Cruise Control Issues - Page 2 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 11:34 PM

Sometimes when a person steps on the brake and then just slides their foot off, the peddle snaps up so quickly it hits the switch and moves it. When this happens, the switch may be right on the brink of going on. If it is acting up, put your foot under the peddle and pull up while you try the cruise again. If that helps, grab the switch and adjust it toward the peddle slightly. The switch is made to auto adjust after installation by pulling up the peddle until it hits the end of travel. There are no nuts to adjust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Truck goes back into the dealer tomorrow as this issue is still ongoing. The break lights fire all by themselves. I have confirmed this both while moving and sitting idle. When sitting idle there is a noise which sounds like a relay or switch under the center console just ahead of the armrest. I can feel it engage and did-engage. You can clearly here it when idle. When I press the brake pedal the switch fires and the brake lights come on normally. the switch by the pedal and does not seem to be the issue as I can put my foot under the pedal to hold it up and the random firing of the switch still happens.

The brakes thankfully do not engage when this happens but the computer thinks they are as the lights come on and thus disengages my cruise or does not let me turn it on at all if the brake lights are already on.

I have even seen the brake light come on when parked and shut off and eve when the truck was up on the hoist getting work done.

Hopefully with this added info the dealer can finally fix this issue tomorrow.
Esoxchaser likes this.
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 12:29 PM

Bad switch or pinched wire under the IP? I hope they take the time this time.

post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So on the fourth visit and with the replacement of the brake switch and a calibration my brake light issue seems to be resolved. I still need to test out the cruise control on the highway but I didn't have any erratic brake lights coming on after I picked it up. Hopefully this is the end of it!
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 09:07 PM

Sounds good!
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 10:46 PM

Got my fingers crossed for ya

2005 5 cyl, Black on Black, 4 door
2016 Z71, Black, Long Box, 4 door
post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Issue still not completely fixed. The new brake switch helped a lot but the issue remains. Truck goes back in on Monday to the dealer. Also have an open support case with GM Customer service as well! My guess is it is better cause the brake switch is brand new, as it ages it will get s worse like the old one.
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassthumper21 View Post
I have a 2016 Canyon extended cab 4x4 I encountered problems with my cruise control today. I have just reached the 5000Km on the truck.I went on a road trip this weekend about 600Km each way. On the way down cruise worked as expected. It was a great drive down, however on the way back I fought the whole way to try and keep cruise control engaged. I would get it set and it would be fine for a bit and then it would stop. The icon would still be lit on the dash but no longer green as if I hadn't set it or I touched the brake. It did this the whole way back, shutting itself off after no specific period. I even pulled off the highway to see if shutting the truck down and starting it again would have a reset effect but I had issue the whole way home. There were no other warnings lights or issues with the truck.

Has anyone encountered any issues with their cruise control?
I wonder if it is a transmission temperature issue?
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 12:36 PM

Like I said before, is the switch being moved?
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Dealer had the truck all day today.*They have ordered a brake switch for the second time now. Waiting for the part to arrive, should hopefully be here*Wednesday or Thursday depending on travel time.
post #31 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Last part they installed had no effect. Issue is still there. They really have no clue! Next appointment has been scheduled for when I am out of town so the can take the truck for a couple days.
post #32 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
They thought they had it solved as they found a connection that had some play in it at the body control module. But that still did not fix the issue. The quest continues. Issue has persisted for a year and they have yet to even find the cause! First GM vehicle I have ever bought. Truck is great other than this brake light issue. So frustrating!
post #33 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well dropped my Canyon off at the dealer this past Thursday. Got an update from them today as the GM Engineers recommended they install a new BCM and guess what the problem still exists. Been driving a 2017 Silverado 1500 Crew cab in the meantime.
post #34 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 02:56 PM

Wow...sorry to hear that the same problem from last summer is still a issue. I have seen some pretty odd-ball problems that took way more time to solve than a simple parts replacement. Those are the ones that make you earn your pay. Also, the dealer should get extra diagnostic time from gm for those odd ones. Who ever is working on it should know the schematic by heart and be looking for ANYTHING!
post #35 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well a day later and hell appears to have frozen over lol. My Dealer finally found the problem in my canyon. Apparently after the failed BCM swap they could still hear the brake relay firing so they traced the wire harness and found a connector that apparently is not on the schematic. The connector had a separated terminal which was shorting with the wire. They rebuilt the connector and the problem looks to finally be resolved! Hopefully this is really the end of this issue.
CyberGreyKindaGuy likes this.
post #36 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 03:09 AM

Alright!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode