Cruise Control Issues - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Cruise Control Issues

I have a 2016 Canyon extended cab 4x4 I encountered problems with my cruise control today. I have just reached the 5000Km on the truck.I went on a road trip this weekend about 600Km each way. On the way down cruise worked as expected. It was a great drive down, however on the way back I fought the whole way to try and keep cruise control engaged. I would get it set and it would be fine for a bit and then it would stop. The icon would still be lit on the dash but no longer green as if I hadn't set it or I touched the brake. It did this the whole way back, shutting itself off after no specific period. I even pulled off the highway to see if shutting the truck down and starting it again would have a reset effect but I had issue the whole way home. There were no other warnings lights or issues with the truck.

Has anyone encountered any issues with their cruise control?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 07:34 PM

No.
Sorry I can't be of any help.

'16 Z71 EC
GMPP Exhaust - K&N (Stock CAI) - Hypertech 89 Octane Tune
Hellwig Anti Sway Bar - Rear

Morimoto HID conversion 5500K
Morimoto LED Projector Fog Lights 5500K
GM Color Matched Grille
AVS VentShades
Colorado badges removed
Black Bow Ties

Red LED Dome lights
Canyon (soft) black center arm rest
Canyon Dark Bronze Aluminum Radio Bezel
Browneye's Rear Seat Shelf

Bed Rug & Tailgate Mats

More to come!
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 09:38 PM

Garage
I wonder if the brake light switch isn't a little loose and activates over a bump shutting off CC. I gather your not accidently hitting brake pedal with foot, floor mat or other.
Esoxchaser likes this.

2016 Canyon CCLB 2.8L Duramax. SLT Nav/bose, driver alert,rear slider.

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

Garage
It didn't seem to be kicking off due to bumps. A few times is would shut right off after me setting it. I guess I will get the dealer to look at it when I go in for my first oil change.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 12:51 PM

Garage
Mine does this on occasion. I thought it might be because I installed a WOT tune..... But it sounds like not. If the incline get to a point it can not maintain speed, it disengages. Tow mode helps or place the shifter in manual shift and shift as needed.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 01:01 PM

Garage
I have the Trfecta tune and have some good sized hills on my daily commute, I have never had the cc shut off on me. On the hills, the truck will down shift to 4th and then 3rd to keep the speed up. The dealer should look at the break switch and the switches on the steering wheel, you may have a short in the steering wheel.

2016 Cardinal Red 4x4 All-Terrain Crew Cab Short Bed

Trifecta Tune
Heated Mirrors
GMC Sill Plates
GMC All-Weather Floor Liners
Front Windows Tinted
Sports Bar with GM Off Road Lights
LED Backup Lights
LED Cargo Lights
Red LED Map Lights
LED Dome Light
LED Vanity Lights
LED License Plate Lights
Cargo Rings
Weathertech Mud Flaps
TonnoPro LoRoll
Lund Bed Extender
Pop-N-Lock
The Stubby Antenna

post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 03:17 PM

Garage
Check for a loose connection involving the brake lights, there is a switch on the brake pedal could be defective this affects the cruise control, this happened to me on my 1st gen Colorado a couple years ago

Alan R
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 01:44 AM

Garage
Forward collision alert turning it off? Camera’s dirty?
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 02:10 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I don't have the nanny cam so I am not sure but I was under the impression the forward collision system was merely a warning and did not step in when there was going to be an issue. Again, could be wrong but I'm certain I read that somewhere...

Aside from that, my money is on a brake switch being faulty. I've never had issues with cruise and I've gone up and down some decent grades even towing a boat and no issues until I put my foot on the no pedal.

Maybe replicate the error while someone follows you to see if the brakes light up? I know the delta platform had some brake switch issues and would cause cruise to stop.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 06:39 AM

Not on my truck.
My1988 Buick Century did have an intermittent problem. Every so often it'd speed up past where I'd set it. One night after a red eye flight I let it go to see if it would stop at some predetermined speed. After passing 90 mph I turned it off as it was just continuing to go faster.
Dealer couldn't replicate the problem and offered no solution. Wrote the zone rep, dealer replaced the c.c. when I showed the response, which was only to give the dealer another chance to fix it. Dealership really freaked out over the letter.
If it hadn't happened to me I would be a skeptic of sudden acceleration. Both the brake and stalk control would turn it off for me though.

2015 Silver Canyon SLT
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the ideas guys. I will have the dealership check the brake switch. The issue wasn't any more prevalent on hills (up or down) vs flat stretches. It would not re-engage when pressing the resume button on the steering wheel and turning it off and on again seemed to have no effect. If I waited 5 mins or so and tried again it would turn on, enable and then randomly drop out of cruise after a bit. I was thinking overheating cruise control but I don't know enough about it to know if that's even possible.
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 01:50 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by and_steve View Post
I don't have the nanny cam so I am not sure but I was under the impression the forward collision system was merely a warning and did not step in when there was going to be an issue. Again, could be wrong but I'm certain I read that somewhere...

Aside from that, my money is on a brake switch being faulty. I've never had issues with cruise and I've gone up and down some decent grades even towing a boat and no issues until I put my foot on the no pedal.

Maybe replicate the error while someone follows you to see if the brakes light up? I know the delta platform had some brake switch issues and would cause cruise to stop.
It says it does but I wouldn't trust it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Collision Alert.JPG (130.4 KB, 50 views)
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 11:51 AM

Hi bassthumper21,

I’m sorry to hear about your cruise control concerns. You're welcome to cruise on in and send us private message, if you need additional assistance. We’re always happy to help our forum friends!

Best,

Anthony J.
GM Customer Care

Check out the NEW Owner Center at: My.Chevrolet.com and My.GMC.com

For information on the GM Privacy Statement, please visit http://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by and_steve View Post

Forward Collision Alert, AKA Nanny Cam, will disengage the cruise control.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I do not have forward collision on my truck as it is the base model. I am making a service appointment tomorrow to bring it in.
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 03:48 PM

Garage
only time CC shut off on me was my forward collision going off from the sun/shadows

CC works 10x better with the WOT tune, @ stock 95kph drops to 85kph on hills before it picks up the pace, WOT drops to maybe 93kph

2015 Canyon SLT
Leather/Nav/Bose v6 4x4 Onyx Black
Spray in liner and soft tonneau
2" level kit, 275/65/18 ko2 (minor rubbing at full lock)
20% tint on front, air dam removed, nfab nerf bars, GM skid plate, superskidz front skid plate
6k hid kit from dd, led fogs
trifecta, kicker vss sub
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Truck is back at the dealer to have them check this issue once again. My latest road trip the cruise control is still misbehaving and this time I got ABS and Stabilitrack alerts from onstar during the return trip. No lights on the dash though. We will see if they can find the issue.
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 11:38 AM

Garage
Ok If your getting ABS and Stabilitrak alerts I am pretty sure that is what's kicking it off. I have had that happen to me when my ABS/Stabilitrak system activated in foul weather situations like a little hydroplaning or slippery conditions. Been several months so I was wracking my brain trying to remember what caused it. Question is what is causing ABS/Stabilitrak to activate. Conditions or something else like a bad sensor or something.

2016 GMC Canyon EC All Terrain V6
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-04-2016, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
2nd trip they couldn't find anything again...tried to blame me saying I was two foot driving. Left and jumped on the highway and confirm issue still happening. Went back to the dealer and took one of their guys out and of course it wouldn't happen. I made a third appointment which is for tomorrow morning. Took it on the highway again this past weekend and couldn't even get the cruise to engage.

It has to be a bad sensor somewhere but it isn't throwing any codes as they checked during my second visit. But for me to not even be able to set a speed, I am wondering if it is a combination of a sensor and maybe the steering wheel controls.

Last edited by bassthumper21; 10-04-2016 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Add info
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Dealer is ordering in a new brake switch to swap in. Hopefully this will show some improvement once installed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode