New PIP for low speed chuggle or shudder - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

New. PIP5342B..for low speed chuggle or shudder

Sated Aug. 15, 2016.

Dealer installed yesterday. I think it may have helped just need more miles for better opinion.

Enlarge thumbnail
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KINDLE_CAMERA_1470405066000.jpg (96.1 KB, 610 views)
Janster likes this.

Last edited by jerryv; 08-19-2016 at 07:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryv View Post
Dated Aug. 15, 2016. PIP5342B

Dealer installed yesterday. I think it may have helped just need more miles for better opinion.

See pic.
Thanks for the information, it would be great if you could attach a pdf scan of this document, I'll print it and take it with me to the dealer to avoid any unnecessary arguments.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkoacanyon View Post
Thanks for the information, it would be great if you could attach a pdf scan of this document, I'll print it and take it with me to the dealer to avoid any unnecessary arguments.
I dont know how to do a scann using my kindle.

I found this PIP # on the internet and gave it to the order writer at the dealer. He had no trouble finding it. It had the B added to the # i gave him..
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 07:06 PM

Is this for the slow acceleration at low speeds ?
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 09:11 PM

This PIP simply states to update the ECM/TCM using the PIP5303 procedure and do nothing else. I had my Canyon at the dealer two days ago and asked for the latest ECM and TCM updates. They said there was nothing new.

It would be nice if we could check the ECM and TCM program in our trucks without having to be satisfied with the dealer telling us nothing new.

Last edited by njacobsen; 08-19-2016 at 10:00 PM.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

He said they did do an update, maybe it was the PIP5303. This is the copy they gave me.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-20-2016, 06:11 PM

Garage
There is definitely a new calibration update. For anyone that is interested, you can use the following website: https://tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web. Enter your VIN. Then select the K20 - engine control module. Then select "programming". Then click "complete history". You'll see all past and current ECM calibrations for each of the 8 calibrations. Newer calibrations are listed on top for each category.

The original PIP update from last year are those that are described as "improved 6 to 5 downshifts". I've used a scan tool to confirm that these were the calibrations installed after I got that update. You can see the "engine operation" category has a new one listed on top described as 12681266 - "New calibration for driveability and idle quality improvements". This is the new PIP update. I use this site for work a lot and periodically check my VIN. This new calibration was not listed last time I checked about a month ago. As a side note, it doesn't look like they updated any of the transmission calibrations (there are 4 for the TCM).
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-20-2016, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breid59 View Post
Is this for the slow acceleration at low speeds ?
The PIP5342B describes slow speeb problems and refers to PIP5303 which describes more of the issues GM is trying to address.

Here is a copy of PIP5303A and the dealer comment on my work order.

I still have what feels like a engine miss at times when slowly accelerating.
Build date 12/2015
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KINDLE_CAMERA_1470502270000.jpg (89.2 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg KINDLE_CAMERA_1470502387000.jpg (57.5 KB, 141 views)

Last edited by jerryv; 08-20-2016 at 08:54 PM.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-20-2016, 10:13 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr5083 View Post
There is definitely a new calibration update. For anyone that is interested, you can use the following website: https://tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web. Enter your VIN. Then select the K20 - engine control module. Then select "programming". Then click "complete history". You'll see all past and current ECM calibrations for each of the 8 calibrations. Newer calibrations are listed on top for each category.

The original PIP update from last year are those that are described as "improved 6 to 5 downshifts". I've used a scan tool to confirm that these were the calibrations installed after I got that update. You can see the "engine operation" category has a new one listed on top described as 12681266 - "New calibration for driveability and idle quality improvements". This is the new PIP update. I use this site for work a lot and periodically check my VIN. This new calibration was not listed last time I checked about a month ago. As a side note, it doesn't look like they updated any of the transmission calibrations (there are 4 for the TCM).
Question for you and pardon my ignorance: This web site shows what updates are installed in your vehicle, or what updates are available for your vehicle?
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-21-2016, 10:11 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyG View Post
Question for you and pardon my ignorance: This web site shows what updates are installed in your vehicle, or what updates are available for your vehicle?
It shows what updates are available, not what is installed
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-21-2016, 12:07 PM

Quote:

I'm sort of questioning this as well. A history based on a VIN would indicate what has been done to a vehicle and what not is pending IMHO. Mind you, the lack of an assigned CVN number could indicate that the update has yet to be performed.

Great information BTW!

Here is an example of mine.

Calibration History for: Engine Operation

Part Number CVN Description

12681266 N/A - New calibration for driveability and idle quality improvements

12671363 0000E9E1 - New calibration with diagnostic enhancements for DTC P0300, and improvements to 6-5 downshifts.

12666617 00000FFC - New calibration to enhance low oil message processing, and improve cruise control operation.

12665683 0000558F - New calibration with improvements for misfire detection.

12664629 000018F7 - New calibration to address problem occuring at the assembly plant only. Does not address any service issues.

12664115 000032DA - Engine Operation

Last edited by impact; 08-21-2016 at 12:10 PM.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-21-2016, 12:32 PM

Garage
Mine is the same as impact's except that the P/N is 12681265. It also shows CVN to be "N/A".

2015 Canyon SLT Crew Cab, SB, V6, 2WD, Onyx Black, Jet Black Leather, Nav, Bose, Tow, Safety Pkg, Spray Liner, BAK RevolverX2
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-21-2016, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Thanks for that clarification.

What is the significance of CVN listed as N/A such as for the latest for Engine Operation (12681266)? Does that mean it has been developed but not yet available to the dealer?

It appears the only way to track available updates is to periodically look at the Programming detail keeping a dated copy as reference.

Last edited by njacobsen; 08-21-2016 at 04:33 PM.
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-21-2016, 09:35 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by njacobsen View Post
Thanks for that clarification.

What is the significance of CVN listed as N/A such as for the latest for Engine Operation (12681266)? Does that mean it has been developed but not yet available to the dealer?

It appears the only way to track available updates is to periodically look at the Programming detail keeping a dated copy as reference.

I'm not sure why the CVN is listed as N/A. My guess is that they just didn't enter it into this system yet or that the calibration isn't completely ready/available. However, the OP is stating that he got the update so it sounds like it should be available (might depend on the dealer). OBD regs/protocols require a CVN to be reported for each calibration for things like engine and transmission so it must have one.

BTW - that is the CVN stands for calibration verification number, a random checksum that is specific to the calibration. If you modify the calibration at all then the CVN will change (e.g., installing an aftermarket tune).
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-21-2016, 11:36 PM

Garage
Quote:
Thanks for the info, it is great. Looks like there is some confusion on the information this website shows. I made an appointment with my dealer for Tuesday and I will ask to please check the status of the calibrations on my vehicle. I will post what they tell me.
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 02:07 AM

Garage
I went to see the butter cow last week and rented a 2016 Impala, stepping on the gas the engine would occasionally rev up 2k in rpm’s and not down shift or increase speed. I’ll take chuggle over that bad programming any day.
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 07:44 PM

Garage
Quote:
Thanks for the info, it is great. Looks like there is some confusion on the information this website shows. I made an appointment with my dealer for Tuesday and I will ask to please check the status of the calibrations on my vehicle. I will post what they tell me.
Took Tuesday and I was told that there is nothing new and my truck has the latest calibrations. Because I am not sure if they are right or wrong, I decided not to argue. I will ask again when I take it for the next oil change.
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 09:43 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by impact View Post
I'm sort of questioning this as well. A history based on a VIN would indicate what has been done to a vehicle and what not is pending IMHO. Mind you, the lack of an assigned CVN number could indicate that the update has yet to be performed.

Great information BTW!

Here is an example of mine.

Calibration History for: Engine Operation

Part Number CVN Description

12681266 N/A - New calibration for driveability and idle quality improvements

12671363 0000E9E1 - New calibration with diagnostic enhancements for DTC P0300, and improvements to 6-5 downshifts.

12666617 00000FFC - New calibration to enhance low oil message processing, and improve cruise control operation.

12665683 0000558F - New calibration with improvements for misfire detection.

12664629 000018F7 - New calibration to address problem occuring at the assembly plant only. Does not address any service issues.

12664115 000032DA - Engine Operation
Quote:
Took Tuesday and I was told that there is nothing new and my truck has the latest calibrations. Because I am not sure if they are right or wrong, I decided not to argue. I will ask again when I take it for the next oil change.

I took my truck in the other day and got the update. I had to remind them that I previously received the PIP5303 update and that it helped but still have occasional issues with the transmission being in too high of a gear when trying to get back on the gas and I was wondering if there were more recent updates. Without a complaint, they may not look for an update for you depending on the dealer unless it's a recall. Here is a screenshot of the cal IDs and CVNs I read using a scan tool after the update. The new calibration for me is 12681266 with CVN: 000005A0 which replaced Cal ID: 12671363 CVN: 0000E9E1. I can post my receipt if anyone is interested but I forgot it at work yesterday.
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 09:45 AM

Garage
Quote:
I took my truck in the other day and got the update. I had to remind them that I previously received the PIP5303 update and that it helped but still have occasional issues with the transmission being in too high of a gear when trying to get back on the gas and I was wondering if there were more recent updates. Without a complaint, they may not look for an update for you depending on the dealer unless it's a recall. Here is a screenshot of the cal IDs and CVNs I read using a scan tool after the update. The new calibration for me is 12681266 with CVN: 000005A0 which replaced Cal ID: 12671363 CVN: 0000E9E1. I can post my receipt if anyone is interested but I forgot it at work yesterday.
forgot the screenshot
Attached Images
File Type: png Capture.PNG (4.7 KB, 98 views)
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 11:11 AM

Garage
Quote:
Probably they just looked at the recalls, not the calibrations as you said. Would you recommend a scan tool I can purchase? Next time I would like to go to the dealer with all the ammunition on hand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode