• 1 Post By robbpoe
  • 1 Post By ernster500
  • 1 Post By plastrd
  • 1 Post By CaryBosse

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-22-2016, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Towing Hitch Height?

I am aware that the correct hitch height with the trailer connected should be level. If not, is it acceptable to invert the receiver and mount the ball on the opposite side?

2016 White Colorado Ext. Cab.LT 3.6 V6 6 Spd. Automatic 2WD 3.42 Gears:

Factory Fender Flares (Dealer installed)
BAKflip G2 Tonneau Cover
Bed Mat
Curt 51140 Brake Controller
GM Black Bow Tie Set
Factory Towing Package w/7,700 lb. hitch

See my album for pics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-22-2016, 06:14 PM

Garage
If you're referring to ball height it Should be no problem.. But…. Always check for advisements and/or warnings on the drop.

There are now many drops that are adjustable or permanent to raise or lower your ball height

Trailer Hitch Ball Mounts, Adjustable, Multi-Ball, Aluminum, Cushioned and Long | etrailer.com

2016 Canyon SLT 2.8 Duramax 4x4 SBCC White
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-22-2016, 06:16 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16WhiteColly View Post
I am aware that the correct hitch height with the trailer connected should be level. If not, is it acceptable to invert the receiver and mount the ball on the opposite side?
Here is a video that may help answer your question:

robbpoe likes this.

2016 COLORADO LT 4X4 CCSB (Build Thread)
DURAMAXDIESEL MIDNIGHT EDITION

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-22-2016, 06:18 PM

Garage
There are tons of receivers out there for lifting and lowering to the correct height...if just flipping it over gets you what you need I wouldn't think there would be a problem with that as long as the receiver is rated for your load. Check the website specs of your receiver to be sure...I'd had to give someone bad advice and if anything does break, could end up being a legal issue.

What are you towing that is so high that you need lift it higher? I find on my Z71 that I usually have the opposite problem and need to bring it down a bit to level, if I bother...maybe I just have stiffer suspension on the 4WD?
Janster likes this.

2016 Colorado
Red Hot Trail Boss
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16WhiteColly View Post
Yes....as long as your receiver & BALL meet the proper weight capacity (they are not all created equal) and the height is what you need.

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 11:24 AM

I use a standard 2" drop hitch turned upside down. I found that puts the front of my trailer with 525 lb tongue weight just a hair above level.

2016 Canyon SLT Crew Cab Shortbox Duramax Diesel, Summit White/Jet Black.

Engine built 1/12/16
Placed order 2/20/16
Dealer ordered 2/25/16
Target Production Week 4/11/16
Built and shipped 4/12/16
Delivered to dealer 4/22/16
Drove it home 4/27/16
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 11:32 AM

I also tow my boat with a 2" drop flipped for a slight rise. Most are listed as a #" drop, or #" rise, and can be used as either.

2015 Black Canyon
Crew Cab Short Box All Terrain
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 12:46 PM

Garage
i just run a 2" drop, ive got a 2 inch level and 1 inch rear block my boat sits almost level

2015 red hot ext cab z71
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 404 Not Found View Post
I use a standard 2" drop hitch turned upside down. I found that puts the front of my trailer with 525 lb tongue weight just a hair above level.
That is what I am running for my popup camper.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 06:51 PM

Garage
I've got idea..
instead of starting 25 different threads, why don't you simply list all your questions in ONE thread?
The best thing to do is to use the search function(for an answer to your 'which oil should I use?' gem, for example), then just introduce yourself, and say 'hey, I've got a bunch of questions'

2016 Colorado 2.8L D-max, Crew Cab, Long Bed, Z71, 4WD.
ZONE 5.5" Suspension Lift
Moto Metal 970 17x8.5"
Nitto Terra G-G2s, 295/70/17
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 07:22 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yokev View Post
I've got idea..
instead of starting 25 different threads, why don't you simply list all your questions in ONE thread?
The best thing to do is to use the search function(for an answer to your 'which oil should I use?' gem, for example), then just introduce yourself, and say 'hey, I've got a bunch of questions'
I get using the search function, but, don't agree with the multiple questions in one thread concept because then the search function would become useless. If I run a search for "hitch ball height" and a thread titled, "I am new here" comes up, I am probably going to skip it because it seemingly doesn't specifically pertain to what I am looking for and really don't want to scan through five pages of posts that may or may not be relevant.

Case in point is the "What Did You do to your Colorado" thread. almost 400 pages of what people did and it might have my answer in there. But, how many people are going to wade through that many posts to maybe find what they are looking for. It's like going to a flea market. But, with the power of a forum and a little luck, someone may have posted a specific, current thread with a title that matches my questions. I personally think that is the whole point of an interactive forum... But, might just be me...
jrc847 likes this.

2016 COLORADO LT 4X4 CCSB (Build Thread)
DURAMAXDIESEL MIDNIGHT EDITION
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Maybe because they are about different topics and should be posted in the correct section of the forum. No one said you had to read them.

2016 White Colorado Ext. Cab.LT 3.6 V6 6 Spd. Automatic 2WD 3.42 Gears:

Factory Fender Flares (Dealer installed)
BAKflip G2 Tonneau Cover
Bed Mat
Curt 51140 Brake Controller
GM Black Bow Tie Set
Factory Towing Package w/7,700 lb. hitch

See my album for pics
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 10:58 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernster500 View Post
I get using the search function, but, don't agree with the multiple questions in one thread concept because then the search function would become useless. If I run a search for "hitch ball height" and a thread titled, "I am new here" comes up, I am probably going to skip it because it seemingly doesn't specifically pertain to what I am looking for and really don't want to scan through five pages of posts that may or may not be relevant.

Case in point is the "What Did You do to your Colorado" thread. almost 400 pages of what people did and it might have my answer in there. But, how many people are going to wade through that many posts to maybe find what they are looking for. It's like going to a flea market. But, with the power of a forum and a little luck, someone may have posted a specific, current thread with a title that matches my questions. I personally think that is the whole point of an interactive forum... But, might just be me...
When you pull up the search engine, it will show you that it can/will pull up individual posts showing the search(ed) words.
Also, there are people(with a lot of knowledge on the subject) that purposely scan the new member section looking for questions they can help with

2016 Colorado 2.8L D-max, Crew Cab, Long Bed, Z71, 4WD.
ZONE 5.5" Suspension Lift
Moto Metal 970 17x8.5"
Nitto Terra G-G2s, 295/70/17
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 07:57 AM

The search function on this forum is probably the most useless one I've ever come across. "Oil" for example would apparently cause the hamster wheels in the 486 PC running this site to lock up solid from the strain so you can't search for three letter words. This makes finding anything about oil, LED, or HID headlights surprisingly difficult to find.
I even tried searching for the subject of OP's other thread "which oil should I use" and got this super helpful result:

Seriously?

The two google search bars on the right side dump results from the entire site so your results will be co-mingled with 1st gen info which will be mostly useless when it comes to 2nd gen trucks. The results are also jammed with duplicates because it'll return both a thread page view, individual post views from those threads and even the page from a user's profile where their post is mentioned.

Lifting some of the ridiculous site search limitations would be an excellent first step toward reducing duplicate posts. I can search for "v8 oil" over on the Camaro5 forums, limit it to the Engine/Drivetrain section of the forum, and find exactly what I'm looking for. Do the same over here and you're greeted with:
The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search : v6, oil

Sorry for the rant but every time someone tells a new user to use the search I have to wonder if they've ever successfully used the search themselves.
ernster500 likes this.

2016 Canyon CC LB SLE AT, Cyber Gray
Eibach Pro Truck Sport RHA shocks leveled at 1.4", Access Vanish tonneau cover
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastrd View Post
The search function on this forum is probably the most useless one I've ever come across. "Oil" for example would apparently cause the hamster wheels in the 486 PC running this site to lock up solid from the strain so you can't search for three letter words. This makes finding anything about oil, LED, or HID headlights surprisingly difficult to find.
I even tried searching for the subject of OP's other thread "which oil should I use" and got this super helpful result:
Seriously?

The two google search bars on the right side dump results from the entire site so your results will be co-mingled with 1st gen info which will be mostly useless when it comes to 2nd gen trucks. The results are also jammed with duplicates because it'll return both a thread page view, individual post views from those threads and even the page from a user's profile where their post is mentioned.

Lifting some of the ridiculous site search limitations would be an excellent first step toward reducing duplicate posts. I can search for "v8 oil" over on the Camaro5 forums, limit it to the Engine/Drivetrain section of the forum, and find exactly what I'm looking for. Do the same over here and you're greeted with:
The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search : v6, oil

Sorry for the rant but every time someone tells a new user to use the search I have to wonder if they've ever successfully used the search themselves.
Someone should probably start a thread in another appropriate forum about the SEARCH feature.

I have a semi-photographic memory, so I can often remember topics that have been discussed and can narrow down the search criteria pretty well. Using quotations around phrases, some odd word in a topic, even one of the posters (usually myself) can help narrow the search.

A new member stumbling into our world could have a lot of trouble trying to find a topic. Doesn't mean they shouldn't try search first, but in the end, they may have to rely on an old member to point them in the right direction.

We have had a lot of threads about the hitch/receiver/tow package. I am a bit anal, the clinical term is OCD, but I would probably read almost any of them that had a title that caught my eye. In htat regard, people who start a thread should make the title the most important thing they type.

Note: You can also require a search term to be limited to title only, as opposed to anywhere in the thread. That is helpful at times in searching.

@yokev,

I prefer individual threads with, as I just stated, descriptive titles. If you bury your questions in a new member introduction with a tile like "Hi, I am a new member for Tupelo, Mississippi, the only reason I might consider reading your thread is to see if you ever met Elvis. (Okay, not really that big an Elvis fan, but making a point. For that matter, we all remember where we were when Kennedy was shot, when the Challenger exploded, when the Towers fell. How many of you could tell us where you were when Elvis died? ---- I was driving from Panama City Beach to Louisiana after a much needed vacation where I had seen, of all things, an Elvis impersonator. Remember, I have a pretty weird memory bank.)
ernster500 likes this.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode