Hard to find replacement Air Filter locally. - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Hard to find replacement Air Filter locally.

Did oil change and service at home, almost 40K so I decided to replace air filter.
I went to 3 different parts stores Saturday and not a single one had air filter for 2015 V6 in stock, all order only. I missed the closing of the local Chevy Dealer parts counter by an hour and I HATE going to that place any ways. It's frustrating dealing with those morons and the all around terrible customer service at that dealership (not where I bought it).

Has anyone else had problem finding them? I guess I will order online.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 12:15 PM

I inquired about one just for curiosity sake couple of weeks ago, same result. Big 3 had to order it, oddly they could get a K&N faster. Also, a 4th didn't have a listing for filter, but could get a K&N intake.
Not really sure why GM had to make another filter design, between the camaro, silverado, and older colorado/canyons you would think there was more then enough options to suffice. My opinion tho
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCogan86 View Post
I inquired about one just for curiosity sake couple of weeks ago, same result. Big 3 had to order it, oddly they could get a K&N faster. Also, a 4th didn't have a listing for filter, but could get a K&N intake.
Not really sure why GM had to make another filter design, between the camaro, silverado, and older colorado/canyons you would think there was more then enough options to suffice. My opinion tho
I had trouble with O'Reilly and Autozone a while back, but at time, dealer had air filters on sale: Even dealer had to order, but he had it the next day.

I remember when you could go to Walmart or K-Mart and they had most of the air filters on the shelf. Now days, the variety is too great. You would think that an engineer would find a way to use a standard part for something like this rather than re-design the blasted thing.

I had a 1978 Ford LTD II with a V8 302. Ford made a few of those engines back then. You know, Mustangs, T-Birds, regular LTDs, etc. Same frame on the LTD II as the T-Bird of that time frame. Turns out the air filter was specific to the LTD II and worse, the only vehicle that took that size tire was an LTD II. Nothing like calling a tire retailer and asking for a size tire and they saying, oh, you drive an LTD II.

Volume of our trucks is reaching a point where I would expect a few places will start stocking our air filters.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 12:25 PM

i picked up an air filter from the dealer and changed it myself. what a PITA! My last few cars have all had clips that hold the housing in place. This truck has four screws. Once they are out, it's very difficult to move the housing to get to the filter.

Are folks taking off the housing by disconnecting the intake hose?

2016 Colorado LT 4WD, Long-Box, Laser Blue/Jet Ash. Convenience & Luxury packages, Factory Spray-in Bed Liner, Safety Package, Trailering Package, Mud Flaps, Quad-fold G4 hard tonneau cover, 3" OEM steps, All-season OEM floor mats

Ordered 5/22/15
TPW: 7/13/15
Received: 8/8/15
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imref View Post
i picked up an air filter from the dealer and changed it myself. what a PITA! My last few cars have all had clips that hold the housing in place. This truck has four screws. Once they are out, it's very difficult to move the housing to get to the filter.

Are folks taking off the housing by disconnecting the intake hose?
I do. Disconnect intake hose, disconnect MAF wire and take the cap off. It did not seem difficult when I did mine.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 02:09 PM

The screws are tight also. I found that using a socket ratchet and extention with screwdriver bit was a lot easier than just a screwdriver. Yes, having screws is total BS. Just another way for the dealer to charge $300.00 to look at your filter.

2016 Canyon SLT Crew Cab Shortbox Duramax Diesel, Summit White/Jet Black.

Engine built 1/12/16
Placed order 2/20/16
Dealer ordered 2/25/16
Target Production Week 4/11/16
Built and shipped 4/12/16
Delivered to dealer 4/22/16
Drove it home 4/27/16
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agsy View Post
I do. Disconnect intake hose, disconnect MAF wire and take the cap off. It did not seem difficult when I did mine.
thanks, I tried to change it without disconnecting the MAF and the intake hose, much more difficult that way. :)

2016 Colorado LT 4WD, Long-Box, Laser Blue/Jet Ash. Convenience & Luxury packages, Factory Spray-in Bed Liner, Safety Package, Trailering Package, Mud Flaps, Quad-fold G4 hard tonneau cover, 3" OEM steps, All-season OEM floor mats

Ordered 5/22/15
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 02:27 PM

I just use a large Phillips #3 Screwdriver, not a big issue. I also loosen the hose clamp from the filter to the engine and pull the hose loose from the air filter housing. Nut driver would work best on this, but I just used a slotted screwdriver, one of my larger ones, probably 5/16" blade? It is tight, but I can then remove the filter without needing to undo the sensor connector. My memory is that the wiring to the sensor also had a clamp that had to be removed as well, without removing that, unhooking the connector didn't buy you anything.

I had Autozone order me a filter two weeks ago. They offered to ship it direct to my address, so I had it shipped to my office. No extra costs over the $17 cost of the filter. Ordered on a Saturday, arrived on Wednesday, although it was promised for Tuesday.

I just can't justify buying 6 at a time on Amazon or Rock Auto and having to find a place to store them.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 02:27 PM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CPTTango30 Send a message via MSN to CPTTango30
I just bought a K&N filter. Problem solved.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryBosse View Post
I just can't justify buying 6 at a time on Amazon or Rock Auto and having to find a place to store them.
agreed, especially since mine probably didn't even need changing at 18k, 20 months.

Ordered 5/22/15
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode