Pic of stuff captured:

Thanks!

ME:
Engine type: 2016 v6
Miles on vehicle:6319
Amount captured:1 fluid ounce
Miles it took to capture amount:1012
Type of engine oil used:Valvoline full synthetic
Type of can:Elite original, (pcv side only)

p.s. if anyone is curious mention that you would like to see a post about the intake/engine cover. I'm going to remove my engine cover soon to examine the amount of blowby oil entering my intake at the pcv and clean side to check effectiveness of the can removing the "stuff". I'm concerned that after my can install that I will have more oil entering the "clean side" now because of flow resistance from extra hose length and the can itself being added to the pcv side. (my clean air side is stock) OMG I'm such a nerd! And not just concerning cars!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Engine type: 3.6L V6
Miles on vehicle: 7700
Amount captured: 7 ounces
Miles it took to capture amount: +/- 7200
Type of engine oil used: Pennzoil Ultra since first oil change (~1500)
Type of can: Elite E2 PCV side
Pic of stuff captured:

Reactions: Mikeiser
#4 ·
It will be interesting to see if that ratio holds across the board.

I would be interested to see what your intake looks like. I don't have a truck yet, still waiting on the ZR2, but will be going the can route when I get it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Yes, I'm going to pull the cover off and look. It's just been so cold and rainy that I haven't felt like messing with it yet. But I will.....

Reactions: robbpoe
#8 ·
If we had more data it would be nice. But, I wonder if full synthetic oil slows the rate of blowby oil in the intake? looks like this might get close to 2 oz at 1000 miles. Factory fill is a syn blend right?

#14 ·
Did you look at the date of the posts on the Malibu Forum? They are describing problems with vehicles several years before our trucks were built. How about using information specific to LFX engines 2015 and newer. We have had enough hysteria caused by issue examples with engines from other manufacturers several years ago that have no relation to Colorados or Canyons.

#17 ·
So long as people aren't going nuts, I don't think they care.
The consensual thought seems to be,
1. port injection keeps valves clean and
2. there is conflicting evidence whether there is any true benefit to the end user with various motors. Especially when vehicle turnover now is a lot higher then years past.

Nonetheless, I do enjoy reading and learning more about engine mechanics.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#18 ·
Actually this exact thread was deleted once already. Just the mention of the dreaded catch can is the reason. Thats why I'm asking to move this stuff somewhere else and keep the thread clean with just info about the caught blow-by oil stuff.....

#20 ·
i agree that this thread should only be for logging capture results.

No need for the thread to get locked again for discussion which eventually leads to back and forth.

#22 ·
Engine type: 2015 3.6 V6
Miles on vehicle: 7588
Amount captured: see picture (dont have a measuring cup I want to get dirty)
Miles it took to capture amount: 888 miles
Type of engine oil used: Dealer oil fill
Type of can: Elite standard can

Pic of stuff captured:

Note: I have a KNN aftermarket intake installed. Dont know if that makes a difference or not but wanted to note it anyway.

#23 ·
Engine type: 2015 3.6 V6
Miles on vehicle: 7588
Amount captured: see picture (dont have a measuring cup I want to get dirty)
Miles it took to capture amount: 888 miles
Type of engine oil used: Dealer oil fill
Type of can: Elite standard can

Pic of stuff captured:

Note: I have a KNN aftermarket intake installed. Dont know if that makes a difference or not but wanted to note it anyway.
What do you guys think? I'm going to guess that is well over an oz. ? probably 1 and a half? I don't go to starbucks so I'm not sure...lol

#24 ·
as promised, update on intake hose/cover inspection.
GOOD NEWS! the intake hose was clean as a whistle. I saw a little oil on the vent hose when I pulled it off, scared me at first but it is clean. Looking inside the intake through the TB I could see a small amount of wetness but nothing like when I pulled it last time(it was practically dripping with oil then). I'm thinking the can is catching damn near all the blowby/oil. If it stays this way I have no need for a clean side seperator either. The throttle body looked just like it did when I removed the intake manifold about 2k ago(a little blackness but very little). Like a dummy I forgot to clean it last time but I did this time. I got some pics.

Attachments

#29 ·
Sorry the only pic of the inside of the intake was the one with my green screwdriver in the TB. Was too dark to see in the pic, but yes, it sure does look like its working. I don't want to say too much but because I don't want to turn this into a dreaded catch can thread but I will say I am a firm believer too. when I pull my intake again at about 11k I/we can compare pictures. Then celebrate...lol You can view my first intake removal here: http://coloradofans.com/forums/185-...22001-proof-you-need-catch-can-something.html

#30 ·
Engine type: 2016 3.6 V6
Miles on vehicle: 9100
Amount captured: 1 oz.
Miles it took to capture amount: 1000
Type of oil used: Pennzoil Platinum
Type of catch can: Elite E2
Pic of oil caught: Didn't get one have old flip phone camera doesn't take good pics, you'll just have to trust me on that.

I had the dealer change the oil when the truck had 1000 miles on it. Installed the catch can at 2700 miles on truck, and emptied 1.5oz. of oil out of can per 1000 miles on the dealer fill up to the 5000 mile mark. At 5000 miles I changed the oil and put in Pennzoil Plat. and have dumped right at 1 oz. per 1000 miles since. I empty the can right at each 1k miles which equals right at once a month.

#31 ·
Engine type: V6
Miles on vehicle: 16530
Amount captured: ~ 8 ounces
Miles it took to capture amount: ~1000
Type of engine oil used: Mobil 1
Type of can: Elite E2-X Dual Port

Lots of posts with "clean" oil captured. This is my third drain and it has always been the same frothy, smelly, stuff.

#32 · (Edited)
Miles on vehicle: 16530
Amount captured: ~ 8 ounces
Miles it took to capture amount: ~1000
Type of can: Elite E2-X Dual Port

Lots of posts with "clean" oil captured. This is my third drain and it has always been the same frothy, smelly, stuff.
That's about normal in very cold weather like the upper Midwest. I get more in my Elite catch can in witner than in warmer weather. That yellow stuff is oil/water emulsion formed by oil and water vapor or mist mixing and then condensing inside the Oil Catch Can. How much you get per 1,000 miles depends a lot on your typical daily trips and driving time.
If the engine does not get more than and hour of run time each time it is started, moisture builds up in the crankcase, under the valve covers, etc. The Oil Catch Can is doing the job collecting that stuff. Many times you will see the same yellow stuff on the underside of the oil filler cap.

I get about the same amount in winter. In warmer weather, or when traveling on the highway for long periods, I get maybe 1.5oz of only oil in 1,500 miles of driving. The yellow stuff builds up faster because it is probably 60% water and makes for more volume.

Reactions: Rememo and White016
#35 · (Edited)
I guess braking an engine in hard is the correct way unlike the way GM wants you to. Every motor I build within the first 20 - 50 miles I'm taking it to redline and engine braking from there. With the air damn removed I average 21.1 mpg at a 41 mph avg. And I floor it pretty occasionally cause I hate slow drivers lol

Engine type: 3.6l
Miles on vehicle: 8,708
Amount captured: 9ml or about 1/3 oz
Miles it took to capture amount: 400
Type of engine oil used: Mobile 1 EP
Type of can: Standard Elite
Pic of stuff captured:

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

#37 ·
I've always believed in catch cans, always had friends running them from Jeeps to Malibus. Its evidence that when going forced induction, listen to your engine shop mechanic! It'll save you on the amount of blow by vs buying pistons and rings from a catalog.
Fun fact, we did a Cummins 5.9 swap on a caddi. Engine was so worn it would create enough blowby to pop the dipstick out. You'd hear a faint "thunk" as it hit the underside of the hood.

#38 ·
Engine type: 2016 v6
Miles on vehicle: 1805
Amount captured: ~2 oz
Miles it took to capture amount: 663
Type of engine oil used: Factory Fill
Type of can: Elite Engineering E2-X + Clean Side
Pic of stuff captured: N/A - Forgot to take one before dumping it.

Drove the truck harder for the last 663 miles. Swapped the factory fill out for Royal Purple 5w30.

#39 ·
Miles on vehicle: 32172
Amount captured: +/- 8 ounces
Miles it took to capture amount: 5165.7
Type of can: Elite E2 + Clean Side Separator
Oil life monitor: 26%

I changed my oil late last night and didn't snap a picture. My can captured the sale frothy, smelly, stuff that Rememo shows. This time of year it tends to be this way.

I'm curious to see how much my supercharger will change what my can captures. >:)

#40 ·
I'm new here but not new to trucks or engines.
While researching the possible need for a catch can on my '16 3.6, I now have a few more questions......

1. Why is the mention of a catch can here bad to the point that guys are afraid of a thread being locked?

2. If not allowed to mention a catch can, why is it OK to talk about the amount of oil, blowby, and crud captured in one?

If needed, feel to PM me......

#41 ·
In the past folks have gotten into arguments about whether or not they are needed (including me, lol). Apparently it got very heated in a thread to the point they banned someone. (not really sure why) Sooo, it seems to be ok as long as peps aren't arguing about the need for them. Too bad really cause a lot can be learned in such a thread....I started this one because I'm curious about how much gunk they are catching. I really don't want this to get locked because it will ruin a lot of good info IMO. For instance I'm curious to see how synthetic oil changes things, and how well different types of cans are working. If you want to know more or whatever, I say go for it! please just start another thread to do it though. :)

Reactions: madcratebuilder
#42 ·
Thanks JScottM,
That's kind of what I was looking for.
I'm not here to get into or start any P___ING matches, I just wanna learn from the guys who know more than me or who've done the things I'm planning to do.

I do have a question that I think fits here:

What's up with the different colors/ consistencies in "cought" stuff?
Some looks like straight oil and some looks like something completely unidentifiable.

Thanks again.....

#45 ·
It seems people in cold climates catch more water vapor. It fills the can with a mix of water and oil crap. Looks like a milkshake. But for us in the warmer climates it seems to be just oil ****. I havent seen anything but oil looking stuff in mine. It usually doesn't get below about 40 deg here and my garage is more like 50 at the lowest I think.

#44 · (Edited)

Attachments

#52 ·
Engine type: 3.6 V6
Miles on vehicle: 2,800
Amount captured: Approx. 1 ounce
Miles it took to capture amount: 1,000
Type of engine oil used: Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic
Type of can: Moroso
Pic of stuff captured: See attached. The "2" is a 2 ounce mark I made by measuring and pouring in 2 ounces of water beforehand.

Attachments

#53 ·
Interesting that we are catching basically the exact same amount of blowby every 1000 miles, with the same type of oil

Reactions: White016
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.