2016 "Chuggle Or Shudder" - GM Has Let Us Down - Page 2 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 90Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 207 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabberjaw View Post
The latest updates for the ECM and PCM should have resolved the hesitation defect, or reduced it significantly except under very heavy acceleration. There are 3 existing defects in my opinion:

1) Clunk - introduced with the latest updates based on my personal experience
2) Shudder - this is a day one defect. No updates have improved it
3) Drops too many gears under heavy acceleration - engine RPM's hit about 5K and there is no load, then goes into the next higher gear and engine load is restored.

I bought manual transmissions in every new vehicle I purchased except for this one. I don't like automatic transmissions for this exact reason. Never drove one that didn't have defects in the shift patterns. When I travelled, I rented many vehicles and was not impressed with too many of the automatic transmissions.
I sold my no-problems 1999 Ram 2500, diesel 5 speed with 276K miles on it to get the Colorado. I don't tow travel trailers or horse trailer any more and got tired of shifting the heavy South Bend clutch. Sure wish I had it back and could start all over.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 207 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 09:58 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by $CR3133 View Post
If I can?t find a reasonable solution, a programer will be in my future after the warenty is out. Eight months old with 5,400 miles on it, and 1497 of this is one trip, I'll probably reach the three years before I reach 36,000 miles. I am so dissatisfied with it, I only drive it when I have to.
The power train warranty, which includes the engine and transmission control units and their programming, is 60k miles, not 36k.

Once I started running premium gas in my truck, the truck's computers have reacted such that my Canyon shifts much better.

I don't want to do anything to jeopardize the power train warranty (I have a '15 so its 100k miles) as I've read of too many serious potential engine issues like this one:

Truck left me stranded... brown sludge coming out of coolant reservoir

2015 Canyon SLT Crew Cab, SB, V6, 2WD, Onyx Black, Jet Black Leather, Nav, Bose, Tow, Safety Pkg, Spray Liner, BAK RevolverX2, OPT7 LED Lows
post #23 of 207 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 02:17 PM

Quote:
I sold my no-problems 1999 Ram 2500, diesel 5 speed with 276K miles on it to get the Colorado. I don't tow travel trailers or horse trailer any more and got tired of shifting the heavy South Bend clutch. Sure wish I had it back and could start all over.
It's too bad that you are having the troubles, I too had the same issues with my 2016 Canyon from day 1 when I took delivery back on Sept 29. I did try a tune but not having any real expertise with tuning and such, I changed my mind and decided to see if I could it resolved through GM. I took my truck back to the dealership about 3 weeks ago and explained to them about what I was dealing with and the service bulletin concerning the problems. I felt that no only the trans was a problem but the engine and throttle wasn't synced up with the trans at all, there was so much hesitation between them so they checked into what I told them and they found it and the tech, who was really good, reloaded the latest programs into the trans and engine and he went with me as I drove for the test drive. He asked me when I would know and I told him immediately since it was never really right in my opinion. Well, it took care of 99.9% of my problems, the accelerator, engine, and trans all seem to be in sync. The chuggle and shutter are gone for mine and the truck doesn't act anything like t did before the trip to dealership. My wife said you shouldn't have to pay 500 dollars or more to fix something that manufacturer should fix and she's right. So far so good and we'll see if it holds. Good luck, hope you can get resolved without having to take a bath on trading it off. I'm totally happy with my truck now and hope I have many years of trouble ownership.

2016 GMC Canyon All Terrain 4 wheel drive crew cab with 6' bed in Cardinal Red. Mods, Pedal Commander and Elite E-2 catch can.

post #24 of 207 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Do you happen to have more info on the program and anything else that was done to fix your truck? Dealer info, mechanics name, anything that I could pass on to the service manager at my dealership?
post #25 of 207 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 02:34 PM

GM hasn't let any anybody down. Based on customer concerns, GM offered a software update for the gasser trucks. While it may not make some customers happy, it doesn't mean GM isn't trying.

"Brownstone Bumblebee" 2016 Diesel Colorado Z71 CCSB 4X4, Brownstone Metallic
HPD and Provent 200 Catch Cans, Amsoil Fluids, MetalMan Front Differential, Engine Oil Pan, & Steering Motor Skid Plate, Undercover Swing Cases
Say No! to Wheelers's Offroad!

"I respect everyone's opinion, no matter how wrong it may be."
post #26 of 207 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

Read the bottom of PIP5342B that I posted. They have quit.....
post #27 of 207 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 03:35 PM

Thumbs down

Normal driving around I now use the tow/haul mode, with all the hills in Western PA. you get tired of this shifting issue.
post #28 of 207 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Do you happen to have more info on the program and anything else that was done to fix your truck? Dealer info, mechanics name, anything that I could pass on to the service manager at my dealership?
According to the tech, he said my truck had the latest programs which is the one listed in many of the thread PIP5342B but decided to re-flash both the engine and trans computers. He said the original programs may have gotten some trash into the initial programming and reloaded known good clean programs and that was it, truck has been fine since. I was glad my tech decided to go ahead and re-flash both computers, he was more than understanding and wanting to make things right for me. My truck was assembled in Aug of this year but like he stated, something could of trashed the original downloads at the factory. Good luck, hopefully your dealership will take the time and re-flash your computers top get you being happy with your truck.

2016 GMC Canyon All Terrain 4 wheel drive crew cab with 6' bed in Cardinal Red. Mods, Pedal Commander and Elite E-2 catch can.
post #29 of 207 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. I'll call the service manager in the morning.
post #30 of 207 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 09:12 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMW View Post
Ha! "If you can't fix it, then it's normal!"

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
..until the warrantee is up; then it is a defect.

2015 Canyon SLT 4x4 3.6L V6
BOSE System
NAV & Driver Alert Package
post #31 of 207 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 12:30 AM

Garage
For those who tested the new 2017 Colorado/Canyon, I would like to remind them that a lot of the issues happen after hundreds or thousand of miles of driving, and seldom during the test drive. No experiencing the issues tests driving a 2017 does not mean they will not have them later. Usually, with new products or designs, there are new bugs and issues.
squiggyfreud likes this.
post #32 of 207 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyG View Post
For those who tested the new 2017 Colorado/Canyon, I would like to remind them that a lot of the issues happen after hundreds or thousand of miles of driving, and seldom during the test drive. No experiencing the issues tests driving a 2017 does not mean they will not have them later. Usually, with new products or designs, there are new bugs and issues.
When I had my Colorado at the dealer for the shifting issues the service advisor said they were seeing more problems with the eight speeds in the full size trucks than the six speeds in the Colorado/Canyons. He didn't go into details, just said those transmissions "had a mind of their own", and they had had to flush and even replace torque converters.

Some Googling shows that they do indeed have problems with the 8 speeds in full size trucks. Some of those problems are similar to the six speed (not downshifting, clunks), some are special to the 8 speed (torque converter shudder, trans not engaging in cold temps).

Last edited by Two Door; 12-29-2016 at 11:36 AM.
post #33 of 207 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 12:56 PM

Gotta love GM .. :)

2016 Z71, Rear Wheel drive, aFe power air box, Gibson exhaust, Hypertech Tuner,, Westin boards, WeatherTech flap, LLoyd mats..
post #34 of 207 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 09:21 PM

$cr3133. Im in the boat with you on this .

My truck has done this since day one. It now has 9000 miles on it.

I can cover up this problem by driving like the 2016 canyon manual says,
page 220
"if you need more power for passing and you are going less than 35 mph push accelerator pedal about halfway down. Going above 35 mph, push accelerator ALL THE WAY DOWN".
Who the hell drives like that? 305 hp on a slick road should be fun. Your passengers will think your nuts. GM knew that this tranny was not totally compatible with this v6 direct injected engine when they wrote the manual. Not enough gears and Ill bet that is a big reason that after only two years with this combo the 2017 v6 canyon is only offered with a 8 speed trans.

The gears are too far apart. Engine is Running at too slow rpm and in too high a gear. so that when trying to accelerate slowly more fuel is going in engine causing engine to bog,chuggle, shudder before accelerator is down far enough for throttle position sensor to signal trans to shift down.

Why some people dont notice this is maybe their driving habit is more aggressive than mine. I dont know.
I have taken it to two dealers. They say it has latest update and this is normal. (B S) i have been driving since 1959 and my driving habits have worked fine on all other vehicles. To accelerate slowly its like im having to shift with my foot to get it to pull smooth.

You can bet the dealers will be aware of this at trade in time and will not want the truck to resale and make another unhappy customer. Oh well, by 60k miles the intake valves will probably be soo coked up that the burned valves will be causing it to miss and chuggle also.

If anyone gets a definite dealer fix, please try to get specefics and post in a new thread, as the answer to the chuggle, shudder or whatever so it can be easily recognized.
post #35 of 207 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Last night I did some more searching and found another TSB. PIP5342B is dated Aug 15, 2016. The one I found last night is TSB #16NA276, and dated Aug 30, 2016.

Back to the dealer this morning! The service manager said he knew about the latest TSB and that my truck had it loaded. BUMMER! I did go by his office on Tuesday while the sales department was working up a "non-deal" to get me into a 2017. "non-deal" meaning they would take my truck, pay it off , and have me finance an additional $7597 over what the payoff is on my 2016. Anyway, the service manager had some of the info on my truck printed out and on his desk. He said he had made some more phone calls, but had not heard back from any of them. He said maybe the holidays and people on vacation would hold up any more info until next week. I hope it's not just more GM lip service...............

I'm not ready to give up, but the brick wall keeps getting harder and higher.
post #36 of 207 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Door View Post
When I had my Colorado at the dealer for the shifting issues the service advisor said they were see

ing more problems with the eight speeds in the full size trucks than the six speeds in the Colorado/Canyons. He didn't go into details, just said those transmissions "had a mind of their own", and they had had to flush and even replace torque converters.

Some Googling shows that they do indeed have problems with the 8 speeds in full size trucks. Some of those problems are similar to the six speed (not downshifting, clunks), some are special to the 8 speed (torque converter shudder, trans not engaging in cold temps).
I drove a 2016, Silverado, V8, 8 speed for two weeks while they had mine last month. It had some hesitation on take off but shifted ok after that. Not great, but better than my Colorado.
post #37 of 207 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 11:23 PM

GM is not interested in fixing a truck they only produced for two model years. I have purchased countless number of GM cars and trucks, but never again. I traded my 2016 canyon for a well equipped Jeep Wrangler 4 door late last summer. The truck only had 5,000 miles on it and I never looked back. Made several trips to the dealer trying to get the dam thing fixed. No luck! To you folks that don't have a problem, thank your lucky stars. For the people with a dangerous to drive piece of junk, I feel your pain. I keep checking on here to see if GM has fixed the problem but evidently I made the right decision by getting rid of mine.
KY Red Rock likes this.
post #38 of 207 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 08:18 AM

You can bet the dealers will be aware of this at trade in time and will not want the truck to resale and make another unhappy customer. Oh well, by 60k miles the intake valves will probably be soo coked up that the burned valves will be causing it to miss and chuggle also.
i doubt it. it'll go to auction. trucks are hot sellers no matter their condition
post #39 of 207 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Door View Post
When I had my Colorado at the dealer for the shifting issues the service advisor said they were see

ing more problems with the eight speeds in the full size trucks than the six speeds in the Colorado/Canyons. He didn't go into details, just said those transmissions "had a mind of their own", and they had had to flush and even replace torque converters.

I drove a 2016, Silverado, V8, 8 speed for two weeks while they had mine last month. It had some hesitation on take off but shifted ok after that. Not great, but better than my Colorado.
the v8 has a problem of their own. Go figure
post #40 of 207 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 09:49 PM

I have 2016 Canyon... took it in with the same problem and ask them to update PIP5342B. How can I tell if the update as been applied to my truck?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode