2016 "Chuggle Or Shudder" - GM Has Let Us Down - Page 3 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 72Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 168 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 03:51 PM

My transmission suffers from lazy shifting occasionally. I don't know if it's as bad as some-maybe there are some trucks that are worse than others or maybe my strategies have helped. Here's the various things I've found to help when my truck seemed sluggish.

Punch it. I think it's part of the "learning transmission," experience--if you drive slow and easy for a while it starts to shift low and go slow. Find a quiet, straight road and floor it--a couple of full throttle runs up to 50-60mph seem to wake it right up.

Higher octane gas. I definitely feel it improves throttle response when I use mid-grade or premium.

Scoot your seat forward a little. The gas pedal has a very long throw. Put your foot on the floor behind/under the pedal and feel how much space is there behind the pedal! I set the seat position based on where I could comfortably put my foot on the floor next to the gas pedal rather than where I could reach the pedal itself, and it makes it easier to roll on the power when you want to. I think the first 1-2" of pedal travel are pretty close to dead...
njacobsen likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 168 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 05:51 PM

I thought it was weird why they were updating the 2017 engine without any changes to MPG. Seemed totally fishy at the time. I posted something about it a few months back with the response on the matter. I will test drive a 2017 at some point myself to confirm.

However, since using premium gas (tank #2), my 2016 seems to be getting better MPG and I dont notice the shifting issues anymore. I dont know why premium gas would fix this.

2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 3.6L V6 4WD Crew Cab Short Box
post #43 of 168 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 08:03 PM

I have a '16 Colorado 4x4 Z71 crew cab long bed. Have seen very little of the shift and chuggle problems others are reporting. Only a very few momentary (like split second) hesitations on low speed shifting. I do get rather hard down shifts when then engine and trans are cold within a few minutes after a cold start.

I am wondering if the shift issues are more prevalent in any particular configurations. Like 4WD vs 2WD? More pronounced in LT/WT/Z71 models? I wonder if the ECM and transmission programming are all the same over all the various drive train configurations?

post #44 of 168 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

I did drive a 2016 non-Z71, 4x4 as a loaner for a couple of days and it was worse than mine. It hesitated more on takeoff than when driving. It almost seems that the ECMs were programmed at random when built. Very frustrating............
RatRacer likes this.
post #45 of 168 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 08:48 PM

I have a 2015 Z71 and it shifts silky smooth. I bought it and use for its intended purpose....as a truck. In the summer months I tow a 5,000 lbs travel trailer and an aluminum boat. In the fall it is a side by side in a utility trailer. In fact, it is rare that I get to drive this truck without towing something but when I do I am quite pleased in its performance.

My wife goes grocery shopping and runs errands around town with it. No complaints.

Could it be be that the GM tune in it is geared towards being a truck and not a car! That the adaptive transmission has learned to work a little harder and smooth out the shifts? I can't answer that but am pleased with the results.
mdusen1216 likes this.
post #46 of 168 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 09:34 PM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by $CR3133 View Post
I did drive a 2016 non-Z71, 4x4 as a loaner for a couple of days and it was worse than mine. It hesitated more on takeoff than when driving. It almost seems that the ECMs were programmed at random when built. Very frustrating............
You don't know how badly I share that hypothesis. All 4 of the loaner trucks I drove all acted differently than mine, 1 perfect that I would be happy with, the rest all over the place.
post #47 of 168 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 10:15 PM

12000miles 2016 and still waiting for it to learn something.
meanwhile it gets dropped into manual when it doesn't want to 'cooperate' or some persuasive use of foot to the floor when it seems 'sluggish'.

actually some days it drives like you'd expect it should and other days.... it needs the above
post #48 of 168 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 10:50 PM

I don't miss my 15 Z71 gasser one bit. I felt like it got a lot worse after 30k mi to the point sometimes I actually thought I was running out of gas when transitioning from coasting to pedal (prob partly because I ran out of gas a couple times with that fantastic 15 mi range once the light kicked on lol)

They say the 17 duramax transmission is very similar but I don't think so at all. It works like it's suppose to!
post #49 of 168 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by impact View Post
I have a 2015 Z71 and it shifts silky smooth. I bought it and use for its intended purpose....as a truck. In the summer months I tow a 5,000 lbs travel trailer and an aluminum boat. In the fall it is a side by side in a utility trailer. In fact, it is rare that I get to drive this truck without towing something but when I do I am quite pleased in its performance.

My wife goes grocery shopping and runs errands around town with it. No complaints.

Could it be be that the GM tune in it is geared towards being a truck and not a car! That the adaptive transmission has learned to work a little harder and smooth out the shifts? I can't answer that but am pleased with the results.
I cannot imagine towing 5K with mine. We made a trip to Colorado this summer towing a small trailer with two kayaks and gear. Maybe 600 lbs, tops. Coming across the rolling hills between Amarillo and Dallas I could not maintain 70 MPH with the cruise control. It was constantly shifting up and down. With the cruise off it was a little better, but still shifted a lot.
post #50 of 168 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $CR3133 View Post
I cannot imagine towing 5K with mine. We made a trip to Colorado this summer towing a small trailer with two kayaks and gear. Maybe 600 lbs, tops. Coming across the rolling hills between Amarillo and Dallas I could not maintain 70 MPH with the cruise control. It was constantly shifting up and down. With the cruise off it was a little better, but still shifted a lot.
Odd, I did the same last summer with 5 kayaks, 4 people, and bunch of stuff in the bed through the white mountains of NH and the truck was great. I assume you were set in tow mode? I must be one of the lucky ones because I find that I don't have any of the shifting issues people mention here. But I also like to use M mode for better control from time to time too.
post #51 of 168 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac522 View Post
Odd, I did the same last summer with 5 kayaks, 4 people, and bunch of stuff in the bed through the white mountains of NH and the truck was great. I assume you were set in tow mode? I must be one of the lucky ones because I find that I don't have any of the shifting issues people mention here. But I also like to use M mode for better control from time to time too.
Any nice off roading places in NH? We go camping there in the summer.

2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 3.6L V6 4WD Crew Cab Short Box
post #52 of 168 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 11:46 PM

What a dumb thread. Learn to drive your trucks.
mdusen1216 likes this.
post #53 of 168 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummel View Post
Any nice off roading places in NH? We go camping there in the summer.
Everywhere up north, but I ATV to get my 4x4 kicks, can't beat Jericho Mountain State Park.
post #54 of 168 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 07:50 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by texx2818 View Post
What a dumb thread. Learn to drive your trucks.
Wow! Two posts and you're telling everyone to learn how to drive their trucks? Nice intro for a newb! I see you're going to fit right in and be a real asset to the group...

Paul
2016 Colorado LT, Ext Cab
2.5L 4 Banger
LT Convenience Package
Lund Bed Extender
Chevy Drop-in Bedliner
Off Road Side Steps
Gator SR1 Tonneau
WeatherTech Mud Flaps
WeatherTech Vent Visors

Last edited by Red Rock; 01-06-2017 at 03:45 PM.
post #55 of 168 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevef View Post
My transmission suffers from lazy shifting occasionally. I don't know if it's as bad as some-maybe there are some trucks that are worse than others or maybe my strategies have helped. Here's the various things I've found to help when my truck seemed sluggish.

Punch it. I think it's part of the "learning transmission," experience--if you drive slow and easy for a while it starts to shift low and go slow. Find a quiet, straight road and floor it--a couple of full throttle runs up to 50-60mph seem to wake it right up.

Higher octane gas. I definitely feel it improves throttle response when I use mid-grade or premium.

Scoot your seat forward a little. The gas pedal has a very long throw. Put your foot on the floor behind/under the pedal and feel how much space is there behind the pedal! I set the seat position based on where I could comfortably put my foot on the floor next to the gas pedal rather than where I could reach the pedal itself, and it makes it easier to roll on the power when you want to. I think the first 1-2" of pedal travel are pretty close to dead...
I think you may be on to something. I tried as you described over the past couple of days and my truck does perform better. I agree that it may be a way to keep training the transmission to behave in a manner we expect of these trucks.
Stevef and Ben F like this.

2015 GMC Canyon SLT 4x4, Onyx Black, Fold-a-Cover
post #56 of 168 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 12:27 PM

I had my 2015 bought back from GM for this issue and many other issues as well. Reallllllllly long story short......GM ended up putting me into a 2016 4wd same options for about 1k more than I originally paid for my 15'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #57 of 168 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 01:13 PM

I had the issues with Chuggle and Studder and had the PIP update done about a month ago. After reading about the shift stabilization feature, I started driving as suggested. Under 35 MPH stomp pedal halfway above 35 MPH stomp all the way. This combined with the PIP seems to have resolved 99.9 % of my issues. Not perfect, and makes no sense whatsoever why you would be expected to drive this way, but works for me. I wonder if the shift stabilization is the reason GM states no further work necessary after they updated with the PIP ? Here is a link where GM product manager tries to explain the insane shift stabilization.

2015 GMC Canyon Long-Term Review: Transmission Troubles? » AutoGuide.com News
njacobsen likes this.
post #58 of 168 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 10:53 PM

Garage
to all you guys that drove the 2017 model Colorado with the 3.6, I believe that the transmission is the 8 speed not the 6 speed. a total redesign. I fixed my trans problems by going the the service manager and telling him that I have a clunking sounds that come from the rearend on acceleration and braking, they tested the truck and it failed. they then replaced the springs and re torqued everything, now on my daily 35 mile round trips on hilly terrain, she shifts just like she is suppose to, most of the time, she will hold the gear at 70 to 75 mph.. now I am happy with her...

mine is a 2015 Colorado Z71 3.6 V6 21000+ miles

2015 Colorado Z71 Red Rock Met. 2WD V6 EC TTP Nav Bose
post #59 of 168 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 11:12 PM

Garage
this the same thing that is happening on the Silverado`s and they have a service bulletin and it also covers the Colorado/Canyon`s. the clunking noise is caused by the rotation of the differential on acceleration and braking is what might be causing the trans troubles.. so as a remedy go to your dealer and tell them about the clunking noises... it wont hurt to try this... and if it does work, you just might like it

2015 Colorado Z71 Red Rock Met. 2WD V6 EC TTP Nav Bose
post #60 of 168 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 11:52 PM

Do you know the bulletin number?

2015 GMC Canyon SLT 4x4, Onyx Black, Fold-a-Cover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode