2016 "Chuggle Or Shudder" - GM Has Let Us Down - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 72Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 168 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

2016 "Chuggle Or Shudder" - GM Has Let Us Down

After four (so far) trips to the dealer, reflash # PIP5342B done (resolved nothing) and numerous conversations with ChevrolerCustomerCare, I have pretty much been told to "live with it". In fact, at the bottom of PIP4342B, they have added a note saying "No additional repair attempts should be made to address the concerns listed above. These concerns are due to normal operation of the automatic transmission and the torque converter clutch". In other words, they know there is a problem and tried several flashes to resolve the problem, but can't (or won't). Instead of helping those of us that are stuck with a known, inferior product, they released the 2017 with a slightly upgraded engine and an 8 speed transmission. I drove a new 2017 today and the "Chuggle or Shudder" is gone. The truck shifted and performed just like you would expect it to.
The dealer has acknowledged the problem with trucks like mine and say they are getting the same excuses from GM. They said they would "work" with me to get into a similar, new 2017. But some how losing about $9,000 to get out of a truck with 5400 miles on it does not seem to be much of a good deal.

This is a quality and safety issue with GM and I am not through with this....yet. I am leaning toward filing a class action suite against GM. I already have a few people who said they would join me. If any of you have run into the same frustrations that I have, PM me if you are interested in getting involved.

As a side note, I am not a young, unhappy whipper snapper. I bought my first new truck in 1969 and have had numerous new trucks and cars since then. I guess I must have been lucky since this is the 1st poor performing, non-repairable vehicle I have ever bought.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 168 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 06:35 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by $CR3133 View Post
After four (so far) trips to the dealer, reflash # PIP5342B done (resolved nothing) and numerous conversations with ChevrolerCustomerCare, I have pretty much been told to "live with it". In fact, at the bottom of PIP4342B, they have added a note saying "No additional repair attempts should be made to address the concerns listed above. These concerns are due to normal operation of the automatic transmission and the torque converter clutch". In other words, they know there is a problem and tried several flashes to resolve the problem, but can't (or won't). Instead of helping those of us that are stuck with a known, inferior product, they released the 2017 with a slightly upgraded engine and an 8 speed transmission. I drove a new 2017 today and the "Chuggle or Shudder" is gone. The truck shifted and performed just like you would expect it to.
The dealer has acknowledged the problem with trucks like mine and say they are getting the same excuses from GM. They said they would "work" with me to get into a similar, new 2017. But some how losing about $9,000 to get out of a truck with 5400 miles on it does not seem to be much of a good deal.

This is a quality and safety issue with GM and I am not through with this....yet. I am leaning toward filing a class action suite against GM. I already have a few people who said they would join me. If any of you have run into the same frustrations that I have, PM me if you are interested in getting involved.

As a side note, I am not a young, unhappy whipper snapper. I bought my first new truck in 1969 and have had numerous new trucks and cars since then. I guess I must have been lucky since this is the 1st poor performing, non-repairable vehicle I have ever bought.
I do not experience the shudder and clunk all the time. Are you sure the 2017 model completely resolved the shudder and clunk defects?

If you are that unhappy with GM's response, I wouldn't give them any more business. I am in the same boat with my heated seats. Contacting customer service was a joke. I am at the point where I am just going to live with it and never buy another GM product again. I already wrote off Ford because of a similar occurrence I had with a dealership.

2015 Canyon SLT 4x4 3.6L V6
BOSE System
NAV & Driver Alert Package
post #3 of 168 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Mine does not have the clunk, and the shudder is more of a hesitation, like turbo lag. And yes, I felt no hesitation in the 2017. I could tell the difference as soon as I touched the gas pedal. Quicker response and no hesitation.
I hate to drive it and can't afford to get rid of it. :(

post #4 of 168 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 07:12 PM

Garage
Quote:
Mine does not have the clunk, and the shudder is more of a hesitation, like turbo lag. And yes, I felt no hesitation in the 2017. I could tell the difference as soon as I touched the gas pedal. Quicker response and no hesitation.
I hate to drive it and can't afford to get rid of it. :(
The latest updates for the ECM and PCM should have resolved the hesitation defect, or reduced it significantly except under very heavy acceleration. There are 3 existing defects in my opinion:

1) Clunk - introduced with the latest updates based on my personal experience
2) Shudder - this is a day one defect. No updates have improved it
3) Drops too many gears under heavy acceleration - engine RPM's hit about 5K and there is no load, then goes into the next higher gear and engine load is restored.

I bought manual transmissions in every new vehicle I purchased except for this one. I don't like automatic transmissions for this exact reason. Never drove one that didn't have defects in the shift patterns. When I travelled, I rented many vehicles and was not impressed with too many of the automatic transmissions.

2015 Canyon SLT 4x4 3.6L V6
BOSE System
NAV & Driver Alert Package
post #5 of 168 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 08:02 PM

I had the trans shifting issue as well. Went with a BNR tune and not only are the shifting issues a thing of the past, but the truck runs like a bat out of hell! Easily the best $500 I've spent on the truck.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
hacklerjason likes this.
post #6 of 168 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 08:10 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
I had the trans shifting issue as well. Went with a BNR tune and not only are the shifting issues a thing of the past, but the truck runs like a bat out of hell! Easily the best $500 I've spent on the truck.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Which makes you wonder if GM really wants to find a fix? If aftermarket tuner's can fix it, then I'd say GM doesn't want it fixed that badly, or they would be doing the same thing!

Paul
2016 Colorado LT, Ext Cab
2.5L 4 Banger
LT Convenience Package
Lund Bed Extender
Chevy Drop-in Bedliner
Off Road Side Steps
Gator SR1 Tonneau
WeatherTech Mud Flaps
WeatherTech Vent Visors
post #7 of 168 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

If I can?t find a reasonable solution, a programer will be in my future after the warenty is out. Eight months old with 5,400 miles on it, and 1497 of this is one trip, I'll probably reach the three years before I reach 36,000 miles. I am so dissatisfied with it, I only drive it when I have to.
post #8 of 168 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Best I can tell, GM either can't or won't fix it. Seems that their solution is the 2017 configuration that seems to work well. I like everything about the truck except the poor drivability.
post #9 of 168 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 08:27 PM

Garage
Quote:
If I can?t find a reasonable solution, a programer will be in my future after the warenty is out. Eight months old with 5,400 miles on it, and 1497 of this is one trip, I'll probably reach the three years before I reach 36,000 miles. I am so dissatisfied with it, I only drive it when I have to.
Since your dealership won't or can't do anything to help anyway, why not go a head and contact BNR and see what they can do for you. It might be better than hating a truck you can't afford to get rid of, especially if it's going to be close to 3 years before it's out of warranty. It's easy to flash the truck back to stock if you need to bring it in for service, but for the rest of the time it will be a joy to drive!
RatRacer and JScottM like this.

Paul
2.5L 4 Banger
LT Convenience Package
Lund Bed Extender
Chevy Drop-in Bedliner
Off Road Side Steps
Gator SR1 Tonneau
WeatherTech Mud Flaps
WeatherTech Vent Visors
post #10 of 168 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Will the BNR reprogram to stock with no tracks.
post #11 of 168 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 08:42 PM

funny a new model truck already has a change of engine and transmission in the 3rd yr instead of effectively reprogramming the electronics at minimal effort and cost like aftermarket can do.
who was test driving these trucks before production???????
Two Door likes this.
post #12 of 168 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 09:15 PM

Garage
Here's a link to a GM document that pertains to the shudder problem:

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/muro...-5857-4fd7.jpg

It's for Cadillac/Camaro, but it's the same transmission (6L50).
post #13 of 168 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 09:24 PM

Garage
Quote:
Will the BNR reprogram to stock with no tracks.
My understanding is it leaves no trace. @BNR may be able to shed some more light on specifics.

Paul
2.5L 4 Banger
LT Convenience Package
Lund Bed Extender
Chevy Drop-in Bedliner
Off Road Side Steps
Gator SR1 Tonneau
WeatherTech Mud Flaps
WeatherTech Vent Visors
post #14 of 168 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pltctycanyon View Post
funny a new model truck already has a change of engine and transmission in the 3rd yr instead of effectively reprogramming the electronics at minimal effort and cost like aftermarket can do.
who was test driving these trucks before production???????
Over the years, I have test driven numerous new vehicles, but learned my lesson with the Colorado. I drove it around city streets for about 30 minutes, but never hit the conditions where the problem occurs. Today, I drove the 2017 on the same streets and conditions where mine has problems and it ran and shifted flawlessly.
KY Red Rock likes this.
post #15 of 168 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Rock View Post
My understanding is it leaves no trace. @BNR may be able to shed some more light on specifics.
Tomorrow I'll get more info on the BNR and Trifecta tunes.
post #16 of 168 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 11:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH1618 View Post

This is the latest for the Colorado/Canyon:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161010_133956.jpg (99.5 KB, 330 views)
post #17 of 168 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 12:17 AM
KMW

Ha! "If you can't fix it, then it's normal!"

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Toughsox likes this.
post #18 of 168 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH1618 View Post

This is the latest for the Colorado/Canyon:
I was also considering a Bnr or a Trifecta tune. Bnr actually reached out to me and told me about the promotion the are running. Seemed like they wanted my business more. Saving my pennies. The main issue is the chuggel or shudder I feel around second gear which is more and more noticeable. My passengers don't seem to notice but I can feel every vibration that the car sends out to me. It's starting to bug me hardcore.

Now I'm starting to wonder why I have to dish 500 dollars for a brand new truck that only have 6k miles on it. If gm themselves can't fix it, they should pay for it themselves to pay for the tune without voiding warranty. A little disappointed that this is the case especially after I purchased a yukon previous to this vehicle. Let me know how this goes and I'll be there along side you.
post #19 of 168 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Tomorrow I'll get more info on the BNR and Trifecta tunes.
You will definitely want to purchase a tune from a company that will work with you to get the truck as
as possible to the way it should be. In other words, not an out of the box tune. BNR, Trifecta, and Livernois
will do that.

Having JUST purchased a tuner and tune from BNR (and having tried the other two also), I
can say that I don't think Jerry from BNR ever sleeps. He emailed me my tune file at around 11:00 PM CST on
Dec. 23rd. Others have said he's responded to them at 1:00 AM. So far, BNR has provided the fastest service
of the three custom tuners I've tried, but I haven't had a chance to install the tune yet.

I'm sure you've read this already, but until you get a tune, driving in tow/haul mode makes the truck shift
much better.
The Dent Guy likes this.

2015 Colorado Ext. Cab Z71 4X4 (4/15 build date):
Bose, nav., sliding rear window, factory spray-in bed liner, fender guards, Rallyarmor UR mudflaps, Truxedo Lo Pro QT, door sill protectors, BNR tune.

post #20 of 168 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 08:45 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabberjaw View Post
The latest updates for the ECM and PCM should have resolved the hesitation defect, or reduced it significantly except under very heavy acceleration. There are 3 existing defects in my opinion:

1) Clunk - introduced with the latest updates based on my personal experience
2) Shudder - this is a day one defect. No updates have improved it
3) Drops too many gears under heavy acceleration - engine RPM's hit about 5K and there is no load, then goes into the next higher gear and engine load is restored.

I bought manual transmissions in every new vehicle I purchased except for this one. I don't like automatic transmissions for this exact reason. Never drove one that didn't have defects in the shift patterns. When I travelled, I rented many vehicles and was not impressed with too many of the automatic transmissions.
Yes...many are bad. BMW and Porsche have the best AT transmissions, but they are not for every body. Porsches are sports car and very expensive. BMWs have crappy interior and can also be expensive based on which one you buy. Paying that much money for a good drive train and having to sit in a crappy interior is irritating.

2017 GMC Canyon All Terrain X Quick Silver Metallic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode