Bad MPG after first oil change? - Page 3 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 03:25 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to newGMC Send a message via MSN to newGMC
Fuel gauge is dropping fast than normal too, I bet this is all a computer problem. One thing leads to the other, bad MPG, leads to fuel gauge falling faster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newGMC View Post
Fuel gauge is dropping fast than normal too, I bet this is all a computer problem. One thing leads to the other, bad MPG, leads to fuel gauge falling faster.
I think you are onto something!

Sent from the butt crack of California.
2016 Colorado 4x4 CC SB V6
AS level/lift 2.5F/1R w/diff drop
275/70-17 Cooper AT3 on MotoMetal 970s
Scary, evil, black, warranty voiding catch can
post #43 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JScottM View Post
I think you are onto something!
That is a possibility, not sure of the Colorado, but on my Vette if you disconnect battery then engage the key it essentially discharges all the computer modules and clears them...essentially rebooting them. Might be an option before taking it to the dealer.
post #44 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac522 View Post
That is a possibility, not sure of the Colorado, but on my Vette if you disconnect battery then engage the key it essentially discharges all the computer modules and clears them...essentially rebooting them. Might be an option before taking it to the dealer.
Aha, I think you missed it. I thought it was a joke? bad mpg=fuel gauge falling faster.

post #45 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Hey Question for you guys. When you go into 4X4 or Auto the screen says something like switching to 4X4 but when you move the dial back to 2WD shouldn't it says switching to 2WD? I just used mine this last day or 2 in 4X4 and Auto and noticed when switching back to 2WD it still said switching to 4X4. Even in Auto mode it doesn't say Auto, it says 4X4. Does that sound normal to you?
post #46 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac522 View Post
Try this, disconnecting the battery let it sit for a few minutes and reconnect, it will force a complete reboot of all systems computers to factory settings. It's worth a try. My truck shows different mileage to empty most times when I fill up, it can be 320, 300, 340 and as high as 350 I a lot is the way I drive but also I do let my truck warm up since I only drive 1 mile to work and I give up some mileage to have heat both in the cab and the mechanicals.

2016 GMC Canyon All Terrain 4 wheel drive crew cab with 6' bed in Cardinal Red.
post #47 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetter'S Z View Post
Try this, disconnecting the battery let it sit for a few minutes and reconnect, it will force a complete reboot of all systems computers to factory settings. It's worth a try. My truck shows different mileage to empty most times when I fill up, it can be 320, 300, 340 and as high as 350 I a lot is the way I drive but also I do let my truck warm up since I only drive 1 mile to work and I give up some mileage to have heat both in the cab and the mechanicals.
I'll give it a shot.
post #48 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 11:59 PM

Does disconnecting the battery on these trucks even do that like other cars?
I had my battery completely disconnected for 12 hours one day and when I hooked it back up, all my presets and everything were still there like nothing happened. My old car, disconnecting the battery would kill the presets and about 30 mins or so would reset the computer of any codes but doesn't seem to work the same for these trucks. idk

2016 Red Rock LT CC SB v6 4x4

Eibach Pro-Truck Sport RHA shocks, Dee Zee bed mat, TruXedo TruXport roll-up tonneau, Bull rings, SilverStar, Osram Zevo LED, Westin Pro Traxx steps, Fog Lights w/JDMastar LED, Rear LED pods, Husky Liner floor mats, Canyon console lid, Black badges and grill, Trifecta

My build thread
Front bumper removal How-To
post #49 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 08:38 AM

If you have not already done so, check the oil level for an overfill. I have seen it happen before and the engine has to work way harder.

sevvy
post #50 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Hey Question for you guys. When you go into 4X4 or Auto the screen says something like switching to 4X4 but when you move the dial back to 2WD shouldn't it says switching to 2WD? I just used mine this last day or 2 in 4X4 and Auto and noticed when switching back to 2WD it still said switching to 4X4. Even in Auto mode it doesn't say Auto, it says 4X4. Does that sound normal to you?

What it says is more like 4wd shift in progress. That is a neutral term could mean shift into or shift out of. As far as mileage drop I am seeing the same thing but I also saw the same last winter. It was literally a combination of winter fuel blends, engine warmups, and very cold operating temps. The colder the air the lower the mileage and if your trips are barely long enough to get the truck warmed up you are running a lot of miles rich so lower mileage. What have temps been like around you. Your drive is about half what mine is each day so it would be worse for you than me and I'm in the 16 mpg range occasionally 17 since the weather went really cold and I started warming my truck for 4 or 5 minutes. If I skip warming the truck for more than 30 sec I can get it near 18 mpg for my daily drive.

2016 GMC Canyon EC all Terrain
post #51 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser67 View Post
Does disconnecting the battery on these trucks even do that like other cars?
I had my battery completely disconnected for 12 hours one day and when I hooked it back up, all my presets and everything were still there like nothing happened. My old car, disconnecting the battery would kill the presets and about 30 mins or so would reset the computer of any codes but doesn't seem to work the same for these trucks. idk
I have to disconnect the battery each time I tow my truck behind the motor home. It does not effect the presets at all except for the one touch drivers power window. I do have to cycle the window down and up one time.

Chuck
2016 Colorado Red Rock, Z71, 4x4 short bed crew cab, tow package, loaded to tow behind my Motorhome
post #52 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdusen1216 View Post
What it says is more like 4wd shift in progress. That is a neutral term could mean shift into or shift out of. As far as mileage drop I am seeing the same thing but I also saw the same last winter. It was literally a combination of winter fuel blends, engine warmups, and very cold operating temps. The colder the air the lower the mileage and if your trips are barely long enough to get the truck warmed up you are running a lot of miles rich so lower mileage. What have temps been like around you. Your drive is about half what mine is each day so it would be worse for you than me and I'm in the 16 mpg range occasionally 17 since the weather went really cold and I started warming my truck for 4 or 5 minutes. If I skip warming the truck for more than 30 sec I can get it near 18 mpg for my daily drive.
Great post, Yes 4WD shift in progress you are correct and it says that either way into 4WD or 2WD. I'm only driving 10-12 miles a days typically, I work for the town I live in. Its been really cold here, down into teens to high 20's. Today I got 12.2 miles MPG. I used to get +20 as I said being careful. I just like the challenge of keeping it high. Now on Wednesday and Thursday its gonna be in the 50's so I'll see if there is a difference. Otherwise my appointment with the dealership is the 16th 8AM sharp.
post #53 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

OK so today a bit warmer here in NJ, and got 18 MPG going to work. Ended up 10 miles full trip today at 16 MPG. Tomorrow its gonna be 60 so I'll check it out and see. I'm beginning to think whoever said my daily commute is just not long enough to warm the truck up fully is correct. 4.6 miles to work, the 4.6 miles home I guess since its cold is just not warming the truck enough for accurate MPG numbers. Make sense to anyone?
post #54 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 02:05 AM

Quote:
OK so today a bit warmer here in NJ, and got 18 MPG going to work. Ended up 10 miles full trip today at 16 MPG. Tomorrow its gonna be 60 so I'll check it out and see. I'm beginning to think whoever said my daily commute is just not long enough to warm the truck up fully is correct. 4.6 miles to work, the 4.6 miles home I guess since its cold is just not warming the truck enough for accurate MPG numbers. Make sense to anyone?
Sounds reasonable to me.

post #55 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Makes perfect sense. I think you have it nailed. Sometimes I think that DIC just gives to much information. Spent my first year obsessing about maximizing my mileage until I learned what really impacts it. Turns out the things that affect it the most are generally environmental factors beyond our control or excessive speed. It isn't that the mileage numbers aren't accurate it is that the conditions in which it is being operated aren't optimal for fuel economy.
JScottM likes this.

2016 GMC Canyon EC all Terrain
post #56 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 12:30 PM

a 4.6 miles one way commute in low to mid teens will definitely ding MPG quite a bit. On our other vehicle (2015 Equinox 3.6L V6 LFX) we were getting +19MPG around town till the single digit and low teen temps set in last week.
MPG went down to mid to low 16's MPG.

At low temps and only a 4.6 miles drive, you were doing well to even get close to 20 even in warmer weather.
post #57 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Ok here is the proof I guess. Today it was unusually 60+ degrees today. 50+ when I left for work on my LONG 4.6 miles commute to work, and I got 19.6 MPG so I guess we have the answer. On the way home I took a different route and stopped to pick up my son so it wasn't straight home. I'm at like 17 MPG so I think we have the answer. I'm gonna call the dealer, talk to someone and most likely cancel service. I didn't want have my truck at the dealer Monday on my day off anyway.
post #58 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdusen1216 View Post
Makes perfect sense. I think you have it nailed. Sometimes I think that DIC just gives to much information. Spent my first year obsessing about maximizing my mileage until I learned what really impacts it. Turns out the things that affect it the most are generally environmental factors beyond our control or excessive speed. It isn't that the mileage numbers aren't accurate it is that the conditions in which it is being operated aren't optimal for fuel economy.
Awesome post, agree with all you said.
post #59 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteBlue05 View Post
a 4.6 miles one way commute in low to mid teens will definitely ding MPG quite a bit. On our other vehicle (2015 Equinox 3.6L V6 LFX) we were getting +19MPG around town till the single digit and low teen temps set in last week.
MPG went down to mid to low 16's MPG.

At low temps and only a 4.6 miles drive, you were doing well to even get close to 20 even in warmer weather.
Thanks for the post, you made a lot of sense to me. Time to cancel my service appointment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode