Bad MPG after first oil change? - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to newGMC Send a message via MSN to newGMC
Bad MPG after first oil change?

I kinda check regularly MPG every day. I don't hone in on it, and obsess over it but I kinda keep an eye on it. I noticed after I got my oil changed a few weeks ago that my MPG is like really, really bad. Like I can't even come close to 20 MPG, its around 15. Anyone ever hear of this happening, any ideas? Was it something to do with the oil change or something else and just coincidence I noticed after the oil change? The oil change was performed at at GMC dealer. I have a 2016 Crew cab Canyon V6. Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 08:34 PM

Garage
I doubt the oil change has anything to do with it. I bet it is caused by the switching over to the winter blend fuel. That always reduces my mpg.

I carry a gun because cops are too heavy...

post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 08:45 PM

Is it possible that when you went to the dealer, they may have install any of the factory BCM/trans updates? Just curious.

2005 5 cyl, Black on Black, 4 door
2016 Z71, Black, Long Box, 4 door
post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlimitedMatt View Post
I doubt the oil change has anything to do with it. I bet it is caused by the switching over to the winter blend fuel. That always reduces my mpg.
Yeah I wondered about that also, maybe that was the cause. I have no idea but the MPG is really bad when I used to get over 20 most of my trips.
post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toughsox View Post
Is it possible that when you went to the dealer, they may have install any of the factory BCM/trans updates? Just curious.
I have no idea even what that is. Would it be on my paperwork from the dealer?
post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 09:07 PM

Check your work order to see what work was done, besides the oil and filter. What brand of gas are you running in the truck? As mentioned, the winter blend is not good!!
post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 09:11 PM

He is in NJ along with me so Im sure we both have whatever gas they are giving us (winter blend or normal) and my MPG have not changed.

And yes, if they did any computer updates, it would definitely show up on your work order. Some dealerships will check a vehicle for any outstanding recalls or TSBs and while they have it, will usually take care of it now since its there. Timing for them to do it is quite minimal usually so it is possible they did some updating...... report back if there is anything on your work order that doesn't make sense to you.

Last edited by Toughsox; 01-03-2017 at 09:21 PM.
post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I'm up here in NJ so I use whatever regular gas we have, and I go to the same gas station every single week. I just looked for the work order and it seems I threw it away which sucks. I have no idea.
post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

Now I know I only have a total 9.2 mile commute to and home from work but I got 12.8 MPG and I used to get well above that, like near 20 MPG or better.
post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newGMC View Post
Now I know I only have a total 9.2 mile commute to and home from work but I got 12.8 MPG and I used to get well above that, like near 20 MPG or better.
I have roughly the same driving distances and get no less than 18 mpg, and its all city driving.
Any chance you can contact your dealer, and just tell them you threw away your work order and ask for a duplicate to see if they did anything to it?

post #11 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toughsox View Post
I have roughly the same driving distances and get no less than 18 mpg, and its all city driving.
Any chance you can contact your dealer, and just tell them you threw away your work order and ask for a duplicate to see if they did anything to it?
I'm gonna have to, this is ridiculous. I used to get great MPG numbers without even trying. What the heck could it be?
post #12 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 09:07 PM

Garage
Not sure how you are calculating your mileage but if you are looking at the DIC and have it set to show mpg over the last 50 miles or so, it may be that the tech idled the vehicle to get the oil hot or for some other reason and it reduced your average over the set miles. I would give it more miles and see if it returns to normal (or reset the counter).
Quentin 1160 likes this.
post #13 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

I reset my trip meter, and MPG every day before driving off to work. Like I said using this method I used to get 18+, usually 20+ but now I'm way low in the very low teens. I just don't get it. I will say this, it doesn't feel like I'm using more fuel, or filling up quicker, that all seemed the same. May just be a computer issue? Would chat with GM help at all?
post #14 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 09:42 PM

If you chat with GM they will tell you to contact the dealer. They will not provide any technical assistance.

The dealer can provide another work-order duplicate of the one you got at the time of the service.

Talk with the service manager at the dealership for an explanation of what they did and why it would have affected the gas mileage. Be sure to tell him your method for determining the gas mileage because he will likely blame it on more idling during cold weather. The coincidence of change with the oil change should be cause for them to come up with a better explanation.

2015 GMC Canyon SLT 4x4, Onyx Black, Fold-a-Cover
post #15 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by njacobsen View Post
If you chat with GM they will tell you to contact the dealer. They will not provide any technical assistance.

The dealer can provide another work-order duplicate of the one you got at the time of the service.

Talk with the service manager at the dealership for an explanation of what they did and why it would have affected the gas mileage. Be sure to tell him your method for determining the gas mileage because he will likely blame it on more idling during cold weather. The coincidence of change with the oil change should be cause for them to come up with a better explanation.
Thanks, appreciate the reply. I don't really let my truck idle much, maybe a minute at most when its cold. I just have no idea.
post #16 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 11:44 PM

Garage
You might check your tire pressures, preferably with a gauge, and see if they are low. Also, is the engine coming up to temperature or has that changed (thermostat stuck open?).
post #17 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 11:47 PM

yea look at your dic and change it to something higher than 50 miles
post #18 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

The tire thing is a good suggestion, I would have thought at the oil change they would have checked that and taken care of that but I'll still check. Also wouldn't the alarm or indicator go off if they were low?
post #19 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 12:52 PM

Your tire pressure should be at 35 lbs year around.
post #20 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 01:39 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by newGMC View Post
The tire thing is a good suggestion, I would have thought at the oil change they would have checked that and taken care of that but I'll still check. Also wouldn't the alarm or indicator go off if they were low?
Yes, the dealer should have checked the tire pressure particularly since the free oil changes include rotation. But check them just to be sure. The vehicles I am familiar with seem to signal a warning at around 25 psi but I am not sure on the twins. I have also found the TPMS display is often off 1 or 2 psi compared to a gauge. What about the engine temp question. Enable engine temp display in the DIC and post the temp reading at the end of your short commute.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode