Capless fuel fill on 2017s - Page 2 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 01:53 AM

Garage
Our Camaro has it and I actually didn't think I would care for it at first but it is a nice feature. I wonder if we can add this to the 16's??

2016 GMC Canyon SLT Cyber Grey, 4" MaxTrac lift with 2" RC level kit, Nitto Crosstek 275/70/18's, 2" Billet Spacers, LED's throughout, Iron Cross steps, Line-X, Stubby Jr, GMC All Weather floor mats, Bull Rings x9, DRL harness, OPT7 LED lows and fogs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 05:08 AM

to all the rough and ready truck owners in new jersey. don't come to florida you might break a nail pumping your own gas
CrashFix, low-tec and doug5336 like this.
post #23 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 05:03 PM

Send a message via AIM to newGMC Send a message via MSN to newGMC
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckliker View Post
to all the rough and ready truck owners in new jersey. don't come to florida you might break a nail pumping your own gas
I pump diesel fuel daily into the trucks at work. Its not the biggest treat in the world, but if you love it so much, have fun. Also its not quite as cold in FL as it is in NJ.

post #24 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newGMC View Post
I like that we don't pump our own gas. When I go to McDonald's I don't cook the burger, its called service for a reason. It only adds 3 or 4 cents to a gallon not to smell like gas the rest of the day.
oh my... i've never smelled like gas after pumping gas. looks like 60cents a gal less here to pump my own that adds up quick
post #25 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixr View Post
We have had this type of system in our fleet on a couple different makes since 2014 and have not had any fuel related issues associated with the filler neck other than one our PD folk driving away from the pump with nozzle attached. 😠
thats not uncommon actually
post #26 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigforty View Post
The system looks like it has two flaps in it. One you see and another a few inches into the filler tube.

Just filled up for the first time. Biggest isssue I had was having to keep the pump on the lowest flow. It would keep shutting off otherwise.
thats the same for the previous years w/ conventional filler as talked about in another thread.
21 gal tanks as stated in manual with up to 25 gal pumped in with a low flow nozzle
post #27 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 05:20 PM

When was the last time you took your Camaro on a construction site? It is either dusty or muddy. I don't want that in my gas tank. Yeah there's been no problem for xyz's ford delivery van, but I plan to keep my TRUCK well past it's pathetic warrantee window.
post #28 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 05:39 PM

Think of it this way: If your gas cap fails, you go down to the parts store, maybe it is a dealer only part, buy a new gas cap, and away you go.

If this thing fails, replacing it probably takes a computer to reprogram the spring tension and 2 hours labor to access the filler tube, plus 14 pages of EPA reports to fill out.
NotCool88 likes this.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller.
post #29 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 07:50 PM

Hope GM's capless system works better than our 15' 2500 RAM does going back to the dealer for it's second fix this week. Have to use a long funnel to get any fuel in it right now.

Stopped to put fuel in my Colorado today and the gas cap was about as white with road salt as the sides on the truck. So I hope they have come up with a better way of sealing the fuel door. Me personally I'll take the good ole fashioned screw on cap.

2016 Colorado CCLB 4X4 Brownstone
post #30 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 08:21 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pltctycanyon View Post
thats the same for the previous years w/ conventional filler as talked about in another thread.
21 gal tanks as stated in manual with up to 25 gal pumped in with a low flow nozzle

25 Gallons with a low flow. Wow!

post #31 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newGMC View Post
I thought all Ford vehicles have this feature. I think but its not scientific but when fueling up its super, extra sensitive and pops the pump off early and if you are in a state like mine where thank goodness we don't pump our own gas but your tank is always short a gallon or two. I pump diesel in the trucks at work everyday, the last thing I want to do is pump the gas into my personal truck. One of the few things NJ has right.
Yeah, first time I ran across this was when a rented a Ford Fusion a couple months back. Drove from Denver to the east coast and back. When I got to South Carolina the stupid thing kept shutting off when I tried to fill it. Tried all different nozzle positions,etc,etc...took forever to dribble that tank full. The next couple refills were the same. Then heading back across Kansas it filled up just fine. Think it may have been nozzle design at some locations. Whatever, it was a royal pain.

2015 Colorado Yellow V-6 Z71 4X4 SB Crew/Nav/Towing/Sliding R Window/bedliner/3" off-road steps/flares/Xpel/Xstang Trifecta

Truck history:
2002 GMC Sonoma Crewcab 4x4 Yellow ZR5 (new)
1985 GMC High Sierra SB 4x4 Brown/Wht (used)
1983 S-10 Regular Cab, 4X4, V-6, 5spd-man, Black (new)

Current fleet:
2010 RAV4 V-6 Sport AWD
2014 Buick Verano Premium (Turbo)
post #32 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 11:39 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lqdchkn View Post
So then couldn't one stick the fancy funnel in and then run a slightly smaller diameter hose down through that to siphon fuel?
There arent any anti-siphon devices down in the fill tube any more?

Sent from the butt crack of California.
2016 Colorado 4x4 CC SB V6
AS level/lift 2.5" w/1" rear block and diff drop
275/70-17 Cooper AT3 on MotoMetal 970s
Scary, evil looking, black, warranty voiding catch can
post #33 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 08:52 AM

One good thing I could see from not pumping own fuel..and unfortunately I see it all the damn time. You get out and your waiting on fill up, some jack ass pulls to pump behind, in front, or beside you and gets out of his car/truck with a &#%÷&^! cigarette either in mouth or in hand and it is #!$@^#^ lit. Maybe they didn't pay attention in science class or maybe they didn't listen to what everyone says or maybe they can't see the 20 signs around the gas pumps that say NO SMOKING! But I assure you they aren't there bc smoking causes cancer they are there bc smoking will blow the €÷_÷€=% pumps up. One thing is for sure..the ones who do it are indeed the poster children for birth control.

heath
CrashFix likes this.

Last edited by HeathBar1; 01-10-2017 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Darn spell check
post #34 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 09:07 AM

does anyone have a pic of what this system looks like. is it the same as they aftermarket ones ive seen just a screw on cap with a spring loaded hole with a flap?
post #35 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeathBar1 View Post
One good thing I could see from not pumping own fuel..and unfortunately I see it all the damn time. You get out and your waiting on fill up, some jack ass pulls to pump behind, in front, or beside you and gets out of his car/truck with a &#%÷&^! cigarette either in mouth or in hand and it is #!$@^#^ lit. Maybe they didn't pay attention in science class or maybe they didn't listen to what everyone says or maybe they can't see the 20 signs around the gas pumps that say NO SMOKING! But I assure you they aren't there bc smoking causes cancer they are there bc smoking will blow the €÷_÷€=% pumps up. One thing is for sure..the ones who do it are indeed the poster children for birth control.

heath
Heath,

Why don't you tell us what you really think about smoking at the gas station?

In reality, I see them closing their windows on that cold morning while the attendant pumps gas, smoking their cigarette in the warm car interior. Fumes leak into the cabin, and Kaboom, you get a nice explosion.

Government intervention for "our own good" has resulted in Darwin's model of evolution being skewed to allow survival of members of our species that would otherwise not make it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Matthew View Post
does anyone have a pic of what this system looks like. is it the same as they aftermarket ones I've seen just a screw on cap with a spring loaded hole with a flap?
No, the one on the Sierra was all interior to the down hose of the fuel line. Didn't look like any external parts at all.

OK, I hear all of the dust complaints. I am a little surprised, here in Texas I don't see a lot of dust in that area of my truck. But I can see the concern. The diesel guys may get my suggestion better on this one than the gasoline guys.

Most of the service stations I use have got paper towels over there with their windshield cleaning supplies. You also want to avoid getting fuel, especially diesel on your hands as you fill the tank. Take one of those paper towels and stuff it into space as you close the fuel door. This will block a lot of the dust as you go down the road, just toss it and get a clean one at each fillup.

I know the next concern is going to be someone putting a match to the paper towel and creating a 21 gallon Molotov cocktail...No wonder half of you guys where a tin foil cap with all of the conspiracies around.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller.
post #36 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JScottM View Post
There arent any anti-siphon devices down in the fill tube any more?
No clue, never actually tried to steal anyones fuel before
JScottM likes this.
post #37 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 10:42 AM

I wish they would blow them selves sky high and leave the ones who have atleast 1/2 common sense here. I mean seriously I look at some of these people and think out of 100,000 sperm, you were the fastest one...wtf?! But back to the subject at hand I just wanted to throw my 2 pennies in I don't think I would want a fuel neck w/o a cap on it. I am just use to having a cap maybe they thought by doing this they could solve the problem of.people leaving gas caps all over the highway and gas stations. I think there is a missing gas cap website isn't there...lmao

heath
CaryBosse and CrashFix like this.
post #38 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 11:50 AM

Garage
I'd be curious on how the vapor recovery system works with the new "sugar" fill system.

2016 Z71 Crew Cab 4WD
post #39 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtie_Brigade View Post
I'd be curious on how the vapor recovery system works with the new "sugar" fill system.
Can only imagine when some crazy marketing person went to engineering and said, "We want a new feature on our fuel systems. Our customers are complaining about having to touch that nasty gas cap (or diesel cap). Figure out a way to meet EPA requirements for a sealed fuel system but eliminate that nasty screw on fuel cap."

Engineers responded with " you want us to abandon a design that pre-dates Henry Ford?"

In reality, I bet the real issue is that the manufacturers looked at the number one nuisance service item for all manufacturers is a Check Engine Light because owner improperly tightened the gas cap and engineering was told to eliminate the source of the problem.

post #40 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 01:47 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryBosse View Post
Can only imagine when some crazy marketing person went to engineering and said, "We want a new feature on our fuel systems. Our customers are complaining about having to touch that nasty gas cap (or diesel cap). Figure out a way to meet EPA requirements for a sealed fuel system but eliminate that nasty screw on fuel cap."

Engineers responded with " you want us to abandon a design that pre-dates Henry Ford?"

In reality, I bet the real issue is that the manufacturers looked at the number one nuisance service item for all manufacturers is a Check Engine Light because owner improperly tightened the gas cap and engineering was told to eliminate the source of the problem.
Probably allot of truth to this...but I can tell you I love not having a gas cap

2017 GMC Canyon All Terrain X Quick Silver Metallic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode