Capless fuel fill on 2017s - Page 3 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 02:38 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicarious View Post
When was the last time you took your Camaro on a construction site? It is either dusty or muddy. I don't want that in my gas tank. Yeah there's been no problem for xyz's ford delivery van, but I plan to keep my TRUCK well past it's pathetic warrantee window.
xyz here with the ford delivery van... I'm actually a contractor and the Transit sees more than its fair share of work sites. Just sharing my experiences with the capless filling system. It may be different with the Chevys (I don't know, I have a '16) but from my experience I've had no issues with dust buildup in or around the opening. But dude, what's with all the vitriol in your post, we're just posting what we've encountered.

"Stormtrooper"
2016 Colorado Z71 - Crew Cab - Long Box
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 03:00 PM

Garage
I just love these discussions about change, everyone resists it so much! (This particular scenario doesn't affect me, so I can laugh)

Back in my day we had to turn the fuel cap to fill up our vehicles....Then we had to turn it THE OTHER way when we were done! We didn't complain, that's just the way it was! And don't get me started about when they added power windows!!! Dang Nabbit! Hang on BRB there's some kids on my lawn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by newGMC View Post
I pump diesel in the trucks at work everyday, the last thing I want to do is pump the gas into my personal truck. One of the few things NJ has right.

I like that we don't pump our own gas. When I go to McDonald's I don't cook the burger, its called service for a reason. It only adds 3 or 4 cents to a gallon not to smell like gas the rest of the day.
Is that a State law in NJ? What's the reasoning behind it? I'm confused what you do when you go to the supermarket & buy a steak, what happens in that scenario, who cooks it?

Where I'm from they have full & self serve gas stations & leave it up to the consumer to decide which they prefer. And if your smelling like gas the rest of the day after refueling, your doing it wrong.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lqdchkn View Post
So then couldn't one stick the fancy funnel in and then run a slightly smaller diameter hose down through that to siphon fuel?
I've seen reports where thieves don't even bother siphoning anymore, they just puncture the tank & collect the fuel in some kind of container!
CaryBosse likes this.

2015 Canyon SLT | 4WD | CC | SB | V6 | Summit White | Blk Leather | Nav | Bose | Safety Pkg | Remote Start | 5" Blk Assist Steps | GM Splash Guards | OBDLink MX Bluetooth Adapter & Torque Pro Software | Bull Ring Tie Downs | X-Pel Clear Film (Door Sill & Rear Lower Box) | Husky X-act Contour Front & Back Floor Mats | Z71/All-Terrain Transfer Case Skid Plate | SuperSkidz Front Skid Plate | Rocker Pinch Welds Blacked Out | Debadged | Blizzacks (For Winter)
How to Search vBulletin.org effectively
post #43 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 03:12 PM

I bought a locking gas cap for my '14 Focus. It's not a perfect seal, but keeps water and dirt out of the filler neck, and nobody can get anything in or out of my tank without breaking it.

post #44 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 03:33 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashFix View Post
I just love these discussions about change, everyone resists it so much! (This particular scenario doesn't affect me, so I can laugh)

Back in my day we had to turn the fuel cap to fill up our vehicles....Then we had to turn it THE OTHER way when we were done! We didn't complain, that's just the way it was! And don't get me started about when they added power windows!!! Dang Nabbit! Hang on BRB there's some kids on my lawn!

Is that a State law in NJ? What's the reasoning behind it? I'm confused what you do when you go to the supermarket & buy a steak, what happens in that scenario, who cooks it?

Where I'm from they have full & self serve gas stations & leave it up to the consumer to decide which they prefer. And if your smelling like gas the rest of the day after refueling, your doing it wrong.....

I've seen reports where thieves don't even bother siphoning anymore, they just puncture the tank & collect the fuel in some kind of container!

It's a state law in Oregon too...lived there for 10 years and while nice to not have to get out in the rain...which was about 8 months of the year...it was a pain in the tail because you almost always had to wait in line.

2017 GMC Canyon All Terrain X Quick Silver Metallic
post #45 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 03:49 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdallas View Post
I bought a locking gas cap for my '14 Focus. It's not a perfect seal, but keeps water and dirt out of the filler neck, and nobody can get anything in or out of my tank without breaking it.
Seems the thieves don't care how much damage they cause, as long as they get what they want....

2015 Canyon SLT | 4WD | CC | SB | V6 | Summit White | Blk Leather | Nav | Bose | Safety Pkg | Remote Start | 5" Blk Assist Steps | GM Splash Guards | OBDLink MX Bluetooth Adapter & Torque Pro Software | Bull Ring Tie Downs | X-Pel Clear Film (Door Sill & Rear Lower Box) | Husky X-act Contour Front & Back Floor Mats | Z71/All-Terrain Transfer Case Skid Plate | SuperSkidz Front Skid Plate | Rocker Pinch Welds Blacked Out | Debadged | Blizzacks (For Winter)
How to Search vBulletin.org effectively
post #46 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashFix View Post
Seems the thieves don't care how much damage they cause, as long as they get what they want....

[video deleted]
I was pretty mad when the guy broke in to my soft top Wrangler a few years ago, but I had to thank him for kindly unzipping the top, crawling in, removing some semi-valuable items, some totally useless items, but leaving my vehicle totally driveable and able to drive home in the rain. As opposed to my office mate with the hard top who had to replace his driver side window after the thief broke in and found nothing to steal.
CrashFix likes this.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller.
post #47 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 04:11 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryBosse View Post
I was pretty mad when the guy broke in to my soft top Wrangler a few years ago, but I had to thank him for kindly unzipping the top, crawling in, removing some semi-valuable items, some totally useless items, but leaving my vehicle totally driveable and able to drive home in the rain. As opposed to my office mate with the hard top who had to replace his driver side window after the thief broke in and found nothing to steal.
Wouldn't it be nice if it were legal to install auto Turrets on our vehicles and residences that would make quick work of thieves??

2017 GMC Canyon All Terrain X Quick Silver Metallic
post #48 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 04:59 PM

Send a message via AIM to newGMC Send a message via MSN to newGMC
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Goat View Post
Yeah, first time I ran across this was when a rented a Ford Fusion a couple months back. Drove from Denver to the east coast and back. When I got to South Carolina the stupid thing kept shutting off when I tried to fill it. Tried all different nozzle positions,etc,etc...took forever to dribble that tank full. The next couple refills were the same. Then heading back across Kansas it filled up just fine. Think it may have been nozzle design at some locations. Whatever, it was a royal pain.
Yup you got it exactly. Its cool technology, but just a slight issue with it. I'm sure its for safety issues.
post #49 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 01:54 AM

Garage
Why can't gm just install locking fuel doors. I have one on my 09 Astra. Locks and unlocks with the door no worry of people stealing my gas. They can't even fit a drill under my car to get to my gas tank 😜 but it would be nice to see a rubber seal around the gas door to keep salt/mud/dust out.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
post #50 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 09:56 AM

As pointed out already, the capless fuel filler has been standard on Ford vehicles for several years now. The tank is still sealed and when you push the fuel nozzle into the opening it pushes open the seal. It will not contribute to any additional sediment getting into your tank any more than a standard capped fuel tank. When you are done fueling just be sure to count to 10 before removing the nozzle. This will prevent dripping fuel from getting on your paint or in the fuel door opening area.
post #51 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 10:08 AM
ATC

I've had the capless filler on my Corvette for two years with no issue. The lid locks with the car, but it sure wouldn't take much effort to open it if you really wanted in.
A locked fuel lid on a truck wouldn't stop me either if I want the fuel inside.

2013 Audi Q5
2015 Corvette Coupe
2017 Canyon Denali
post #52 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Yup you got it exactly. Its cool technology, but just a slight issue with it. I'm sure its for safety issues.
I've driven 2 fords with it and never had an issue. Same with my girlfriend's escape. Are there ones that have issues, I'm sure. Heck my brother's 14 Silverado won't fill over 1/2 speed on a fuel pump either.

I just wonder who will be the first to buy the filler neck from a 17 to put on a 15/16...

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk
post #53 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 07:22 PM

wow i smell paranoia
post #54 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 09:49 PM

I just put gas into a rental Ford Focus I had and it had the capless fuel deal. There is a decent seal that the fuel door presses against to keep the dirt/water out and with 36,000 miles on the rental, the compartment was clean.

I would not worry about it, besides, what is one going to do about it anyway?
post #55 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 11:54 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATC View Post
The lid locks with the car...
That would be my primary concern. Does the 17' have a locking fuel door?

2016 Z71 Crew Cab 4WD
post #56 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATC View Post
I've had the capless filler on my Corvette for two years with no issue. ...
I'm guessing you don't drive your corvette up and down a couple miles of dusty gravel road every day either.

The very idea of a capless fuel system seems idiotic to me. The only thing on my vehicles that doesn't get dusty is the inside of sealed fluid systems. I actually make a point of cleaning dust away from them before I open them to check/fill fluids.

I'm picturing a little spring loaded metal door in the filler neck that just traps the dirt etc. on top of it, and the moment you slip the nozzle in that shit falls in the tank (where else could it go?). Maybe that's why they have have a ridiculously big fuel filter system?
post #57 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 03:21 PM

Wondering if the Ford capless fill "plugs" would work on ours?

I see them on Ebay and elsewhere for $12 to $25 or so.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Fuel-Ga...dV-yZ-&vxp=mtr
post #58 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 09:39 AM

why so many narrow-minded people can't fathom change that's been around for years?
post #59 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lqdchkn View Post
So then couldn't one stick the fancy funnel in and then run a slightly smaller diameter hose down through that to siphon fuel?
The answer is most likely no. Most gas tanks have an anti-siphon restriction in the filler neck that prevents someone from sticking a hose into the tank.

https://youtu.be/k39E2PRofIo

That's not to say that it's impossible to siphon gas out of a tank with a an anti-siphon restriction in it though...

https://youtu.be/2mGeb9s6yFE

2016 GMC Canyon SLT 4x4 in Copper Red Metallic
Hellwig rear swaybar/Pop N Lock for the tailgate/Revolver X2 tonneau cover/Bed Lighting/Extra high amperage USB charging ports/GM Bed Mat/Tailgate brake & backup lighting/Fumoto valve/Line-X
post #60 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 10:52 AM
PAR

Garage
Quote:
I like that we don't pump our own gas. When I go to McDonald's I don't cook the burger, its called service for a reason. It only adds 3 or 4 cents to a gallon not to smell like gas the rest of the day.
If you smell like gas after pumping fuel, you're doing it wrong. Whether it's refueling, changing your oil and filters, or giving it a hand wash, nobody will care for your vehicle like you do. Ever. The only person pumping my gas besides me would be my daughter... who will be taught to know how to take care of herself.

I don't mind "service" being an option... but when I'm not allowed to pump my own fuel, it's no longer "service". It's mafia-style union strong arming. "You WILL pay me to do your work for you!"

Although, I could definitely see the advantages of having an ice monkey pump your fuel in winter up there.

2015 Colorado CC/SB LT 2WD 3.6L V6
Cyber Gray/Jet Black
Convenience Pkg
18" Wheels
Tow Pkg/Locking Diff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode