Capless fuel fill on 2017s - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

Capless fuel fill on 2017s

I ordered a 2017 Canyon, and wonder if anyone who already has a new 2017 twin has any thoughts on this new feature. . . Had any problems ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 12:16 PM

My opinion is that it is an invitation for dirt in the fuel tank over time.
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 12:34 PM

Word, that's kinda lame.

That sucker is going to collect a ton up dust offroad

Might need to carry a can of canned air to clean it out before filling lol
post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 01:35 PM

Doesn't the Raptor have it too?

2016 Canyon SLE CC LB All-Terrain 3.6L - RC 2" Kit | Goodyear Duratrac P265/70/17
2013 Chevy Volt

Instagram
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 01:37 PM

The Malibu has it.

2016 Colorado LT 4WD, Long-Box, Laser Blue/Jet Ash. Convenience & Luxury packages, Factory Spray-in Bed Liner, Safety Package, Trailering Package, Mud Flaps, Quad-fold G4 hard tonneau cover, 3" OEM steps, All-season OEM floor mats

Ordered 5/22/15
TPW: 7/13/15
Received: 8/8/15
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 02:15 PM

With no locking fuel door, it makes it extra convenient for some clown to quickly slip something in your tank without getting caught.
lqdchkn likes this.

2016 Canyon SLT Crew Cab Shortbox Duramax Diesel, Summit White/Jet Black.

Engine built 1/12/16
Placed order 2/20/16
Dealer ordered 2/25/16
Target Production Week 4/11/16
Built 4/12/16
Delivered to dealer 4/22/16
Drove it home 4/27/16
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 03:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to newGMC Send a message via MSN to newGMC
I thought all Ford vehicles have this feature. I think but its not scientific but when fueling up its super, extra sensitive and pops the pump off early and if you are in a state like mine where thank goodness we don't pump our own gas but your tank is always short a gallon or two. I pump diesel in the trucks at work everyday, the last thing I want to do is pump the gas into my personal truck. One of the few things NJ has right.
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 03:38 PM

My wife's 2012 Ford Taurus has this feature, it's not sensitive when filling up, my truck has it's moments especially when closer to empty. As for dirt, I haven't had any issues, there is a seal around where the door closes and it keeps dirt and debris out. Also, you cannot stick a hose down into the opening since the way it is designed it takes the nozzle to push down and into the filler neck for fuel to flow into it. You have to use one of the special funnels to insert down into the filler neck to put any fuel additives/cleaners into the tank. I take the time every spring and fall to spray some WD-40 into the unit and use the special funnel to work in and out several times to keep everything working well since there have been those who have troubles of it not sealing up when you are filling the tank and just like a loose gas cap, it will throw a code, so it is important to keep that system lubed and cleaned, no big deal really just a couple of minutes to do. I personally would rather have the cap. We've owned the car since new and there has been problems.

2016 GMC Canyon All Terrain 4 wheel drive crew cab with 6' bed in Cardinal Red.
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newGMC View Post
I thought all Ford vehicles have this feature. I think but its not scientific but when fueling up its super, extra sensitive and pops the pump off early and if you are in a state like mine where thank goodness we don't pump our own gas but your tank is always short a gallon or two. I pump diesel in the trucks at work everyday, the last thing I want to do is pump the gas into my personal truck. One of the few things NJ has right.
whaaat? we've been pumping our own for 20 years. whats the big deal? i guess when you have to pay a toll on every road you drive on in jersey having someone pump your gas is a reward!
JBT and low-tec like this.
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 03:55 PM

Garage
I've filled up maybe 5 tanks and haven't had any of the issues stated above. It's very convenient.
low-tec likes this.
post #11 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetter'S Z View Post
Also, you cannot stick a hose down into the opening since the way it is designed it takes the nozzle to push down and into the filler neck for fuel to flow into it. You have to use one of the special funnels to insert down into the filler neck to put any fuel additives/cleaners into the tank.
So then couldn't one stick the fancy funnel in and then run a slightly smaller diameter hose down through that to siphon fuel?
post #12 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 05:06 PM

Had this on loaner Sierra when I did the HVAC recall. One thing I noticed was that if you pull nozzle out quickly, droplets of fuel were thrown into air as the flapper popped close.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up cover.
post #13 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pltctycanyon View Post
whaaat? we've been pumping our own for 20 years. whats the big deal? i guess when you have to pay a toll on every road you drive on in jersey having someone pump your gas is a reward!
I like that we don't pump our own gas. When I go to McDonald's I don't cook the burger, its called service for a reason. It only adds 3 or 4 cents to a gallon not to smell like gas the rest of the day.
post #14 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 05:39 PM

Garage
I have a 2016 Ford Transit work van that uses this system. Used it for a year so far with zero issues. It should be just fine, I wouldn't worry about it.
low-tec likes this.

2016 Colorado Z71 "Stormtrooper"
Summit White
CC LB
post #15 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 06:28 PM

Garage
Quote:
It only adds 3 or 4 cents to a gallon not to smell like gas the rest of the day.
It's all in the technique. I worked a 2nd job as an attendant at a full service gas station for a bunch of years in NJ, before I found how lucrative bartending was, how pleasant a personality a customer had could still end up with that issue.
post #16 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 07:06 PM

Garage
We have had this type of system in our fleet on a couple different makes since 2014 and have not had any fuel related issues associated with the filler neck other than one our PD folk driving away from the pump with nozzle attached. 😠
low-tec likes this.
post #17 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lqdchkn View Post
So then couldn't one stick the fancy funnel in and then run a slightly smaller diameter hose down through that to siphon fuel?
I suppose you could but the hose would be pretty small, making siphoning it likely kind of slow. I've never tried it myself.

2016 GMC Canyon All Terrain 4 wheel drive crew cab with 6' bed in Cardinal Red.
post #18 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 07:59 PM

Garage
The system looks like it has two flaps in it. One you see and another a few inches into the filler tube.

Just filled up for the first time. Biggest isssue I had was having to keep the pump on the lowest flow. It would keep shutting off otherwise.

Last edited by Sigforty; 01-08-2017 at 09:08 PM.
post #19 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 08:44 PM

Quote:
I'm careful not to spill any fuel on my vehicles. I avoid full serve stations because of spills, scratches, fingerprints and other abuse. I went to New Jersey once and they wouldn't let me self serve. They had a young girl working the pump. She spilled diesel all down the side of the car and then laughed about it. Now I make sure my tank is full before I get to N.J.
low-tec likes this.

2016 Canyon SLT Crew Cab Shortbox Duramax Diesel, Summit White/Jet Black.

Engine built 1/12/16
Placed order 2/20/16
Dealer ordered 2/25/16
Target Production Week 4/11/16
Built 4/12/16
Delivered to dealer 4/22/16
Drove it home 4/27/16
post #20 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 404 Not Found View Post
I'm careful not to spill any fuel on my vehicles. I avoid full serve stations because of spills, scratches, fingerprints and other abuse. I went to New Jersey once and they wouldn't let me self serve. They had a young girl working the pump. She spilled diesel all down the side of the car and then laughed about it. Now I make sure my tank is full before I get to N.J.
Yeah there are some merits to pumping your own fuel. The ones you mentioned although I've personally never had that happen, you also have control over exactly how much fuel to put in your vehicle. In the cold though boy am I glad not to have to get out.
404 Not Found likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode