Emission Warranty no longer 50K miles - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Emission Warranty no longer 50K miles

I am a little confused. I have always been told that the Emission Warranty required by the EPA is for 50K miles. Now, GM is arguing with me that an emission component, the purge solenoid, is only warrantied to 36K as part of the bumper-to-bumper warranty.

It appears that the 50K warranty on emissions was modified to a 24K warranty for all emission components and then increased to 80K for selected major components.

With that in mind, I may make some substantial changes in how I view the use of the service department at the dealership and I also will be more inclined to go forward and get one of the bluetooth plug ins to be able to monitor any issues with my truck.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up cover.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 11:46 AM

While I don't necessarily agree with what they are telling you, According to this, they are not lying to you either.
https://www.epa.gov/air-pollution-tr...nd-air-quality

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
While I don't necessarily agree with what they are telling you, According to this, they are not lying to you either.
https://www.epa.gov/air-pollution-tr...nd-air-quality

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
I contacted the EPA and right after I posted this, they sent me a message that the Emissions Warranty required by the Feds is as GM is asserting. I think it is a little surprising that the Emission Warranty was weakened in many areas. Granted, the expensive parts had the warranty extended to 80K.

I had an extended warranty package that covered the repair, only costs me $50, but the principle of the matter is what bothered me.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up cover.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 03:00 PM

Cary - this is true. May I refer you ro the warranty booklet for more details? There are exceptions but emissions warranties are typically 7 yrs/70K miles or 8 years/80K miles.

"Brownstone Bumblebee" 2016 Diesel Colorado Z71 CCSB 4X4, Brownstone Metallic
HPD and Provent 200 Catch Cans, Amsoil Fluids, MetalMan Front Differential, Engine Oil Pan, & Steering Motor Skid Plate, Undercover Swing Cases
Say No! to Wheelers's Offroad!

"I respect everyone's opinion, no matter how wrong it may be."
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryBosse View Post

It appears that the 50K warranty on emissions was modified to a 24K warranty for all emission components
This I was not aware of

Quote:
and then increased to 80K for selected major components.
This part I knew about but I didn't know how much was considered "major components"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode