2Likes
  • 2 Post By pltctycanyon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Hard shifting, and slow down shifting.

'16 Canyon Crew Cab 4x4 SLE
3.6L 6L50E w/ Tow Pkg
<3,400 miles

I'm getting a hard shift when coming from a coast, then touching the accelerator peddle it jabs into gear.

When at slower speeds it wants to stay in 6th gear and wait to down shift until the last minute. Sometimes it can be a rough shift, sometimes it's fine.

Mechanically, everything is stock and functions 100%. I just spoke with someone from GM's live chat who thinks having a tech look at it will find out the issue. Oddly enough, this isn't a new issue. I'm waiting for a SB to come out for a more refined tune to fix the trans table in the tune.

If there's a GM rep in here, could someone tag them?

Transcript from conversation;

HopnDude:2:29:51 PM
GM -Question/concern about a vehicle I own
Connection established.
Welcome to GM
Connecting.....A live chat agent is now entering the chat.
Alyssa:2:30:16 PM
Thank you for contacting GM Customer Assistance. My name is Alyssa. How may I assist you today? Also, your safety is very important to us, so please refrain from using any hand held devices while driving.
HopnDude:2:30:58 PM
Hello Alyssa,
I've got a slight concern/issue with my '16 Canyon Crew Cab SLE 4x4 3.6L
Alyssa:2:31:46 PM
Hello, HopnDude. I am sorry to hear that you are having a concern with your vehicle. How may I help you?
HopnDude:2:31:58 PM
When letting off the accelerator, and coasting (let's say a red light) and then I tap the accelerator to start going again (light turns green before coming to a complete stop) I sometimes get a pretty hard bang (not sound, just a hard bang feel) from a shift.
HopnDude:2:32:30 PM
My wife is pregnant, and the shift bang is hard enough that I'm not sure it would be a good idea to have the infant in the truck until he get's older.
Alyssa:2:33:03 PM
I apologize that you get a hard bang from the vehicle. In order to better assist you, may I please have the VIN and mileage for the vehicle?
HopnDude:2:33:07 PM
I have read on the forums that this is apparently a known issue from the shifting.
HopnDude:2:34:21 PM
1G(blocked out)
Almost about to turn 3,400 miles.
Alyssa:2:35:25 PM
Thank you. Could you please verify your name, phone number, e-mail, and mailing address?
HopnDude:2:35:36 PM
HopnDude
HopnDude:2:35:40 PM
(blocked out)
HopnDude:2:35:44 PM
(blocked out)@mail.com
HopnDude:2:35:49 PM
(blocked out)
HopnDude:2:35:53 PM
(blocked out)
Alyssa:2:36:23 PM
Thank you, HopnDude. How long has this concern been happening for?
HopnDude:2:36:36 PM
Since I bought it.
HopnDude:2:36:47 PM
I purchased it in November.
HopnDude:2:37:00 PM
With 34 miles on it.
HopnDude:2:37:06 PM
From (blocked out)
Alyssa:2:37:45 PM
Okay. And it is always when you start to press the accelerator pedal that you feel the bang?
HopnDude:2:38:47 PM
No, I have to be coasting (like it's about to down shift) and then start to accelerate. It feels like it's trying to differ on which gear to select, and when it does, it hits pretty hard.
Alyssa:2:39:26 PM
Okay. This happens every time you are coasting and then start to accelerate?
HopnDude:2:39:59 PM
Yes
Alyssa:2:40:23 PM
Okay. Have you taken the vehicle to a GM dealership yet for this concern?
HopnDude:2:40:30 PM
No, not yet.
HopnDude:2:40:40 PM
I will soon.
Alyssa:2:41:59 PM
What I suggest is taking the vehicle to a GM dealership for them to perform a diagnostic. A diagnostic should determine why this concern is happening. You could even ask a Service Technician to test drive the vehicle with you in it so you can point out exactly what the concern is.
HopnDude:2:42:44 PM
I would have to drive it with the tech in the passenger seat. Why tell someone how to replicate the issue, which may take a while, verse doing it myself so they know exactly what's happening.
HopnDude:2:43:26 PM
However, people have talked about this on the forum boards. It's a known issue, and is apparently due to the torque converter lockup in the trans table (in the tune).
Alyssa:2:43:45 PM
I understand. You can suggest that you would rather drive the vehicle with the Technician in the passenger seat.
HopnDude:2:44:18 PM
2015 GMC Canyon Not Shifting Properly: 13 Complaints
Alyssa:2:44:21 PM
Please keep in mind that we treat each customer's situation on an individual basis and cannot take into account information found on third party websites. Its also worth noting that sometimes what seems to be a common symptom can be the result of very different root causes. This is important when reading online forum posts as every vehicle owner may not know the exact symptom, root cause and/or subsequent repair that was completed. Reading through a thread may not necessarily be comparing apples to apples. This is why we handle every situation on a case by case basis.
HopnDude:2:44:24 PM
2015 Canyon - Hesitation/Gear Searching - 2015/2016/2017 Colorado/Canyon Issues, Troubleshooting, & Recalls/Service Bulletins - GM-Trucks.com
HopnDude:2:44:31 PM
Transmission not a problem
HopnDude:2:44:52 PM
The thing is, I know if I take it to the dealership, they'll flash it with the most recent version of the tune, but it's not going to fix the issue.
Alyssa:2:46:01 PM
I am not sure what the dealership would do. They would need to determine what is causing the concern first. That is why I suggest taking the vehicle to a GM dealership so they can determine what the cause is.
HopnDude:2:46:14 PM
This is a perfect synopsis!
"I purchased a new 2015 GMC Canyon and had the same issues with the automatic transmission being calibrated poorly. As others have mentioned, when in drive, the transmission stayed in 6th gear when slowing down from highway speed all the way until about 30 mph so when you would accelerate at that point, the engine lugged and you had to push the gas pedal down quite a bit until finally the transmission would downshift to 3rd, skipping 5th and 4th and causing a super abrupt shift. Also, when accelerating from a stop, you had to increase the pressure on the pedal to keep the truck from slowing and lugging at about 30 mph."
Alyssa:2:46:36 PM
We treat each customer's situation on an individual basis and cannot take into account information found on third party websites. Its also worth noting that sometimes what seems to be a common symptom can be the result of very different root causes. This is important when reading online forum posts as every vehicle owner may not know the exact symptom, root cause and/or subsequent repair that was completed. Reading through a thread may not necessarily be comparing apples to apples. This is why we handle every situation on a case by case basis.
HopnDude:2:49:19 PM
I find this to be a bit odd to say. I have a 94 S10, that I've upgraded the electronics to that of a 01-04 S10. It's got a newer 4L60E, turbo'd, blah blah. Typical vehicle you see in the 1320 videos.

I know what the engine/trans tables look like, and how the shifting is controlled. Being as I built my S10, I would have to say it's 100% in the tune on the trans table.
HopnDude:2:50:06 PM
I'm just trying to find a nice way to say, is GM going to fix this? It's not safe for a infant.
Alyssa:2:50:20 PM
I understand, however, the vehicle would need to be taken to a GM dealership for them to determine what is causing the concern.
Alyssa:2:50:32 PM
This would be the first step in repairing the vehicle.
HopnDude:2:51:12 PM
The vehicles doesn't need repairs. It needs better adjustments to the trans table for shifting and torque converter lockup.
Alyssa:2:51:41 PM
Until the vehicle is diagnosed, we would not know what repairs are needed for the vehicle.
HopnDude:2:51:51 PM
Do me a favor, run this chat up with your highers. I'll be posting it on the forums and seeing if I can get a GM rep to chase as well.
Alyssa:2:52:31 PM
I am sorry to hear that. The first step would be to take the vehicle to a GM dealership for them to determine what is causing the concern. Until the vehicle is diagnosed, we will not know exactly what needs to be repaired.
HopnDude:2:53:36 PM
Yes, I know. I will do that on my end; however, I'd like to see my complaint ran up the chain on your end.
Alyssa:2:54:28 PM
I am a Senior Advisor and I am in the best position to assist you. The first step would be to take the vehicle to a GM dealership for them to determine what is causing the concern.
HopnDude:2:56:51 PM
Okay
Alyssa:2:57:05 PM
Would you like your case number from today?
HopnDude:2:58:03 PM
Sure
Alyssa:2:58:21 PM
(blocked out). Is there anything else I can help you with?
Alyssa:3:01:45 PM
Are you still there? I'm still here to answer any questions you may have.
HopnDude:3:03:34 PM
Sorry
Alyssa:3:04:00 PM
That is okay. Is there anything else I can help you with at this time?
HopnDude:3:06:50 PM
No, nothing as of now. I'm going to call Sapaugh to schedule an appointment, and I'm going to speak with the GM rep from the forum board.
HopnDude:3:07:06 PM
I'm not sure why GM can't get the trans shifting table calibrations under wraps.
Alyssa:3:07:41 PM
Okay. Have a good day! Thanks for contacting GM Customer Assistance. If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact us again. We are here to chat Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. and Saturday from 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time. You may also call in at 1-866-790-3600.
You have been disconnected from the chat session. If you require further assistance, please start another chat session.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 04:46 PM

is there a point to this thread? this has already been discussed many times
low-tec and Two Door like this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 10:08 AM

Garage
This is how the 2015/2016 drive trains operate. The behavior is repeatable in the sense you know exactly how to duplicate the conditions that trigger it so that also makes it avoidable a lot of the time by avoiding those conditions whenever possible. GM tuned it this way to meet fuel economy goals. GM is not going to fix it because it isn't really broken and changing it in the factory tune would impact the fuel economy ratings. That would get them into hot water with the feds and probably trigger a class action lawsuit. I see you have the tow package which means you have tow haul mode. Tow haul mode reverts the shifting behavior to more traditional settings more suitable for towing an hauling. Drive it in tow haul mode for a while and I think you will see an improvement but there will likely be a bit of a drop off in fuel economy as well. Basically the default tune is an always on eco mode like the Terrains had/have only there is no button to turn it on or off at will other than using the tow haul mode if you have that option. There are aftermarket tunes available that will fix your issues but again you will get lower mpgs and you will risk voiding your warranty.

2016 GMC Canyon EC All Terrain V6

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdusen1216 View Post
This is how the 2015/2016 drive trains operate. The behavior is repeatable in the sense you know exactly how to duplicate the conditions that trigger it so that also makes it avoidable a lot of the time by avoiding those conditions whenever possible. GM tuned it this way to meet fuel economy goals. GM is not going to fix it because it isn't really broken and changing it in the factory tune would impact the fuel economy ratings. That would get them into hot water with the feds and probably trigger a class action lawsuit. I see you have the tow package which means you have tow haul mode. Tow haul mode reverts the shifting behavior to more traditional settings more suitable for towing an hauling. Drive it in tow haul mode for a while and I think you will see an improvement but there will likely be a bit of a drop off in fuel economy as well. Basically the default tune is an always on eco mode like the Terrains had/have only there is no button to turn it on or off at will other than using the tow haul mode if you have that option. There are aftermarket tunes available that will fix your issues but again you will get lower mpgs and you will risk voiding your warranty.
Thanks, this seems to answer my question. Also, I do have an All Terrain.

How is it that aftermarket tuners have been able to get almost one full MPG and smooth the trans table verse the factory tune in auto eco mode?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 01:59 PM

Garage
I had a recent ECM and transfer case module update at dealers and seems to be shifting better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode