Pedal Commander vs aftermarket tune? - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Chetter'S Z

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Pedal Commander vs aftermarket tune?

2016 Colorado 3.6
Has anyone here heard of or used the "Pedal Commander"?
I did a search on throttle response and came up with this item. it gets wired in series with the cable that is attached to the throttle pedal. It has 4 different modes and 4 different adjustments for each mode. Doesn't void the warranty and no flashing computer. (I think) I've never done an aftermarket "tune" and this product looks real easy to install and as it seems, you can adjust different modes by pressing buttons on the device mounted inside your vehicle. It's $299 for the 3.6.
I have noticed that some of the "tunes" require higher octane. I don't know if this is a factor for this item.
Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 11:44 AM

Garage
I have never used one, but here's what I think I know about it:

Your pedal does not have a cable. It's an electronic rheostat that's wired through the ECU, and then to the an electric motor on the throttle body. It sound hokey, but most cars and trucks are built this way now. Even Harley does it, and you know how far behind the technology curve they are.

With this set up, your foot does not control the throttle, the ECU does. The manufacturer programs the throttle response according to their needs. Torque management to soften launches and save the drive line, slower throttle response for better city mileage, etc.

The Pedal Commander plugs into the top of your pedal, and then the factory plug goes in to the PC. It modifies the signal that gets sent to the ECU. It doesn't modify the ECU or any programming. It's not a "Tune" in the traditional sense. So, in theory, it won't void the factory warranty - but it might, so be careful.

Companies that actually provide a tune to modify the ECU, will usually make changes to the throttle maps. If you plan on adding a real tune at some point, the Pedal Commander will become obsolete, and you'll probably have to remove it.

.boB
2016 Colorado: long bed, Z71, Mini-Duramax
www.RacingTheExocet.com
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

So I'm wondering if this is another way to correct the bad throttle response that we sometimes get with our 3.6?
They do claim it won't void our warranty.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

Oh wait...what I should be wondering is...will it prevent the transmission from downshifting too many gears and launching the truck like a wild bronco?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poconojoe View Post
Oh wait...what I should be wondering is...will it prevent the transmission from downshifting too many gears and launching the truck like a wild bronco?
Good question, I have always felt that the accelerator and trans were not completely synced up. I had my engine and trans computers reflashed at the dealership and 98% of my problems went away. I've wondered about finding something that help would accelerator be more responsive. I hope someone gives this a try and some feedback on it works.
cyberone3 likes this.

2016 GMC Canyon All Terrain 4 wheel drive crew cab with 6' bed in Cardinal Red. Mods, Pedal Commander and Elite E-2 catch can.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poconojoe View Post
I'm guessing....not.

And only because the information from the Pedal Commander is considered INPUT to the computer. The computer takes that INPUT and adjusts it based on the program (and probably a gazillion other pieces of INPUT).

If someone is willing to spend the $ and try it...go for it.

And actually - the Pedal commander might be a way to calibrate the pedal. My last truck, you could perform a pedal calibration (Pedal Throw) via a few steps. Say for instance, you could set the overall THROW (0-full throttle) in half the distance of the actual mechanical throw. If your foot was halfway down on the pedal, you'd actually get FULL throttle instead of needing to actually push the whole way down.

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s

Last edited by Janster; 01-21-2017 at 02:50 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 02:48 AM

Garage
My wife's had a slew of BMW cars that came with their 3L TT motor, and being known for having a 'slowwwww' pedal, I've installed these types of devices on some of 'em
It works because you're dealing with a throttle by wire(most common now days), and simply gives you a 'quicker' calibration than what comes stock.
The ones I've installed go underneath the pedal, and literally take a whopping 2 mins to install.
They've all worked as advertised too(no throttle 'lag')

2016 Colorado 2.8L D-max, Crew Cab, Long Bed, Z71, 4WD.
ZONE 5.5" Suspension Lift
Moto Metal 970 17x8.5"
Nitto Terra G-G2s, 295/70/17
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode