dead spot - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By CaryBosse
  • 1 Post By kaiser67
  • 2 Post By CaryBosse
  • 1 Post By CrashFix
  • 1 Post By JScottM
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Maine
Posts: 8
dead spot

has anyone noticed a dead spot on accel. at about 1/4 pedal. it even does it sitting in driveway in park if you push the pedal down it will rev to about 2000 rpm then go flat for about 1/4 more pedal is pushed down then it will rev up more?

Off road Bob
2015 Canyon
Extend Cab
Silver 4X4
offroad bob is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 09:21 AM
Senior Member
 
kaiser67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Masshole
Posts: 1,015
Search for "Chuggle" "Chug" or lag and you'll find plenty of threads on the topic.

Yes it's a very well known and documented issue.

2016 Red Rock LT CC SB v6 4x4

Eibach Shocks all around w/GM rear blocks, Dee Zee bed mat, TruXedo tonneau, Bull rings, Zevo LEDs, Westin steps, Fog Lights w/JDMAstar LED, Rear LED pods, Lumen G7s LED Headlights, Factory Remote Start, Dash Cam w/Invisicord, Husky Liners, Canyon console lid, Black badges and grill, Trifecta

My build thread
Front bumper removal How-To
Rear Shock/lift Blocks How-To
kaiser67 is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 09:49 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: S.W. Florida
Posts: 3,005
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad bob View Post
has anyone noticed a dead spot on accel. at about 1/4 pedal. it even does it sitting in driveway in park if you push the pedal down it will rev to about 2000 rpm then go flat for about 1/4 more pedal is pushed down then it will rev up more?
That dead zone is a known LLT/LFX issue on the Camaro forum. My wife's and I old Camaro's did it, and my Z71 does it, but not as pronounced. The way I fixed it on my LFX Camaro was to install a different throttle body with a CNC machined throat, that was smoothed out to the butterfly. The claim was a turbulence air pocket is caused by that little lip, coupled with the butterfly's gap at that position, hiders smooth, direct airflow into the TB. Or, judiciously apply more pedal.
RatRacer is offline  
 
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 10:46 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: NJ
Posts: 192
Anyone ever try a ported throttle body on a twin?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
DrewNJ is online now  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 11:08 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: DFW, Texas
Posts: 7,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
Anyone ever try a ported throttle body on a twin?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
See threads below:

Ported throttle body

Ported Throttlebody

May be of interest:

Does anyone know how the 3.6 responds to bolt on modifications?
RatRacer likes this.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.
CaryBosse is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 11:17 AM
Senior Member
 
CrashFix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada
Posts: 942
Garage
I was reading about Electronic throttle controllers the other day, I wonder if those would help with this situation.

https://www.carid.com/articles/why-s...ontroller.html

Maybe @CarID can offer their thoughts on on this?

.

2015 Canyon SLT | 4WD | CC | SB | V6 | Summit White | Blk Leather | Nav | Bose | Safety Pkg | Remote Start | 5" Blk Assist Steps | GM Splash Guards | OBDLink MX Bluetooth Adapter & Torque Pro Software | Bull Ring Tie Downs | X-Pel Clear Film (Door Sill & Rear Lower Box) | Husky X-act Contour Front & Back Floor Mats | Z71/All-Terrain Transfer Case Skid Plate | SuperSkidz Front Skid Plate | Rocker Pinch Welds Blacked Out | Debadged | Blizzacks (For Winter)
How to Search vBulletin.org effectively
CrashFix is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 11:44 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: NJ
Posts: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryBosse View Post
Thanks for the links!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
DrewNJ is online now  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 12:29 PM
Senior Member
 
kaiser67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Masshole
Posts: 1,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashFix View Post
I was reading about Electronic throttle controllers the other day, I wonder if those would help with this situation.

https://www.carid.com/articles/why-s...ontroller.html

Maybe @CarID can offer their thoughts on on this?

.
Most of the tunes increase the throttle response similar to what a controller would do. The sport mode on Trifecta is totally different than stock or the eco mode. It actually takes some getting used to the increased response.

Interesting article though.
CrashFix likes this.

2016 Red Rock LT CC SB v6 4x4

Eibach Shocks all around w/GM rear blocks, Dee Zee bed mat, TruXedo tonneau, Bull rings, Zevo LEDs, Westin steps, Fog Lights w/JDMAstar LED, Rear LED pods, Lumen G7s LED Headlights, Factory Remote Start, Dash Cam w/Invisicord, Husky Liners, Canyon console lid, Black badges and grill, Trifecta

My build thread
Front bumper removal How-To
Rear Shock/lift Blocks How-To
kaiser67 is offline  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 02:31 PM
Senior Member
 
CrashFix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada
Posts: 942
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser67 View Post
Most of the tunes increase the throttle response similar to what a controller would do. The sport mode on Trifecta is totally different than stock or the eco mode. It actually takes some getting used to the increased response.

Interesting article though.

I joined a Facebook group for the Aussie Holden Colorado & I saw some people talking about the throttle controllers so that's what brought it to my attention. The newer vehicles with the "drive by wire" have a different feel than the older mechanical accelerator pedal feel so maybe that's throwing some people off. Although I'm not saying the trans programing for fuel economy is not a problem.

Knock on wood, but for whatever reason I haven't noticed any "Chuggle" or throttle dead spots on my truck. Maybe some of it is the truck (trans programing) adapting to how the driver drives, but it could also be the driver learning what input the truck needs to get the desired results.

I'm actually quite impressed with the HP they get from the naturally aspirated 3.6L engines in our trucks, light years ahead of the 4.3L Vortec I had in my 2001 ZR2 & probably more power than many V8's that were in the mid 80's trucks. Heck a 71 Chevelle SS with the min 350 2 barrel was only rated at 245 gross HP, our truck would of been GROUND POUNDERS back in the day! LOL
.

2015 Canyon SLT | 4WD | CC | SB | V6 | Summit White | Blk Leather | Nav | Bose | Safety Pkg | Remote Start | 5" Blk Assist Steps | GM Splash Guards | OBDLink MX Bluetooth Adapter & Torque Pro Software | Bull Ring Tie Downs | X-Pel Clear Film (Door Sill & Rear Lower Box) | Husky X-act Contour Front & Back Floor Mats | Z71/All-Terrain Transfer Case Skid Plate | SuperSkidz Front Skid Plate | Rocker Pinch Welds Blacked Out | Debadged | Blizzacks (For Winter)
How to Search vBulletin.org effectively
CrashFix is offline  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 03:15 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: DFW, Texas
Posts: 7,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashFix View Post
I joined a Facebook group for the Aussie Holden Colorado & I saw some people talking about the throttle controllers so that's what brought it to my attention. The newer vehicles with the "drive by wire" have a different feel than the older mechanical accelerator pedal feel so maybe that's throwing some people off. Although I'm not saying the trans programing for fuel economy is not a problem.

Knock on wood, but for whatever reason I haven't noticed any "Chuggle" or throttle dead spots on my truck. Maybe some of it is the truck (trans programing) adapting to how the driver drives, but it could also be the driver learning what input the truck needs to get the desired results.

I'm actually quite impressed with the HP they get from the naturally aspirated 3.6L engines in our trucks, light years ahead of the 4.3L Vortec I had in my 2001 ZR2 & probably more power than many V8's that were in the mid 80's trucks. Heck a 71 Chevelle SS with the min 350 2 barrel was only rated at 245 gross HP, our truck would of been GROUND POUNDERS back in the day! LOL
.
My 1995 C1500 with the 4.3L had 195 HP at 4600 RPMs and 260 ft-lbs torque at 2800 RPMs.

My 2001 Tahoe with 5.3L had 285 HP at 5200 RPMs and 325 ft-lbs at 4000 RPMs. (Curb weight, 2WD is 4,828 lbs)

My 2015 Canyon has 305 HP at 6800 RPMs and 269 ft-lbs at 4000 RPMs. (curb weight, 2WD is ~4,200 pounds, 86% of the Tahoe.)
mango87 and CrashFix like this.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.
CaryBosse is offline  
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 03:35 PM
Senior Member
 
CrashFix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada
Posts: 942
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryBosse View Post
My 1995 C1500 with the 4.3L had 195 HP at 4600 RPMs and 260 ft-lbs torque at 2800 RPMs.

My 2001 Tahoe with 5.3L had 285 HP at 5200 RPMs and 325 ft-lbs at 4000 RPMs. (Curb weight, 2WD is 4,828 lbs)

My 2015 Canyon has 305 HP at 6800 RPMs and 269 ft-lbs at 4000 RPMs. (curb weight, 2WD is ~4,200 pounds, 86% of the Tahoe.)
Definitely less Torque out of the smaller displacement engines & to get the higher HP numbers they have to spin them up to a little higher RPM.

Still, fairly impressive IMO.
CaryBosse likes this.

2015 Canyon SLT | 4WD | CC | SB | V6 | Summit White | Blk Leather | Nav | Bose | Safety Pkg | Remote Start | 5" Blk Assist Steps | GM Splash Guards | OBDLink MX Bluetooth Adapter & Torque Pro Software | Bull Ring Tie Downs | X-Pel Clear Film (Door Sill & Rear Lower Box) | Husky X-act Contour Front & Back Floor Mats | Z71/All-Terrain Transfer Case Skid Plate | SuperSkidz Front Skid Plate | Rocker Pinch Welds Blacked Out | Debadged | Blizzacks (For Winter)
How to Search vBulletin.org effectively
CrashFix is offline  
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 10:55 AM
Senior Member
 
ssgjurista's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Calcium, NY
Posts: 8,405
Could this also be related to VVT?

"Brownstone Bumblebee" 2016 Diesel Colorado Z71 CCSB 4X4, Brownstone Metallic
HPD and Provent 200 Catch Cans, Amsoil Fluids, MetalMan Front Differential, Engine Oil Pan, & Steering Motor Skid Plate, Undercover Swing Cases
Say No! to Wheelers's Offroad!

"I respect everyone's opinion, no matter how wrong it may be."
ssgjurista is offline  
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 12:14 PM
Senior Member
 
wildwest450's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Sparta, Tn
Posts: 1,010
Garage
No

You do realize that when in park, there's an engine rev limiter?


.

2016 Colorado Extended Cab 2wd Cyber Metallic Gray
It's almost as pretty as a Canyon

Last edited by wildwest450; 01-27-2017 at 12:16 PM.
wildwest450 is offline  
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 02:25 PM
Senior Member
 
JScottM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 1,119
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
No

You do realize that when in park, there's an engine rev limiter?


.
I hold my foot down on the accelerator in park and my engine won't rev all the way up and explode. Stupid GM. Someone should fix that!
CaryBosse likes this.

Sent from the butt crack of California.
2016 Colorado 4x4 CC SB V6
AS level/lift 2.5" w/1" rear block and diff drop
275/70-17 Cooper AT3 on MotoMetal 970s
Scary, evil looking, black, warranty voiding catch can
JScottM is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome