Pedal Commander - Page 2 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 761Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 735 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

I am very happy to report that the Pedal Commander is everything they say it is and to me, more. I have just came back from a drive of about 70 miles that had city and highway and more than happy with the way the truck ran and drove. It accelerates so easily and smooth which translates in to the way the trans shifts. I have the unit set on city mode which they say is for everyday driving and I couldn't believe how different the truck accelerates and shifts, no chuggle, shutter, or hesitation, come off an exit or entrance ramp and the truck runs right up through the rpm's without having to bury your foot into it to get it going, very linear. The guys at Pedal Commander said I would be amazed at the difference and they are right, for me it is worth every penny and the best part, no programming or tuning. Not wanting to take away anything from those who have or will go through the aftermarket tune, it's a different animal in my book since with a tune you are changing many things no doubt it has it's place for certain things, but for me it was the whole plug and play that makes this a no brainer in my book and this ole' guy is very happy with my truck. Like I said earlier, it literally takes less than 10 mins to install and pick your mode and start driving. I say give it try, you have 14 day money back guarantee and warrant it for I believe 2 years, I can't believe if you try it that you wouldn't be happy.

2016 GMC Canyon All Terrain 4 wheel drive crew cab with 6' bed in Cardinal Red. Mods, Pedal Commander and Elite E-2 catch can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 735 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 07:59 PM

Garage
Well this all sounds pretty good. I've been eyeballing one of these as well. I just didn't want to be the guinea pig. So I'm glad someone stepped up and gave it a shot. Also glad to hear it's working out well for you! Did you notice much change in gas mileage?
post #23 of 735 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 08:05 PM

Garage
Command that pedal

This is what I have been waiting for, thanks. A Twins owner with a straightforward assessment of this product. I have not yet got the PIP 5342B re-program yet. I am going to try that and if still not happy I'll follow your lead.
jerryv likes this.

Last edited by mango87; 02-10-2017 at 08:11 PM. Reason: my bad

post #24 of 735 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtybird78 View Post
Well this all sounds pretty good. I've been eyeballing one of these as well. I just didn't want to be the guinea pig. So I'm glad someone stepped up and gave it a shot. Also glad to hear it's working out well for you! Did you notice much change in gas mileage?
Hard to say at this point, but when I left to do my running around miles to empty was at 203 and after nearly 75 miles I was at 193 when I got home. It will take a tank to really get an idea, but I know they say in eco mode it does help save fuel. Still, I am really happy with this unit, I would recommend this for sure. One things for sure, I have 14 days to evaluate it and I after just a week I will contact them but at this point, it would take a complete failure of the product for me to consider sending it back and even then I would just ask for new unit. They have a 2 year warranty on it so that is good.
dirtybird78 likes this.

2016 GMC Canyon All Terrain 4 wheel drive crew cab with 6' bed in Cardinal Red. Mods, Pedal Commander and Elite E-2 catch can.

Last edited by Chetter'S Z; 02-10-2017 at 08:31 PM.
post #25 of 735 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango87 View Post
This is what I have been waiting for, thanks. A Twins owner with a straightforward assessment of this product. I have not yet got the PIP 5342B re-program yet. I am going to try that and if still not happy I'll follow your lead.
I did the re-program that you stated and it was much better, but I still had that what I call dead pedal feel, or delay feel when hitting the accelerator and waiting for things to happen, this thing eliminated that and I would think translate into better fuel mileage in that you not are mashing the throttle to get going when say heading onto an entrance ramp, it was smooth and linear without having to bury your foot into throttle. I feel I will see an increase in mileage, 90% of driving is city and I have always hated the way the truck didn't know what it wanted to do when you would start to push on the throttle and you're waiting for something to happen, I call it a dead pedal feel.

post #26 of 735 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 09:28 PM

Garage
No racer but hate dead pedal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetter'S Z View Post
I did the re-program that you stated and it was much better, but I still had that what I call dead pedal feel, or delay feel when hitting the accelerator and waiting for things to happen, this thing eliminated that and I would think translate into better fuel mileage in that you not are mashing the throttle to get going when say heading onto an entrance ramp, it was smooth and linear without having to bury your foot into throttle. I feel I will see an increase in mileage, 90% of driving is city and I have always hated the way the truck didn't know what it wanted to do when you would start to push on the throttle and you're waiting for something to happen, I call it a dead pedal feel.
I know you put it on City but what sensitivity # did you use. If I get it, I will go conservative. I am a guy of a certain age too and not interested in tearing it up anymore but hate the dead pedal syndrome too. Thanks for all your input.

post #27 of 735 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 10:00 PM

Thanks for the review man. I'm really interested in this. You should ask these guys for some referral credit because I bet a lot of people will buy this after your positive review. 😉
post #28 of 735 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 11:00 PM

I installed mine today and went for a short drive and it seemed much better! I'll know more tomorrow but I think it was well worth it. With the 30 dollar code gmcjim30 it's not a bad deal and no worries about messing with the factory warranty.
jso902 and JScottM like this.
post #29 of 735 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 05:17 AM

Garage
Quote:
Do you think that the truck stays in a lower gear because of this thing? Or does it just downshift a lot quicker? THanks!

Sent from the butt crack of California.
2016 Colorado 4x4 CC SB V6
AS level/lift 2.5" w/1" rear block, diff drop
275/70-17 Cooper AT3 on MotoMetal 970s
Scary, evil, black, warranty voiding catch can from the devil
post #30 of 735 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 09:22 AM

Ok so I drove into work today with some city driving and some highway driving. The truck seems quicker in all driving conditions. Much better at the 25 to 40 acceleration. Trying the different modes was interesting. The City mode makes the truck feel like it should have from the factory. The sport and Sport+ modes are very aggressive. Watch the youTube video review of the Pedal Commander on a Jeep Wrangler. It talks about how the Pedal Commander does nothing to increase horsepower or torque, but the vehicle just feels stronger all around. That is exactly how I feel about it on my Canyon. It feels like a different truck.... I will be interested to see how it affects mileage. With the positive performance change it will be worth any loss in mileage...
post #31 of 735 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirino View Post
I installed mine today and went for a short drive and it seemed much better! I'll know more tomorrow but I think it was well worth it. With the 30 dollar code gmcjim30 it's not a bad deal and no worries about messing with the factory warranty.
Any idea when the code expires?
post #32 of 735 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 10:01 AM

Not sure on the code expiration, but it works now...
post #33 of 735 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JScottM View Post
Do you think that the truck stays in a lower gear because of this thing? Or does it just downshift a lot quicker? THanks!
I depends on the way you are on the throttle, if say you pull away from a stop or rounding a corner and you get back into the throttle it doesn't seem to search for what gear it needs to be in now. It will hold a gear a little loner if say you in the throttle from a stop, it doesn't hit the next gear so fast as to make it bog down like it used when going through the gears. I am very happy with the way this works.
JScottM likes this.

post #34 of 735 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango87 View Post
I know you put it on City but what sensitivity # did you use. If I get it, I will go conservative. I am a guy of a certain age too and not interested in tearing it up anymore but hate the dead pedal syndrome too. Thanks for all your input.
I set it for city mode and didn't touch the settings as far as + or - I think when you pick a setting it would be like right in the middle of a particular setting and then you can change the sensitivity one way or the other. For me, it is like driving with my throttle being mechanically connected with a cable, as soon as you touch the pedal any effort you put in is right there, that's about the best way to describe it. I went right to their website to order mine and it was 299.00 and I also took the time to message them with questions.

post #35 of 735 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirino View Post
Ok so I drove into work today with some city driving and some highway driving. The truck seems quicker in all driving conditions. Much better at the 25 to 40 acceleration. Trying the different modes was interesting. The City mode makes the truck feel like it should have from the factory. The sport and Sport+ modes are very aggressive. Watch the youTube video review of the Pedal Commander on a Jeep Wrangler. It talks about how the Pedal Commander does nothing to increase horsepower or torque, but the vehicle just feels stronger all around. That is exactly how I feel about it on my Canyon. It feels like a different truck.... I will be interested to see how it affects mileage. With the positive performance change it will be worth any loss in mileage...
Exactly, it is a different truck for sure now, I love it!! Now it's fun to drive!!
JScottM likes this.

post #36 of 735 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 01:40 PM

just installed mine. going for a drive to try it out.

while under there i also found the hose clamp installed for the climate control recall. it was loose from gm's fix 3 months ago. tightened that up too.

Last edited by pltctycanyon; 02-11-2017 at 07:43 PM.
post #37 of 735 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 07:36 PM

one minute install and OMG what a difference !! a totally different truck!
just barely touch the accelerator and it wants to GO !! and that's just on city mode. +1,+2 added response and just amazing! (and that's the lower limits)
NO MORE 1/2 way/all the way to the floor w/accelerator pedal and still using 87 octane

so happy i didn't go the tune route
Carlos31820, brobox and Grey16Ziti like this.

Last edited by pltctycanyon; 02-12-2017 at 01:17 PM.
post #38 of 735 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 07:43 PM

Garage
Quote:
I set it for city mode and didn't touch the settings as far as + or - I think when you pick a setting it would be like right in the middle of a particular setting and then you can change the sensitivity one way or the other. For me, it is like driving with my throttle being mechanically connected with a cable, as soon as you touch the pedal any effort you put in is right there, that's about the best way to describe it. I went right to their website to order mine and it was 299.00 and I also took the time to message them with questions.
Thank you very much for all the feedback and having the nerve to take the lead on this. I gave the pedal area a cursory look today. Just one last question from me, how the heck do you get to behind the pedal to install and then outta the truck without needing orthopedic surgery?

post #39 of 735 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 08:32 AM

Ok, all I did to install the Pedal Commander was kneel outside the door and that gave me great access to the pedal plug. Remember to slide the brown plastic on the plug towards the rear of the truck then pull the plug out. It will not move unless you slide the brown part first. For practice you can look at the plugs on the Pedal Commander they are exactly the same. Now just plug the unit in and position it where ever you want. Pedal Commander has an actual video of an installation on a Colorado on their website. This is by far the best improvement to my truck to date... The discount code gmcjim30 may still work, give it a try.
post #40 of 735 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 12:25 PM

Garage
Sounds like a great improvement for our trucks. Thanks for the install tips.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode