Pedal Commander - Page 20 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 407Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #381 of 453 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 03:52 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
Our trucks are "fly by wire" and the computer interprets gas pedal movement and in turn doles out what the stock programming allows us, and the stock response is pretty soggy, even if you really push on the pedal. Whether this is in an effort to increase fuel economy or to sanitize the trucks for our protection, I didn't like it. My truck was pretty dead and laggy to small inputs at the pedal. Then I would push the pedal more, and it would lag a little more and then finally hit in a comparatively lazy fashion. It is funny how we ascribe emotions to inanimate objects, but the stock throttle response vibe was "OK, if I have to".

With the PC, instead of feeling like my foot was connected to the engine by a flexible rubber band, it is directly connected by a solid rod, just like the good old days, with carbs and cables. The sharpness of that direct connection can be adjusted, much like the cam profile on a cable setup.

With the PC the truck just follows my lead eagerly and solidly, instead of lagging and then softly hitting. Throttle response is "in focus" instead of 'blurry". Instead of feeling like "if I have to" now my truck has an eager "let's party" personality, and what the Hell, I like to party...

As noted earlier, one can tune way too much "let's party" into the throttle response, but that is the beauty of the PC, while it does not increase power, you can get rid of the soft and blurry throttle response (regardless of how far you push the gas pedal) and tune your engine to respond in focus and exactly how you want it to. The PC gives you full access to the power that is there, instead of the stock programming's habit of delaying it's onset.

Think of a Tesla in "insane mode". That mode does not increase the car's power, it simply provides full access to it in a ridiculously immediate way. One can mat the pedal in a Tesla in normal mode and it will be quick, but not "insane". Seems to me the PC brings that kind of adjustability to our trucks.
Thank you for your response. I think I will just stick with what I have, as I would rather lift my foot in traffic instead of lowering the sensitivity of the throttle, especially if it costs $270 to make it less sensitive.

2016 Colorado LT CC SB V6 2WD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #382 of 453 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave66rivi View Post
Thank you for your response. I think I will just stick with what I have, as I would rather lift my foot in traffic instead of lowering the sensitivity of the throttle, especially if it costs $270 to make it less sensitive.
If your happy, we're happy. One thing for others to remember is nobody is out $270. to find out if they like it or not. There is a 14 day money back guaranty and it is a 30 second plug and play to try it. 5 minutes to mount the control box to a hidden location if you decide you like it.
Pedal Commander likes this.

Chuck
2016 Colorado Red Rock, Z71, 4x4 short bed crew cab, tow package, loaded to tow behind my Motorhome
post #383 of 453 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 06:41 PM

Has anyone tested their PC while towing yet? I'd be curious to know how it responds to the city mode and sport modes if you needed to get up and go with the trailer.

I have a 2015 3.6 Colorado and I still need to get the PIP update. Depending on how my truck reacts with the update will determine if I get the PC. I've read this thread from the beginning and it's great to see all of the positivity from this product. Definitely looking forward to what's ahead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #384 of 453 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 08:03 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conner Smith View Post
Has anyone tested their PC while towing yet? I'd be curious to know how it responds to the city mode and sport modes if you needed to get up and go with the trailer.

I have a 2015 3.6 Colorado and I still need to get the PIP update. Depending on how my truck reacts with the update will determine if I get the PC. I've read this thread from the beginning and it's great to see all of the positivity from this product. Definitely looking forward to what's ahead.

I just towed 5k lbs about 80 miles.

Nothing unusual to report, felt no different than non towing except you know your pulling the weight of course, just like before. Still feel the PC working making the acceleration more responsive

Still like it!

2016 Canyon SLT 2.8 Duramax 4x4 SBCC White
post #385 of 453 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 08:24 PM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to EricChevy Send a message via MSN to EricChevy
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatRacer View Post
I'm running it on my 17 now. It is definitely a "want" item vs a "need" item.

This is the most information I can find in the whole thread about whether installing this on a 2017 is worth it.

Do you think it's worth it? I have a 2017 with only 1000 miles and it seems to drive pretty poor in stop and go. Don't get me wrong. Tons of power and I like the shift points it just seems to have a delay after applying the throttle. Sometimes it revs up and feels like a hard shift. I'm thinking about taking it to the dealer about the under 20mph performance. Just seems wrong. I've read a lot of stuff on this forum and can't figure out if this is normal or not. $270 seems like a minor cost to make my new truck 100%.

Anyone who has a 2017 and could elaborate on the PC I would appreciate greatly. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #386 of 453 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 08:55 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricChevy View Post
This is the most information I can find in the whole thread about whether installing this on a 2017 is worth it.

Do you think it's worth it? I have a 2017 with only 1000 miles and it seems to drive pretty poor in stop and go. Don't get me wrong. Tons of power and I like the shift points it just seems to have a delay after applying the throttle. Sometimes it revs up and feels like a hard shift. I'm thinking about taking it to the dealer about the under 20mph performance. Just seems wrong. I've read a lot of stuff on this forum and can't figure out if this is normal or not. $270 seems like a minor cost to make my new truck 100%.

Anyone who has a 2017 and could elaborate on the PC I would appreciate greatly. Thanks in advance.

Mine is a 2016 but if you are tired of counting to four before the truck goes. Get the pedal commander.

post #387 of 453 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 10:01 PM

Garage
Quote:
Our trucks are "fly by wire" and the computer interprets gas pedal movement and in turn doles out what the stock programming allows us, and the stock response is pretty soggy, even if you really push on the pedal. Whether this is in an effort to increase fuel economy or to sanitize the trucks for our protection, I didn't like it. My truck was pretty dead and laggy to small inputs at the pedal. Then I would push the pedal more, and it would lag a little more and then finally hit in a comparatively lazy fashion. It is funny how we ascribe emotions to inanimate objects, but the stock throttle response vibe was "OK, if I have to".

With the PC, instead of feeling like my foot was connected to the engine by a flexible rubber band, it is directly connected by a solid rod, just like the good old days, with carbs and cables. The sharpness of that direct connection can be adjusted, much like the cam profile on a cable setup.

With the PC the truck just follows my lead eagerly and solidly, instead of lagging and then softly hitting. Throttle response is "in focus" instead of 'blurry". Instead of feeling like "if I have to" now my truck has an eager "let's party" personality, and what the Hell, I like to party...

As noted earlier, one can tune way too much "let's party" into the throttle response, but that is the beauty of the PC, while it does not increase power, you can get rid of the soft and blurry throttle response (regardless of how far you push the gas pedal) and tune your engine to respond in focus and exactly how you want it to. The PC gives you full access to the power that is there, instead of the stock programming's habit of delaying it's onset.

Think of a Tesla in "insane mode". That mode does not increase the car's power, it simply provides full access to it in a ridiculously immediate way. One can mat the pedal in a Tesla in normal mode and it will be quick, but not "insane". Seems to me the PC brings that kind of adjustability to our trucks.
This was well said but I'll just add that while the PC is only designed for throttle response it mostly fixed another issue I had and that was the truck's reluctance to downshift when I wanted more power. I'd have to give it about 1/2 pedal in many situations to get it to downshift to give it more power. And when it downshifted it did it in a big way and many times it was too much. Now that the throttle is being "tricked" into thinking I'm giving it that much pedal when in reality I'm not, the downshifting is more frequent and not as potent. Not perfect but wayyy better.
Tucker, RatRacer, Jazzard and 3 others like this.

2016 Canyon SLE w/ convenience and trailering package, nothing fancy.
post #388 of 453 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 11:47 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricChevy View Post

Pffft. I just passed 800 miles.
Long term, I would say it won't be the worst thing $ was spent on.
I put the Trifecta tune on my '15 at 1500 miles, because I couldn't believe how hindered it was compared to my LFX Camaro. It made it worthy and acceptable for 28K, except for the need to remember to push buttons between power and eco modes in certain situations. The '17 LGZ calibration feels ~1/2 way between the Trifecta tune and what the factory '15 programing had, but the "laggy pedal" response is still minorly there somewhat. Truthfully, I'd be happy without the PC on the '17, but the adjustability for throttle response refinements without going into the computer is too good to pass up to not try it. And respond it does.
post #389 of 453 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 11:41 AM

OK, couldn't wait till lunch. Went to the Post Office and picked up the package. Did a parking lot install, and all I can say is WOW! Definitely a world of difference. This is the way the truck should behave! City +1 right now.
brobox and Pedal Commander like this.
post #390 of 453 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
I stand corrected. Am I safe to say a company not as large as GM? For what your company has done for my truck, and others, I hope you all get wealthy.
No, we aren't quite on that scale... yet

Quote:
With great throttle response comes great responsibility.
This had our entire office in tears from laughing for about 15 minutes, hahahahahaha. So great!! Do you mind if I steal it for advertising purposes? Lol
Duken4evr likes this.
post #391 of 453 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 02:17 PM

Glad you guys liked that. I would love it if you used it. Have wasted my working life in insurance, but my college degree was in Marketing you know

As you can surmise, I am a big fan of the PC, along with a lot of others around here!

'17 Canyon SLT CCLB 4X4 Diesel, Bronze Alloy, Cocoa/Dune interior. Line-x.

Last edited by Duken4evr; 03-20-2017 at 02:22 PM.
post #392 of 453 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 02:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to haulingnothing
Hey Jax, what's the little connection port on the side of the pedal commander for? Any plans to make these user programmable? I'd love to be able to plug a laptop in and start messing with throttle curves.

2016 Colorado - 2WD Extended Cab LT V6 - Laser Blue - Shoreline Edition

Plasti-Dipped badges - Air dam delete - DRL switch mod - OPT7 LED low beams - Moroso catch can - Pedal Commander
post #393 of 453 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haulingnothing View Post
Hey Jax, what's the little connection port on the side of the pedal commander for? Any plans to make these user programmable? I'd love to be able to plug a laptop in and start messing with throttle curves.
The port on the side is for us to program the units for you with your specific year and engine size. Your part number PC-07 actually works on a wide array of vehicles. Dodge Darts, Jeep Renegades, Nissan Frontiers... all of them have the same plug type, but all the programs are different.

As far as I know, we don't have any plans to make these programmable by the end customer. There are just too many things that can go wrong. Like someone raising their rev limit to 19k, blows their engine, and tries to blame us for it, lol.
haulingnothing likes this.
post #394 of 453 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Glad you guys liked that. I would love it if you used it. Have wasted my working life in insurance, but my college degree was in Marketing you know

As you can surmise, I am a big fan of the PC, along with a lot of others around here!
Yup, huge fan. Totally happy with this purchase.
post #395 of 453 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 07:46 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JScottM View Post
Is that a crimp butt connector splice ? How did that get there? did you buy your truck new? wtf?
New, 2015 from the dealer.

2015 Colorado Z71 CC LB 4x4 Black
Nav, Bose, Tow

Is your truck lifted, have aftermarket wheels or tires?
Please fill out this survey to help build a database of what fits our trucks.

To view the results click here.
post #396 of 453 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karcinagin View Post
New, 2015 from the dealer.
so is it a "factory" crimp connector? That is very strange........

Maybe they put a trailer brake on it by accident then removed it.

Oh wait, never mind, I was thinking brake switch, not gas pedal.....why would that be there?

Sent from the butt crack of California.
2016 Colorado 4x4 CC SB V6
AS level/lift 2.5" w/1" rear block, diff drop
275/70-17 Cooper AT3 on MotoMetal 970s
Scary, evil, black, warranty voiding catch can from the devil

Last edited by JScottM; 03-20-2017 at 07:57 PM.
post #397 of 453 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 09:08 PM

Another one jumping on the bandwagon. Code is still working as of 3/20.
post #398 of 453 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Another first today:
I live 5 houses from a signalized intersection. Prior to the PC if the light turned green as I backed out of my driveway I could not make the light with the Colorado floored.

This morning backed out of the driveway just as the light turned green....with the PC I made it through the intersection and had green light to spare. That is another first since I have owned this truck after installing the PC. It finally runs like a 305.
I have it set at City +1, so far I have not found one negative with the PC.
Your neighbors must think you're a mad man LOL.
post #399 of 453 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedal Commander View Post
The port on the side is for us to program the units for you with your specific year and engine size. Your part number PC-07 actually works on a wide array of vehicles. Dodge Darts, Jeep Renegades, Nissan Frontiers... all of them have the same plug type, but all the programs are different.

As far as I know, we don't have any plans to make these programmable by the end customer. There are just too many things that can go wrong. Like someone raising their rev limit to 19k, blows their engine, and tries to blame us for it, lol.
So, I have your product in my cart, everyone loves it... one question. I have a duramax full flash tune set on tune 3. I still don't find the throttle "as responsive" as I want... it lags while in a corner and that alone annoys me.

My question: will the pc mess with my dtune, and/or does anyone have any feed back that already has my same setup with the pc? Thanks!

Rig: 16' Colly LT 4x4 2.8D, short bed, G80, Bose, etc

Built list: Bak revolver x2, premium Line-X, rigid b/up lights cut & mounted in bumper, kn insert air fltr, zroadz fog plate w/rigid spots & floods, d-max tuner, matte blk badges and custom diesel badges

To/do: N-Fab runners, bilstien 5100 RHA 2" lift with rear 1" gm lift blks, dry cold air intake, puddle leds, 275/65-18 TA ko2 on helo 904s w/ 0 offset, Anzo headlights and tails

Sponsors: Virginia Line-X (Ant), Alt Mana.
post #400 of 453 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 04:48 AM

Got my PC Friday and installed it in a parking lot, Huge difference! It really makes the V6 wake up! I havn't had time to play with it alot, and the direction card doesn't tell you how to turn it off and on, only how to toggle through settings. I actually convinced a buddy to buy one for his Camaro with a test ride in my Colorado!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode