Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

Whats your favorite base setting?

Pedal Commander

311K views 1K replies 241 participants last post by  Thunderpig 
#1 ·
Well, I just ordered a device from Pedal Commander that hooks up to the accelerator harness to help with what I call, a sometimes dead pedal feel that these fly by wire throttles have. I had my trucks engine and trans computers re-flashed about a month ago and 98% happy with the results but still do not like the lag that I feel when hitting the throttle so I will keep you updated to what happens when it gets here and I install it. Looks like a pretty sweet setup and has nothing to do with the tune of the truck so it does not change the stock tune whatsoever. It works with the throttle circuit only as I understand it. If it does what they claim then I will be really happy with the overall way my truck runs. Right now, this has been only complaint. At 61 years young, I like the idea of plug and play, since I am not any good with the whole tuning thing, tried it but just couldn't get a grasp of it so I went completely back to stock tune and had GM redo both computers and for the most part very happy, I have no shudder with trans and it works as it should.

#424 ·
Don, GM should be installing the PC when a truck is back to the dealer 5 times and they say "it's as good as it's going to get" If it was not for PC... at 5,000 miles and one more time at the dealer I was ready to move towards a buy back or file under the FL Lemon Law.....that's how bad my truck was. It seems that adding a $270. item would be a big saving to stockholders than having to buy trucks back.

At least it works and I don't have to go through the legal hassle now.

#425 ·
I've read this whole thread. Sounds like a great product. My 2016 Colorado diesel has just 1500 miles on it but I just don't see any issues with the throttle response. To me it seems perfectly fine. Could it be that GM fixed it along the way? Or is it that I just don't know what I'm missing?

#426 ·
There's no way they fixed it. Maybe put the word out and try and meet up with someone in your area that has the PC and try theirs. Better yet, just order it. There is a 14 day return policy. I doubt you would return it.

#429 ·
you talkin gas or diesel? That seems so odd that the same model/year trucks would drive so differently. Maybe ECM programming differences?

My 16 v6 seems fine. I've been thinking about getting the PC but it just seems too easy just to push the pedal down when I need more go.... I don't really think it has a "problem". I could be wrong but the bottom line is the PC can't do anything your right foot can't. yes? I do understand it can make it "quicker" in a sense but still.......IDK, maybe if it was a little cheaper I would try it. And yes I know it has a return guarantee.

#433 ·
Just got back from a 2642 mile trip in my Canyon with the PC and I have to say I am very happy and was glad many times that I have the unit on my truck. When I got into heavy traffic around Atlanta, Miami, and other big cities where I had anywhere from 3-as many as 7 lanes of stop and go traffic I was happy it was there, especially when you have to make a quick lane change or trying to blend into traffic from an entrance ramp. When I was in the heavy traffic I moved my setting from just city to +1 for quicker response which was perfect for that situation. I also find the truck runs much better with just using 89 octane fuel instead of the 87. I averaged 20.5 miles to the gallon overall, and given there was many miles of 75-82 mph when on the open roads of interstate 75 or interstate 95. Given the way I drove the truck, I am very happy with that and that was with give or take about 500+ lbs of luggage and people. Overall, I give the PC a big thumbs up for how it worked, it definitely saved my but from an ugly situation. The cost of the PC was a lot cheaper than the deductible of my insurance if I had not had the unit installed for sure. I still say it is money well spent and I will tell you that I did not have any discount coupon when I bought mine since I was the guinea pig for the forum when I started this post 23 pages earlier and I didn't feel it was too expensive give what a tune costs and I don't have to worry about it messing with my warranty.

#434 ·
My truck ran fine and didn't stutter or stumble, but knew and felt that the gearing was a little tall for acceleration. It was no race car. The Pedal Commander added that low end spunk that it needed.

If your truck runs fine, you'll still be amazed at how much more throttle response and smooth operation the PC adds.

I've got to tell you that sometimes guys fine something and rant and rave about it and it ends up being more about them being embarrassed about the money they spent versus the actual usefulness of the product. Well this product is as great as everyone is making it sound. The only downside, I just can't get my head around how it improves performance so much, without talking to the ECM.

#436 ·
Before I bought my Canyon I had a KIA Optima turbo I really loved, partly because it had very eager, instantaneous throttle response. It also had an Eco button on the steering wheel that dramatically dulled the throttle, making it drive like a turd. To get up on boost in Eco mode took 2"+ of intentional pedal travel, in stark contrast to normal mode which would leap ahead with just the curl of a toe. Had Eco mode been the only option, I would not have liked that car nearly as much.

I'm placing my order now, hoping the PC will turn my deep affection for this truck into the same real love I still hold for that Optima.

#437 ·
im another happy customer with PC. got it yesterday at the main post office regular postal guy needed a signature for it and i wasnt home.so when i got out of the post office i nstalled it in the parking lot took about 10 minutes including wiping the surface down with the prep wipe.i installed it up under the dash behind the center stack near the gas pedal there was a nice wide plastic surface out of the way but i could easily reach it.i put the setting on city+1 and i was whoo when i pulled out of the parking lot much faster throttle respone. i actually have more confidence in the truck now the way it reacts now.i think now the truck will be a little more fun to drive around town

#439 · (Edited)
Been a little while now, after going straight to Sport mode out of the box and experiencing that like a moth to the flame, I have played in the range of City +2 to City -3, and for me City -2 is just a peachy perfect blend of smoothness and response for everyday driving. Definitely play with the settings and give each one a reasonable trial.

So cool that this product allows its users to tailor the response to their tastes. Still very happy to have bought it and strongly recommend the PC to anyone with a diesel for sure.

Reactions: Old 96
#442 ·
I finally unhooked my PC, went down and had them do the transmission update on my truck. They had already done the ECM when they fixed the electrical problems i was having. Anyway, the first long slow turn i came to going 15mph and slightly accelerating out of the turn the truck shuddered worse than ever before....lol So as soon as i got home i reinstalled my PC and problem solved. Its only been a day and i've not tried out every speed/situation, but i can tell you on my way home last night from the pool room the truck shifted through every gear so smoothly it was scary good. Before the PIP update it was a little clunky during certain situations. I can only hope the transmission doesn't learn how to make it shift crappy again. I'll update again in a few weeks after i drive it more to see how its doing. So far very pleased at city+1

#443 ·
Reading through most of these posts, it sounds like the PC might be the fix that we need with that shuddering. I have a late model 2016 Z71 Crew, bought it the end of 9/2016. I usually notice it between 20-25MPH is when mine does it. Sometimes the hesitation can last a few seconds before the trans can even think of what it needs to do, it can be frustrating. I think once I buy the Tonneau Cover and Step Bars, this will be my next purchase. I love everything about this truck, except this issue and not having heated mirrors. I just bought weather tech floor guards this past weekend, so that should help keep the truck a bit cleaner from rain, snow, etc.

#445 ·
I've been living with mine for about a week or so now. There is still a little bit of the "stutter" around 30 to 40 MPH, but the minute I experience it, if I press on the gas, it's gone. Definitely the way the throttle should have been designed from the factory...

#452 ·
I have been on the fence about ordering one until yesterday. My wife who knows nothing about cars and usually thinks I'm crazy because I notice things she can't drove my truck. She says did you leave your truck in towing mode or something? She hated driving it and could tell something wasn't right. That was enough for me to hold off on ordering my tracrac for canoe hauling and get this now.

#455 ·
I have been on the fence about ordering one until yesterday. My wife who knows nothing about cars and usually thinks I'm crazy because I notice things she can't drove my truck. She says did you leave your truck in towing mode or something? She hated driving it and could tell something wasn't right. That was enough for me to hold off on ordering my tracrac for canoe hauling and get this now.
Lol! My wife said the same thing when she drove my '15 Colorado the 1st time.:rofl

#454 ·
Just got mine yesterday, installed it and did some driving around; a few observations:

1) Simple...if it takes you more than 2 minutes to plug it in, you need to limit your mechanical activities to putting in gas.

2) The difference is amazing, I think City-1 is where I will leave it.

3) How nice to have a part-throttle downshift; no more mashing the pedal to the floor and having it jump down 2-3 gears while you are waiting for the engine/trans combo to make up it's mind.

4) They are a stand-up company. I specified one day shipping and when I checked tracking, it said 2 days. When I contacted them about this, they immediately credited back the entire shipping costs, not just the difference between 1 and 2 days.
It actually came in one day and I notified them so they will not be out the shipping. These days, it's very rare to have a product that works as advertised AND comes from a company which takes care of it's customers

#458 ·
Go for it, you won't be sorry!! My wife can't believe the difference either and when you play with the settings on the fly, that's pretty cool as well. Your husband will be amazed for sure.

Reactions: Janster
#467 ·
LOL The problem lies within my genes - of which I inherited from my penny pinching dad. I'm still trying to convince myself.

Not sure if I mentioned this earlier - half the time I type out messages and never hit send because I get sidetracked with something else. LOL.

It doesn't have a 'Stock setting'? In other words - you plug it in and can flip back-n-forth between stock & other settings? Or do you have to completely take it off/disconnect it?

Do you guys take it off prior to going to the dealer - for work being performed?

#465 · (Edited)
Mileage is staying the same. But I have also had my foot in it a lot playing with the settings, I'm still on the first tank. I have a feeling I might pick up .5 mpg.
I have been comparing "average speed" with Don S. out in CA. It seems my problem is my average speed which has been 18.5 MPH. This FL Snowbird traffic is worse than I thought it was. No wonder my truck bucked and shuttered so much, my "average speed" is right where all the rough running is. I never get out of the 30 mph range on average speed.

AllTerrain16 I don't see the PC being a big mileage increaser, it may help not having to floor it to make the truck go when you need it to. However it does make the truck run like a real 305 and that is where I "might" pick up .5 MPG, but the Snowbirds are going to have to leave before that happens. The best part not to be POed every time I park the truck because it ran so bad. It finally drives like a brand new truck should.

#460 ·
I'm in for one also. Had it on my wish list but experienced the down shifting issue many complain about while merging to the highway. I'm sure it will help since it has all good reviews. Coupon is still good so it's not too bad if it's a good fix for 270.00. Thank you to all from your input. Will update once I get it and install it.

#462 ·
I've skimmed through most of this thread, jumping from page to page quickly, and if I missed it I apologize, but what has this done to MPG? Has anyone noticed a drastic change in daily driving? I don't have a major issue with the throttle, but this sounds like it could make driving a little more fun and not second guess changing lanes or merging with traffic.

Anyone have MPG comparisons before and after install that they can share? More than just a tank a two of gas, maybe a few weeks or a month or so of driving? I'm sure MPG is down since it's more fun and responsive, but how about daily driving?

#464 ·
I have had the PC for 5 weeks now and after the first few days and playing with it my mpg's are the same before the PC and after. I have also settled on the -2 setting I have the V6. The PC takes away the second guess feeling you get for merging and passing. It just makes the truck drive like it should have from the factory IMO.