Pedal Commander - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 762Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 735 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

Pedal Commander

Well, I just ordered a device from Pedal Commander that hooks up to the accelerator harness to help with what I call, a sometimes dead pedal feel that these fly by wire throttles have. I had my trucks engine and trans computers re-flashed about a month ago and 98% happy with the results but still do not like the lag that I feel when hitting the throttle so I will keep you updated to what happens when it gets here and I install it. Looks like a pretty sweet setup and has nothing to do with the tune of the truck so it does not change the stock tune whatsoever. It works with the throttle circuit only as I understand it. If it does what they claim then I will be really happy with the overall way my truck runs. Right now, this has been only complaint. At 61 years young, I like the idea of plug and play, since I am not any good with the whole tuning thing, tried it but just couldn't get a grasp of it so I went completely back to stock tune and had GM redo both computers and for the most part very happy, I have no shudder with trans and it works as it should.

2016 GMC Canyon All Terrain 4 wheel drive crew cab with 6' bed in Cardinal Red. Mods, Pedal Commander and Elite E-2 catch can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 735 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 08:22 PM

thats looks like an easy fix and surprised no one on here has found before now.
all we need is a discount...
post #3 of 735 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 12:23 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pltctycanyon View Post
They've been around for years.
I've been using them(not this particular brand/model) since '08 on my wife's 535/335/435's
The one's I(ve) used simply install under the accelerator in like a minute or two, and (again, I've used a different brand/model, and of course on a different vehicle) they've all work as advertised. You don't have to overcome the initial dead pedal travel before the motor wakes the fuck up
Anyway, there's at least one other thread on here regarding this topic

2016 Colorado 2.8L D-max, Crew Cab, Long Bed, Z71, 4WD.
ZONE 5.5" Suspension Lift
Moto Metal 970 17x8.5"
Nitto Terra G-G2s, 295/70/17

post #4 of 735 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I know what you mean, I just did a Google search and came upon their website. After doing some reading and looking at the reviews, I decided to give it a try. Like I said, I'm all about the plug and play when it comes to things like this.

2016 GMC Canyon All Terrain 4 wheel drive crew cab with 6' bed in Cardinal Red. Mods, Pedal Commander and Elite E-2 catch can.
post #5 of 735 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 08:00 PM

Garage
That "Pedal Commander" sounds similar to the "Throttle Controller" I posted about on this thread --> dead spot

When you install it I'm sure many would be interested in how it works out for you

I was reading about Electronic throttle controllers the other day, I wonder if those would help with this situation.

https://www.carid.com/articles/why-s...ontroller.html

Maybe @CarID can offer their thoughts on on this?

Johng724 likes this.

2015 Canyon SLT | 4WD | CC | SB | V6 | Summit White | Blk Leather | Nav | Bose | Safety Pkg | Remote Start | 5" Blk Assist Steps | GM Splash Guards | OBDLink MX Bluetooth Adapter & Torque Pro Software | Bull Ring Tie Downs | X-Pel Clear Film (Door Sill & Rear Lower Box) | Husky X-act Contour Front & Back Floor Mats | Z71/All-Terrain Transfer Case Skid Plate | SuperSkidz Front Skid Plate | Rocker Pinch Welds Blacked Out | Debadged | Blizzacks (For Winter)
How to Search vBulletin.org effectively
post #6 of 735 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 01:59 PM

Garage
Subscribed-will be anxious to see how some of you think this improves performance and if there are any "side effects."

post #7 of 735 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 03:55 PM

I'm watching also. My WT was built in October, so I assume it has the most up-to-date programming and I'm still a little disappointed in throttle response.
post #8 of 735 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 04:45 PM

I also made a post a little while back asking about the "pedal commander".
Since then, it seems my pedal lag or dead spot has gotten better.
I HAVE been driving the truck a bit more now that I've been out of work since early December.
I don't know if the improvement has been due to the truck "learning" my driving habits or I've been "learning"! I HAVE been a slight more aggressive with pedal pressure and I think that has helped. Basically I've stopped babying the new truck and I think that helped.
I'm looking forward to your report back.
post #9 of 735 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 04:47 PM

Here's the earlier post I started about the pedal commander:

Pedal Commander vs aftermarket tune?
post #10 of 735 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Well, got the unit yesterday and went out today to install and when I got under the dash to disconnect the harness from the pedal I can see that there is going to be a problem, namely the connectors do not match at all, the connector for my pedal took some playing around with to figure out how to unplug it. Turns out that the orange tab looking me in the face is made to be pulled out which in turns unlocks and slides the connector loose, the pedal commander unit has a much smaller plug and they don't even remotely come close to plugging together, so I just sent them some pics of what I have to see if I was just sent the wrong unit. Here's what I am looking at and I am hoping that they have the correct connections for my truck since I really want to try this out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Misc pics 020517 010 (1024x768).jpg (512.6 KB, 705 views)
File Type: jpg Misc pics 020517 011 (1024x768).jpg (458.0 KB, 684 views)
File Type: jpg Misc pics 020517 012 (1024x768).jpg (272.0 KB, 651 views)

post #11 of 735 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 07:10 PM

Oh, bummer...
mango87 likes this.
post #12 of 735 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Yea for sure, but they apologized for mix up and have the new one on the way along with a t-shirt, so that's cool. Customer service is king in my book and they know that there is potential for more sales through what I post about my experience with both their product and customer service. Will keep everyone interested posted with an honest opinion about their product.

post #13 of 735 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 04:53 PM

cruising at 70mph traffic was kinda pokey gently step on the accelerator and nothing was there, like it was in too high a gear and not downshifting until i got 'assertive' on the pedal. a rare occurrence but irritating you never know when its going to act up.
gotta order this thing

Last edited by pltctycanyon; 02-08-2017 at 04:41 PM.
post #14 of 735 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

I got an email from Jax G who is taking care of my order and he said it was sent priority express mail and should be here shortly. He says I'm gonna love it and that I won't believe the difference it can make in the was the truck will accelerate. I'm ready to get this in and see. Like I said, they were very quick with a response when I contacted them about the mix up and were very apologetic over what happened, said they pride themselves on customer service. Hopefully be here tomorrow.

post #15 of 735 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 03:09 PM

I think I'm going to order one and give it a try. It seems they have 14 day money back guarantee. I also found a current coupon code for 30 dollars off. gmcjim30 I'll let everyone know how I like it.
post #16 of 735 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirino View Post
I think I'm going to order one and give it a try. It seems they have 14 day money back guarantee. I also found a current coupon code for 30 dollars off. gmcjim30 I'll let everyone know how I like it.
i've been looking for a code glad you found one now i'm 278 poorer
post #17 of 735 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 07:18 PM

Garage
Quote:
cruising at 70mph traffic was kinda pokey gently step on the accelerator and nothing was there, like it was in too high a gear and not downshifting until i got 'assertive' on the pedal. a rare occurrence but irritating you never know when its going to act up.
gotta order this thing
That sounds like a transmission thing. If you get this thing I'm very curious what it does in those situations! Either way it sucks to think that the ECM is second guessing everything you do right? I guess sometimes its ok but overall- naw....

Sent from the butt crack of California.
2016 Colorado 4x4 CC SB V6
AS level/lift 2.5" w/1" rear block and diff drop
275/70-17 Cooper AT3 on MotoMetal 970s
Scary, evil looking, black, warranty voiding catch can
post #18 of 735 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 10:04 PM

I'm looking forward to the results as well. I've decided not to go with a tune after all the very logical discussion regarding how the emissions system works. There's plenty of power and torque anyway. What I do want is throttle response. I was going to say I'm sitting on the edge of my seat waiting but then, I always am due to the size of the seat.
JScottM likes this.

2016 Canyon SLT Crew Cab Shortbox Duramax Diesel, Summit White/Jet Black.

Engine built 1/12/16
Placed order 2/20/16
Dealer ordered 2/25/16
Target Production Week 4/11/16
Built and shipped 4/12/16
Delivered to dealer 4/22/16
Drove it home 4/27/16
post #19 of 735 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

Received the unit today, 2 days from the west coast, so I went out into the garage tonite and installed it, took about 5 mins, then powered it up and started truck to make sure had no codes and set it for city mode since that's for everyday driving. I will see what tomorrow brings since it is cold and snowy here tonite and I have the truck all thawed out in the garage really didn't want to go out tonite. Will let you all know, installation is a breeze and I mounted the unit on the side of the console on the inside where I can get to it easily enough. I tucked the wire along the bottom of the console stuffed the cord under edge out of site and keep from catching it on anything. I will take some pics of installed unit tomorrow and post them up when I come back online to let you know what I think.

post #20 of 735 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 09:01 PM

Garage
Thanks for the update and good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode