Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

20K miles and 27mpg Highway w/ V6 Gasser

7K views 38 replies 28 participants last post by  hipendicular1 
#1 ·
Hey folks -
This is from my commute 60-70 mph.

For a real truck that can tow 7000 lbs - I'm impressed.

See less See more
Reactions: plym67cuda
#2 ·
Nice! I have the v6 also and I only average around 21. Do you have any mods?

Reactions: Two Door
#4 ·
I've never seen anything close to that. 20 mpg average here. Winter a lot less. Right now around town I get 15 mpg. lol. Don't care though, it's about the same as the last couple trucks I had. Do you ever step on the gas pedal? How is that possible?
It is easy. Get some straight, flat roads, wind at your back or no wind, and drive steady.

My best is 34.7 MPG for 25 miles with my V6.

While perhaps not a total hypermile drive, you drive like you have a raw egg under your foot.

Note, you aren't going to get that long term. Take it up to 75 MPH, do some stop & go, etc.

My lifetime average is probably about 20 MPG, including significant towing, etc. When I pulled into the office this morning, Trip Odometer 1 was showing 22.2 MPG on half a tank of gas. My drives have included some church/shopping over the weekend, and then my commute for 3 days (Friday/Monday/Tuesday). Did run one errand over to Arlington Friday, probably helped the average, but I took time to run by Lake Arlington since I was just a block away.

Note that in my Wrangler, I would have been at maybe 17-18 MPG for the same trek, so I probably am closer to a hypermiler than a hotdog.

#3 ·
I've never seen anything close to that. 20 mpg average here. Winter a lot less. Right now around town I get 15 mpg. lol. Don't care though, it's about the same as the last couple trucks I had. Do you ever step on the gas pedal? How is that possible?

Reactions: Red20
#6 ·
That's good MPG. My best 25 is 36.4MPG, but that's with the dMax and was during break-in on the interstate while varying speed from 50 - 60 MPH. My current avg is below. I'm 75% city taking the kids all around, so can't keep that high MPG with that routine!

#8 ·
This, and then take a couple mpgs off for the very generous DIC

#9 ·
5 tank average under normal driving conditions is a better marker. I mean, it's great to fantasize but go what creates your fuel bill.

I figure a lifted V6 would get me 17-18mpg and the same configuration in the diesel will get me about 22-23mpg.

#10 ·
Im getting 11.8 mpg on my morning commute, short route, city driving, which sucks balls. Lifetime for the truck is 15.8 mpg so far which includes highway driving (not much though). After the summer I will have a much better idea of what MPGs should be because we tend to travel more vs just commuting to work, but so far Im pretty bummed at the MPG which results from my specific commute. Really crappy.

I noticed cruise control does a really good job of outputting higher MPGs in the live DIC screen. Was your CC engaged? May explain the optimization.

#11 ·
Like I told you before, get up a little earlier in the morning, drive to the Starbucks on the other side of town, park, go in, get coffee, then drive to work. Your overall fuel usage will go up, but the MPGs will look much better.

#14 ·
You sure there is not a clatter coming from under the hood, that you have not been using the green handle located at the end pump at gas stations, and that the tach rarely goes past 3,000? Wondering if someone accidentally put a Diesel in that thing. ;)

#16 ·
Hello - wow such a ruckus.

Sort of reminds me why I don't post here often -
seems lots of folks are little it touchy.

AS stated 55-70mph using Cruise Control.
My Commute to work averages 27mpg,
and the commute home is a bit lower at 25mpg.

Still impressive for a truck that can pull 7000lbs.

And NO- I don't drive like that all the time -
With my factory Catback exhaust I like to kick it as much as the next fellow, and I use Trailer mode for country road driving.

The display is from a 2016 Colorado LT CCLB.

The Mods are airdam delete w/ 1.25 front leveling kit, and folding bed cover.

- Dave

Reactions: Mikeiser and JBT
#20 ·
Hey folks -
This is from my commute 60-70 mph. For a real truck that can tow 7000 lbs - I'm impressed.
A 25 mile sample is an anomaly and not a representation of normal day to day driving. You need a sample of hundreds of miles to get an accurate measurement.

With that said, something has changed for the better with my Duramax. My lifetime average is 26.1 mpg. A few weeks ago I did my first oil change following my free dealer oil changes. I used full synthetic Dexos 2 oil. It didn't happen immediately, but starting with the next few fillups, my mileage went way up (I hand calculate my MPG on every fillup). In that time, I have been at 28-30 mpg. I don't know whether to attribute it to the oil (skeptical), or maybe the motor finally "broke in" at the 25k mark. I have no idea, but I am very happy with the results. I had the '15 Colorado with the V6 and was getting about 16-17 mpg average before I dumped it. Compare that with the mpg I get now with the Duramax and the difference is ridiculous! Actually, it's stupid! Very happy with the Duramax.

Reactions: Duken4evr
#23 ·
This is what I call impressive numbers, mainly because you are leveled and widened on the stance, too. Great numbers.

To the OP, to put it in perspective....my 15' 5.3L Silverado CC 4x4 w/ 20s.... did 37+ mpg over 25 miles once. I was leaving Gatlinburg, TN going downhill! 25 mile DIC is just too easy to manipulate.

#24 ·
As the OP here are my specs.
2016 V6 4WD CCLB LT.
OEM Factory catback Performance Exhaust.
1.25" front leveling kit.
Z71 Wheels and Tires.

#29 ·
I would agree that measurement of the last 25 isn't that representative.

I've got a 2016 CC LB 4x4 Z71 with a tonneau and nerf bars. No other mods.

I've taken a couple of long trips in the truck so far (350 miles each round trip) skiing, Its a hilly drive up and a long down hill on the way back and both times, I averaged 22.8 mpg, which I thought was pretty good. I drove about 70MPH on the way up, and about 60-65 on the way back and used cruise control as much as practical. It is about 2MPG better than my 2001 Ford Ranger would have done, and makes the climbs much easier.

So far I've got about 6000 miles on the truck.

#30 ·
I don't see why everyone is complaining it's definitely possible especially if you didn't do the grandma method of breaking in the truck. I average just under 22mpg on my 50 mile commute to work everyday through some of the worst traffic in Texas. It's a downhill grade to work and normally see 25mpg when I get to work and it goes down when I get home. Also DIC last time I checked was .5 off or so...

And I'm the big heavy 4x4 by the way with airdam removed

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

#32 ·
I have been keeping an eye on fuel economy averages of all the Canyons and Colorados coming in for service over the last 5 months. The Gasser V6 are averaging 20-21 mpg, the gasser 4cylinders have been averaging 23 mpg and the diesels have been averaging 27-28 mpg. These are lifetime averages not 25 mile non stop jaunts. But just for kicks my best 25 mile jaunt was 42 mpg with the diesel.

#33 ·
I have an lifetime average of 18.2mpg on my canyon with the v6 and 2wd, More highway than city

on a drive from jersey city to montauk and back i averaged 26.3mpg with cruise control pegged on 65. that trip had little to no city traffic thru holland tunnel. On a drive from NJ to OBX i averaged 27.5mpg with cruise control pegged at 65. At 65 the truck is very fuel efficient. when dialed up to 70-75 i get around 21-22 mpg on trips from northern jersey to the shore.

worst i ever saw was 8.2mpg while sitting in near stop dead traffic around christmas.

Also my trucks governor hits at 98mph not 100, had to test out exhaust sounds a few times.

#34 ·

Time to fill up. All of this on the same tank of fuel. I was averaging 26.1 lifetime, but it has substantially improved over the past few fillups. Not exactly sure why.

#35 ·
Time to fill up. All of this on the same tank of fuel. I was averaging 26.1 lifetime, but it has substantially improved over the past few fillups. Not exactly sure why.

Being a diesel it probably just broke in. My VW TDI I had, increased shortly after I had 20-25K miles on it. I would also be interested in what is your average speed per tank. The average speed can tell a lot about your drive and how much highway or city driving you do. This is a good post from Fuelly on how to use average speed to determine % of highway vs city driving based on EPA test standards. Tip: Find your "true" city/highway driving splits! | Fuelly

#37 ·
Me Too.

Coincidentally, I have a similar dashboard picture on my phone, covering 75 miles on the Garden State Parkway (returning southbound from Rutgers Univ.), which is all highway, mostly flat, but with some mildly rolling hills further north. DIC indicated 28.2 mpg, with the cruise control set at 66. On that day I had no cargo, no other passengers, and a slight tailwind. On the same trip (not the same day), with a headwind, similar load, I was around 25 mpg. I have the '16 Canyon SLE V6 2WD CCSB Locking Rear, Towing, Spray-in & Bose. From my checking it seems the DIC is usually within 1 mpg of reality, so I'm really happy. For the record, my commute keeps me at around 21 and change mpg -- a mix of city & highway for about 30 minutes. I admit I drive gently -- I avoid jack-rabbit starts and build speed gradually, unless I have a need to stomp on it..... or want to feel the ooomph of those 305 horses.

#38 ·
Scroll through to the average MPH and that will explain high or low mileage figures. My lifetime average is 17mpg and my average MPH is only 26. On a road trip with lots of highway miles I get 25+ easily. Considering that my last truck got 12mpg on average I am quite pleased.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.