Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

Tun & Warranty Question

15K views 30 replies 13 participants last post by  LansonF 
#1 ·
I have had an aftermarket can tune on my previous trucks and it made a notable difference. I would like to put one on my Canyon however I don't want to void the warranty. I see a lot of guys putting them on their trucks, were ya'll not concerned with voiding your warranty or does it not do so? My understanding was changing the ECM programming in any way would void the warranty. Also I had a diablo trinity before and liked the set up and was thinking of going with it again, has anyone put Diablo Sports tune on their truck and compared it to the famed Trifecta tune I keep reading about?

#2 ·
It's simple really. Federal law prohibits manufactures and dealerships to void any part of your warranty simply from adding aftermarket parts. refer to the magnuson-moss warranty act. However, if the dealer can PROVE that the installed part was the cause of the failure, then bye bye warranty on THAT part. For instance, if you install upgraded suspension, and then your alternator goes out, or your motor throw a rod, then they can't void your engine warranty. However, if they determine that the aftermarket tune, or supercharger, or intake upgrade is the cause of the thrown rod, then you would lose your power train warranty. However, your other warranties would still be in place. They can't just be a vague, blanketed warranty "void" without direct cause proof. And the PROOF is on them.

#3 ·
You know, this all sounds great and everything but...........I'm thinking in the end, YOU would have to prove anything if your dealer and/or GM gave you a hard time. After all, THEY don't HAVE to do ANYTHING without a judge telling them too..........You gave the money for the truck, done deal. It's like this, you would have to PROVE that they have to PROVE you are at fault. I hope that GM wouldn't be pricks like that but that is life. Bottom line is: They have your money.....Get it?

Reactions: hacklerjason
#4 ·
Most dealers are probably cool about it. I've had trannys replaced on tuned cars no questions asked. Motor mounts that i sheered fixed.

With that said I did notice they hooked up to the obd port as soon as I brought my truck in. Not sure if it was a scan for a tune or not...

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk

#5 · (Edited)
fyi
Identifying Non-GM Calibrations in Duramax 2.8L Diesel Engines

2016-2017 Colorado and Canyon models and 2017 Express and Savana models are available with the Duramax 2.8L turbocharged diesel engine (RPO LWN). (Fig. 9) Various performance conditions, such as poor drivability, increased emissions, knocking noises, engine damage and black exhaust smoke, may be caused by an aftermarket power-up kit or other aftermarket hardware.

Any time an internal engine hard part failure is found, it’s recommended to check for the presence of non-GM (aftermarket) calibrations. The use of parts, control module calibrations, software modifications, or other alterations not issued through GM will void the warranty coverage for those components damaged by the installation of the non-GM calibration or alteration.

Create a Report in GDS 2

If a non-GM calibration is found, a GDS 2 screen shot is required by the Calibration Group. To take the appropriate screen shot, navigate to Module Diagnostics > Engine Control Module > Identification Information > Calibration History.

Depending on the computer screen configuration and the Number of Calibration History Events Stored, it may be necessary to take two screen shots in order to retrieve, save and view all of the needed information. The report should include the VIN, Calibration History, Calibration Verification Number History and other associated parameters. The VIN must appear on the same screen as the calibration numbers.

Create a report by selecting the Create Report button. (Fig. 10) Email the report to the GM Calibration Group. Refer to Bulletin #16-NA-325 for complete information and email instructions.

#6 · (Edited)
This is a really tricky question. Most powertrain problems that occur under warranty will require that the tech pull the program data from the vehicle. A tuned vehicle will have data that will show as non GM program. You could buy an additional ECM and TCM and have them programmed for your vehicle. If you have any issues plug your factory setting units in. This is similar to the Diablo Tuner for Chrysler/Dodge which comes with a new ECM that has been unlocked.

#7 ·
My Diablo tuner stores the factory tune, in the event i have motor issues I will reload the factory tune before I bring the truck in. They can see how many times the tune was updated, but they can't tell what tune was loaded. I have actually had GM reflash my truck a couple times before I bought my tuner to fix the shifting issues. The service manager told me they could not alter the shift points, he is the one that suggested I buy an aftermarket tuner.

#8 ·
I have had an engine fail because of a canned tune. I brought it to the dealer because it was just a misfire but it turned out there was a hole in the piston. The dealer will not cover this repair under warranty and you will lose any fight you choose to take up. I was stupid and denied settling at them splitting the cost with me. i did everything short of getting a lawyer. the process will be long and you will end up fixing the vehicle yourself before anything would be settled. If youre willing to take the risk, keep this in mind. the whole ordeal cost me about $6000

#12 ·
Even if the flash number was masked, can't the tune be pulled and compared to a stock file? There's always a way....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

#13 · (Edited)
Yes, a reload of a backup flash with Diablo will show as non GM program. According to the techs here in our shop. When they have some time to spare I will reload my backup and have them check.

Update
After reloading my backup tune things do not look like a factory tuned Colorado. The Calibration Verification Number has the wrong value on previous calibration.

#24 ·
I'm the FNG here but I've had direct experience with this, from both sides of the counter. I was a service writer but also an enthusiast car owner most of my life, so therefore, I'm going to weigh in. I've previously tuned most of my personal cars, relying on experienced tuners and never on canned tunes. I choose to take the risk, but it did recently bite me really good. I'll explain in just a bit.

First, I do not recommend anybody actually defend the position of hiding anything or lying, because it constitutes fraud against GM. Or at the very least, willfulness to commit fraud. Right now we have a vendor that just said it can't be detected, but I guarantee if handed a subpoena, their legal reaction would be to claim this product is solely for off-road use and they sold it as such, as-is as well. Nothing against any vendor who would do that, why stick your neck out when it could get cut off, right? But you have to be careful to believe it could not be detected. A investigation would prove them wrong very quickly.

If they (GM or the dealer) ask if the vehicle has been tuned, and you answer "no" but it has indeed been tuned, you basically immediately are now at fault of at least a misdemeanor. You, by enabling a warranty claim, are liable for fraud if you attempt it. It's the same as insurance claim in the eyes of the law. I'm not kidding. Do not forget that it is a lawful contract only if both parties are acting lawfully. You need to consider your legal position in matters like this. While GM or the dealership is not likely to prosecute, you are basically violating the law. And if you are using the law (Magnuson-Moss) to try and defend yourself while violating the law at the same time, I'm sure you can see how you would lose this battle instantly.

Now, that said, I mentioned that it bit me before so here's my story. I had a tuned Focus ST with basic bolt-ons, but putting out pretty good HP and a huge amount of torque over stock on that little snail of a turbo. It ran E30 and 91 tunes, but I never really raced it or pushed it more than maybe hopping on an on-ramp in a hurry. The tune mostly helped with drive-ability, mileage, and general feel of the car's power band, especially in hot desert weather which is a sore spot for the stock ST's programming. I even went so far as to make sure my tuner programmed for extra margin of error in extreme weather, by dropping to colder plugs and so on. The best intercooler available for the platform strapped on, it ran cool as a cucumber in 120 degree weather, and still made tons of power on E30, its fuel of choice in that hot weather.

Well it went down for a clutch failure at a dismally low 8k miles in, and the cause was undetermined. I hammered on Ford to cover it, citing that there's known failures of the slave cylinder leaking (and they did find fluid contamination), so they sent a district rep out to the car, and we went back and forth for weeks about it. I spoke with the dealer several times, Ford customer service and various managers up there a few times, but 29 days into the deliberation process they denied me completely, and I had to pay for a clutch job out of pocket, with barely 2 oil changes on the car. During this process, they asked what mods I had. I explained to them what I had done, why I had done it, and I was honest about it. Did this cost me the repair? I'm not certain. However, I am certain that if I had lied and then they found out, I would be a criminal. Would I be prosecuted? Probably not, in fact I'd say with 99.9% certainty that no they wouldn't. However that doesn't mean it would be appropriate or right for me to act that way. I act with integrity. I don't lie if I make a mistake at work. I don't lie or cheat to make my income. So you need to really think about that. In the end, the dealer felt bad for me (because they processed the repair assuming Ford would of course repair it under warranty, and they knew I wanted the car back asap so they took a chance and put it together without prior Ford approval), and they discounted the job substantially.

Honesty is the best policy, even if it isn't the cheapest. You guys remember that if I ever post anything in the classifieds, if you ever want a detail, or if you ever want me to build your audio system for you. We always must own up for our actions, seen and unseen. :)

#25 ·
Did they deny the clutch because you decided to tell them about the tune? I wasn't sure from your story. Either way you said the slave cyl was leaking and it soiled the clutch? AND they still didn't cover it. What does a tune have to do with a slave cyl leaking?.....jeeeez

Did the clutch slip from your extra torque from the tune or from the brake fluid from the slave ;) ?

Anyway, I think this goes to prove my point earlier that they can do what they want. Of course you could have taken it to court and might have won your money back and maybe even money for a rental car if you got one but no guarantees really. The court won't give you money for the hug pain in the A$$ this whole thing created though......

I'm an honest person but I would never volunteer info about a tune or anything because it might just muddy the waters of the warrantee process, you know?

Reactions: hacklerjason
#31 ·
BTW, just to be useful, here's a TSB# teaching techs how to detect aftermarket tunes

09-06-04-026: Identifying Non-GM (Aftermarket) Engine Calibrations for Gasoline Engines Using Tech 2 or GDS 2 in SI.

This tsb includes pics of blown pistons and scored walls, claiming things like a calibration's failure to properly warm the engine, pre-detonation due to lean-run condition, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.