Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

Transmission Temperatures: 6 speed versus 8 speed

7K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  CaryBosse 
#1 ·
I was reading all the comments on the diesel forum about the concerns for a transmission cooler with the diesel setup. Got me to wondering.

I have a 2015 with the 6 speed transmission. It seems to run fine, no issues with transmission temperatures. I can see that in town temps at stoplights the temp goes up, but on the road, the cooler brings down the temperature quickly. Surprising how quickly the transmission fluid temperature can fluctuate up & down.

Those of you with the new V6 and 8 speed transmission. Are you seeing similar performance for transmission temperatures? I would assume so, since the transmission with 2 extra gears should be able to fine a sweeter gear for the needs at any point, but just wondering.

#4 ·
Only have about 170 miles so far, but during a 1.5 hour 75 mile trip back home at highway speeds of 55 to 62 MPH, the trans temp was always about 140 degrees with the outside air temp at about 52 degrees.

#5 ·
I should have been much more specific.

When towing a load, how do the temps look on the 8-speed transmission?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.