2017s, have the shifting issues been resolved? - Page 2 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 11:58 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pltctycanyon View Post

-->i disagree the 15/16 powertrain was already used in other models. GM had to know there was shifting issues 2 yrs in row and changed the powertrain. why didn't they know before the 15s went into production?
I might be inclined to agree with you on this, if they had left the LFX in front of the 8L45.
The fact that they also dropped in a whole new power plant design, which Camaro and Caddy had started using in '16, shows that it was a planned progression.( as had been previously shared)
Why didn't they know? The power train was previously in sports and luxury vehicle, and their programming wasn't designed for a utility and mpg stretching application, to show the issue (well, some of the Caddy forums folk did take exception to the tranny shifting too). I was thrilled how this combo performed in my LLT and LFX Camaro's, without a single shifting issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 12:08 PM

Similar experience with the 6T70 variant in the Equinox/Terrain with the 3.6L LFX. This combo in an almost 4,000lb vehicle works very well and smooth. I can't say I've read of anyone having "chuggling" in an Equinox or Terrain.

2017 2WD Colorado LT V6 CCSB Luxury & Convenience Pkgs, Black/Ashen Gray Leather, Bullet Bedliner, ARE cap.
post #23 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 03:54 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mummel View Post
Nice to hear the 2017 transmission has been improved. Does this by default imply there continues to be a problem with the 2016 models?
What was/is wrong with the trans in the 15-16 models?

2016 Colorado LT CC SB V6 2WD

post #24 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave66rivi View Post
Nothing for most people apparently . . . some get a chuggle or rough shifting under certain conditions.

2017 2WD Colorado LT V6 CCSB Luxury & Convenience Pkgs, Black/Ashen Gray Leather, Bullet Bedliner, ARE cap.
post #25 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 04:26 PM

Garage
I can make my 2017 Dmax do it. It only happens under the lightest feathered throttle, in 1/2 or 2/3 shifts between 12-16 and 34-40MPH. It feels like a switch skip. If you've ever had a momentary switch that you press just far enough to activate but not reliably, it will stutter and skip. It's kinda like bumpfiring a rifle, if you're familiar with that.

It goes away with throttle or removing your foot from it, in my experience.

vi et armis invictus maneo..
post #26 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 09:06 AM

Quote:
The tranny programming up-shifts WAY too quickly and too often.

Say you're in heavy traffic and everyone starts to accelerate. You get up to 42 MPH and expect to continue to accelerate, but the person in front of you decides to check their Facebook page, so they slow down, forcing you to let off the gas. At that point, for some unknown reason, the tranny decides to up-shift two gears instead of holding the gear you're in, or down-shifting, so when you try to accelerate again there is very little torque available. This forces you to mash the gas to get the truck moving, at which point the tranny will finally down-shift, causing the truck to accelerate too quickly (since you have pedal almost to the floor), and now you're almost on the rear bumper of Mr/Mrs Facebook.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

2015 Colorado Ext. Cab Z71 4X4 (4/15 build date):
Bose, nav., sliding rear window, factory spray-in bed liner, fender guards, Rallyarmor UR mudflaps, Truxedo Lo Pro QT, door sill protectors, BNR tune.

post #27 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 09:14 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rememo View Post

Say you're in heavy traffic and everyone starts to accelerate. You get up to 42 MPH and expect to continue to accelerate, but the person in front of you decides to check their Facebook page, so they slow down, forcing you to let off the gas. At that point, for some unknown reason, the tranny decides to up-shift two gears instead of holding the gear you're in, or down-shifting, so when you try to accelerate again there is very little torque available. This forces you to mash the gas to get the truck moving, at which point the tranny will finally down-shift, causing the truck to accelerate too quickly (since you have pedal almost to the floor), and now you're almost on the rear bumper of Mr/Mrs Facebook.

Lather, rinse, repeat.
After about 2 days of driving my truck I learned to use the throttle to get the desired result, transmission works just fine. I did experience the dropping of to many gears a few times before I fully learned to use the throttle, not an issue anymore.

IMO, it is more of a finicky driver issue than transmission, as the trans all have the same programming and only some people have issues with it while the majority do not.

post #28 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 09:34 PM

Quote:

Lather, rinse, repeat.
Not only is this post funny, everything in it is true, the truck, even down to the Facebook part, sounds like we're in the same traffic... I installed my tune today, what a difference.

2016 Colorado White/black Z71 / Trail Boss Package / Bose
post #29 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatRacer View Post
I might be inclined to agree with you on this, if they had left the LFX in front of the 8L45.
The fact that they also dropped in a whole new power plant design, which Camaro and Caddy had started using in '16, shows that it was a planned progression.( as had been previously shared)
Why didn't they know? The power train was previously in sports and luxury vehicle, and their programming wasn't designed for a utility and mpg stretching application, to show the issue (well, some of the Caddy forums folk did take exception to the tranny shifting too). I was thrilled how this combo performed in my LLT and LFX Camaro's, without a single shifting issue.
as far as i'm concerned....GM sux ATM
i can understand using an engine the shuts off 2 cyl and the tranny with more speeds thats what they're all doing. BUT fix the programming for the 15/16.
RatRacer likes this.
post #30 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 11:49 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pltctycanyon View Post
as far as i'm concerned....GM sux ATM
i can understand using an engine the shuts off 2 cyl and the tranny with more speeds thats what they're all doing. BUT fix the programming for the 15/16.
What is wrong with the programming? My transmission works just fine, it took a couple days of driving it to get used to, but definitely would not say there is a problem with it. The trans does exactly what my foot asks it to do when I push the pedal. It is different than the old 3 and 4 speed autos, and functions much better as I dont remember any of my previous automatics down shifting as well as this 6 speed does. This trans also shifts smoother than any of my previous automatics.

post #31 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 11:10 AM

I only drove a '16 last summer on a test drive, so I didn't pay much attention to the throttle response or transmission shifting, but I was severely unimpressed enough to not even look into the Twins further at that point.
I ended up buying a '17 Forester XT to replace my '15 Forester XT (That went through 2 CVTs in the 25k miles I had it). Both had High-Torque CVTs behind the turbo boxer engine, and I was used to the way the transmission acted in these vehicles before getting the Canyon.
In the Subies, when you "floor it", the transmission take a moment to calculate the right CVT ratio, then the engine RPM rises, the Turbo finally spools up, and then you get acceleration. To pass someone on the highway, you have to start this procedure about 2 seconds before you change lanes to pass, so you have to be careful about traffic in the lane you are changing into. In the Subies, you at least have paddle shifters to set the CVT in a set ratio depending on what Si-Drive mode you are in (6 or 8 ratios), so you could paddle shift down in the ratios to get the engine to spool up for more instant response. It took some getting used to, but having the paddle shifters helped make things manageable.
Now, fast forward to getting the Canyon. I saw that GM updated the engine and trans, and that auto magazine reports were showing the performance at or better than the Forester (0-60, 1/4, roadholding, braking), so I started looking into them. I test drove a Colorado Z71 V6 and a Canyon SLT V6 (because they didn't have the All Terrain at the dealer I went to), and both were a noticeable improvement from the old powertrain combo. I ended up getting the Canyon.

Now, I still have some gripes with the transmission and throttle response though. With the Canyon, generally, throttle response is good, but there are situations where I get frustrated with what I expect to happen vs what the truck does.

Example: We have an stupidly designed on ramp that gets on in the same lane before the off ramp for that street (meaning traffic is both slowing down and speeding up in the same lane). When you are coming around the clover-leaf you can only go about 35-40 or so, but need to get up to highway speeds pretty quickly. In the Forester, I could downshift with the paddles and hit the throttle at the end of the turn and get to highway speeds really quick, and it wasn't really an issue. In the Canyon, if I floor it, it seems to hold the gear it is in at about 2000 - 2500 RPM, and slowly build RPM until it finally accelerates. It never seems to want to downshift around this turn. If I am driving at 35-40 on a straight road, and floor it, it will downshift. I think this has to do with some of the traction control settings, but that reluctance to downshift has gotten me into a couple hairy situations on this one intersection.

There are just plenty of times when I expect it to downshift more than it does, as in, it only shifts down one gear, when it could shift 2 to be in a better range of the torque band.

The other huge gripe I have is the extremely slow response of using the manual shifting buttons. In manual mode, if you accelerate and are nearing the up-shift point, and hit the button, the engine continues to rev up and will eventually hit the rev-limiter, and then back off the throttle, and then finally shift. You can't get around the downshift issue I posted above by using the manual mode because as you are coming out of the turn, if you accelerate to get up to speed, you have to hit the up shift button well before you need it to shift.

I've ordered a Throttle Controller, and I hope this changes some of this characteristic. I see a lot of people in the PC thread that say '17s don't need one because they are better than the '15/'16, but there are still throttle dead spots, and there is still throttle lag that can be improved on.
I am hoping I can use the TC to be able to switch between sensitive response when I am alone in the truck, and less sensitive (but better linearity) when the family is in the truck.

TL:DR - the improvement from the '16 to '17 is what finally won me over to buy one, but it's still got room for improvement.
RatRacer and KY Red Rock like this.
post #32 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:

Lather, rinse, repeat.
This is so funny and so true!

I think I got the worst tranny ever, the chuggle was strong! I went with the BNR tune and specifically asked to extend the upshift MPH which helped greatly. Now the truck will stay in 4th until a reasonable speed obtained and then upshifts (in the scenario above). Now I asked to have the downshift also adjusted to a higher MPH so when I slow down, it will downshift quicker. it is sad that all this could have been programmed by GM correctly to begin with and save us quite a few hundred $s.
post #33 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agsy View Post
This is so funny and so true!

I think I got the worst tranny ever, the chuggle was strong! I went with the BNR tune and specifically asked to extend the upshift MPH which helped greatly. Now the truck will stay in 4th until a reasonable speed obtained and then upshifts (in the scenario above). Now I asked to have the downshift also adjusted to a higher MPH so when I slow down, it will downshift quicker. it is sad that all this could have been programmed by GM correctly to begin with and save us quite a few hundred $s.
Indeed, I live in hilly terrain and the poor shifting is very annoying. I have resisted getting a tune because I bought an extended warranty and I would hate to risk being denied a repair if a tune is discovered.
post #34 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 11:46 PM

Garage
I have a '17 Chevy Colorado LT. The only tranny issue I am experiencing is in the morning or upon startup after not being driven for 8ish hours. When I shift from park to reverse or park to drive with my foot still on the brake I feel a little shake from what I can only believe is the tranny. Once the tranny warms up the vibration goes about 95% away. No shifting issues that I have noticed though. I guess as long as it doesn't fall out of the truck or explode into pieces I'm happy with it .lol

DON'T DIE-Jason Ellis
post #35 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 07:36 AM

Garage
I notice an issue with my Z71 8 speed when I leave my work parking spot. I pull forward, turn and barely accelerate for 100(?) feet, then take my foot off accelerator to slow for turn and end of parking lot aisle. Right as I stop accelerating I get a clunk.

2017 Chevy Colorado Crew Cab Z71 Midnight Edition
post #36 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 11:23 AM

You guys gotta let the tranny flow some fluid first before you just take off and go....

2017 Chevy Colorado Z71, Crew Cab, Short Bed, LGZ 3.6L, 8L45 8 Spd.

How to Videos - Check out my YouTube Channel!
post #37 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 11:30 AM

Garage
Quote:
Mostly the shift points were set completely wrong, leaving the vehicle way under powered in circumstances where you needed it to pass, accelerate, etc. Trifecta tune took care of most of it.

2016 Colorado
Red Hot Trail Boss
post #38 of 40 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 08:28 PM

Hey. New to this forum. What is the deal with the tranny's? Funky shifting on my 2016 Canyon SLE, V-6. Dealer says they do this to meet CAFE requirements. No fix. But I heard there were some TSB's. A recalibration of ECM & TCM? Possibly others? Or maybe turn off the traction control? Anyone know an easy way to get access toTSB's?
post #39 of 40 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:55 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by capjak View Post
Hey. New to this forum. What is the deal with the tranny's? Funky shifting on my 2016 Canyon SLE, V-6. Dealer says they do this to meet CAFE requirements. No fix. But I heard there were some TSB's. A recalibration of ECM & TCM? Possibly others? Or maybe turn off the traction control? Anyone know an easy way to get access toTSB's?
Welcome to the forum.

For me the fix was to drive the truck and let my foot learn to use the throttle to get the response I want. Some of the twins seem to have a chuggle or something, mine doesnt have this problem. This is the first 6 speed automatic I have ever driven and I prefer it to the 4 speed auto in my old malibu. Mainly because this 6 speed down shifts much better when coasting to a stop, it doesnt downshift as firmly as the allison trans in the HDs but is better than any car I've driven and because the lower RPMs at highway speed result in better mileage even with the heavier vehicle. The trans does quickly get to as high a gear as it can so I tend to push a little further to get up to speed quickly and once up to speed it doesnt matter what gear the trans is in. At different speeds it requires different throttle travel to get the downshift you want, the further you push the more gears it will drop. It took about 2 weeks to learn to get the proper response, now I think it gives the best combination of fuel economy vs performance that I could ask for. Some think the truck should have the performance of a camaro, but I wouldnt want to pull even a 2500# trailer with a camaro. If I wanted sports car performance I would buy a sports car, I wanted a truck to use as a truck.

Hope you enjoy your truck as much as I enjoy mine.

post #40 of 40 (permalink) Old Today, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capjak View Post
Yes, there is a PIP update, however..... it does not always work. It helped at first (for me) but after about 3 months, the adaptive learning of the transmission adjusted itself back to where it was before (essentially). Depending on when your truck was built...You might already have the updated PIP.

The chuggle/stutter issue is what its been referred to - mostly a lack of downshifting. Some folks have issues while others do not. There's a variety of reasons why it occurs and nobody can pinpoint why some have it and some don't....it can be anything from where you drive (temps, conditions, highway, city, etc), to how long you drive (length of trips and at what speeds), to how you drive (if your'e a throttle junkie or like to feather it).

There's a variety of different ways to help make this 'less noticable'. Everyone will SWEAR by their own methods. You've gotta make your own decision and hopefully you'll find your own solution. Some folks get their trucks a TUNE, other folks use 93 Octane gas, Some folks drive around in TowHaul mode, Others have the Pedal Commander, and there's probably more I'm missing.

For me, I tend to have a light foot and feather the throttle.... I bought the Pedal Commander and with combination of 89 octane, the chuggle stutter has lessoned, but it still exists. I honestly don't think GM will do anything to remedy this issue. It's a gas saving measure / probably some government requirement. Even the new Tacomas have similar tranny shifting issues.
Tucker and Whip8888 like this.

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s

Last edited by Janster; Today at 06:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode