2017s, have the shifting issues been resolved? - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

2017s, have the shifting issues been resolved?

Anyone has any shifting issues with the 2017s?

2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 3.6L V6 4WD Crew Cab Short Box
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 12:24 PM

Garage
Yup.
Made it real easy to trade my '15.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 12:37 PM

Enjoying my 2017 Colorado LT 3.6L 8-spd.

Smooth and goes. . .

2017 2WD Colorado LT V6 CCSB Luxury & Convenience Pkgs, Black/Ashen Gray Leather, Bullet Bedliner, ARE cap.

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 12:39 PM

I have zero experience driving the 2015/2017 Colorado or Canyon so my perspective is 100% with the 2017 Canyon V6/8 speed.

I really do love this engine/transmission combination. I've owned the Tacoma, and Nissan Frontier, both Gas V6 autos and this is the most powerful and smoothest shifting.....almost all of the time.

I've noticed only a few times; pulling the truck out of the garage in the morning, maybe letting of the gas at slow speeds, a ..... I won't call it a "clunk", but rather a hesitation. It is an oddity and if I could, I'd at the very least check the Transmission fluid level. I understand that it is a closed system and the manual simply tells me to take it to the dealer. Before that, I'm going to find a repeatable situation to show the mechanic instead of "sometime it does this"....which isn't often very helpful for them to diagnose.

To be clear, I've only noticed this maybe 5 times in 1000 miles....but it was noticeable.

I hope this insight is helpful.

2017 GMC Canyon Denali.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 01:15 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad4ssTruck View Post
I have zero experience driving the 2015/2017 Colorado or Canyon so my perspective is 100% with the 2017 Canyon V6/8 speed.

I really do love this engine/transmission combination. I've owned the Tacoma, and Nissan Frontier, both Gas V6 autos and this is the most powerful and smoothest shifting.....almost all of the time.

I've noticed only a few times; pulling the truck out of the garage in the morning, maybe letting of the gas at slow speeds, a ..... I won't call it a "clunk", but rather a hesitation. It is an oddity and if I could, I'd at the very least check the Transmission fluid level. I understand that it is a closed system and the manual simply tells me to take it to the dealer. Before that, I'm going to find a repeatable situation to show the mechanic instead of "sometime it does this"....which isn't often very helpful for them to diagnose.

To be clear, I've only noticed this maybe 5 times in 1000 miles....but it was noticeable.

2017 GMC Canyon Denali.
On cold start ups, these run really rich, until they get up to a certain internal temp, then switch over to normal running parameters. You may be feeling that switch while moving. I've felt it too, rolling out of the drive on cooler mornings, with a 1 minute start to moving situation. Kinda like a momentary system reset.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 01:35 PM

A few early "burps" on the diesel but I really like the L area on the tranny as it gives me 1-6 shift options with the push -/+ of a button. Code does force the shift a bit early when in auto and other than the L shift position it seems a trans tune would be the only way to change those shift points that seem a bit low...fuel savings regime.

2017 Canyon SLT. Crew cab, 2.8L Duramax, 4WD, Silver/Cocoa.

Last edited by RedEyeB20; 04-03-2017 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Clarity of available gears in L mode
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedEyeB20 View Post
A few early "burps" on the diesel but I really like the L area on the tranny as it gives me 1-4 shift options with the push -/+ of a button. Code does force the shift a bit early when in auto and other than the L shift position it seems a trans tune would be the only way to change those shift points that seem a bit low...fuel savings regime.
If shifts occur early to you, the TOW/HAUL option might shift the shifts into a range you prefer?
Bad Apple and RedEyeB20 like this.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 03:27 PM

Have to see...completely forgot that! Thx.
Bad Apple likes this.

2017 Canyon SLT. Crew cab, 2.8L Duramax, 4WD, Silver/Cocoa.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 04:35 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad4ssTruck View Post

2017 GMC Canyon Denali.

I have this too...it is pretty consistent on cold start ups backing out of my driveway, putting into gear and pulling away. If I give it just enough gas to get in moving and coast to the stop sign then go light on the throttle it does not do it, otherwise it will do it every time. I just chalked it up to one of this trucks quirks. Once you are going and warmed up it seems to always be in the right gear.

2017 GMC Canyon All Terrain X Quick Silver Metallic
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 05:50 PM

Engine and transmission are outstanding. Love the new V-6, smooth and plenty of power. Don't be afraid of the engine and transmission!!!
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 06:51 AM

And many don't have problems with the transmission in prior years either...my 2016 is smooth as silk...don't fall victim to car forums where a minority of people having problems appear to be the majority of owners.
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 07:32 AM

I had/have the following:

2016 GMC Canyon V6 6-speed transmission, 7000 miles-no issues with transmission.
2017 GMC Canyon Denali V6 8-speed transmission, 1000 miles-no issues with transmission.

Quite frankly, I can't tell any difference on shifting between the two.

zoz
Tucker and dave66rivi like this.

2017 GMC Canyon Denali
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 10:30 AM

I wouldn't say it's butter smooth 100℅ of the time, but it's a truck not a luxury car and no shift yet has ever left me in the wrong gear.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Red20 likes this.
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 10:31 AM

My '17 Canyon is incredible as far as shifting goes. It's very smooth throughout all 8 and the downshift is great, too. But I'm personally having to get used to it. I've driven quick sticks my entire life and this is my first automatic vehicle and first truck. When the truck shifts up, I love the feel. When it shifts down, it catches me off guard at times. It's a very smooth downshift, it's only the shortness of gears that cuts the "coasting" feeling when coming to a stop light/sign. I find myself needing to pedal a bit to my stops because the low gears are so short and will slow you down pretty damn quick. For me, it feels premature - even compared to other automatics that I've driven of family members' over the years. However, this isn't so much a truck issue as it is an issue that my brain needs to be rewired from down shifting on my own the past 13 years. My only "want" is a more response on the gas pedal. Seems like the PC would fix that but I'll wait a month or two before pulling the trigger on that mod.

2017 GMC Canyon SLE All Terrain
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 10:39 AM

Sounds like the new 8 speed is a sweet transmission.

FWIW, I am really pleased with my '17 diesel and the 6 speed. Very smooth and nothing weird about it. Perhaps GM's latest programming on the 6 speed is finally good. Wondering about pre '17 gas truck guys with the 6 speed, and hoping that the latest code fixes the problems for those who are having them.

Literally, the only "defect" I found and corrected in my Canyon was a loose ECM that made a deep rattling noise at times. Stuck a dense thin layer of closed cell foam I had laying around from mounting a lithium battery in my dirt bike to the back of the ECM and remounted it, problem solved. Other than that, the truck has literally been perfect
post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Nice to hear the 2017 transmission has been improved. Does this by default imply there continues to be a problem with the 2016 models?

2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 3.6L V6 4WD Crew Cab Short Box
post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 03:19 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mummel View Post
Nice to hear the 2017 transmission has been improved. Does this by default imply there continues to be a problem with the 2016 models?
No, just a standardized progression for cost savings, since they are already putting the same in other models. Cheaper to make more of one part, than less of several different parts.
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinsonian View Post
My '17 Canyon is incredible as far as shifting goes. It's very smooth throughout all 8 and the downshift is great, too. But I'm personally having to get used to it. I've driven quick sticks my entire life and this is my first automatic vehicle and first truck. When the truck shifts up, I love the feel. When it shifts down, it catches me off guard at times. It's a very smooth downshift, it's only the shortness of gears that cuts the "coasting" feeling when coming to a stop light/sign. I find myself needing to pedal a bit to my stops because the low gears are so short and will slow you down pretty damn quick. For me, it feels premature - even compared to other automatics that I've driven of family members' over the years. However, this isn't so much a truck issue as it is an issue that my brain needs to be rewired from down shifting on my own the past 13 years. My only "want" is a more response on the gas pedal. Seems like the PC would fix that but I'll wait a month or two before pulling the trigger on that mod.

You're describing the feeling and transmission performance of a 2014 and up Dodge Ram, Hemi. It's fantastic. (its' also made by Mercedes)......If my next truck (Canyon/Colorado) has that tranny in it, I'll be as happy as a piss puppy.

OFFICIAL Z71 PILOT
post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 04:19 PM

Garage
I have had no problems with the transmission. Feels very smooth and plenty of Power where my 16 Tacoma felt gutless

2017 Colorado 3.6L, Crew Cab, Short Bed, Z71, 4WD.
post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 09:43 AM

Quote: Originally Posted by mummel View Post

No, just a standardized progression for cost savings, since they are already putting the same in other models. Cheaper to make more of one part, than less of several different parts.

-->i disagree the 15/16 powertrain was already used in other models. GM had to know there was shifting issues 2 yrs in row and changed the powertrain. why didn't they know before the 15s went into production?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode