What a short Honeymoon - Page 2 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatRacer View Post
Correct, no mo dipstick. Check and fill like an old school lawnmower.
Ah, well I stand corrected, but it's still almost as useless when your not physically able to get under & check it.

2017 Graphite Metallic Z71 Colorado Crew Cab
3.6L 8sp auto 4x4 with Locking Rear Diff
American Tonneau Tri-Fold Tonno Cover
Bed Rug
Lund 5" Oval Stainless Side Steps
WeatherTech Splash Guards
Finish protected by Chemical Guys & Turtle Wax
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 01:51 AM

That sucks. :( Keep us posted and keep your head up. It's not like it's your fault.
KY Red Rock likes this.

2016 Canyon SLE CC LB All-Terrain 3.6L - RC 2" Kit | Goodyear Duratrac P265/70/17
2013 Chevy Volt

Instagram
post #23 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by F8LZ71 View Post
That sucks. :( Keep us posted and keep your head up. It's not like it's your fault.
Thanks! Story of my life on vehicles lately. I actually think I should have kept my 16.
Toughsox likes this.

Bed Rug

post #24 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KY Red Rock View Post
Thanks! Story of my life on vehicles lately. I actually think I should have kept my 16.
I hate this, keep us posted!

2016 Colorado White/black Z71 / Trail Boss Package / Bose
post #25 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 04:50 PM

I know, too soon but -

I do hope its something quick and simple. Good luck at the dealer.
KY Red Rock and 16Coloradoz71 like this.

2005 5 cyl, Black on Black, 4 door
2016 Z71, Black, Long Box, 4 door
post #26 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

Still the same

Nothing much has changed, still about the same. The truck just turned over 1K. I thought it just needed to learn, but I don't think that's going anywhere. The driveline lash is really bad when going slow. Also at about 600 miles the crappy feeling through the steering (like a loose wheel, bad rack, bad tie rod etc...) showed up on this truck, my 16 did it at 400 miles. What gives? I know going to my dealer will be about useless, so I'm looking to try another, which by dealerrator has a really good rating. If I can get these 2 issues fixed I'll be a happy camper. Getting into a 17 wasn't really worth it if I get no remedy.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0515171608-01.jpg (192.3 KB, 88 views)

Bed Rug
post #27 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 09:29 AM

I have over 3000 miles on my 2017. I have not experienced anything you describe here. the 8 speed is flawless, and the 3.6L transitions from V6 to V4 mode seamlessly. I wouldn't know unless the dash indicator on the screen said so.

I honestly have no complaints on this truck.

Mine does clunk a bit when going from Park to Reverse. But then again, every single truck I've had and my dad has had, has done this. Like every 1990-2007 Suburban my dad had. My old 2002 Silverado. My 2011 F150. My 2014 GMC Sierra and now my 2017 Colorado. Even my dads 2014 Ram does it (ZF 8 Speed trans).

It's a truck thing.
KY Red Rock likes this.

2017 Chevy Colorado Z71, Crew Cab, Short Bed, LGZ 3.6L, 8L45 8 Spd.

How to Videos - Check out my YouTube Channel!
post #28 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 10:01 AM

Garage
Sorry to hear this Red Rock! It sounds like you just have bad luck...Almost 3000 on mine now and really no problems. First gear can be a little flaky under the right conditions...but for the most part the transmission is butter.
KY Red Rock and fondupot like this.

2017 GMC Canyon All Terrain X Quick Silver Metallic
post #29 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 11:04 AM

Garage
Quote:
Also at about 600 miles the crappy feeling through the steering (like a loose wheel, bad rack, bad tie rod etc...) showed up on this truck, my 16 did it at 400 miles. What gives?
You know, my steering wheel has felt more loose lately. It seemed to happen to me when I took my front air dam off, so I just figured it had something to do with the airflow. Maybe not.
KY Red Rock likes this.
post #30 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Going from the 16 chuggle to the 17 herky jerky. Come on GM. I'm not sure which ones worse

Bed Rug
post #31 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 12:59 PM

My 8 speed is super smooth. Nothing rough or jerky. It does like to try for the best mpg a little too hard, but it drives awesome in tow/haul. It just feels right. It's not too bad otherwise. Actually, I freaking love this truck.
KY Red Rock likes this.
post #32 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 01:00 PM

Garage
My two cents...

My first post...was waiting to have the chance to wash my truck and take some pics before posting in the new owners thread...but anyways...

I have a 2017 Z71 CCSB and have experienced something similar to what the OP is feeling.

I've got around 3700 miles on the truck, and I noticed this shortly after I purchased the truck. At low speeds, when the transmission is in a higher gear with the RPMs around 1500 and I'm going up a hill, I push the accelerator down to maintain my speed and I feel an uneven power delivery, almost like a stuttering feeling. If I push the gas hard enough to make the truck downshift, there's no problem. The transmission seems to want to stay in the highest gear as much as possible.

I come from a 6 speed manual and I compare it to if you were going 25mph in 6th gear and you press the gas you get that feeling of uneven power delivery (obviously )...

I have no issues with the truck going back and forth between V4 and V6.

Otherwise the transmission is very smooth...apart from occasional roughness shifting out of first gear when in bumper to bumper traffic.
KY Red Rock likes this.

post #33 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 01:54 PM

Garage
I have not noticed any issues liek that with my 17. Here in Louisiana I cross a lot of bridges and overpasses, but never once felt any jerking. I have around 6500 miles on the truck now.
KY Red Rock likes this.

post #34 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccoycm84 View Post
My first post...was waiting to have the chance to wash my truck and take some pics before posting in the new owners thread...but anyways...

I have a 2017 Z71 CCSB and have experienced something similar to what the OP is feeling.

I've got around 3700 miles on the truck, and I noticed this shortly after I purchased the truck. At low speeds, when the transmission is in a higher gear with the RPMs around 1500 and I'm going up a hill, I push the accelerator down to maintain my speed and I feel an uneven power delivery, almost like a stuttering feeling. If I push the gas hard enough to make the truck downshift, there's no problem. The transmission seems to want to stay in the highest gear as much as possible.

I come from a 6 speed manual and I compare it to if you were going 25mph in 6th gear and you press the gas you get that feeling of uneven power delivery (obviously )...

I have no issues with the truck going back and forth between V4 and V6.

Otherwise the transmission is very smooth...apart from occasional roughness shifting out of first gear when in bumper to bumper traffic.
There is something called "kickdown mode" built into the gas pedal. You won't find anything about it in the owners manual, but it is something the 8 speed transmission equipped GM vehicles have. Basically it's a little "notch" built into the accelerator pedal. You can feel it, if you floor the pedal, and then push a little harder, the pedal will go a little further and the transmission will kick down to a more appropriate gear for better acceleration. It will result in a surge of power, which could be what you are experiencing. But its meant for when you need a little extra juice for accelerating.

2017 Chevy Colorado Z71, Crew Cab, Short Bed, LGZ 3.6L, 8L45 8 Spd.

How to Videos - Check out my YouTube Channel!
post #35 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 02:50 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fondupot View Post
There is something called "kickdown mode" built into the gas pedal. You won't find anything about it in the owners manual, but it is something the 8 speed transmission equipped GM vehicles have. Basically it's a little "notch" built into the accelerator pedal. You can feel it, if you floor the pedal, and then push a little harder, the pedal will go a little further and the transmission will kick down to a more appropriate gear for better acceleration. It will result in a surge of power, which could be what you are experiencing. But its meant for when you need a little extra juice for accelerating.
I've felt "kickdown mode" in the gas pedal, but I don't need to get that deep into the pedal to downshift to get the "stuttering" feeling to go away. All I really need to do is get the truck to downshift one or two gears and then everything feels smooth.

I'm not really concerned about my situation; just thought I'd put in my two cents. In my case, I feel like it's a programming issue where it takes a little more gas pedal travel than I'm used to to get the transmission to downshift. I've been driving manual transmissions for the last 10 years, so I'm still getting used to daily driving an automatic.

post #36 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 05:07 PM

2017 Canyon V6 here, I've got a little over 6k miles on it (bought it at the end of February), and haven't seen anything like this on my truck.
I do know that some of the symptoms sound more like the way my truck acts in Auto 4WD mode. Sort of. I am sure you know to check, but it isn't the 4WD knob in the wrong mode, is it?

On McCoy's point, I think I know what you are talking about. Sometimes I floor it to pass someone going up the mountain to my house (at 7000 ft above sea level) and it drops down a gear, but could go at least another, then finally it decides that it can and drops down one more gear to give me the power to pass up hill. There's a huge delay between pedal to the floor (past the kickdown notch) and the trans shifting into the correct gear. It's annoying, but I think it was programmed as maybe something of a safety feature to prevent people from flying into the car in front of them.
post #37 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 10:37 AM

Damn man. :( I was hoping your upgrade to the 2017 would end in bliss and less frustration.
KY Red Rock likes this.

2016 Canyon SLE CC LB All-Terrain 3.6L - RC 2" Kit | Goodyear Duratrac P265/70/17
2013 Chevy Volt

Instagram
post #38 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Damn man. :( I was hoping your upgrade to the 2017 would end in bliss and less frustration.
Thanks! I truly appreciate that.

I'm hoping going to another dealer might do the trick.

Bed Rug
post #39 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks! I truly appreciate that.

I'm hoping going to another dealer might do the trick.
Crossing my fingers for ya! :)
KY Red Rock likes this.
post #40 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 09:26 AM

Garage
Quote:
Well that great new owner feeling went down the toilet pretty quick. Took a short trip Sunday (60 miles) & began noticing on our return the transmission/drivetrain acting kinda strange. First when going into V4 mode it made a noticeable thud (it had not before) going back into V6 mode seemed OK. Also when climbing a steep grade I felt what seemed like the torque converter locking & unlocking. At any rate it was a felt thuds of some sort & it was in V6 mode, definitely not normal IMO. First thought is maybe the transmission fluid is low. Of course we can't check that ourselves anymore due to some moron thinking a sealed transmission was a great idea. It also makes a really good clunk when going into reverse, way more than my 16 ever did. So there we have it. I already have an appointment set for Tuesday for getting my steps switched over & my alignment done, now I have to have this looked into. Seems it's always like this for me, I just hope it's an easy fix, my luck they'll say it's normal.

Any update or resolution on this?
KY Red Rock likes this.

2016 Colorado
Red Hot Trail Boss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode