2017 3.6L Cold Start, Engine Noise, Rod Knock, Rattle? - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 01:49 AM Thread Starter

Garage
2017 3.6L Cold Start, Engine Noise, Rod Knock, Rattle?

Hey forum peeps,

So my 2017 Colorado, as well as my 2017 Canyon, both with the 3.6L v6 and both with 800-900 miles on them, makes a very strange noise on a cold start up. I tried searching but only came up with 1st gen stuff.

Anyways, on a cold start up in the morning or after the truck sits for more than maybe 8 hours, ( I am in Florida) it sound like a nasty rattle, cam chain, rod knock, sort of sound. I usually use my key fob to start the truck and I can always here it for a few seconds almost as if there is no lubriation...

So I just went to the dealer in the colorado and had the oil changed and it still does the same thing. I grabbed the keys to 2 different colorados on the dealers lot and both did the same exact thing. This may be totally normal but normal, mechanical train of thought tells me otherwise.

Have any of you had this exact problem? Maybe it is only an issue on the new v6 for 2017? I want to say that it almost sounds like an exhaust heat shield rattling but the truk makes ZERO noise other than cold starts.

I can try and take a short video for you guys and upload it and maybe it'll give you a better understanding of the type of noise. I am not sure how the quality will come out though from my cell phone.

Anyhow, thanks for any input on this. I appreciate you helping me brainstorm. I asked they dealer and they told me "Oh yea totally normal" before I could even tell them the make and model...lol I hate them so much.

Thanks!
KY Red Rock likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whocares05050 View Post
Hey forum peeps,

So my 2017 Colorado, as well as my 2017 Canyon, both with the 3.6L v6 and both with 800-900 miles on them, makes a very strange noise on a cold start up. I tried searching but only came up with 1st gen stuff.

Anyways, on a cold start up in the morning or after the truck sits for more than maybe 8 hours, ( I am in Florida) it sound like a nasty rattle, cam chain, rod knock, sort of sound. I usually use my key fob to start the truck and I can always here it for a few seconds almost as if there is no lubriation...

So I just went to the dealer in the colorado and had the oil changed and it still does the same thing. I grabbed the keys to 2 different colorados on the dealers lot and both did the same exact thing. This may be totally normal but normal, mechanical train of thought tells me otherwise.

Have any of you had this exact problem? Maybe it is only an issue on the new v6 for 2017? I want to say that it almost sounds like an exhaust heat shield rattling but the truk makes ZERO noise other than cold starts.

I can try and take a short video for you guys and upload it and maybe it'll give you a better understanding of the type of noise. I am not sure how the quality will come out though from my cell phone.

Anyhow, thanks for any input on this. I appreciate you helping me brainstorm. I asked they dealer and they told me "Oh yea totally normal" before I could even tell them the make and model...lol I hate them so much.

Thanks!
Sounds scary but your 2 trucks and 2 new ones on the lot do it too? Must be normal.

Sent from the butt crack of California.
2016 Colorado 4x4 CC SB V6
AS level/lift 2.5" w/1" rear block, diff drop
275/70-17 Cooper AT3 on MotoMetal 970s
Scary, evil, black, warranty voiding catch can from the devil
post #3 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 02:21 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JScottM View Post
Sounds scary but your 2 trucks and 2 new ones on the lot do it too? Must be normal.
Yea. I mean, I don't remember my 2015 v6 colorado making this noise but I cringe every damn time I start this truck now. I have a hard time believing this is a normal operation. Maybe the cam chain is slapping or lack of oil pressure or rather the new cartridge filter is lacking a bypass. I have no idea.... I figured maybe some other 2017 owners would have the same issues but I guess not TOO many people have 17's yet.

post #4 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 02:55 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Ok, So, I've got some audio just now. Tell me what you think. RIGHT AT 9 to 10 second transition you can hear it. It is only there for maybe a second cause the truck has only been sitting for 4 hours. It's worse after all night or a few days without driving it. Thanks.

Vocaroo | Voice message

post #5 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Ok, So, I've got some audio just now. Tell me what you think. RIGHT AT 9 to 10 second transition you can hear it. It is only there for maybe a second cause the truck has only been sitting for 4 hours. It's worse after all night or a few days without driving it. Thanks.

Vocaroo | Voice message
I'm stumped, sounds too fast for an internal engine problem that I've ever heard. I guess it could be something to do with variable valve timing or the cyl cut out stuff? It does sound like something loose until the oil pressure comes up but wow, don't know. But either way if 4 new trucks do it I would think its normal. Although its not like a normal sound a vehicle should make too right? Weird....Hopefully some other 17 owners will chime in.

post #6 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 07:12 AM

I would not over think this.

Today's cars make some crazy noises at start up.

My other car makes a loud roaring sound as when cold a door is open on the intake and you hear the air more for about 30 seconds.

Then there is another item when you shut it off that sounds like a ball bearing rolling and then a door shuts. Both are normal and due to cold start emissions.

Today's cars while similar are vastly different than even a couple years ago.

You can have a dealer check it but I wager they all do it and it is normal. The truck have two low of miles to have a piston slap or any rare fatal ness about them.

Like stated it could be something on the AFM.
post #7 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Hey forum peeps,

Thanks!
That short rattle is likely one of the hydraulic chain tensioners. The previous LFX 3.6L and even my 2010 3.7L I5 Atllas engine did that short "rattle" sound upon a cold start if you really listened for it. The newer LGX and LGZ 3.6L engines use similar timing chain design elements. And. . I would be willing to say your previous Twin did it as well with the LFX 3.6L, but maybe not as pronounced. My 2017 also has that and sometimes more noticeable than others. Not a concern. It could also be the hydraulic valve lifters pumping up upon a cold start. Oil drains back over some hours of sitting.

It takes a second or so for the hydraulic timing chain tensioner to tighten up by means of engine oil pressure on it. The tensioners work on one or more of the chain guides on the slack side of the timing chain. Some tensioners may only have a spring behind them to do the job. There may also be a balance shaft chain in these engines with a tensioner.

The timing chain has a series of chain guides with one or more also operated by an oil pressure tensioner. Below is a picture of a typical V6 Overhead Cam V6 engine (the GM 3.6L LFX I believe). The red arrows point to three tensioners and the blue arrows are other timing chain guides.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GM LFX Timing-block-Image.jpg (124.1 KB, 82 views)

2017 2WD Colorado LT V6 Luxury & Convenience Pkgs, Black/Ashen Gray Leather, Bullet Bedliner, ARE cap.

Last edited by GraniteBlue05; 04-05-2017 at 08:28 AM.
post #8 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 08:21 AM

Sounds like the lifters going nuts on the start up. Which might make sense because the V6 are Variable Valve Timing(VVT) right? So maybe thats just the start up sequence to help fight the cold start emissions? I dont know, just throwing out some bs.
hacklerjason likes this.
post #9 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 09:04 AM

my 17 canyon does this intermittently. im not worried about it.
post #10 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 09:10 AM

Garage
OK, I started both this morning to investigate this, and they do it too. I concur that it is parts of what everybody's listed being employed.
GraniteBlue05 likes this.
post #11 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 11:18 AM

Well what ever it is making the noise it's got 5yr/60k miles to PROVE if it is normal or not.
16Coloradoz71 and JScottM like this.

2016 Colorado CCLB 4X4 Brownstone
post #12 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 11:43 AM

Angry Mine Too!

Mine does this exact noise as well. Not every time, but about 5 times now. I think it's the AC clutch, but not sure. Looks like were all in the same boat. Let's all of us work together to see what this is.

2017 Graphite Metallic Z71 Colorado Crew Cab
3.6L 8sp auto 4x4 with Locking Rear Diff
American Tonneau Tri-Fold Tonno Cover
Bed Rug
Lund 5" Oval Stainless Side Steps
WeatherTech Splash Guards
Finish protected by Chemical Guys & Turtle Wax
post #13 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 12:02 PM

The "rattle" is likely the hydraulic timing chain tensioner as I mentioned earlier.

This is a well known quirk on many brands of newer overhead cam engines with the long timing chain paths that they must circumnavigate.
This is not to be confused with a chronic stretched timing chain or timing chain guides which was another problem on earlier engines. The noise from that issue was constant and you would hear it all the time.
As long as it last only for a few seconds upon a cold start it is not a problem. Worry when your hear rattles, knocks, or other nasty sounds ALL the time.
KY Red Rock likes this.

2017 2WD Colorado LT V6 Luxury & Convenience Pkgs, Black/Ashen Gray Leather, Bullet Bedliner, ARE cap.
post #14 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Okie Dokie then...
JScottM likes this.

post #15 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 04:12 PM

Garage
Quote:
Okie Dokie then...
Hey, you axed
Whocares05050 likes this.
post #16 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Okie Dokie then...
Yup. ... nice color you have there.

Whocares05050 likes this.

post #17 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatRacer View Post
Hey, you axed
Damn Chevy and their lack of quality... lol
RatRacer likes this.

post #18 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 04:33 PM

Garage
Quote:
Damn Chevy and their lack of quality... lol
But it's a consistent lack of quality
KY Red Rock and Whocares05050 like this.
post #19 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatRacer View Post
But it's a consistent lack of quality
True that LOL
KY Red Rock likes this.

post #20 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteBlue05 View Post
The "rattle" is likely the hydraulic timing chain tensioner as I mentioned earlier.

This is a well known quirk on many brands of newer overhead cam engines with the long timing chain paths that they must circumnavigate.
This is not to be confused with a chronic stretched timing chain or timing chain guides which was another problem on earlier engines. The noise from that issue was constant and you would hear it all the time.
As long as it last only for a few seconds upon a cold start it is not a problem. Worry when your hear rattles, knocks, or other nasty sounds ALL the time.
huh? what is it rattling against? The chain itself? Don't the tensioners have a healthy spring behind them too just for this reason? Could be the noise but I don't buy it.......just my guess ;)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode