The Chuggle is real! - Page 3 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 43Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 90 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 10:22 AM
Member
 
Dragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 32
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JScottM View Post
Anyone try 91 octane in their diesel??? Did it fix the chuggle?
If it's the same thing happening on the Diesels, then it's cetane in the fuel that can be adjusted. My last car was a diesel and it never, ever misfired, even under the highest load and lowest RPM; it got real loud, but never skipped a beat.
Dragon is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #42 of 90 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 12:45 PM
Senior Member
 
JScottM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 1,119
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon View Post
From the dealership. I had a temporary "Service Stablitrack" message in the DIC, so I took it in. They said there was nothing in the history for the Stablitack, but there was a count of 108 misfire events on #4 Cylinder. Part of my note when I took it in, is that the service message came up immediately after the engine ran rough for a second when sitting at idle. That was my question in the other thread: how does running rough affect the stablitrak? Running rough would be a misfire, but at a count of 108, it was not that 1 second stumble that caused all those; at 600 RPM, 300 fires per minute, 100 would be 20 seconds straight of misfiring.... It was only 1 second or less; enough to give the truck a quick shake. The only other time I've experience anything not normal, is the low RPM, slight pedal pressure "chuggling" that this thread is about. I'm guessing it's really a misfire; otherwise a normal engine would just sort of powerlessly lug through it like every other engine ever built, not start to buck...
oh yes, the dealer thing....Im thinking that 100 was probably over a very long time. could have been spread out, not at once. Nothing to do with Stabilitrac. So your truck actually bucks? wow, there must be something wrong. I would take it back and tell them it bucks at low rpm at whatever speed. They might actually do something.

Do other peoples trucks buck too? Mine has never, ever, even came close to, bucking. Lugging, yes, that is a good description of the low rpms the truck likes to drive at. NOT bucking, or even chugging. lugging ya.......
dave66rivi likes this.

Sent from the butt crack of California.
2016 Colorado 4x4 CC SB V6
AS level/lift 2.5" w/1" rear block and diff drop
275/70-17 Cooper AT3 on MotoMetal 970s
Scary, evil looking, black, warranty voiding catch can
JScottM is offline  
post #43 of 90 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 12:59 PM
Senior Member
 
JScottM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 1,119
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by agsy View Post
Gm could have at least suggested it. I would love to put two of the same v6 trucks side by side, one that has the chuggle and one that does not, and run a log or live scanner to see what is the difference. There has to be something that the ECM does differently or whatever causes the hesitation.

Mine was so bad even my wife noticed it while she was driving the truck. She usually has no observations with her car unless there is something really bad going on. I have to take her car for a drive here and there just to make sure that everything works as it should.

I was very close to trading my truck in for a 17 just because of this one annoyance. If the dealer would have given me a better price I probably would not have started this thread.
Well I meant "engineered" for high octane but then made to run low for marketing reasons. Thats what I don't buy. I think it would be safe to say just about any engine can be made to run a little better with higher octane gas just because you can advance the timing a little. Just for fun I tried a tank of 91 once. I didn't notice anything different (power or mpg). Of course it could have had a few ponies more but I could never feel it. I suppose its possible that that few extra ponies makes that chuggle go away for some?? It would make sense. I think if I felt forced to run 91 I would get a tune to go with it. It would make the most out of the 91 I think.

Sent from the butt crack of California.
2016 Colorado 4x4 CC SB V6
AS level/lift 2.5" w/1" rear block and diff drop
275/70-17 Cooper AT3 on MotoMetal 970s
Scary, evil looking, black, warranty voiding catch can
JScottM is offline  
 
post #44 of 90 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 03:19 PM
Senior Member
 
dave66rivi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Stockton
Posts: 233
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JScottM View Post
Well I meant "engineered" for high octane but then made to run low for marketing reasons. Thats what I don't buy. I think it would be safe to say just about any engine can be made to run a little better with higher octane gas just because you can advance the timing a little. Just for fun I tried a tank of 91 once. I didn't notice anything different (power or mpg). Of course it could have had a few ponies more but I could never feel it. I suppose its possible that that few extra ponies makes that chuggle go away for some?? It would make sense. I think if I felt forced to run 91 I would get a tune to go with it. It would make the most out of the 91 I think.
My truck runs fine on 89 octane, I've never run 87 in it. I would be surprised if the dealership didnt fill it with premium before I took it home. I have always run 89 or 91 in my vehicles, once had an old beater monte carlo that would not run well for long on 87. The difference in cost from 87 to 91 octane is only $.20, comes out to< $4.00/tank. Not sure why anyone would be against spending a few $s more /tank, but would rather buy an expensive contraption that would really benefit from 89 or 91 octane fuel.

2016 Colorado LT CC SB V6 2WD

Last edited by dave66rivi; 04-22-2017 at 03:23 PM.
dave66rivi is offline  
post #45 of 90 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Florida
Posts: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by JScottM View Post
oh yes, the dealer thing....Im thinking that 100 was probably over a very long time. could have been spread out, not at once. Nothing to do with Stabilitrac. So your truck actually bucks? wow, there must be something wrong. I would take it back and tell them it bucks at low rpm at whatever speed. They might actually do something.

Do other peoples trucks buck too? Mine has never, ever, even came close to, bucking. Lugging, yes, that is a good description of the low rpms the truck likes to drive at. NOT bucking, or even chugging. lugging ya.......
If we list from low to high, lugging, chugging, bucking, my truck had a few rare bucks, mostly chuggs and on good days just luggs. I was able to notice them from the passenger seat while my wife was driving. I guess I had a few lazy ponies that did not want to do the work .


Quote:
Originally Posted by dave66rivi View Post
My truck runs fine on 89 octane, I've never run 87 in it. I would be surprised if the dealership didnt fill it with premium before I took it home. I have always run 89 or 91 in my vehicles, once had an old beater monte carlo that would not run well for long on 87. The difference in cost from 87 to 91 octane is only $.20, comes out to< $4.00/tank. Not sure why anyone would be against spending a few $s more /tank, but would rather buy an expensive contraption that would really benefit from 89 or 91 octane fuel.
It's not about being against the extra cost, it's more like the "have to" if you want the engine to perform well. We shouldn't "have to" unless the manual says so I guess...

The price difference it is not that much, especially if you can squeeze a little more MPG out of the higher octane. So far the numbers on my DIC for the 93 look good, averaging around 20.1 on the same route I used to average 18.3 with 87. I am very curious what it comes out to at the next fill-up (miles driven/gallons pumped). With 87 the computer was off +1 MPG.
agsy is online now  
post #46 of 90 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 09:12 PM
Senior Member
 
JScottM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 1,119
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave66rivi View Post
My truck runs fine on 89 octane, I've never run 87 in it. I would be surprised if the dealership didnt fill it with premium before I took it home. I have always run 89 or 91 in my vehicles, once had an old beater monte carlo that would not run well for long on 87. The difference in cost from 87 to 91 octane is only $.20, comes out to< $4.00/tank. Not sure why anyone would be against spending a few $s more /tank, but would rather buy an expensive contraption that would really benefit from 89 or 91 octane fuel.
I run 87 in my truck, no problems, sure as heck no bucking. That seems to me like a missfire that needs to be fixed.
dave66rivi likes this.

Sent from the butt crack of California.
2016 Colorado 4x4 CC SB V6
AS level/lift 2.5" w/1" rear block and diff drop
275/70-17 Cooper AT3 on MotoMetal 970s
Scary, evil looking, black, warranty voiding catch can
JScottM is offline  
post #47 of 90 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 12:21 AM
Senior Member
 
KY Red Rock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: nowhere
Posts: 309
Question

Anyone run with 104+ octane boost?

2017 Graphite Metallic Z71 Colorado Crew Cab
3.6L 8sp auto 4x4 with Locking Rear Diff
American Tonneau Tri-Fold Tonno Cover
Bed Rug
Lund 5" Oval Stainless Side Steps
WeatherTech Splash Guards
Finish protected by Chemical Guys & Turtle Wax
KY Red Rock is offline  
post #48 of 90 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 07:59 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: NJ
Posts: 5
My 2008 Impala SS with the 5.3 V8 would run on 87 but the manual said you could experience diminished performance. Said 91 was preferred. I ran 89 because I'm cheap. I may have missed out on some mysterious performance. So there's a Naturally aspirated GM asking for 91 octane.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ColoradoCop is offline  
post #49 of 90 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 10:59 AM
Senior Member
 
Janster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 1,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by agsy View Post

The price difference it is not that much, especially if you can squeeze a little more MPG out of the higher octane. So far the numbers on my DIC for the 93 look good, averaging around 20.1 on the same route I used to average 18.3 with 87. I am very curious what it comes out to at the next fill-up (miles driven/gallons pumped). With 87 the computer was off +1 MPG.
You gotta figure *COST PER MILE* to know whether its worth the extra cost for the higher octane (if you're really concerned about MPG's). In most cases I've ever experimented with on other vehicles - it's really not an advantage in money savings using higher octane. You might think there's a benefit because you're seeing higher MPG's...but it's the COST PER MILE that will tell you the real story.
JScottM likes this.

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s
Janster is offline  
post #50 of 90 (permalink) Old 04-29-2017, 08:31 AM
Senior Member
 
pltctycanyon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Florida
Posts: 371
is chuggle a technical term? i can't find a definition that fits a truck. certainly not in urban dictionary
pltctycanyon is offline  
post #51 of 90 (permalink) Old 04-29-2017, 10:07 AM
Senior Member
 
Janster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 1,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by pltctycanyon View Post
is chuggle a technical term? i can't find a definition that fits a truck. certainly not in urban dictionary
LOL <slap>

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s
Janster is offline  
post #52 of 90 (permalink) Old 04-29-2017, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Florida
Posts: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by pltctycanyon View Post
is chuggle a technical term? i can't find a definition that fits a truck. certainly not in urban dictionary
It's funny, when I first tried to research about the issue, I didn't know how to exactly describe it until I came across this forum. I guess if you have a '15 or '16 Colorado/Canyon, chances are that you know what it means ☺️. BTW I'm half way done with the tank of 93. I'm going to give it 89 this time and see how it behaves (trying to find the sweet spot and stick with it). I'm curious about the mpg too.
agsy is online now  
post #53 of 90 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 10:24 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Chicago
Posts: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by agsy View Post
It's funny, when I first tried to research about the issue, I didn't know how to exactly describe it until I came across this forum. I guess if you have a '15 or '16 Colorado/Canyon, chances are that you know what it means ☺️. BTW I'm half way done with the tank of 93. I'm going to give it 89 this time and see how it behaves (trying to find the sweet spot and stick with it). I'm curious about the mpg too.
I've also been experiencing this issue, which can be quite annoying. I tend to see it happen when decelerating from 25-20 MPH and then hitting the gas again, and sometimes it does it around 34-35+ MPH. It's like a hesitation/chug.

I have a 2016 Z71 Crew Cab that I purchased at the end of September. I do use 87, but I might try 93 for a few tanks of gas to see what happens.

This is not good, I've literally had instances where I needed to accelerate to get past someone only for this shit to happen. I can see where it can get someone into an accident if they don't time it right, the person changing lanes is being a jerk not letting you pass over.

I have a few minor things I dislike with the truck, but they are nothing that is the end of the world. This issue just really stinks and I wish that GM would get it fixed. Some guy posted back of some class action lawsuit that is going around with regards to this. I hate those things since at the end we only see like $30-50 at the most which is nothing. If anything, those kinds of lawsuits should force these manufacturers to fix the issues that they get take to court for.

This is my first truck and I really like it, it makes me think how I went all these years without one.
johnspeed likes this.

Last edited by captainzombie; 04-30-2017 at 10:27 PM.
captainzombie is offline  
post #54 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 11:47 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Mid Atlantic
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainzombie View Post
This is not good, I've literally had instances where I needed to accelerate to get past someone only for this shit to happen. I can see where it can get someone into an accident if they don't time it right, the person changing lanes is being a jerk not letting you pass over.
I was passing a car going about 10 under the speed limit (55) on a two lane road on a long straight stretch...nothing coming...started to pass and press the pedal and wait for downshift...keep pressing and still no downshift...I see a car coming and press the pedal much harder. My truck finally downshifts and now I'm going about 80. In "most" vehicles with an auto transmission it would have downshifted one gear when I started pressing on the pedal and I would have been going about 60-65, which would have been fine given the road and amount of space I had to pass, instead the transmission tries to stay in a higher gear at a lower rpm, at some point "it" decides I am doing something that requires shifting and then shifts down too much. Now if the road had been wet/slick (when it did finally shift) I could have lost traction...very annoying.
captainzombie likes this.
dlmpsy is offline  
post #55 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 12:45 PM
Senior Member
 
Whip8888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Amherstburg Ontario Canada
Posts: 106
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmpsy View Post
I was passing a car going about 10 under the speed limit (55) on a two lane road on a long straight stretch...nothing coming...started to pass and press the pedal and wait for downshift...keep pressing and still no downshift...I see a car coming and press the pedal much harder. My truck finally downshifts and now I'm going about 80. In "most" vehicles with an auto transmission it would have downshifted one gear when I started pressing on the pedal and I would have been going about 60-65, which would have been fine given the road and amount of space I had to pass, instead the transmission tries to stay in a higher gear at a lower rpm, at some point "it" decides I am doing something that requires shifting and then shifts down too much. Now if the road had been wet/slick (when it did finally shift) I could have lost traction...very annoying.
I was experiencing the exact same thing as you.
I installed the pedal commander last week and now my truck is awesome.
It made such a big difference. Now i just feather the gas and she'll drop a gear for me.
The truck feels just like it should have from the factory.

Check out the pedal commander thread there are a lot of happy customers there

2016 Colorado Crew Cab Long Box
2013 Fusion SE 2.0L Eco Boost
1988 Firebird Formula
Whip8888 is offline  
post #56 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 03:03 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Mid Atlantic
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip8888 View Post
I was experiencing the exact same thing as you.
I installed the pedal commander last week and now my truck is awesome.
It made such a big difference. Now i just feather the gas and she'll drop a gear for me.
The truck feels just like it should have from the factory.
I did buy the PC a few months ago, and it does help a great deal in passing situations...much quicker to get to the next gear without mashing on the pedal. I still have some downshifting issues...when going around a low speed/low rpm turn, for example. I'm glad the PC has helped solve your issues . I think most of us here really like our Colorado's, it's a shame many seem to be having this "chuggle" issue.
dlmpsy is offline  
post #57 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 03:31 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Chicago
Posts: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmpsy View Post
I was passing a car going about 10 under the speed limit (55) on a two lane road on a long straight stretch...nothing coming...started to pass and press the pedal and wait for downshift...keep pressing and still no downshift...I see a car coming and press the pedal much harder. My truck finally downshifts and now I'm going about 80. In "most" vehicles with an auto transmission it would have downshifted one gear when I started pressing on the pedal and I would have been going about 60-65, which would have been fine given the road and amount of space I had to pass, instead the transmission tries to stay in a higher gear at a lower rpm, at some point "it" decides I am doing something that requires shifting and then shifts down too much. Now if the road had been wet/slick (when it did finally shift) I could have lost traction...very annoying.
It can be rather annoying at times when this happens. This is the biggest thing that I hate with the truck, other than that, the small minor things I can deal with. At times I've even stepped hard on the pedal in hopes that it helps get into the next gear, it even feels like there is a struggle.

If you guys need to bring the truck in for service to the dealer, do you just unplug the PC so it doesn't void your warranty?

The messed up thing is that if the PC can semi-fix the problem, why doesn't GM have something similar or provide a tune that will not make this issue as apparent?
captainzombie is offline  
post #58 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 03:44 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Mid Atlantic
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainzombie View Post
It can be rather annoying at times when this happens. This is the biggest thing that I hate with the truck, other than that, the small minor things I can deal with. At times I've even stepped hard on the pedal in hopes that it helps get into the next gear, it even feels like there is a struggle.

If you guys need to bring the truck in for service to the dealer, do you just unplug the PC so it doesn't void your warranty?

The messed up thing is that if the PC can semi-fix the problem, why doesn't GM have something similar or provide a tune that will not make this issue as apparent?
You can turn the PC off or unplug it. I will likely just turn it off. It hides pretty easy...I have mine between the plastic console and heater duct work...it's attached with some Velcro to the carpet. I just have it set to City -1 and that seems to work OK for me.
captainzombie likes this.
dlmpsy is offline  
post #59 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 03:54 PM
Senior Member
 
Whip8888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Amherstburg Ontario Canada
Posts: 106
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainzombie View Post
It can be rather annoying at times when this happens. This is the biggest thing that I hate with the truck, other than that, the small minor things I can deal with. At times I've even stepped hard on the pedal in hopes that it helps get into the next gear, it even feels like there is a struggle.

If you guys need to bring the truck in for service to the dealer, do you just unplug the PC so it doesn't void your warranty?

The messed up thing is that if the PC can semi-fix the problem, why doesn't GM have something similar or provide a tune that will not make this issue as apparent?
I have to believe that this is the way GM wants this truck to run.
I bought a 2016 for the reason that GM has had this engine and transmission in production since 2010. It has been in Camaros and Cadillacs just to name a few and i don't remember those people having this issue. So i would think that if they wanted to this could be fixed with out too much hassle.

Keep in mind here that I'm just talking out of my a$$ and i have no facts to back this up, but those are my thoughts
captainzombie likes this.

2016 Colorado Crew Cab Long Box
2013 Fusion SE 2.0L Eco Boost
1988 Firebird Formula
Whip8888 is offline  
post #60 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 05:01 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Mid Atlantic
Posts: 23
If tuners can fix it, then GM can as well. I believe it's operating as designed, sadly (for many) it has a very negative effect on drivability.
captainzombie likes this.
dlmpsy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome