The Chuggle is real! - Page 4 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
They tweaked it ....by putting out the 8 speed.

Who puts out a new transmission and engine after only 2 years in production?
The C7 Corvette upped the auto trans from 6 to 8 speed after 1 year.

'16 GMC Canyon, Quicksilver Metallic, SLT, Short Bed, Crew Cab.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmpsy View Post
You can turn the PC off or unplug it. I will likely just turn it off. It hides pretty easy...I have mine between the plastic console and heater duct work...it's attached with some Velcro to the carpet. I just have it set to City -1 and that seems to work OK for me.
Same here, I wanted to set it and forget it. I find City -1 perfect. Some of these trucks had 2 main issues, the "chuggle" and the downshift inconsistency. I had mine jump from 6th to 3rd many times before the PC because I had to keep pressing down on the pedal further and further to call a shift. Now I know exactly how much to press if I want 5th or 4th gear while passing since it's much less travel on the pedal. The small lag is still there while shifting, it ramps up the RPM before catching the gear but at least I can call the downshift much easier and consistent.

Still chuggle free here, about 400 miles in. If there is any tranny learning going on, I don't notice it. Finally the drive is truly enjoyable.
Whip8888 likes this.
post #63 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip8888 View Post
I have to believe that this is the way GM wants this truck to run.
I bought a 2016 for the reason that GM has had this engine and transmission in production since 2010. It has been in Camaros and Cadillacs just to name a few and i don't remember those people having this issue. So i would think that if they wanted to this could be fixed with out too much hassle.

Keep in mind here that I'm just talking out of my a$$ and i have no facts to back this up, but those are my thoughts
The tuning for this powertrain is totally different between an aerodynamic Camaro that just needs to fly and a truck that needs to haul some cargo.

This is the way GM wants it to behave. As I have compared before: Real dog owners know you don't train a dog, they train you. Same token, my truck has pretty much trained me to understand how to feed it the gas. I have some issues, but pretty much know how to handle it.

The Pedal Commander is about one truck payment for me, and at current rate, I should have truck paid off before the end of summer. Might even just pay it off in a few weeks. Better use of my funds for now.
JScottM likes this.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.

post #64 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 09:40 AM

Quote:
You can turn the PC off or unplug it. I will likely just turn it off. It hides pretty easy...I have mine between the plastic console and heater duct work...it's attached with some Velcro to the carpet. I just have it set to City -1 and that seems to work OK for me.
That sounds pretty easy to hide with the velcro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip8888 View Post
I have to believe that this is the way GM wants this truck to run.
I bought a 2016 for the reason that GM has had this engine and transmission in production since 2010. It has been in Camaros and Cadillacs just to name a few and i don't remember those people having this issue. So i would think that if they wanted to this could be fixed with out too much hassle.

Keep in mind here that I'm just talking out of my a$$ and i have no facts to back this up, but those are my thoughts
It is one of the reasons to why I waited till year 2 of the Colorado so they can work out the kinks as I was also considering the Taco at the time.

Quote:
If tuners can fix it, then GM can as well. I believe it's operating as designed, sadly (for many) it has a very negative effect on drivability.
For sure, yes it is operating as designed, but you think when they were doing R&D they have to of come across this issue. I'll look into the PC and try to see if 93 gas will help with this a bit.
post #65 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Just an update for those of you who are thinking of switching to 93 gas and wondering about the cost difference that I am experiencing.

I just filled up today, about 320 miles driven. The DIC showed a +.4 difference vs hand calculated MPG, much more accurate compared to 87 (used to be about +1.2 or so). Average city driving came out to 20.7 on DIC, 20.3 with my calculations. Cost per mile is around 14.2 cents (hand calc.). I used to get around 18.5 hand calculated MPGs with 87 same trip to work.

With my calculations I was paying around 12.5 cents per mile with 87. So the "chuggle" fix costs me 1.7 cents a mile. These are rough calculations so I'm sure we need to give it a margin of error but overall it is not a huge difference with current gas prices. The 87 currently in my town is 2.33, the 93 costs 2.89. If 91 keeps the "chuggle" down also, the cost difference would be even less, granted the gas mileage stays the same.

I hope this helps.
post #66 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 02:12 PM

Garage
I would be very interested in what 91 would do in your truck in the same driving conditions. Also, does the 93 octane contain 10% ethanol or 0% ethanol? Some stations in our area have ethanol in their top grade and some do not. Some offer 87, 89, and only 91 as their top grade. My understanding is that the vehicle might need at least two tanks to remap itself. You might gain a hair more in mpg yet.

2016 Equinox LT AWD/ 3.6 V6 /Patriot Blue
2017 Colorado LT 4WD Extended Cab/ 3.6 V6/ Silver Ice Metallic
post #67 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseih View Post
I would be very interested in what 91 would do in your truck in the same driving conditions. Also, does the 93 octane contain 10% ethanol or 0% ethanol? Some stations in our area have ethanol in their top grade and some do not. Some offer 87, 89, and only 91 as their top grade. My understanding is that the vehicle might need at least two tanks to remap itself. You might gain a hair more in mpg yet.
At this particular station the 93 does contain 10% ethanol. There is only one station in my town with pure gas (93) but it's $3.32 for a gallon.
post #68 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 04:35 PM

Garage
I've been trying octane boost additive for the last tank and only 1/8th through the current tank: STP 155 mL Octane Boost, 2-pk | Canadian Tire

It's $5 a tank, compared to the cost of $10 at the pump to go from 87 to 89. ($15 for 91 octane). So far, the chuggle is almost completely gone for me. I can still "feel it" once in a while... a very, very short, single partial detonation hiccup. I can feel it but my passengers have never noticed it, even if I say "did you feel that??" right after it happens. Before this, they were the ones asking: "...why's it doing that?..", it felt like a cylinder dropped if I didn't let off or mash to gas to drop a gear.

The side affect, is my mileage has gone from ~12 l/100 to ~10.5 (according to the DIC). Unfortunately, I don't keep exact records to proper tank to tank calculations. I'm pretty sure MOST of that 12% difference is because I can now lightly accelerate in slow traffic and off the line (when no one is behind me in a hurry). Where before, I had to generally accelerate harder to stop it from bucking like a friken piece of crap vehicle.

I'm going to buy more, so I always have a few in the truck. If it stays good, then this is my fix. A sure-expensive-pain that I didn't sign up for when I bought the truck. If anybody is going after GM, let me know... I'll sign on.
post #69 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 06:05 PM

Garage
As agsy, said above, higher octane fuel is the fix. I started using the mid grade Exxon, I think it is 89 octane. Three tanks now and shifting is good now, shortly after changing. About 40 cents a gallon more but I can deal with that. At least you do not have to worry about getting run over from the sluggish issue. Thanks agsy for the help.

2016 White Colorado Ext. Cab.LT 3.6 V6 6 Spd. Automatic 2WD 3.42 Gears:

Factory Fender Flares (Dealer installed)
BAKflip G2 Tonneau Cover
Bed Mat
Curt 51140 Brake Controller
GM Black Bow Tie Set
Factory Towing Package w/7,700 lb. hitch

See my album for pics
post #70 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16WhiteColly View Post
As agsy, said above, higher octane fuel is the fix. I started using the mid grade Exxon, I think it is 89 octane. Three tanks now and shifting is good now, shortly after changing. About 40 cents a gallon more but I can deal with that. At least you do not have to worry about getting run over from the sluggish issue. Thanks agsy for the help.
I'm thrilled that sharing my positive experience helped. It is not a solution that we should have to do but at least it's one that works.
post #71 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 11:38 PM

Thanks agsy for posting this the week before. Last week I filled up with 93, it feels like the truck just drives better than when using 87. I even noticed an increase in MPG which is a plus. The chuggle/hesitation isn't fully gone for me, but it just feels like the truck does drive smoother.
post #72 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 07:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainzombie View Post
Thanks agsy for posting this the week before. Last week I filled up with 93, it feels like the truck just drives better than when using 87. I even noticed an increase in MPG which is a plus. The chuggle/hesitation isn't fully gone for me, but it just feels like the truck does drive smoother.
Give it one more tank. Mine was gone on the second fill-up. I wonder if the ECM takes that much time to adjust so that it doesn't pull the timing so much.
post #73 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agsy View Post
Give it one more tank. Mine was gone on the second fill-up. I wonder if the ECM takes that much time to adjust so that it doesn't pull the timing so much.

I just filled up again this morning, so I'll report back on the weekend how things go.
post #74 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 09:55 PM

I'm going back to mid grade. This is the fifth 93 grade I've put on her and the hesitation is still pretty vivid especially when driving in slow traffic.
post #75 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by videopho View Post
I'm going back to mid grade. This is the fifth 93 grade I've put on her and the hesitation is still pretty vivid especially when driving in slow traffic.
Wow, that's crazy. Sounds like it's not a fix for you.. Sorry to hear that.
It was 102 degrees here the other day and my truck still had no hesitation. Before it was more noticeable in warmer temperatures.
post #76 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 07:43 PM

I learned very quickly that the 87 Octane garbage they sell in my area would not work in my 2015. 89 keeps the chugged to a tolerable level, most of the time, as long as you drive in a moderately aggressive fashion. I recently tried a couple tankfulls of 91 Octane and the chuggle is just about gone. The problem now is with Pennsylvania's ridiculously high gas tax, 91 Octane is $3.05 a gallon, 89 is $2.89 and the craptastic 87 averages $2.70. My truck is gettig worse mileage on 91 too.
Janster likes this.

2015 Silver Ice Metallic Colorado LT 4x4 Ext Cab.3.6L,
29,000 miles and counting. 20.8 MPG average and a whining rear differential
post #77 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 09:58 AM

I intend to alternate between 89 & 93 grade to keep the hesitation under control.
I heard you! 91 or higher ain't cheap and I'm glad gas prices in Texas is relatively cheap.
Average 93 grade around here (Texas/DFW) is between 2.49 and 2.89 (Costco always has the best prices if you want to wait 10 minutes for your turn).

Debadged stock emblems, Cyclops LED headlights. Husky floor liner. 20% tinted. DIM: Dead foot rest pedal.
post #78 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamloco76 View Post
I learned very quickly that the 87 Octane garbage they sell in my area would not work in my 2015. 89 keeps the chugged to a tolerable level, most of the time, as long as you drive in a moderately aggressive fashion. I recently tried a couple tankfulls of 91 Octane and the chuggle is just about gone. The problem now is with Pennsylvania's ridiculously high gas tax, 91 Octane is $3.05 a gallon, 89 is $2.89 and the craptastic 87 averages $2.70. My truck is gettig worse mileage on 91 too.
Amen to that! I refuse to put 91 in it. I did bump it up to 89 this last tank. And with the Pedal Commander - made the pedal easier to press. My foot and legs are happier and my driving has become a little spunky. :)
The chuggle has been reduced....
I'm just curious - in 3 months - how the transmission will adapt to all this. ??

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s
post #79 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 10:22 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Amen to that! I refuse to put 91 in it. I did bump it up to 89 this last tank. And with the Pedal Commander - made the pedal easier to press. My foot and legs are happier and my driving has become a little spunky. :)
The chuggle has been reduced....
I'm just curious - in 3 months - how the transmission will adapt to all this. ??
I dont think the trans will revert back to the chuggle. I have always used 89 or 91 octane and to this day I have no idea what this chuggle is that so many people talk about on here.

2016 Colorado LT CC SB V6 2WD
post #80 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

So just an update, I went from 93 to 89 out of curiosity. I should have not filled up the whole tank since about 30 miles in and I ran into the chuggle again. It does it in high gear 40 MPH. I did not miss the feeling. I guess it is not as bad as with 87 but it's there and I don't like it.

I read it in one of the treads that it also has to do with the torque management, disabling it should fix the issue. I plugged in my Diablosport intune and went to modify tune looking for the torque management setting. When I found it, lo and behold it was already disabled (it's called up-shift torque management). That fix goes out the window for me...I also noticed that the low end power is less then with 93 which is expected I think. I guess I'll have to feed my truck with the expensive stuff...

Did any of you experiment with disabling the torque management and got better results?

Edit: I do have the BNR ECM and TCM tune, I think they disable torque management in their tunes.

Last edited by agsy; 05-22-2017 at 06:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode