Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

RIPP Supercharged 2015 Canyon

4K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  RIPP Superchargers 
#1 · (Edited)
So I've had my kit finished since January but I've been trying to work out an issue and going back and forth with RIPP on the phone/e-mail isn't the greatest.

They've been a lot of help but I can't figure it out. I'm more than likely going to be dropping the truck off in NY for them but for now here it goes....

Truck drives fine and pulls hard all the way through.

Two days after install was complete I threw lean codes for both banks......a day later they were gone on their own.
A week later the same codes are back. I hook up the I2 and start up the data logger and see that the LTFT for both banks is in the 35-40% range. (That's insane) Mind you this is only as idle or driving with nearly no load. My first thought along with RIPP and any automotive folks I spoke with was a vacuum leak.

Before I dug around in the engine I hooked up my AEM boost gauge only to see that its 22-24 at idle which is good.

Long story short I haven't figured out anything really.

1. Truck pulls hard
2. When I disconnect the vacuum line from the back of the valve cover and plug it the LTFT gets down to 25ish% which is still bad so maybe I have a leak in my valve cover?

I really don't want to pay to ship it to NY but if I need to I guess I will.

I took everything apart and redid it twice with no luck.

I've also spoken with 2 other members with the kit and all is well for them.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
s54e46,

Still working out the bugs with my install and I feel your pain. When you last spoke with RIPP, did they mention an upcoming, revised tune? I heard from one of the installers they told him to hold off on his install until the revision came out. I believe he's done his install now.
Did you get a post-install dyno run yet? Maybe take it there where you can get some pulls and have the technician check the installed tune.
One thing I checked on my own was doing a boost leak test. Man, I'll tell, you - pulling that front clip off again for a boost leak was no fun. My truck was surging, loping idle and not acting right until I got everything in the boost lines tight. My hose from the "D" pipe to the PCV valve "T" kept falling off. Put a small hose clamp on both ends and that fixed that.
Hang in there . . .

G
#4 ·
Have you done a smoke test on the system to rule out leaks?
If you haven't already, email our tech dept tech@rippmods.com so we can help you troubleshoot the issue.

s54e46,

Still working out the bugs with my install and I feel your pain. When you last spoke with RIPP, did they mention an upcoming, revised tune? I heard from one of the installers they told him to hold off on his install until the revision came out. I believe he's done his install now.
Did you get a post-install dyno run yet? Maybe take it there where you can get some pulls and have the technician check the installed tune.
One thing I checked on my own was doing a boost leak test. Man, I'll tell, you - pulling that front clip off again for a boost leak was no fun. My truck was surging, loping idle and not acting right until I got everything in the boost lines tight. My hose from the "D" pipe to the PCV valve "T" kept falling off. Put a small hose clamp on both ends and that fixed that.
Hang in there . . .
That is correct, there is some tune updates coming within the next week or so. We're finalizing any variances on our in house Colorado and making sure the tune is solid.

#5 ·
Kinda on the same topic with issues with the RIPP kit,

My truck has been running great with hardly any issues. Every once in a while I get a check engine light but I check it every time and its just throwing a code for the shutter system rigging that I apparently didn't do correctly. I just clear the code when I see it. Not a big problem but just annoying when the code comes up. (I will probably try to take it apart and redo that rigging to prevent that from happening soon)

My issue is that I just went to go get the truck inspected for its state inspection (TX) and it failed the emissions test. They said the O2 sensor wasn't responding, and they told me this often happens after clearing codes when a check engine light appears. Do ya'll have any suggestions on trying to reset something to be able to pass my inspection?

#7 ·
Kinda on the same topic with issues with the RIPP kit,

My issue is that I just went to go get the truck inspected for its state inspection (TX) and it failed the emissions test. They said the O2 sensor wasn't responding, and they told me this often happens after clearing codes when a check engine light appears. Do ya'll have any suggestions on trying to reset something to be able to pass my inspection?

My experience in MD is to drive it a day or two after clearing the codes before getting emissions test. Hasn't happened to me yet on the truck, first test is due this July, but wife's '98 Corolla used to have the light come on randomly (think it was due to gas cap issue).

#6 · (Edited)
Matt,
Just an update on the tune for my truck:
I worked with James (Supermodulation) last night and he helped me with my tune. Speaking with him on the phone and using an HP Tuner set-up, he was able to show me the parameters of my current RIPP tune with the Diablo tuner (we got with the kit). He patiently walked me through the new tune I currently have installed in the truck. Extremely knowledgeable individual - knows his stuff with tuning. Man, what a difference! We called it the "RIPP tune, Revision 2." I saw how my truck was literally starving for gas at times and that may have been causing the surging and rough idle. Also addressed some "ghost codes" and random cel's that might appear.
If you get a chance, get in touch with James (he's a very busy guy), because it will be time and money well spent, if you want to see what your truck is capable of power-wise. Off to the dyno at the end of May . . .
Keep in touch.
Jim

#8 ·
Just found this on 2 other posts......

Bulletin #16-NA-284: Rough idle and/or stalling when sitting at a stop.( Sep 6, 2016)

Condition: Some customers may comment on rough idle and/or stall when sitting at a stop.

Cause: This condition may be caused by a fuel trim value not being reset after an intrusive evap purge test causing a temporary lean condition.

Correction: Reprogram the engine control module with the latest calibration available on TIS2WEB2810075 Engine Control Module Reprogramming with SPS Effective Date: Dec 1, 2016

Condition I stated: Vehicle intermittently has stalled on me. Last two times it happened at red lights when sitting for 30-45 seconds and started sputtering. I went to accelerate and the vehicle moved about a foot and shut off in traffic.

What they told me: The tech scanned for codes, no ECM codes found. Test drove vehicle and noticed purge solenoid valve extremely loud (clicking) and long term fuel trims at 24% at idle. Found excessive vacuum within fuel system at idle. Close to -1.00 inches. Tested circuit to valve. Circuit OK. Purge valve internally failing causing vacuum leak which causes random stalling. Also found gm bulletin #16-NA-284 stating there is a new software update to correct temporary lean condition after purge valve test. Replaced purge solenoid and noticed clicking noise gone and fuel trims went down to spec. Also updated ECM with latest software as described in bulletine #16-NA-284. Warranty code #S0334 and #FD812.

Sounds like my issue, RIPP what do you think? How do I take this to the dealership without them freaking out because of the S/C? Disconnect outlet of S/C and load stocktune? lol

G
#9 ·
Just found this on 2 other posts......

Sounds like my issue, RIPP what do you think? How do I take this to the dealership without them freaking out because of the S/C? Disconnect outlet of S/C and load stocktune? lol
Send us a private message with your information and email, we have a couple of solutions to work through on your kit :smile2:. The lean codes are due to off throttle trims that are causing the codes. Not wide open throttle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.