Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuel gauge and related WEIRD stuff!

11K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  AZDieselGuy 
#1 ·
I did a search for fuel gauge issues and found some old stuff so thought I'd update that and add to this topic;

Mine is a new 2017 Canyon (below). Absolutely love the truck. I bought it on vacation in Florida, did a 500 mile "wear in" according to the Owner's Manual, then returned home adding another 500 miles. Since day 1 the fuel gauge does not work.....it reads full 99.5% of the time. Even after driving 225 miles the gauge does not budge off of full. I took it to the dealer, he said the float appears to be electrically free and indicates the tank is 99% full (I had about 180 miles since a full up at the time). The Range on the DIC info panel shows a range around 590 miles plus or minus, depending on the average MPG - I have seen 600 miles when I've been driving slowly on the highway, and around 550 miles when I've been driving in traffic. The gauge needle is not stuck; it goes through its normal empty to full to full when I start the truck.

Driving home my fuel gauge suddenly went to Empty...stayed there without any low fuel warning, etc until my next fill up. Then it went back to full and stayed there.

I also have difficulty filling the fuel tank. I can only put in about a third of a gallon before the gas station's nozzle does the auto shut off. This happens at all fuel stations I've used so far. So it takes me a LONG time to put in the gas. I have been filling the tank after 200 miles using the Trip A in the Info screen. My average MPG is excellent BTW, I was (Trip A indication) averaging 29.1 MPG over about 450 highway miles with speeds between 60-72 MPH. After the truck accumulates another 2-3k miles I might manually calculate the MPG, but at this point I don't really care.......<g>)

Any suggestions on the fuel gauge? I go to the dealer ASAP this week now I'm home again.

See less See more
#2 ·
This one is a one off issue, and going to the dealer is the best course of action. Haven't seen this one before. I'll wager the filling issue is related to the always full reading. Good luck.

#3 ·
It sounds like there is something preventing the gas to flow adequately when you're filling up. The fill nozzle shuts off the flow if there is even a slight stricture of some sort if you're pumping on full power. I am sure that if you only pull the "trigger" half way, it wouldn't shut off. Very strange behavior BTW.

#4 ·
Oh trust me, I have the fuel trigger only maybe 10%; otherwise it will pump even less...maybe .1 gallon.

Yep, truck is going to the dealer this week once I get a minute. Oddly enough, this is the only issue; well, the fuel filler issue and of course the tank reading full 99% of the time, and empty the other 1% of the time.

#5 ·
5/13/2017 Update: Took the truck to the local dealer earlier this week. Day one he could find nothing wrong with the fuel gauge or its electronics. They next day they let it idle in the shop for about 90 minutes - fuel gauge started working, showed about 3/4th of a tank. For the first several days after purchase and the day I took it too the shop the gauge always read Full. I figured when I took it to the shop it had burned about 100 miles from my last (slow; read above) fill up. They filled the tank and told me the issue where it would only take a half gallon before the nozzle would auto-shut off was also gone. A miracle?

Today I hope to drive the truck enough to burn off several gallons of fuel. If I don't post here again saying otherwise, the problem is over.....I can't say solved because nobody did anything to solve it! Thank goodness this is the only issue I've had with my truck that now has about 1150 miles on it. Very pleased with it...........................

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.