Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

'Service Stabilitrak' refuses to be fixed.

67K views 58 replies 29 participants last post by  Beadblaster 
#1 · (Edited)
I bought this truck three months ago with 32000 miles. On the way home, the Stabilitrak light comes on. I figured since there was a crap ton of snow, it must've been that. I called the dealer who sold it to me and they confirmed that. I also scheduled an appointment to have it fixed at my local dealer. They replaced my electronic brake control module and kept it for a couple days. Later that week, it pops back on again. I take it in again, they have no idea what to do other than put so dielectric grease on some electrical ends, thinking it's a short. It comes on whenever I start the truck the truck, or whenever I'm just about the park it. I do not hammer this truck, it's the nicest vehicle I've ever had so I want to last.

Fastforward two months and 3000 miles, it's back on again, so it's back at the dealer.. Onstar told me it's throwing a u0077 code. Can't find much information on it other than Stabilitrak and anti lock brake related. The warranty is still active til 48000 miles, but I can't keep dropping my truck off. I'm a full time nursing student with a full time job, I need this vehicle. Any idea what to do or where to point the techs to if they can't figure it out this time? I'm about to call up GM and throw a fit and get them to give me a huge discount on an extended warranty cause I'm nervous these problems will keep coming up..

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
#3 ·
A little, yes. It looks like they tested the voltage on the EBCM, no problems. It says that there could be an open wire on the driver's side step panel, so I'll give that a look if they don't find it.

They also checked the ohm wires and checked the pin tensions which were fine as well.

#4 ·
i had stabilatrac and traction control warnings and truck went into limp mode about a month ago turned out to be a bad gas pedal sensor...hasn't happened since it was fixed...manager told me a lot of chevy vehicles having the same problem...maybe they can check on that

#5 ·
Based on the OP's initial post, my first thought is the techs are not exercising due diligence to track down the root cause of the issue.

#6 ·
Quick update, it seems ssgjurista is probably right. They gave me a loaner vehicle so they can hunt down the issue. I bet they figured since it's the third time it's in for the same issue, they could get in a little trouble if they can't hunt it down or do something substantial. It just seems like there are far too many problems it could be for that specific code.

#7 ·
I've got a 2016 V6 Canyon with 31,000 miles and today while sitting at a traffic light the truck acted like it was going to stall out. When I put it in neutral and goosed the gas it straightened out as best as it's been lately (have been experiencing major shutter with the transmission not shifting down when accelerating from 40mph and 1,000 rpm) By the time the episode was over, which only lasted a few seconds I noticed that my Stabilitrax, Traction Control and Check Engine lights were on. A short time later the Check Engine light went off... the others stayed on until I shut the engine off and restarted.

Now I'm thinking I need to stop at the dealer tomorrow and report the incident just to have it on record since my warranty is only going to last another few months.
Should I be worried that I'm headed for major headaches? I really love this truck and will most likely get the Trifacta tuner at the end of the year to see if it will improve the trucks few flaws in performance.

FYI - I've already had the dealer do the Aug 2016 update to the control modules that is intended to solve a low speed shutter, which did help some but not totally.

Reactions: Dyllywylly
#8 ·
Definitely take it to the dealer Billa, especially if it's still under warranty. Thats what started me on this horrible path.

Dealer called again today, said they were in contact with GM Electrical Assistance because they had no idea how to replicate the codes they were getting. They think it could be they replaced my bad electronic brake control module with another bad electronic brake control module. Definitely not getting it back for another few days.

#9 ·
I ended up replacing both wheel speed sensors to fix my consistent Stabilitrak issues. Dealer wanted $100 just to "diagnose it"... but the wheel speed sensors only ended up being $40 for both. Zero issues since the fix!

Reactions: JimChevy15
#12 ·
Hmm okay interesting. Mine is like that too, below 5 mph.

Quick update. They said they installed a faulty electronic brake control module and they are replacing. If that's what it is, I can close this stupid case and hopefully help someone else.

#25 ·
I had this same issue around 1k miles. Mine never went into limp mode and steering was never tough. It would usually come on when I turned the wheel backing out of the driveway and stay on the rest of the drive. It took two trips to a dealer but they found an intermittent short in the wires. I will look after work today and see if they put exactly what wires were shorted. Once they fixed that I have yet to see another message over 4k miles later. I will write back later today.

#14 ·
Hey, I'm a newby, found this forum as I too have experienced this problem. 2016 GMC Canyon, 2.8l Duramax, 4WD. Bought it used on 4/5/17, 21,000 miles drove it home from ATX got 28mpg! Towed RV to San Antonio, no problems 13.5 mpg in "Tow Mode" ! This issue started Tuesday night, "Service Stabilitrak" rough shifting and lack of power. Have appointment at local dealer. Any danger in driving till next week? Really need the transportation :(

#15 ·
When I got a Service Stabiltrak message, it was accompanied by a Power Steering failure that made steering extremely difficult, very dangerous. I assume you are not seeing that issue.

#16 ·
No I saw the message warning about steering but never experienced it. Got the message at least ten time in 3 days. Drove in rain Saturday and Sunday no message, so we dropped off at local GMC dealer last night for appointment today as we both work at 0700. Got the call at 1300, no problems, no codes stored, two test drives, must have been the rain, WTF! I'll have my bluetooth code reader ready for next time !

#17 ·
Drove about 15 miles after picking up from dealer and got the message again at a stop sign, followed by "Service Trailer Brake" , geeze! Snapped pic and texted to service rep. Taking it back tomorrow ....

#18 ·
So picked it back up from Dealer Friday, won't act-up for tech. Drove home and then left later and it gave me the warning and also shifts rough. Paired my just received 25 buck code reader to android app Saturday morning. It came back with a "Pending" Code P2544 ! Googled it and describes to a tee what I'm experiencing. I "shared" the result with the service greeter, waiting on his response as there is no code saved to date.

#19 · (Edited)
JimChevy,

I am having similar issues. I purchased a 2015 Canyon All Terrain 3 months ago, 30,000 miles. After having the truck in 4WD Lo I immediately began getting Stabilitrack and other warnings. The truck has been with my dealer all day and I am waiting to for an update from them. After researching today, these issues appear to be a too common of an issue.

Hopefully we each will be able to report back with positive resolutions to these issues.

ETA: I just received a phone call and was told the dealership suspects a loose connection. Said they need to keep it another day so they can disassemble the dash to get to the connection. Does this pass the smell test to those of you who are knowledgeable about service/repairs?

#21 ·
I'm still getting the service stabilitrak, and power steering reduced power light once or twice a day, usually when accelerating from stop but no codes are stored. tired of seeing it but dealer won't do anything without a code....

#22 ·
Hrrmm,

So I just bought a 2015 Colorado 2wd V6. While driving today around 40mph or so and light loads I got what to me seemed to be the transmission shudder issue. It was pretty bad, and almost a bit scary that the truck might just not be able to get going under its own power. Service engine light came on, and service stabilitrac message came up.

But with most of the reading I've read on the "chuggle" transmission issue, I don't recall reading about others getting the dash lights. Now wondering if the truck has a different issue? Really disappointing on a truck I literally just bought.

#23 ·
I had a similar issue, clean moved under truck and found the wire harness that goes into a stabilitrack controller box. The harness leaves box and a bad angle and can hang below the frame. After banging into snow and gravel it started to break wires right at the clip for the box.
Under drivers seat about 10" in from frame.

#26 ·
So I posted this in another thread also, but starting to think this stabilitrack issue I had might be related to my other issue.

The other issue is that when my truck is hot/warm, it is hard to start. Almost like its not getting fuel, or some electrical connection is not working well...or something like that. The truck will crank for several seconds before starting. When cool, its fine.

I wonder if whatever is causing that, could have caused the bucking/missing issue I described above. When it happened I immediately felt like it was probably the transmission chuggle issue, but this seemed worse, and the fact that dash lights came on seems to say its not the same.

#28 ·
I'm experiencing this for the first time (have an early production 15). Thought the vehicle was gonna' die on the street, shut it off, and it went away. Today, just felt it act up again backing out of the drive way........ my wife is gonna freak if it does it on her! ! Anyone have any updates?
tia
mike :frown2:

#31 ·
P2544

Some days no service light, some days many, like Saturday, short trip to mickey d's for breakfast. Service Stabilitrak, reduced steering assist, service trailer brake controller. Got home and plugged in my reader and got "pending code"P2544 Torque Management Request Input Signal A" Sunday no occurrence, two on way to work this morning! My reader lets me share to dealer service rep, he has yet to respond....

#32 ·
"SERVICE STABILITRAK" "SERVICE TRAILER BRAKE" "REDUCED STEERING ASSIST" got to the point it appeared often enough to take back in and dealer says " Looks like Gm has a cure for your Truck. They release an update for your ECM to cure your torque management codes. Update has been installed and test drive was successful. Your vehicle is ready to be picked up whenever you are. Oh there is a pending customer satisfaction update for your owners manual. Gm will be sending you a new page to update the information on your trailer brake control for your manual"

So we shall see ...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.