Goes Dumb with Check Engine Light - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Goes Dumb with Check Engine Light

On my way home from the dealer, with my newly purchased 2017 CCSB Z71 Duramax, 60 miles on the odometer, the check engine light came on. As it turns out, the code is P11CC and I believe it is #1 NOx sensor, low voltage. Went directly to the closest Chevy service, they checked it out and have ordered a sensor, installing it later this week. (What is their parts department for? Is my truck the only one that ever needed a sensor, and they are unique to this model?)

Anyway, I have noticed that the remote engine start and tow/haul mode no longer work. I don't know what else has been crippled by the check engine light, if anything.

I'll update the status of these items after the sensor is replaced.

My avatar is a purple ribbon because I am a survivor of Pancreatic Cancer.
2017 Colorado Z71 CCSB Duramax, Bose, Nav, Spray Bed Liner, Wheel Flairs, Trailering Eqpt Pkg, Tonneau Cover.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 08:56 AM

I had the same issue. They replaced the sensor, the wiring harness, and the culprit was the driver's side rear ground on the frame. The powder coat was scraped to get a better connection. Since the repair, it has been flawless. Only took them about 4 weeks to find the solution.

And yes, it is an emission fault so remote start didn't work and fuel mileage was bad.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by inspector1999 View Post
I had the same issue. They replaced the sensor, the wiring harness, and the culprit was the driver's side rear ground on the frame. The powder coat was scraped to get a better connection. Since the repair, it has been flawless. Only took them about 4 weeks to find the solution.

And yes, it is an emission fault so remote start didn't work and fuel mileage was bad.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Thanks for the input, I hope it doesn't go that way for me, I am leaving for Utah (from Tennessee) in just 10 days. I'll see if the tech is open to outside information. (I may try to find and check the ground beforehand.)

My avatar is a purple ribbon because I am a survivor of Pancreatic Cancer.
2017 Colorado Z71 CCSB Duramax, Bose, Nav, Spray Bed Liner, Wheel Flairs, Trailering Eqpt Pkg, Tonneau Cover.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDiesel View Post
On my way home from the dealer, with my newly purchased 2017 CCSB Z71 Duramax, 60 miles on the odometer, the check engine light came on. As it turns out, the code is P11CC and I believe it is #1 NOx sensor, low voltage. Went directly to the closest Chevy service, they checked it out and have ordered a sensor, installing it later this week. (What is their parts department for? Is my truck the only one that ever needed a sensor, and they are unique to this model?)

Anyway, I have noticed that the remote engine start and tow/haul mode no longer work. I don't know what else has been crippled by the check engine light, if anything.

I'll update the status of these items after the sensor is replaced.
A lot of "automatic" functions are disabled when the CEL is illuminated, so the remote start issue is not a surprise. I can see the TOW/HAUL can also be an issue. Your truck is in sort of a LIMP mode.

Yes, the sensor is probably unique to this model. Right now, this engine is only in the Twins and the number of diesels sold is pretty small. At 25K miles on my truck, about 18 months after the release of the 2nd Gen, my GMC dealer still was not stocking the engine or cabin air filters. Cabin air filter was on all Twins, the engine air filter was at least on all V6s. Volume of V6 trucks versus diesel since the diesel was released on the Twins is probably 9 to 1 roughly.

I recognize that you did the right thing, took it to closest dealer. I suspect the dealer who sold you the truck would have put you in a loaner, and I would have expected even a different dealer servicing a brand new truck should have done the same thing.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode