Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

Muffler and/or resonator delete/replacement?

11K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  spoonman 
#1 ·
**admins/mods please move if in wrong section**

I tried searching and apparently this isn't a hot topic around here. I found one thread and there wasn't any good info on it but it was a year or two old.

SO....I like the way the 3.6 sounds on the zr2 but it could use a bit more volume. I also know from past experience that it's hard to gain volume without having rasp. I don't want rasp.

I heard that the gmpp system sounds good but I don't want to spend that much.

Does anyone have a sound clip of a muffler/resonator delete or replacement? Or at least some real world experience with it?

Thanks all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 ·
I have the 3.6 with my z71 and I added the GMPP exhaust, and I think it really adds to the volume of sound that the engine makes, in a good way. Unfortunately I don't have a sound clip on me, but from my experience, its great. Adds a better deep growl over the stock exhaust and the best part... No droning. when your cruising you cant hear it unless you put more effort into your right foot. So far it made the truck better imho.. Best part, (at least for me) I installed it my self took a little longer to install than the dealer im sure (5 hours with no automotive experience vs 30 mins trained technicians) but its actually rather easy to install, and saved about 100 for doing it myself

Reactions: Twenrick32
#3 ·
I love the sound of that system but not the price!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
I also was looking into exhausts/muffler deletes of some sort. I love the GMPP but it's quite expensive. I'm heavily considering the Corsa db system; seems very similar to the GMPP at a fraction of the cost. There's a video on YouTube but it's of the louder system with the twin exits. People with either systems seem to be complaint-free regarding drone or rasp.

#6 ·
Word on the street is that the GM exhaust is actually from Corsa. Borla would also be a good option (they have sound clips). Don't go with the MBRP though... it's a bit loud and drones a bit... I like it though >:)

#8 ·
I went a Magnaflow with one inlet and two outlets with pipes twice with one on both sides. It is a lot cheaper to find a good muffler shop and have them do it for you. You can pick what muffler you want and they run the pipes however you want them and you can save a lot of money. In 2004 when I bought my Silverado I told the guy at the muffler shop wanted a little tone, not too loud he put a three baffle Flowmaster with two tailpipes. Thirteen years and two hundred thousand miles later the exhaust is still in great shape. So when I bought my Colorado it was a no brainer I went back to the same muffler shop to get my exhaust done. Again I told him what I wanted and I went with his recommendation. This shop has a policy that after 30 days they will replace the muffler no charge only the difference in the cost of the muffler if any if you don't how it sounds. My dual exhaust was three hundred installed plus tips. He had my tips custom powder coated for 65.00 each. If you just want a single Exhaust you can have a shop install the muffler of your choice and make you a resonator delete pipe for about 150.00.

Reactions: G2SKIER
#9 ·
If I remember right my JBA system didnt have a rasp.

But I put my KnN intake back on like 2 days after installing the JBA so I dont remember how it sounds without it since the intake adds a large amount of sound.

Reactions: G2SKIER
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.