Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

Detroit News says diesel to cost $3730 more than V6

199K views 1K replies 123 participants last post by  CC1999 
#1 ·
The article is here. It says the diesel will be available this fall and cost $3730 more than a equivalent V6. Hopefully more info including mileage comes out soon!

I've been waiting for the details on the diesel before I decide on a new truck. Now do i wait and see if GM will eventually put the 8 speed in the diesel colorado? :smile2:

#3 ·
Interesting but adds way to much to the sticker for me, couldn't have bought the high optioned truck I did. I'm content with my V6. Nice though to finally have some decent information on it, especially now that I can say I made the right choice for myself.

Thanks!

#4 ·
My comment here: http://coloradofans.com/forums/2824674-post67.html

They are a market 1st in the USA. I think they will charge top dollars, and to be honest, they will sell at the premium price point... since they are only releasing 24k per year or 2k per month based on yearly production rates.
Is pretty much spot on.. 4k is a PREMIUM.

#8 · (Edited)
The fact that it includes the tow package, brake controller, and I assume locking differential probably slides the real costs of the diesel upgrade back to a $3K price range.

While I am happy with my decision and do not think I made a mistake with the V6, I think most of the diesel fans should be fairly happy with this upgrade price if that price for the upgrade includes the options aforementioned.

I wonder if the diesel is going to have an increased payload to allow the truck to take advantage of the increased tow capacity. Assuming a 10% tongue weight, at 7,700 pounds you have eaten up over half of your payload. Increase tongue weight to 15%, and one fat driver like myself will round out your payload.

What do the enthusiast think of the 3.42 ratio for the diesel?

Reactions: 16WhiteColly
#16 ·
The fact that it includes the tow package, brake controller, and I assume locking differential probably slides the real costs of the diesel upgrade back to a $3K price range.

While I am happy with my decision and do not think I made a mistake with the V6, I think most of the diesel fans should be fairly happy with this upgrade price if that price for the upgrade includes the options aforementioned.

I wonder if the diesel is going to have an increased payload to allow the truck to take advantage of the increased tow capacity. Assuming a 10% tongue weight, at 7,700 pounds you have eaten up over half of your payload. Increase tongue weight to 15%, and one fat driver like myself will round out your payload.

What do the enthusiast think of the 3.42 ratio for the diesel?
I don't think that is the way it works. They stated that it is $3730 over the cost of a comparably equipped 3.6, which means that options like the towing package, g80 locker, and whatever else that are "standard" on the diesel must have been added to comparably equipped 3.6 - still a $3730 difference, not $3000 or so.

When we bought our 2011 Traverse with the tow package, it "included" the spare tire (just a donut, not a full size, but better than a can flat-fix which is standard), but it forced the "spare tire option" on the sticker/order sheet. Certain options (like the diesel, here) force other things to be "standard" or included. That doesn't mean you get them for "free".

I think the 3.42 diff should be perfect for the diesel, and was probably done to get the mpg's as high as possible while allowing for the 7700 lbs towing.

#10 ·
I thought I was going to wait for the diesel, but when I test drove the Canyon, I bought it on the spot. Now I'm sure I made the right choice because I don't think I could afford the extra for the diesel. I'm about at my limit as to what I can afford.

Reactions: Arctic Cat ZRT
#11 ·
This post has been deleted
#14 ·
Statement made by GM

DETROIT -- The diesel-powered Chevrolet Colorado will be priced from about $31,700 to $38,700, including destination charge, when it debuts this fall.

Chevy will offer the 2.8-liter Duramax diesel in mid- and upper-trim LT and Z71 crew cab models, in both two-wheel-drive and four-wheel-drive configurations, General Motors said today. The diesels will be offered at a $3,730 premium to those models equipped with a 3.6-liter V-6 engine.

Chevy executives believe the diesel offering will give the Colorado an edge on the Toyota Tacoma, the top-selling midsize pickup, with 88,801 units sold in the first half of the year, more than double that of the Colorado (41,575).

They also hope it's an answer to the Ram 1500 Eco Diesel, the only fullsize pickup with an oil burner. Chevy engineers have said they expect the diesel Colorado's fuel economy rating to surpass 30 mpg in highway driving, which would eclipse the diesel Ram's 29 mpg rating.

The Colorado’s 2.8-liter diesel will generate 181 horsepower and 369 pounds-feet of torque. It will have a towing capacity of 7,700 pounds, up from 7,000 for the 3.6-liter V-6, GM said in a statement.

Along with greater capability and efficiency, it expands the Colorado lineup to give customers more choices and the capability of exploring more possibilities on and off the road, Sandor Piszar, director of Chevrolet truck marketing, said in the statement.

AutoPacific Inc. analyst Dave Sullivan said the diesel Colorado should offer truck buyers a good value by hitting two important numbers: A crew cab pickup that gets 30 mph highway or better for less than $40,000. By offering the diesel only on higher-contented crew cab models, Sullivan says GM is betting that there is pent-up demand for a midsize diesel truck.

GM spokesman Otie McKinley said Chevy would consider offering the diesel engine on lower trim packages if consumer demand warrants it.

The GMC Canyon will get the same engine. The price will range from about $33,200 on an SLE 4X2 crew cab with a 5-foot bed to about $41,900 for a top-trim SLT 4X4 with a 6-foot bed, GMC said in a statement.

The all-new 2.8-liter engine, which is made in Thailand, will be paired with a six-speed automatic transmission that features a vibration-absorbing system to dampen noise.

The diesel Colorado will include an exhaust-braking system, which enhances control and prevents brake wear on steep downhill descents.
another thread merged

#20 ·
In the article I read off of Chevy's facebook today they had designed the Colorado with the idea of putting the diesel into it, so it is already ready to go. Suspension and transmission will stay the same.

#19 ·
Sun,

Locking diff is only a $325 option on the current 2nd gens and trailer package is $250. (To me, these options are so cheap that I wouldn't order a V6 or now a diesel twin without them.)

Make that adjustment and you get back closer to the $3K range.

Listening to your discussion of the gear ratios, I am thinking the diesel version of this truck may be begging for the 8 speed, and with that, the 34 MPG may be very attainable on highway.

#23 ·
Marcus,

You made one mistake, there is no GAS savings with a diesel, but there could be a FUEL savings. >:)

Also, your calculations do not include a higher resale value for the diesel. However, the maintenance on the diesel may be higher, depending on who you talk to, so could be a wash there.

I do think that for someone who tows toward the max end of the rating, the cost associated with an aggravation or frustration factor cannot be fully calculated in your cost analysis.

My big thing is that I think GM needs to give the diesel a little bit higher payload, thus pushing the payload closer to the FS territory of today.

#26 ·
I can't wait for these things to hit the road, if they can pull real world 26mpg I'll be doubling my current real world MPG with my Nissan Frontier, and I'll be able to fill up occasionally for free using the diesel vessel at the shop. Even with the $4k premium it's still going to be well worth it for me to trade my frontier in for one of these.

#27 ·
If you check the RPO listing from the 2016 upfitter guides posted on 7/26, you'll see there is no RPO code listed this year for the Denali. The frame, suspension and payload all remain the same for the Diesel as it does for the gas.

Also, the towing capacity has been available for a long time if you look at the Global Colorado with the same engine, it has just been tuned for U.S. emissions (losing a few HP) but the tow rating hasn't changed.

#31 ·
The global Colorado is actually on a lighter duty frame and axles though. Thing about most Global trucks is how they calculate the payload and towing. In America manufacturers calculate payload and towing based on the idea of someone driving the vehicle at 70mph: in the global market its generally 40mph. In the UK you cannot even drive a vehicle that is towing more than 1000lbs beyond 40mph without a written examination.

That's how a global Subaru outback is rated to tow 5000lbs and here it is, with the very same mechanical structure, rated to tow 2700lbs.

I've actually seen the Global truck: the axles aren't as beefy as ours and the frame is C Channel. Here we have a boxed frame based on the Silverado platform and we actually have a slightly larger rear axle carrier. I'm still entirely mystified by what the front end diff is in the US: globally it is an AAM piece.

#32 ·
The fuel savings argument can go on forever. We can't predict what commodities traders, Iran, the next POTUS, etc.. will even do. 4 years ago it seemed like $5-8/ gallon gas was a sure thing. Now the Iranians are about to release massive amounts of stored oil on the market and lower prices even more.

One thing I take from experience is that in the real world diesels do about 35%-40% better mpg than their gasser equivalent. It's a bit less on the highway.

Usually diesel costs more than RUG, equivalent to premium unleaded usually. Obviously the higher fuel prices, the more your savings. 40% savings on $4 fuel is more than 40% savings on $2 fuel after-all.

Resale can be notably higher on a diesel. As long as the depreciation rate is about the same between the gasser and the diesel, you can still expect to get 50%+ of the diesel option price back. It's usually more however.

You have to enjoy diesels for their other attributes such as, excellent towing capabilities, long fill intervals while shooting the finger at the oil producers, clean emissions (cleaner than gassers now), the satisfying grunt of low end torque. Otherwise, it might not pencil out.

I will give you an example however of what a modern diesel can do. My wife's tuned Grand Cherokee Eco-D averages a real world 28 mpg mostly in town but driven nicely. The V6 gasser option is a dog. The Hemi gets about 12-14 mpg, or half the mpg we get with less torque than we have. That's a 5400# vehicle! The only thing my wife cares about is being able to drive 700+ miles on a single $45 fill up. That number alone makes the diesel worth it to her as planning a fueling stop is almost painful to her.

#34 ·
The filters are not insane, are warrantied for 100K miles per EPA law, and can be cleaned for a couple of hundred bucks and also deleted if need be. Delete kits are currently available for the Eco-D for less than $1K, hardware and all.

DEF is practically a non-cost to me. I'm using about 2 gallons per 5K miles on my Eco-D (post tune). My programmer could have made it zero use but then the system becomes non-functional if you ever need it again.

I know that many people feel that if you can buy 20% more metal, 20% more interior volume, 20% more physical truck for near the same cost that you should. But like Cary manuevability, parking, mpg, etc..a are just too critical of concerns for me to even want a FS truck, at any cost. I can still have a nice lifted truck and get 20+ mpg, be able to load the thing and park the thing easily. I'm in!

Reactions: evoxse
#36 ·
So under contacts @ this link is a dude named Brian GMC Canyon Expands Capability with New Duramax Diesel

So I sent him a quick email:
Q:I'm not sure if i missed any prior news headlines but can you comment if the diesel will be available on long box or short box setups?
A:It will be available in both bed lengths. Thanks

Here is to hoping diesel available in both bed lengths!

#40 ·
Disappointed in the engine options for this truck so far, really pumped to start seeing numbers role out for this engine. Also pumped about what a tune and some performance modifications will do. As mentioned, higher resale, quite a bit better fuel mileage, higher towing capacity, etc. Just waiting for them to start throwing them into the extended cab. :)

You think this premium is high, the 6.6 Duramax in the HD's is an $8495 premium! :eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.