LIFTED Colorado/Canyons - Page 54 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 833Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1061 of 1084 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 11:25 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaceret View Post
So you aren't able to leave the rear stock shocks on with this lift without installing shock extenders?
I had read on multiple sites if you go over 2" in the rear then you should install longer shocks. Fully extended, the MaxTrac shocks were 4" longer than the stock shocks. With the extenders that took the difference down to 2". I was fine with a 2" difference but 4" had me a little worried on constantly bottoming out the shock. My Canyon is primarily for street use with occasional dirt roads when I go out to my dad's ranch. I have another vehicle when I'm going to do crazy offroading so I wasn't too concerned with having MAX articulation in the canyon.

2016 GMC Canyon SLT Cyber Grey, 4" MaxTrac lift with 2" RC level kit, LED's throughout, Iron Cross steps, Line-X, Stubby Jr, GMC All Weather floor mats, Bull Rings x9, DRL harness, OPT7 LED lows and fogs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1062 of 1084 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 03:11 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoJac963 View Post
I had read on multiple sites if you go over 2" in the rear then you should install longer shocks. Fully extended, the MaxTrac shocks were 4" longer than the stock shocks. With the extenders that took the difference down to 2". I was fine with a 2" difference but 4" had me a little worried on constantly bottoming out the shock. My Canyon is primarily for street use with occasional dirt roads when I go out to my dad's ranch. I have another vehicle when I'm going to do crazy offroading so I wasn't too concerned with having MAX articulation in the canyon.

You shouldn't have a problem bottoming out the shock, only over extending it. But new shocks will put the piston in the right valving position in the shock body.

NEW TRUCK
2015 Colorado Crew Cab Z71 4X4 - Summit White
KN 63 Series intake - LineX - 30" GGLighting LED Bar - Front/Rear Adujustable King Shocks - Bajakits +2.5 4x4 Pre Runner Kit - Method Double Standard Wheels - Falken AT3W 285/70/17 - Deaver Mini Pack inserts

OLD TRUCK
2004 Colorado Crew Cab Z85. I5 2wd
5inch CST lift
LIFTED COLORADO CLUB MEMBER # 123
post #1063 of 1084 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Added shock extenders and reinstalled the stock rear shocks. I cannot believe how much better the ride is. Basically back to stock. I am completely thrilled as I was a little skeptical. Given how the lower shock mounts are, I did have to grind a small section of each shock extender but for another $25 to have a factory soft ride....hell yes!

Box 2 was 900430
2015-Up Colorado/Canyon
3 Rear Box Kit Spacers
Blocks, Shocks, $ U-Bolts

Where did you find compatible shock extenders and do you know if it'll fit on the colorado? I wasn't planning on doing a 4 inch lift on my 2wd but after seeing your rig I'm really thinking of getting the 4inch spindle lift with my eibachs. Your rig looks sweet. Put some bigger tires on that bad boy and it'll look amazing!
tfables likes this.

post #1064 of 1084 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 01:06 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaceret View Post
Where did you find compatible shock extenders and do you know if it'll fit on the colorado? I wasn't planning on doing a 4 inch lift on my 2wd but after seeing your rig I'm really thinking of getting the 4inch spindle lift with my eibachs. Your rig looks sweet. Put some bigger tires on that bad boy and it'll look amazing!
Definitely needs bigger tires now but with only 3k on the odo the tires are still brand new. Eventually I'll throw bigger rubber on the thing but for now I don't think it looks too bad with the stock wheels and the 2" spacers.

The stock extenders I bought from Pep Boys. Here's the link:

https://www.pepboys.com/product/details/1054828/00748

Thanks for the comment also! I find myself enjoying driving the truck so much more now that it stands out a little from the rest. There's a couple lifted Colorados in my area and seeing them really made me pull the trigger. These trucks look so good lifted!

2016 GMC Canyon SLT Cyber Grey, 4" MaxTrac lift with 2" RC level kit, LED's throughout, Iron Cross steps, Line-X, Stubby Jr, GMC All Weather floor mats, Bull Rings x9, DRL harness, OPT7 LED lows and fogs
post #1065 of 1084 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 02:45 AM

Quote:
That's why it's so odd. It technically should be a 6" lift BUT the RC level kit did just that-level the truck. Adding the spindle lifts if what popped the truck up 4". It's especially weird when you compare the components to say the RC lift kits-they numbers are all very similar yet they achieve the lift they advertise. My truck is not nose high at all. If anything it has a tiny rake to it still. I do not plan on removing the level kit as it would have a huge rake which I can't stand. Thanks for the info on the extenders, I'm looking them up now to order a pair!

Here is the link to the MaxTrac store https://maxtracstore.com/lift-block-...eatured&page=2

I think I still have the second box in the recycle bin at home so I'll look at the part number when I get home from work tonight.
I'm still not convinced that that you didn't get 6" of lift total combining the level kit with the spindles. Are you sure you measured the difference from before u had the level kit on? There's no way the spindles only gave an additional 2" of lift. What is your ground to fender measurement right now?
post #1066 of 1084 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 04:21 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwolf79 View Post
I'm still not convinced that that you didn't get 6" of lift total combining the level kit with the spindles. Are you sure you measured the difference from before u had the level kit on? There's no way the spindles only gave an additional 2" of lift. What is your ground to fender measurement right now?
I may have not explained myself completely. When I was saying total lift of 4" on the front, that was only from the MT kit. I was not including the level kit in the measurements as the level kit was previously installed and my measurements back then were from the air dam which has long been removed.

My measurements after the 4" MT kit showed a lift of 4" on the driver side and just under 4.5" on the passenger side (not including the level kit). I believe the level kit put the front up close to 3" if my memory serves me right. That being said, there would be a total of close to 7" of lift in the front BUT 3" of that was simply leveling the truck which in my mind doesn't equal lifting the truck since the front and rear are not going higher if that makes sense. Yes the front is brought up but the overall truck is not higher as in a full suspension lift (spindles and blocks).

The rear with 3" blocks was raised exactly 3.5" on both sides. I measured from the bottom of the wheel per the instructions but I will measure from the level driveway to the fender for you because I've been curious myself what my measurements are compared to a stock truck.

post #1067 of 1084 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 05:45 PM

Quote:
I may have not explained myself completely. When I was saying total lift of 4" on the front, that was only from the MT kit. I was not including the level kit in the measurements as the level kit was previously installed and my measurements back then were from the air dam which has long been removed.

My measurements after the 4" MT kit showed a lift of 4" on the driver side and just under 4.5" on the passenger side (not including the level kit). I believe the level kit put the front up close to 3" if my memory serves me right. That being said, there would be a total of close to 7" of lift in the front BUT 3" of that was simply leveling the truck which in my mind doesn't equal lifting the truck since the front and rear are not going higher if that makes sense. Yes the front is brought up but the overall truck is not higher as in a full suspension lift (spindles and blocks).

The rear with 3" blocks was raised exactly 3.5" on both sides. I measured from the bottom of the wheel per the instructions but I will measure from the level driveway to the fender for you because I've been curious myself what my measurements are compared to a stock truck.
I gotcha, but still, a lift is a lift. 7" up front would be huge. It should be either 5" or 6" total though if you have the RC leveling kit. If you have the strut spacer alone, it's only 1", but if you have the strut spacer combined with the spring compression ring, then it's the 2" kit. Most of those full suspension kits make these trucks look too nose high IMO, so I'm surprised the Maxtrac lift didn't sit level without the leveling kit. I'd be interested to see your front to rear fender measurements because it does look like the rear squats. If you load anything in that bed, it's really gonna sag, especially if you tow. The way the lines on these trucks are designed though, pictures can deceive, so maybe it sits more level than what I'm seeing. With the stock leaf springs, it doesn't take much weight to squat the rear. Here's a couple pics of mine unloaded and loaded with about 500 lbs with my bike and a few things. My truck sits about 1/2" higher in the rear unloaded, and as u can see, with only 500 lbs, it's squatting the rear. Don't look at the lines of the truck or the bed angle, look at the gap between the front and rear tires to the fenders. To each his own though. If you're happy the way your truck sits, that's all that matters.

Last edited by Airwolf79; 05-03-2017 at 05:50 PM.
post #1068 of 1084 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 04:49 PM

Garage
Quote:
I gotcha, but still, a lift is a lift. 7" up front would be huge. It should be either 5" or 6" total though if you have the RC leveling kit. If you have the strut spacer alone, it's only 1", but if you have the strut spacer combined with the spring compression ring, then it's the 2" kit. Most of those full suspension kits make these trucks look too nose high IMO, so I'm surprised the Maxtrac lift didn't sit level without the leveling kit. I'd be interested to see your front to rear fender measurements because it does look like the rear squats. If you load anything in that bed, it's really gonna sag, especially if you tow. The way the lines on these trucks are designed though, pictures can deceive, so maybe it sits more level than what I'm seeing. With the stock leaf springs, it doesn't take much weight to squat the rear. Here's a couple pics of mine unloaded and loaded with about 500 lbs with my bike and a few things. My truck sits about 1/2" higher in the rear unloaded, and as u can see, with only 500 lbs, it's squatting the rear. Don't look at the lines of the truck or the bed angle, look at the gap between the front and rear tires to the fenders. To each his own though. If you're happy the way your truck sits, that's all that matters.
I completely understand what you're saying. I may have measured wrong in my post lift excitement. I'll take measurements tomorrow once I'm finally off work for a few days and post them here. If I did put anything in the bed heavy enough it would definitely squat down but I never tow anything and any larger loads are very rare, mostly small home projects which is why I wanted a completely level unloaded look.
Airwolf79 likes this.

post #1069 of 1084 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 05:50 PM

Not much but so far happy with my progress. I recently added Toyo Open Country A/T ll (265/70/17) along with my RC 2'' Leveling kit..... Next up will be my Fuel Vector rims.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Colorado.JPG (107.6 KB, 42 views)
post #1070 of 1084 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 12:15 PM

Ok! My lift is finally complete. Very Happy with the end product.

This build: Fox 2.5 Coilovers Front, Prothane 19-419-BL Sway Bar End Links, Fox 2.0 rears, Add A Leaf and Diff Drop from Auto Springs Kits, Ionic Billet Running Boards, OEM Fender Flares, Fuel Off Road Wheels, Discover Cooper A/T3s 265 70 R17.

The Fox suspension ride improved the OEM Ride. Very happy with how the truck handles. I had the guys from Auto Springs Install the suspension. They said the front came up 2.75 inches! Fox advertises the coilovers are set at 2 in. I was bit worried the ride would be stiff with their current setting but the ride is great. With the extra height I am real happy I got the Diff Drop, and the extended End Links are a must. This is the exact look I was going for. Can not be any happier. No rubbing at full wheel lock.

Thanks: I have been trolling the Forums for about a year. Although I might have not talked to you I trolled the S**t out of your posts and you helped get the truck I have today. So thanks to drewabbs, deadly99, and Jaytac.

Also Thanks to WheelersOffroad, and Auto Springs Kits.

Future options: I might get a upper UCA. Not sure yet time will tell as I off road more.

post #1071 of 1084 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexpilot View Post
They said the front came up 2.75 inches! Fox advertises the coilovers are set at 2 in.
Are you taking into account a taller tire?

2017 Summit White Colorado Z71
CC, 4X4, V6, SB

Mods:
Eibach Pro
Zone Offroad 1.5" BL
Icon Swaybar Reloc.
Autosprings Diff. Drop
Swaybar Endlinks
Fuel Vectors 17" (custom painted matte gray)
Falken Wildpeak A/T3W 265/70/17 E-load
Blackoak 30" curved LED
RC mounting brackets
Rigid Industries Security Hardware Kit
Powdercoated Tow hooks
Illuminated Front Emblem // Black Rear Emblem
Tyger Armor Star Armor Side Step/Nerf Bars
Amerex B417 Fire Extinguisher
post #1072 of 1084 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 01:40 PM

The truck was lifted with the stock tires. I did not ask where they took their measurement. I assume center of wheel to bottom of fender. I should have done my own measurement, just never got around to it.
post #1073 of 1084 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 02:25 PM

Garage
Alright AirWolf, got the measurements. I tried to pull into the same spot in the garage when I did the pre lift measurements

These were taken from the bottom of the wheel to the bottom of the fender/wheel well.

Pre-Lift:

Driver front: 32 1/4"
Passenger front: 32 1/4"
Driver rear: 31 7/8"
Passenger rear: 32 1/4"

After lift:

Driver front: 35 3/4"
Passenger front: 36 1/8"
Driver rear: 34 3/4"
Passenger rear: 35 1/4"

Ground to fender:

Driver front: 40 1/4"
Passenger front: 40 3/4"
Driver rear: 39.5"
Passenger rear: 40"

Odd to find the passenger side is a half inch higher on both front and rear yet the truck looks completely level. Measurements did change a little, I would attribute that to everything settling in.

post #1074 of 1084 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Alright AirWolf, got the measurements. I tried to pull into the same spot in the garage when I did the pre lift measurements

These were taken from the bottom of the wheel to the bottom of the fender/wheel well.

Pre-Lift:

Driver front: 32 1/4"
Passenger front: 32 1/4"
Driver rear: 31 7/8"
Passenger rear: 32 1/4"

After lift:

Driver front: 35 3/4"
Passenger front: 36 1/8"
Driver rear: 34 3/4"
Passenger rear: 35 1/4"

Ground to fender:

Driver front: 40 1/4"
Passenger front: 40 3/4"
Driver rear: 39.5"
Passenger rear: 40"

Odd to find the passenger side is a half inch higher on both front and rear yet the truck looks completely level. Measurements did change a little, I would attribute that to everything settling in.
Cool, about what I thought it would be. So looks like the front came up about 5 1/2 - 6" from the stock height. Now throw some 33's on that bad boy and call it a day.
post #1075 of 1084 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 11:15 AM

Garage
Quote:
Cool, about what I thought it would be. So looks like the front came up about 5 1/2 - 6" from the stock height. Now throw some 33's on that bad boy and call it a day.
That I do need to do. Rubber most definitely but I can't decide whether to buy new wheels or not. A buddy of mine would swap me his All Terrain wheels which I prefer over the SLT wheels but that still doesn't solve the backspacing I want. I like how far out the wheels are but I'm not sure about keeping spacers for eternity.
Airwolf79 likes this.

post #1076 of 1084 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 12:40 PM

Before I start a thread asking a question that has been probably asked before:

Friday I am having the RC 2 inch level kit and 1.5 inch body lift installed. My plan is to trim the plastic in the wheel wells like many have done.

Is it possible to run 285/70/17 on this setup without rubbing, or should I stick with 265s?

I am a suspension novice and have never owned a truck that needed a lift before, but this Canyon just rides too low for where I take it. Ground clearance has been an issue I am trying to resolve. I am hoping a cheap fix will be the answer. I really do like my factory wheels on the all terrain. If push comes to shove, I will do a real lift down the road and get new wheels, but I'd really like that to be my nuclear option.

Appreciate any input from the collective...
post #1077 of 1084 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 01:14 PM

I am very particular about wheel flushness and went to measure first a Canyon Denali and then about 8 more Canyons and a couple of Colorado's at a local dealer.

The deal is that everyone of them, the right rear tire protrudes 1/2"- 3/4" more than the left rear tire.

In my case it's enough where I will alter the size spacers I order for that particular wheel.

Just thought you guys might find that information interesting.
post #1078 of 1084 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
I am very particular about wheel flushness and went to measure first a Canyon Denali and then about 8 more Canyons and a couple of Colorado's at a local dealer.

The deal is that everyone of them, the right rear tire protrudes 1/2"- 3/4" more than the left rear tire.

In my case it's enough where I will alter the size spacers I order for that particular wheel.

Just thought you guys might find that information interesting.
Yep, mine does it too, and it drove me nuts. Running 1.5" adapters on the front, 1.25" on the driver rear, and 3/4" on the passenger rear. I had to cut the studs on that one. Ridiculous that QC is this bad at GM.
post #1079 of 1084 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 02:58 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaysandBirds View Post

Friday I am having the RC 2 inch level kit and 1.5 inch body lift installed. My plan is to trim the plastic in the wheel wells like many have done.

Is it possible to run 285/70/17 on this setup without rubbing, or should I stick with 265s?

Appreciate any input from the collective...
Trimming the plastic is required when you push the wheels out for larger tires, either by using a more negative offset wheel or using wheel adapters on the factory wheels, otherwise you will be rubbing the sway bar/frame. Some 265/70's will rub the sway/frame because of their particular mfg tread widths on factory wheels, so going larger will undoubtedly force you to push the wheels out to avoid that contact.
post #1080 of 1084 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Yep, mine does it too, and it drove me nuts. Running 1.5" adapters on the front, 1.25" on the driver rear, and 3/4" on the passenger rear. I had to cut the studs on that one. Ridiculous that QC is this bad at GM.

So you found even the Left rear to protrude more than your fronts by about 1/4"? Colorado or Canyon? What lifting method do you have as front strut spacers I suspect would move the front end inwards, slightly.

I could not measure any significant difference between either front wheel or the left rear on the Canyons (didn't check the Colorados that carefully).

Also the Colorados seem to have more protrusion of the wheels overall. Since the chassis' are the same I assume the Colorado fenders are slightly more narrow than the Canyons but it's just a guess.

My current plan is to buy the 1.5" ebay spacers that after the lift/ realignment and then just check everything out. I'm hoping then I'll just need to order a single 1" Bora spacer for the right rear to get everything how I want it.

BTW, I have to run a 1/4" spacer on the left rear of my '08 Corvette to get both sides even on that car.

Current: 2009 Canyon CC I5. 180K miles. Best vehicle I've ever owned.
ORDERED: 2018 Canyon Denali Diesel 4x4 CCLB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode