Lowered 2016 CCSB, Belltech kit - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-17-2016, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Lowered 2016 CCSB, Belltech kit

I finally got enough time to lower my truck and get the wheels on.

-2016 CCSB 2wd, Z71, Duramax
-Belltech lowering kit. They say it won't work on a diesel, but it was basically all a perfect fit. Some minor adjustments required for height.
-KMC wheels from bbwheels/smalltowntire. 20x8.5 15mm offset. Ordered blanks from them and bbwheels had KMC drill the wheels before they shipped them so you know they are a quality drill job coming from such a big manufacturer. The guys at bbwheels were GREAT to deal with.
-Nitto 421Q tires in 265/50/20

I installed the whole kit without a hitch until I sat it down and found out my fears were founded in truth. . .the diesel having less rake than a gas truck left the front sitting 3/8" higher than the rear. The fronts were adjusted all the way down already because I didn't use any spacers. I pulled the front back apart and cut a mere 1/2 coil off the front springs and it now sits great with the front just a little lower than the rear. I used a cutoff wheel so as not to heat the spring any, so there should be no negative effects. On a gas truck it would have sat perfect with no adjustments. I did have to grind a small corner off of each rear lower brackets in the fip kit, but nothing major.

It rides great. I don't believe the lowering affected the ride at all. Going to a 20" wheel from a 17" did make some change, but not too bad.

It has not rubbed at all while driving yet. We will see after I get it aligned and drive it some more.

2016 CCSB Duramax

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-17-2016, 08:22 PM

Garage
Nice. Makes the spoiler look like it has a purpose. Good job.

2015 Colorado Z71 | Black | CC | SB | 2wd | 3.6 | Bose | Nav | Tow | Factory Spray On Bedliner | LED Bed Lighting | 30" Rigid LED Lightbar | G4 Fold-a-Cover & Caddy | Dash Cam/Rear Cam | Ready Lift 2" Front with Sway Bar Blocks | Auto Spring Add A Leaf | BFG KO2 265/70 17
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-17-2016, 09:21 PM

Looks sweet man, Makes me wish i got a 2wd. maybe a 4x4 version will come.

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-17-2016, 09:46 PM

Garage
Looks nice. Curious, how much trouble was lowering the rear?
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave66rivi View Post
Looks nice. Curious, how much trouble was lowering the rear?
It's not too bad. 7 bolts per side, a little time to prep for reinstall using new components, and reinstall. It takes about an hour and a half.
4 inches down is the only option for right now without modifications to the kit.

2016 CCSB Duramax

post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 11:55 AM

post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 12:28 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onebaddz View Post
It's not too bad. 7 bolts per side, a little time to prep for reinstall using new components, and reinstall. It takes about an hour and a half.
4 inches down is the only option for right now without modifications to the kit.
Thanks, been wanting to lower mine but the wife is trying to put a stop to my spending lol. The fed ex guy hates me, he has been here 4 times in the past 5 days and I have deliveries due today, tommorow and Friday.
onebaddz likes this.
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 12:53 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onebaddz View Post
I finally got enough time to lower my truck and get the wheels on.

-2016 CCSB 2wd, Z71, Duramax
-Belltech lowering kit. They say it won't work on a diesel, but it was basically all a perfect fit. Some minor adjustments required for height.
-KMC wheels from bbwheels/smalltowntire. 20x8.5 15mm offset. Ordered blanks from them and bbwheels had KMC drill the wheels before they shipped them so you know they are a quality drill job coming from such a big manufacturer. The guys at bbwheels were GREAT to deal with.
-Nitto 421Q tires in 265/50/20

I installed the whole kit without a hitch until I sat it down and found out my fears were founded in truth. . .the diesel having less rake than a gas truck left the front sitting 3/8" higher than the rear. The fronts were adjusted all the way down already because I didn't use any spacers. I pulled the front back apart and cut a mere 1/2 coil off the front springs and it now sits great with the front just a little lower than the rear. I used a cutoff wheel so as not to heat the spring any, so there should be no negative effects. On a gas truck it would have sat perfect with no adjustments. I did have to grind a small corner off of each rear lower brackets in the fip kit, but nothing major.

It rides great. I don't believe the lowering affected the ride at all. Going to a 20" wheel from a 17" did make some change, but not too bad.

It has not rubbed at all while driving yet. We will see after I get it aligned and drive it some more.

It looks really good. I found this rendering a while back and was wondering if a lowered 2nd Gen Collie would look similar to it. I say it looks even better than the rendering

Good job! Now to decide whether to lift or lower my 2wd ;)

2016 Chevy Colorado LT/Silver Ice Metallic/3.6L DOHC V6/LT Convenience Package/Black Bowtie Emblems/AMP Research PowerSteps/Access TonnoSport Cover/Access Bed Mat/Spray Bedliner/Carbon Fiber Wrap Interior Trims/Stubby Jr/Z71 Grille Swap/BajaKits UCA/Kings 2.5 Coilover Shocks/ProComp 1" Rear Blocks/20x9 Fuel Off-Road Triton/275.55.20 Nitto Terra Grappler G2

post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 01:10 PM

Garage
I hate that I like it.
onebaddz likes this.

2015 Chevy Colorado Summit White Z71 CC LB 4x4
Removed Air Dam - Blacked Out Badges and Logos
NFAB Nerf Bars - 2 x 8" Helix Subs - 250W Alpine Amp
RealTruck XR Tonneau
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 01:48 PM

I was considering 275-50-20 Michelin..

I think the 265 is wide enough ?

do you consider wider ? 275

GB
post #11 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 03:13 PM

Now you just need some go fast goodies for the diesel and you can have a nice little sleeper lol. Im a 4x4 fan and will never own a 2wd truck, but this looks absolutely fantastic.
onebaddz likes this.

2016 ccsb Colorado
Red Rock Metallic
K&N Blackhawk intake
30 inch titan 4ds led light bar (front bumper)
Leds everywhere
Cyclops led low beams
Diode dynamic xml2 fogs
Auto spring 2.5/1.5 front level rear add a leaf
post #12 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEE-BEE View Post
I was considering 275-50-20 Michelin..

I think the 265 is wide enough ?

do you consider wider ? 275

GB
The 265 actually bulges on the 8.5" rim. The math said it shouldn't, maybe the Nitto 421Q just runs wide. To go up to a 275 I'd recommend a 9" wide wheel.

Last edited by onebaddz; 04-18-2016 at 06:20 PM.
post #13 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 05:25 PM

I'd be curious to know what that did to your mpg.
post #14 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 05:30 PM

Why doesn't this work on the long beds? Is it because of the longer drive shaft ?
post #15 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
I'd be curious to know what that did to your mpg.
Me too, I'm hoping to help it. Since removing the spoiler hurts mileage, I'm hoping getting it closer to the ground might help it. It does on some cars, but I may still be too far from the ground to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keasar0949 View Post
Why doesn't this work on the long beds? Is it because of the longer drive shaft ?
I'm not sure. I'd venture to say it would probably work, but that the amount it lowers the rear would be off. Probably something that could be worked around with a little time and effort, just like making the front right on my diesel simply took a little extra work to customize the kit to my needs. Basically it's a drop in kit for CCSB 2wd gas trucks, but I think it would probably work on all of the trucks if the installer is confident in making the necessary adjustments.

2016 CCSB Duramax

post #16 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 01:44 PM

Thanx the dim between the two sizes is very little...

I have some 20 x 9 multi spoke headed to the hydrodipper for carbon fiber finish...

Thanx for the reply...

GB
post #17 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 01:50 PM

That looks gorgeous !!! No good for 4 wheel drive?
post #18 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by myvolkie View Post
That looks gorgeous !!! No good for 4 wheel drive?
Thanks man.

They say 2wd only on the kit
post #19 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 02:59 PM

Absolutely.

That stinks. Maybe soon.
post #20 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by myvolkie View Post
Absolutely.

That stinks. Maybe soon.
Well, they also say Gas only and acted like I was an idiot when I asked them about the Diesel. . .and it's clearly a successful installation on my diesel. So, I wouldn't take their word on 2wd only. I think it would work on a 4wd but the problem I expect is that you can't do the full lowering on the front due to halfshaft angles. That wouldn't be a problem except that the rear is 4" ONLY so it would sit lower than the front without customization of the shackles in the rear. If they would just make the rear adjustable I think the kit would fit absolutely any of the trucks.
myvolkie likes this.

2016 CCSB Duramax

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode