Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

Gmc warranty for nail in tire? Repair etc

16K views 31 replies 21 participants last post by  Gregguz 
#1 ·
Does he original 2016 factory warranty a tire repair. Like a nail in tire? Could you take into dealer for that?

#4 ·
It's a $20 repair at a tire shop. Why waste the time going to the dealer for that....... even if it was free?

(I took my truck in for an oil change and the Android Auto update and it took them ALL DAY! Free is NOT free when you have to give up your truck for the whole day. The only thing that impressed me was that they refilled my DEF at no cost when they did the oil change)

Reactions: sgiven and Toughsox
#3 ·
No road hazard or tread life warranty, but the original tires are warrantied against defects.

Reactions: yorkiemiki
#5 ·
Roadsde assistance warranty says they will change or repair a flat tire.

#8 ·
As a general rule, the warranty only covers any deficiencies that are directly related to their workmanship or parts they used. Or in other words, the manufacturer could have prevented the deficiency.

There is no way a manufacturer can prevent a tire from being punctured by road debri. So generally that type of repair is not covered.

#9 ·
In a different vehicle.... Roadside assistance covered a tire puncture. The puncture was not repairable. They replaced the tire at a pro-rated amount. The tire was about 2 years old - and they gave me what the tire was worth being 2 years old.

So yes...it can be covered under roadside. I'm just not familiar with GM's *fine print*

#24 ·

Not really. Yeah you can use it to fix a flat but there's two issues with those things:

1) Sometimes they don't hold. Had that happen two years ago myself. :/ Ended up having to completely replace the entire tire afterwards since the bead got chewed up when it went flat. :(

2) They can throw off the balance of a tire too. Ideally a tire should get patched from the inside and rebalanced afterwards.

If you don't have a spare tire those patch kits can be a viable option until you can get the tire fixed professionally. I know some people have had good luck with them (like my dad), but after losing a tire to one, I wouldn't rely on it for a permanent repair.

Reactions: Janster
#12 ·
In SoCal you can purchase a tire maintinence contract at Allen tire,about 80 bucks.Includes rotation, road hazard(they patch and plug a hole)balancing whenever you request it,and evacuation and nitro fills for the life of the tires.The best part is the wait is never more than 15-30 minutes if there is a wait at all.Your new tires have no road hazard ,you fix your own flats,they will not balance your tires or rotate without you paying for it.I'll be buying the contract next week,and these guys are good tire men,no shop monkeys.

#13 ·
First time I had my truck in for service the service sign-off person noticed a screw in one of my tires. They said it was too close to the sidewall to repair, that I needed a new tire at $200+! I said I'd keep an eye on it and consider my options, drove to my local tire place and they fixed it in about 10 minutes for under $20...just like Doctors, sometimes it pays to get a 2nd opinion...

#18 ·
Not trying to be a smart-Alec but I'm curious... Do you get paid to moderate the forums? Because if you don't - dude, you need to find another hobby. It's almost like you're sitting at your computer 24 hours a day monitoring things that really don't need to be monitored. Let it go!! Go outside and have a beer, listen to the birds, be glad you're alive... Just saying!! :)

And no offense of course.:wink2:

#21 ·
There's some serious tuchushurt going on here towards Moderators. Obviously a bunch of outlaws worried about being moderated. Personally, I find the OP's question offensive and showing a complete lack of common sense. OP took on a nail due to operator error, they didn't see the nail on the public or private road, and ran over it. End of story, end of liability by manufacturer. Get it patched and move on.

I'd also be a little bit concerned about owning such a wonderful truck yet acting like you live in a Nanny state where you aren't accountable for anything you screw up on yourself. Man up and own up to your error. You ran over a nail, it poked a hole in your tire. Pay for your error, get it patched up. End of story.

Anyways, this is all IMHO and YMMV, standard disclaimer for my posts.

#23 · (Edited)
So....you're saying that you'd do the same? If your warranty will cover such a tire repair, you'd just pay for it yourself? If you would - then you need to have your head examined.

There's not a darn thing wrong with taking advantage of a warranty coverage especially if it will cover the repair - Operator error or not. You paid a lot of money for a truck which includes whatever is written in the warranty. You'd be stupid not to take advantage of it.

The OP's question was totally legitimate and to the point. Can't get any better question than that.

#26 ·
Update: Sorry I never updated-- been too busy working to pay off this damn truck...

yes they covered it under the roadside warranty. (the warranty is one of reasons why I bought a brand new truck and paid a ton of money for so yeah, I didn't mind asking for this --to the angry mod)

I took it in and they repaired it while I fixed some other issues with recall at same time. No biggie. Thanks guys

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.