5Likes
  • 1 Post By Andrew24
  • 1 Post By yokev
  • 1 Post By drewabbs
  • 2 Post By yokev

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Leveling Kits Affect Geometry

When you lift the IFS of our trucks, you are bound to run into many issues. Currently I am running the Rough Country 2" level and my tie rod angles are way out of whack. The angles are so severe that the truck now has very evident bump steer. I am not running aftermarket UCAs because I do not know if the purchase would fix the bump steer. When browsing UCAs, the websites claim that the UCAs allow for more caster when aligning the truck. This increased caster is supposed to reduce wheel wobble/wandering on the road. Is anyone running a 2" level without aftermarket UCAs and not experiencing bump steer/experiencing bump steer? So far my only conclusion on how to fix the bump steer is to either remove the leveling kit or go to a drop bracket style lift to retain factory suspension geometry. I love, love, love the way the truck looks with the level and I don't really want to lift the truck any higher than it already is. Does anyone know a fix for this bump steer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 06:52 PM

Garage
On your re-alignment, how far off were you after the 2" lift?
What wheels / tires are you running?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 06:55 PM

Garage
2 inch RC kit here, drives like it did before the kit, i think your installer goofed it somehow
drewabbs likes this.

2015 red hot ext cab z71

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewabbs View Post
On your re-alignment, how far off were you after the 2" lift?
What wheels / tires are you running?
I took the truck to the dealership for the alignment. I did not receive any information on where the alignment was before/after the truck went into the shop. I have doubts that the dealership aligned the truck to factory specs even though on the receipt it states that they performed a custom suspension alignment. I am running 16x8 KMC XD 301 wheels with a 0 offset with 285/75r16 BFG KO2s. I have read that bigger/wider tires can bring out bump steer combined with other suspension gremlins. The truck has an issue that no one else seems to be experiencing.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 07:37 PM

Send a message via AIM to GS357 Send a message via MSN to GS357
I am running the Pro Comp 2.5" level kit (Nitro) because it was recommended by the Chevy Dealer. The dealer did the alignment, and it rides and drives the same as before, just taller.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 07:38 PM

What kind of lift is it? Spacer? Does the spacer install outside & above the coil assembly?

I've never heard of a 2" kit causing such havoc on any other trucks.

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 07:51 PM

Garage
This diagram shows how to zero bump steer.
If you take your wheels off you should be able to see how close or far out your suspension is.
A couple inches shouldn't give you bump steer IMO, so I'm wondering if you have uneven/low tire pressures, or some other reason why one wheel/tire would grab when compressed

2016 Colorado 2.8L D-max, Crew Cab, Long Bed, Z71, 4WD.
ZONE 5.5" Suspension Lift
Moto Metal 970 17x8.5"
Nitto Terra G-G2s, 295/70/17
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 11:58 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff GMC View Post
I have doubts that the dealership aligned the truck to factory specs even though on the receipt it states that they performed a custom suspension alignment. I am running 16x8 KMC XD 301 wheels with a 0 offset with 285/75r16 BFG KO2s. I have read that bigger/wider tires can bring out bump steer combined with other suspension gremlins. The truck has an issue that no one else seems to be experiencing.
Well a couple things to test....free and not too time consuming.
1) Check your dealership, they may still have before and afters on record. Just call to state your concern.
2) Tire size, thats alot of rubber to rim. Just to see if it has any affect, if it were me, I would air the tires up to the high side (42-ish) if thats what the tires can take. See if that has any affect on the bumpsteer. Those sidewalls should be thick enough to not be a problem but its an easy way to test it.

3) Check the top bolts for tightness (dont over-tighten, but make sure there isnt any slop in them). Since you are under there, I would double check all bolts touched in the kit and anything on that arm.

The overall tire size and offset should not be enough to contribute to the issue. There are several who are running that thick (I did for about 12 hours), and the height isnt bad either. what you are experiencing is not normal.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 03:32 AM

Garage
Quote:
I 285/75r16 BFG KO2s.
I just noticed this. You're running what pretty-much is a 33" tire(32.75" tall) with only lifting your vehicle 2".
Rough Country recommends that size tire(285/65/18 ) with their 6" lift! With your 2" leveling kit they only call for a 265/70/17~31.5" tall and a full inch narrower.
I wouldn't be a but surprised if one of your tires is hitting body parts when you compress your suspension going over a bump. If this is happening, you can ****-well bet it will jerk the truck to that side.
Have you checked your wheel wells for evidence of your tires hitting anywhere? You'll see rubber marks and possibly even some damage
drewabbs likes this.

Moto Metal 970 17x8.5"

Last edited by yokev; 08-09-2016 at 03:39 AM.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 11:30 AM
ColoradoFans.com Site Sponsors

This issue has been going on for way too long for you.

Find another shop and have them check the spacer. If you still don't feel confident, get a new kit.

I've never heard of a 2" spacer causing this much issue on ANY truck...Ford, Chevy, Toyota, Nissan etc...

Yokev did bring up a good point regarding your tires being too big for your 2" level though!

Suspension | Race Prep | Fabrication

JT
Baja Kits by BRENTHEL
4785 E. Bryson St, Anaheim, CA, 92807 Toll Free: 800-767-2208
Direct: 949-566-8609
Fax: 949-682-1758
Email: JT@Bajakits.com
Instagram: @bajakits / @brenthelindustries
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokev View Post
I just noticed this. You're running what pretty-much is a 33" tire(32.75" tall) with only lifting your vehicle 2".
Rough Country recommends that size tire(285/65/18 ) with their 6" lift! With your 2" leveling kit they only call for a 265/70/17~31.5" tall and a full inch narrower.
I wouldn't be a but surprised if one of your tires is hitting body parts when you compress your suspension going over a bump. If this is happening, you can ****-well bet it will jerk the truck to that side.
Have you checked your wheel wells for evidence of your tires hitting anywhere? You'll see rubber marks and possibly even some damage
The only place the tires rub is on the swaybar, but thats normal for these trucks when you put bigger tires on them. I had the trucks wheel wells cleaned up at a custom shop for clearance for the tires. I am beginning to believe that not only is the weight and size of the tire messing with the steering but my tie rod angles are adding on top of that.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

I went back to the custom shop where I had my level installed and the wells trimmed. They told me that the only things I can do to fix the issue is to either lower the front back down to regain tie rod angle, go to a different lift kit with a high steer knuckle, or they could ream out the tie rod mounting point on the knuckle and flip the tie rod ends to bring the angle back to level (this was the cheapest option). None of these are guaranteed fixes.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 04:56 PM

Garage
Maybe try to get them to cover changing to a different kit?

2015 Z71 2WD Crew Cab Long Bed Cyber Grey Metallic

Ready Lift 2.0 leveling kit, OEM Fender Flares, WeatherTech Mudflaps, Morimoto HID Kit, K&N 63 Series intake, JBA Catback Exhaust, Rough Country Hidden Bumper Mounts and 30" Light Bar, 17" Black Rhino Tanay wheels, Goodyear Duratracs
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 10:46 PM

Quote:
I went back to the custom shop where I had my level installed and the wells trimmed. They told me that the only things I can do to fix the issue is to either lower the front back down to regain tie rod angle, go to a different lift kit with a high steer knuckle, or they could ream out the tie rod mounting point on the knuckle and flip the tie rod ends to bring the angle back to level (this was the cheapest option). None of these are guaranteed fixes.
Not sure what could be causing your problem, But just from reading your last post it sounds to me like they are trying to sell you more stuff to get more money out of you. I would not let them ream the hole and flip the tierod for better angle, just my 2 cents but they sound like hacks. If i was you i would try and get some stock sized tires and wheel and see if you still have the issue then go from there.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 11:07 PM

Garage
Have you tried dropping the diff 1/4 inch?
And to @yokev point....is the rubbing on the sway enough to seem like a bump steer? How about the frame on the back of the wheel well.
Moving the sway may also be beneficial too.

The fact that so many of us have your same set up (either through levelers or coilovers), I think you are heading down the wrong path on chasing a tie rod issue. The only anomaly is the 16" rim with 33" tires, I dont know anyone else running those on a 2" lift.
Jayhawk likes this.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 11:21 PM

Garage
Quote:
The only place the tires rub is on the swaybar, but thats normal for these trucks when you put bigger tires on them. I had the trucks wheel wells cleaned up at a custom shop for clearance for the tires. I am beginning to believe that not only is the weight and size of the tire messing with the steering but my tie rod angles are adding on top of that.
Well, for starters, you don't want your tires rubbing on anything. Some guys let it go because they only get it when their wheels are cranked all the way and their backing up or whatever, so a rare occurrence.
Furthermore, it doesn't matter WHERE your tires are rubbing, if they grab WHATEVER hard enough it's obviously gonna grab the tire and pull the truck to that side so I definitely wouldn't dismiss this.
Lastly, it sounds like you just had this done? I had a Jeep that I bought the tires for(lifted it) from America's Tire, and they let me return the first two sets I bought because I was a finicky bitch.
I don't know where you bought your tires from, but it would definitely be worth it IMO to see if they have the same policy, and back down in size if they do. No matter what, you're running tires that are WAY too big for your leveling kit.
Oh, and I don't remember reading whether or not you contacted Rough Country regarding this? I coulda swore several people on here chimed in with your same kit and said they aren't having the same problems, which would take what the installer wants to do out of the equation.
Rough COuntry's ENgineers designed this kit, and I'd be willing to bet that if you contacted them and gave them all the parameters(maybe take pictures of your suspension pieces, and obviously let them know both your tire AND wheel sizes), they'd be able to help you. They call for a 17" wheel for this kit. Maybe a 16" WILL work, but I know on the 6" lift they call for an 18" wheel because anything smaller WON'T work
drewabbs and JT@Bajakits like this.

Moto Metal 970 17x8.5"

Last edited by yokev; 08-09-2016 at 11:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode