1.5" Spacers, stock Canyon 18" wheels, no lift. - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-29-2016, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

1.5" Spacers, stock Canyon 18" wheels, no lift.

Hi guys,

I'll be installing a 2" RC level kit on Tuesday then shopping for tires. But for now I popped on some 1.5" Spacers with my stock wheels and stock size winter tires. Thought I'd post some before and after pics as I couldn't find many. I think it looks pretty good, lots less roll in corners too.

Before

After
Matt At, Daw, cesharp3 and 1 others like this.

2015 Canyon SLE RWD, Undercover Flex Tonneau, 1.5" Wheel spacers, 2" RC Level, K&N 63 Series CAI, Magnaflow Dual Exhaust, Trifecta Tuned
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-29-2016, 06:50 PM

which spacers did you get?

-=[Black 2016 Colorado Z71]=-
N-Fab 3" Nerf Bars - Line-X Lined Bed - Undercover Flex - AVS Vent Shades - Husky X-Act Contour Floor Mats - WeatherTech No-Drill Mud Flaps - Hellwig 7745 Rear Sway-Bar - Curt Class III Hitch - RC 2" Lift/Level - K&N 77 CAI - VSS Kicker - Pop'N'Lock - Trifecta Tune

post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-29-2016, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

I got them from an eBay seller, lugs n stuff, they're the same aluminum as the Bora ones. Doesn't look like they have any coating on them or anything. Studs are the same length and thread pitch as stock.

2015 Canyon SLE RWD, Undercover Flex Tonneau, 1.5" Wheel spacers, 2" RC Level, K&N 63 Series CAI, Magnaflow Dual Exhaust, Trifecta Tuned

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-29-2016, 09:15 PM

Garage
1.5" spacers on either side is pushing the weight distribution out a ways on both sides of the truck...are you not worried about trashing your wheel bearings over time due to the change in weight distribution hitting them? Especially in turns. I know of other trucks that have used spacers in the past that have had that problem which is why I have not considered it.....I like the look of a wider stance and less roll in city driving would be awesome. Looking forward to a response and being educated on this topic.

2016 Colorado
Red Hot Trail Boss

Last edited by robbpoe; 10-29-2016 at 09:17 PM. Reason: not clearly stated
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-29-2016, 09:44 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Mmm looks pretty good. Thanks for spending my money...

Sent from the top of a Falcon 9
isiddall likes this.

Resident thread derailer

2016 GMC Canyon SLT: CC SB 4x4

Site Rules

post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-29-2016, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

I don't see it being any different then running wheels with less backspace. My Canyon is mostly on the highway going straight, but my Blazer in the foreground of the after pic above is running s10 extreme wheels, which have a 4.5" bs where the factory wheels have a 6" bs. I've had to change one of the hub bearings on it, but it's at 280,000kms and the last 50,000 or so have been banging around back roads and ATV trails and not very nicely 😈. Anyways, it might speed up bearing wear, but not a ridiculous amount, not enough that I'm worried about it.
robbpoe likes this.

post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-30-2016, 12:24 PM

Looks great i'm definitely adding a set to mine!
isiddall likes this.

2015 GMC Canyon 4x4 SLT v6
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-30-2016, 04:27 PM

I was unable to get 1.5" spacers to fit without serious rubbing with 2" of lift. 265/70R17 tires though. Stock tire size and you might be ok
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-30-2016, 06:31 PM

Send a message via AIM to DuckFarmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbpoe View Post
1.5" spacers on either side is pushing the weight distribution out a ways on both sides of the truck...are you not worried about trashing your wheel bearings over time due to the change in weight distribution hitting them? Especially in turns. I know of other trucks that have used spacers in the past that have had that problem which is why I have not considered it.....I like the look of a wider stance and less roll in city driving would be awesome. Looking forward to a response and being educated on this topic.
It's no different than running a wheel with less offset.
robbpoe likes this.

Andy

2015 GMC Canyon Crew Cab Long Box All Terrain 4x4
3.6 V6 | Onyx Black | Leer truck cap | 2" leveling kit | 265/70R17 Falken Wildpeak AT3 all terrains |

Old truck (RIP)
2007 GMC Canyon SLE Crew Cab Z71 4x4
3.7L I5 Auto | Summit White | A.R.E. truck cap | Westin running boards | Air Lift adjustable air springs | General Grabber AT2 All Terrains |
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-30-2016, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by btsbarton View Post
I was unable to get 1.5" spacers to fit without serious rubbing with 2" of lift. 265/70R17 tires though. Stock tire size and you might be ok
Where is it rubbing? I was thinking about 265/65r18 which is the same size as that. What tires do you have?

post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-30-2016, 08:56 PM

I noted it was hitting on the front /front bottom edge of the wheel well. I removed them immediately after testing them because it was rubbing so much. Tires were duratracs.

I now have 2" lift + 1.25" body lift with same tires and 1.5" spacers. It seems to be rubbing a bit at full lock I think on the back of the wheel well.... but its not too bad so I haven't investigated further.
isiddall likes this.
post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 01:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by btsbarton View Post
I noted it was hitting on the front /front bottom edge of the wheel well. I removed them immediately after testing them because it was rubbing so much. Tires were duratracs.

I now have 2" lift + 1.25" body lift with same tires and 1.5" spacers. It seems to be rubbing a bit at full lock I think on the back of the wheel well.... but its not too bad so I haven't investigated further.
Good info, we have similar taste it looks like. Duratracs are what I was looking at as well, especially as they're on sale at my local Canadian tire for 100 off each tire. I don't really want to do a body lift though, so I think I have some more research to do.

post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 10:38 AM

Are these spacers hubcentric?

Thanks.

Current: 2009 Canyon CC I5. 170K miles. Best vehicle I've ever owned.
Eagerly awaiting 2018 Canyon Denali Diesel 4x4 CCLB
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Yep, I wouldn't try ones that were not personally.

sagbay likes this.

post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 12:56 PM

I'm looking at wheel spacers too. Trying to decide if I should go this route or new rims.

Are the OEM studs too long for 1" or 1.25" hubcentric spacers? Cause 1.5" is just hanging out too far for my tastes.

Is it possible the studs could slide in to a slot in to the back of the stock wheel?

Thanks.
CC1999 likes this.

post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

I didn't take pics, but the back of the stock wheels has a gap that the studs could fit into, 1.25" i think would be fine, 1" i'm pretty sure you'll need to grind off some of the unthreaded part of the factory stud, nothing that would prevent you from removing the spacer and safely driving later on.

post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 01:56 PM

Thank you for that info!

post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 06:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to DuckFarmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by isiddall View Post
I didn't take pics, but the back of the stock wheels has a gap that the studs could fit into, 1.25" i think would be fine, 1" i'm pretty sure you'll need to grind off some of the unthreaded part of the factory stud, nothing that would prevent you from removing the spacer and safely driving later on.
Suns,

Some members on here say that you need to trim the studs to fit 1.25" spacers. 1.5" you're definitely OK (from all accounts I've heard. I'm getting 1.5" spacers installed on Wednesday so I'll be able to see for myself).

Also, you definitely want to go with a hub centric spacer.

Andy

2015 GMC Canyon Crew Cab Long Box All Terrain 4x4
3.6 V6 | Onyx Black | Leer truck cap | 2" leveling kit | 265/70R17 Falken Wildpeak AT3 all terrains |

Old truck (RIP)
2007 GMC Canyon SLE Crew Cab Z71 4x4
3.7L I5 Auto | Summit White | A.R.E. truck cap | Westin running boards | Air Lift adjustable air springs | General Grabber AT2 All Terrains |
post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

I went and took a pic, it's a bit misleading as the tape isn't lined up perfectly with the bottom and the gaps are tapered a bit at the sides, but it looks like .25" of stud would fit in there no problem at all, with space to spare.

Last edited by isiddall; 10-31-2016 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Darn autocorrect
post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 11:48 PM

http://www.motorsport-tech.com

1" spacers from these guys worked perfect with the Procomp Nitro kit. Stock 18's & Toyo 285/65 RT's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode