Odd vibrating after Lift/Wheels/Tires Install. - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Odd vibrating after Lift/Wheels/Tires Install.

I have a 2015 Canyon SLT. I've had BFG K02's on the stock 18's with the RC leveling for awhile with no issues at all.

I recently installed the Zone 5.5" lift and had the K02's moved to my new Fuel Beast wheels. I had the tires mounted and balanced and the truck aligned once I was all done.

Ever since the lift the steering wheel shakes at 55mph or so, any slower and its not there and any faster is stops. It also shakes quite violently when I turn the wheel....say I'm going down the highway at 65MPH and the HW turns (like a wide turn that you don't need to slow down for.) is will shake.

I unplugged the power steering rack and took it for a spin, it seemed to solve the issue but then obviously it was a workout to drive. This tells me that there is some sort vibration that the electric power steering is amplifying (well that is my assumption) but I have no idea what to do.

I am taking it to a truck shop next week for a Road Force alignment.......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Zone Front.jpg (493.0 KB, 98 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 02:46 PM

Garage
I am experiencing the same problem with a 6" RC lift. Mine is only at slower speeds (25-30mph). I was also told it is the electric steering but not sure of a fix for that.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 04:09 PM

Does it shake EVERY time at those speed or only sometimes? If it is every time it could be a tire that is not balanced properly. One of the weights could have come off or the new wheel is bent.

If it only happens sometimes then it is more likely a suspension problem. Something is off or not tightened properly.

2016 Canyon SLE CC LB All-Terrain 3.6L - RC 2" Kit | Goodyear Duratrac P265/70/17
2013 Chevy Volt

Instagram

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 11:12 PM

Garage
It's a known issue with lifts and bigger wheels/tires and the electronic steering rack. Some people seem to experience no problems (like myself) while others are plagued with the steering wheel shake regardless of balancing/alignment. Although I will say... you're the 3rd person I've seen have these issues while running the KO2's.

-SPONSORS-
| BAJA DESIGNS |
| BDS-SUSPENSIONS | KILLERWAXX SOCAL |
| LIVERNOIS MOTORSPORTS | RHINO-RACK |

2015 Colorado Z71 4x4
BDS Suspensions 7" lift | 22x12 -44 Grid Off-Road GD-4
325/50/22 Cooper Discoverer STT Pro

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 07:39 AM

Vibrations are a strange things to try and diagnose. Although, the vibration occurs at certain speeds, doesn't mean its not there at other speeds. There are occilations that occur and sometimes they're worse at certain rpms, etc.

Some questions you need to ask:
When it is vibrating, if you step on the brake - does it go away?
Is the vibration related to wheel speed or engine speed?
If you rotate the tires - does it change location or severity?
If you drive in Auto 4WD, or even 4WD - does it still vibrate?
Does the truck track properly? Did you have it aligned since the changes?
What does the front axles shafts look like? Are they at an extreme angle?
What about the front & rear driveshafts? Are they at an extreme angle?

Vibrations can be anything from defective wheel, bad balance, allignment, Driveline components not aligned properly, Steering components not aligned properly, Brakes, and a whole host of other things I can't think of right now.

Just some things to think about....

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 11:21 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilley View Post
It's a known issue with lifts and bigger wheels/tires and the electronic steering rack. Some people seem to experience no problems (like myself) while others are plagued with the steering wheel shake regardless of balancing/alignment. Although I will say... you're the 3rd person I've seen have these issues while running the KO2's.
I had the vibration issue when I had my leveling kit and 265/70r17 KO2s, since I have lifted my truck and switched to Wrangler Duratracs I have only get a slight vibration at about 87mph

BDS 5.5" Lift with Fox Shocks
RBP 94R 18x9 with custom Laser Blue inserts
305/65R18 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 01:12 PM

Garage
last night I went to get my tires rebalanced and rotated by a different shop and they told me the balance on the wheels was fine. After I drove away I noticed the shake was stronger when making a left hand turn rater than the right as it was before. I took it back in one more time to let them know about it and they checked the tire pressure one more time. I had one tire at 38psi while the others were at 35psi (a slight difference but a difference) they let some air out and now it seems to be better. still a slight shake at lower speeds but I think its just due to the more aggressive tires.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 02:46 PM

Garage
I was going to say it might be the steering calibration but I dont think it is if it was fine before.

#PIT5416: Vibration Felt When Turning At Highway Speeds - (May 15, 2015)
Subject: Vibration Felt When Turning At Highway Speeds
Models: 2015 Chevrolet Colorado
2015 GMC Canyon

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehi
cle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern

A small vibration may be experienced through sweeping turns on highways or interstates that goes away once the roadway is straight.

This vibration is only present while turning at high
way speed.

There is a condition called Smooth Road Shake (SRS)

and the Power Steering Control Module (PSCM) has a
calibration to lessen the effects of SRS

This calibration is inhibited when the steering whee
l is turned beyond a certain degree at which point the SRS may be felt in the vehicle

Recommendation/Instructions

Note:
Do NOT replace any parts for this condition.

A revised calibration has been written to widen the
amount of degrees from center that the wheel can beturned before inhibiting the SRS correction.

Program the PSCM with the latest files available in
TIS2WEB, then verify the repair

If a vibration still exists after the PSCM calibrati
ons have been updated, please continue with published vibration diagnostics.

2015 Z71 2WD Crew Cab Long Bed Cyber Grey Metallic

Ready Lift 2.0 leveling kit, OEM Fender Flares, WeatherTech Mudflaps, Morimoto HID Kit, K&N 63 Series intake, JBA Catback Exhaust, Rough Country Hidden Bumper Mounts and 30" Light Bar, 17" Black Rhino Tanay wheels, Goodyear Duratracs
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 03:15 PM

I'm running a 285/65R18 on the RC 6" lift - I get a slight little shimmy at highway speeds, not anything like it seems you're experiencing. What part of Virginia are you in? I'm in Richmond. I'll let you drive my truck if you want to compare...
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 08:52 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoRooster View Post
last night I went to get my tires rebalanced and rotated by a different shop and they told me the balance on the wheels was fine. After I drove away I noticed the shake was stronger when making a left hand turn rater than the right as it was before. I took it back in one more time to let them know about it and they checked the tire pressure one more time. I had one tire at 38psi while the others were at 35psi (a slight difference but a difference) they let some air out and now it seems to be better. still a slight shake at lower speeds but I think its just due to the more aggressive tires.
One tire 3psi higher than the rest isn't gonna cause a vibration.
All Terrains don't cause vibrations.
If one(or more) of your tires are out of round or balance, sure, that will cause a vibration.
Have you checked to make sure none of your tires are out of round?
Did any of them take an excessive amount of wheel weights to balance out?
I have the same lift as the OP(I forgot if that's you or someone else), and when it was aligned I was told that it actually aligned better than it came from the factory.
Zone does a really good job of keeping the geometry in check.
Who installed the lift?
If you paid someone to do it, a trip back to them to have them recheck your suspension and steering components to make sure there's no binding would be wise.
If you installed it, then you should re-check everything...on a lift.
I would pay attention to the rotating shafts. It's obviously entirely possible that parts/brackets weren't seated properly when installed/tightened, causing mis-alignment and/or bad angles
One last thing, if you feel the vibration(more) through your ass, then you need to check the REAR driveshaft angle.
FabTech(for example) HD lifts used to be notorious for their rear blocks creating bad d-shaft angles

2016 Colorado 2.8L D-max, Crew Cab, Long Bed, Z71, 4WD.
ZONE 5.5" Suspension Lift
Moto Metal 970 17x8.5"
Nitto Terra G-G2s, 295/70/17

Last edited by yokev; 01-11-2017 at 12:17 AM.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 09:21 PM

Mine started about 4000 miles ago after a leveling kit, new tires and alignment. About the same speed. It's almost gone now. I suspect it was the tires "breaking in" and not being 100% perfect in balance. Mine does not exist/worsen upon turning as you stated.

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 01:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yokev View Post
One tire 3psi higher than the rest isn't gonna cause a vibration.
All Terrains don't cause vibrations.
If one(or more) of your tires are out of round or balance, sure, that will cause a vibration.
Have you checked to make sure none of your tires are out of round?
Did any of them take an excessive amount of wheel weights to balance out?
I have the same lift as the OP(I forgot if that's you or someone else), and when it was aligned I was told that it actually aligned better than it came from the factory.
Zone does a really good job of keeping the geometry in check.
Who installed the lift?
If you paid someone to do it, a trip back to them to have them recheck your suspension and steering components to make sure there's no binding would be wise.
If you installed it, then you should re-check everything...on a lift.
I would pay attention to the rotating shafts. It's obviously entirely possible that parts/brackets weren't seated properly when installed/tightened, causing mis-alignment and/or bad angles
One last thing, if you feel the vibration(more) through your ass, then you need to check the REAR driveshaft angle.
FabTech(for example) HD lifts used to be notorious for their rear blocks creating bad d-shaft angles

Yeah I'm kind of at a loss on this. It's not a vibration, it's a violent shake in the steering wheel. I thought after having the psi adjusted it helped but it didn't, today on my way into work I had the same shake. Off Road Warehouse who installed my lift has looked at it twice and claim its got to be a problem with the electronic steering. Discount Tire says wheels and tires seem to be fine. Next step I can think of is taking it to the dealer and having them check it out, but not sure how much they will be willing to help.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 03:31 PM

Garage
Quote:
Yeah I'm kind of at a loss on this. It's not a vibration, it's a violent shake in the steering wheel. I thought after having the psi adjusted it helped but it didn't, today on my way into work I had the same shake. Off Road Warehouse who installed my lift has looked at it twice and claim its got to be a problem with the electronic steering. Discount Tire says wheels and tires seem to be fine. Next step I can think of is taking it to the dealer and having them check it out, but not sure how much they will be willing to help.
I'd be amazed if the dealer helped you with a warranty claim on this. You're probably going to have to come out of pocket for any troubleshooting/parts replacement to rectify the problem. Good luck!

-SPONSORS-
| BAJA DESIGNS |

2015 Colorado Z71 4x4

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Reread post #5. Have You answered the questions? Have you driven it in 4WD? Have you looked at your driveshaft & axleshaft angles? Did you get an allighnment since the lift? Does braking change it?

You really need to do some of your own troubleshooting or else you'll never know if these people are pulling the wool over your eyes. Get involved.

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 07:36 PM

Garage
Quote:
I found this on the Zone website:
The factory Electric Power Assisted Steering (EPAS) is sensitive to out-of-round, out-of-balance, overly aggressive tires. Depending on the situation, some oscillating feedback in the steering wheel maybe experienced
Zone Offroad 5.5" Suspension System C39
FWIW, I'm running Nitto Terra Grapplers with my Zone lift, and I don't have this problem.
BFG All Terrains aren't any more aggressive, so I wouldn't think you'd have any probs either.
Regardless of what the tire shop said, I'd check your wheels yourself for excessive weights.
A lotta weight on a particular wheel means an out of round tire, or a tire carcass out of balance(from the factory).
If you spot one(or more) with to many wheel weights, take the truck back and demand they swap the tire(s) out.
Discount Tire(here in Kalifornistan at least) is generally really good about that kinda stuff.
Heck, they'll even take tires back within a certain period of time simply because you're not happy with 'em.

2016 Colorado 2.8L D-max, Crew Cab, Long Bed, Z71, 4WD.
ZONE 5.5" Suspension Lift
Moto Metal 970 17x8.5"
Nitto Terra G-G2s, 295/70/17

Last edited by yokev; 01-11-2017 at 07:42 PM.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 12:10 AM

Garage
You should have your tires road forced balanced it will tell you if you have a bad wheel or tire it measures run out of the wheel and tire assembly I used one when I worked at the Cadillac dealer back in the day the machine has a air bag on it that pushes a roller down onto the tire which acts like a vehicle driving down the road.

2016 black GMC Canyon 2.8 duramax long bed 4x4
Ready lift 2" leveling kit
18x9 black/machined moto metal 970's
275/65/18 nitto terra grappler g2
N-FAB steps
Gen5diy daytime running light disable harness
Morimoto 6500k HIDS 35w ballast canbus harness
Limo tinted
EFI live tuning by Aaron at all In truck performance
TCM tuning by Aaron at all in truck performance
Custom 3" exhaust

More to come soon....
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 05:43 PM

I have been experiencing this issue for a long time. I have been chasing a solution for a long time. I have conferred with 4 Wheel Parts and off road savvy friends, the issue is the tires. The electronic power steering on these trucks is programmed for a 35 lb. highway tire, not a 50 lb. semi-aggressive AT tire. These trucks are also rack & pinion which means that it is very easy for bumps in the road to be transferred from the tires/wheels into the steering rack. Occasionally, the electronic steering does not know how to handle the bumps in the road, leading to the vibration in turns as the steering wheel does not know what position it should be in.
I am running massive tires, 285/75r16, for this truck. Smaller sidewall/softer tires can alleviate the vibrations. I will soon be switching to 18" wheels with a much less aggressive tire. The KO2s are notorious for causing shaking/vibrating as well.
Hoping this answered some questions.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 12:32 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff GMC View Post
I have been experiencing this issue for a long time. I have been chasing a solution for a long time. I have conferred with 4 Wheel Parts and off road savvy friends, the issue is the tires. The electronic power steering on these trucks is programmed for a 35 lb. highway tire, not a 50 lb. semi-aggressive AT tire. These trucks are also rack & pinion which means that it is very easy for bumps in the road to be transferred from the tires/wheels into the steering rack. Occasionally, the electronic steering does not know how to handle the bumps in the road, leading to the vibration in turns as the steering wheel does not know what position it should be in.
I am running massive tires, 285/75r16, for this truck. Smaller sidewall/softer tires can alleviate the vibrations. I will soon be switching to 18" wheels with a much less aggressive tire. The KO2s are notorious for causing shaking/vibrating as well.
Hoping this answered some questions.

I partially agree with this.... yes, the bigger, heavier, more aggressive tires are the issue. But, if your balancing and alignment are spot on, then you should be good (or at least better than you are now). I'm running 325/50/22 M/T's and only get a slight vibe on slow curves. Before that, I had 33x12.5x20 M/T's and had ZERO issues with vibes.

-SPONSORS-
| BAJA DESIGNS |

2015 Colorado Z71 4x4

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 04:14 PM

Garage
A local shop in Ft Collins said they had to reprogram the electronic steering to resolve the shake in a 6' lift they installed on a 16 colorado. it would shake turning to the right a low speeds and turning to the left at higher speeds. something about re zeroing the electronic center of the rack. it took them a few attempts to determine the issue. They had to call in a programmer that loaded a modded Chevy ECU flash.

here is their number:

Address: 1713 Willox Ct d,
Fort Collins, CO 80524
Phone:(970) 224-1133
Hours: Open today · 8AM–5PM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode