SCC Super Z6 Snow Cables - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By GregDAP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 01:52 AM Thread Starter

SCC Super Z6 Snow Cables

Planning a trip up to Mammoth Mountain from SoCal in my 16 Canyon.
California has rules that requires that drivers must carry chains during winter weather on certain mountain roads or run the risk of being turned around at Chain Control checkpoints regardless of 4WD.

Reading Through a couple posts here and the internets, there really isn't much info on chains that would fit on the Twins.
The manual says not to use chains and to "Use another type of traction device" because of clearance issues.

They weren't kidding: There is maybe less than an inch on the Driver's Rear between the parking brake cable and tire sidewall.

There isn't an much of an issue on the Passenger Rear as the Parking brake cable is routed along the rear axle.

Hope to never have to used these, but they seemed easy enough to put on. SCC's Super Z Cables are designed for limited clearance and exceed class "S" Wheel well specs. Which I guess the Twins are not.
I Have a 2016 Canyon SLT. The Tire Size is 265/60-r18. The SCC Model I have is SZ441. The Reviews on Amazon are kind of mixed and other than buying a set of real snow tires I'm not sure of other options.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RLUWN9g.jpg (235.4 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg NzRhH8s.jpg (155.9 KB, 123 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 02:06 AM Thread Starter

Meant to Post this to 2nd Gen Wheels and Tires. My apologies @08Canyon can I get a move?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 10:06 AM

Can the inside portion be tightened up so the outside cable couplers are on the tire vs at the lip of your wheel?

I would also look to see if there's an emergency brake line cable bracket that can be bent to provide more clearance.

That cable shouldn't be that close to the tire, seems like something's not setup corrrctly.

-mac

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny View Post
Meant to Post this to 2nd Gen Wheels and Tires. My apologies @08Canyon can I get a move?
08Canyon is not a moderator anymore

Moved thread to the proper section
dshawster and macr88 like this.

2011 Colorado CC Z71 2LT 4X4 3.7L with a few mods
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

The snow cables are self tightening and self centering, so this is the position they want to be in. I jacked up the back end and spun the wheel by hand everything is close and snow cable didn't want to move.

Don't have anyone elses parking brake cable to reference but it it appears the cable exits the wheel at the designed angle there isn't any slack in the system. I might tweak the bracket a little and secure with a zip tie but another obstacle in there is the leaf spring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macr88 View Post
Can the inside portion be tightened up so the outside cable couplers are on the tire vs at the lip of your wheel?

I would also look to see if there's an emergency brake line cable bracket that can be bent to provide more clearance.

That cable shouldn't be that close to the tire, seems like something's not setup corrrctly.

-mac
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170109_135720_1484075326029.jpg (82.0 KB, 71 views)
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 06:42 PM

I too, am in Socal and planning a trip to Mammoth! Looking at the options for chains or cables even though I won't use them...

I picked up a set of what ended up being Trail Boss take-offs with 265/65/17 Duratracs which are snowflake / severe snow rated. At the point in which they actually make me put chains/cables on, they will more than likely have shut down the road already.

That being said... I still need to CARRY them or I'll get stuck...

This might be a complete faux pas, BUT... with a 4wd... what about putting the cables in the front and treating it almost like a FWD cable setup? Will it clear everything there? Bonus being that it will improve braking and turning as well =P
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 07:20 PM

i think you'll be needing flotation also
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexaddict6 View Post
This might be a complete faux pas, BUT... with a 4wd... what about putting the cables in the front and treating it almost like a FWD cable setup? Will it clear everything there? Bonus being that it will improve braking and turning as well =P
The manual says:

Code:
If you do find traction devices that will fit, install them on the rear tires....Install them on the tires of the rear axle. Do not use chains on the tires of the front axle.
So I dont know, might be a traction control thing?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 06:37 PM

aahh - traction control would make sense... dangit. I need to find something that will fit and that I can get in short order - mammoth is this weekend!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 07:21 PM

just ordered a set of the same for my truck. The fitment guide on amazon had a different part number for it than the 4wheelparts guy did for the tire size that I have (265 65 17) - but he checked his guide twice before placing the order.

I don't anticipate ever needing it as I have the Duratracs with the snowflake on them - but CA requires me to carry them or I'll get stopped... sooooo... now they're ordered...
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

I picked up mine from 4wheenparts they have a huge depot in Compton. Price is little higher at $123 but I have them. Going up on Thursday should be a interesting ride. Enjoy the fresh powder!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 10:17 AM

I purchased the Z-Cable Light Truck, SUV Tire Chains at Pep Boys. Reg $99.99 on sale for $84.99 OTD w/tax $92.43 Part Number ZT741 SKU 8237209

My truck is a 2016 WT tire size 265 70 R16 - As others have stated parking brake cable is close.

Installation is easy. Chains are split on the outside no need to drive on just slide under from rear. Lot of install videos on You Tube.

Notes, when you hook the rear chain link make sure it is flat and not twisted, clearance is close but does not interfere with brake cable.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode