Question on tire load rating - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By MontanaSteve

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Question on tire load rating

I'm about to pull the trigger on some Fuel wheels and Cooper Discoverer AT3 tires - 265-65-17. However, Cooper offers several different variations. For reference, I have a Z71 crew cab, do not intend to tow, but do intend to utilize bed payload for overlanding type use (RTT over the bed, plenty of gear) with some light off-roading (gravel/dirt fire roads; no rock crawling if I can help it).

LT265/65R17, 10 ply, load rating E, load index 120R
265/65R17, 8 ply, load rating SL, load index 112T

Local tire shop is recommending the 8 ply if I'm not towing. Do you agree?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 07:50 PM
KMW

Yep. 10 ply is more than you need and will just give you a little harder ride. 8 ply will be plenty for your load and still ride nice.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 07:54 PM

Absolutely agree with the tire shop. Ten ply tires are for the big diesels towing or carrying massive loads. They're much heavier than an eight ply, and will definitely impact your mileage. I had ten ply tires (and put them to use) on my old Ford, but am specifically avoiding anything that heavy on this truck.

2017 CCLB Duramax Z71 4x4, Autosprings 2.5" kit w/AAL
Sold - 2002 F250 XCLB 7.3L Powerstroke, perfectly modified, but not child seat friendly

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 08:20 PM

Load range E are usually a much harder compound for heat resistance as well. Between the stiff sidewalls and hard compound, they suck in snow and off road. Not that great in the rain either...........
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Great, 8 ply it is. Thanks everyone for the feedback!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 10:30 PM

Garage
8 ply
The 10 ply are better for 3/4 - 1 ton trucks

'16 EC LB 3.6L V-6
2" RC leveling kit & 1.25" RC body lift
Airdam delete
Raptorliner DIY bedliner
Method Grid Wheels -Special Thanks to JT@Bajakits with stainless beadlock bolts
Falken Wildpeak AT3 265/70/17
NFAB W2W nerf bars/steps
OEM fog light kit
OEM fender flares

As soon as $$ permits...Bajakits Upper A-arms and King coilovers and rear shocks.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 03:14 PM

Would this be the same for the 2.8l colorados as well... I have always had 1 ton diesels and just assumed i would need to keep buying 10 ply tires. Thanks
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 03:40 PM

I think that 112 load index is most likely a load range C which is commonly thought of as a 6 ply tire.

None the less I would highly recommend the lighter weight tire, same as everyone else has.

The load range E is a 10 ply tire and designed for up to 80psi and would not only beat you up in the truck it would likely cause some added wear and tear on your steering and suspension components on your truck. I never recommend a load range E for a small or mid size truck.

2016 Colorado Dmax 4x4 White LT
Mods:
Icon Stage V Suspension
1" rear lift blocks
Fuel Black Anza 18x8 Rims
Toyo Open County AT 285/60/18 tires
Duramax Tuner tune and Trans tune
Drop in bed liner and rubber Chevy mat
Black bow ties
Black OEM fender flairs
Custom built lighted headache rack and rails
Westin Brute crossover tool box

Other vehicles:
2015 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 White Laramie
2011 Toyota Land Cruiser 4x4 White
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 11:47 PM

Tire Load Index Chart | Tires Plus

2005 White 2wd Z71 WT
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 12:22 AM

Garage
The SL tires are 'P(assenger)' rated, or the same rating that car tires get.
IIRC, they're only like 4 ply.
'LT' stands for 'Light Truck', for good reason.
IMO, you shouldn't be going with anything less than 'C' rated tires when you're gonna be carrying some decent weight in your bed. Not to mention you're gonna have better protection throughout the carcass-something to think about off-road.
FWIW, I have Nitto Terra G's that are 'E' rated, and they're only a few pounds heavier than the next smallest size-which was either a C or D rated tire IIRC.
My mileage doesn't suffer either.
Whatever...they're not for everyone, but if you're given a choice between P and E,and you don't want E's, go with another brand/model.

2016 Colorado 2.8L D-max, Crew Cab, Long Bed, Z71, 4WD.
ZONE 5.5" Suspension Lift
Moto Metal 970 17x8.5"
Nitto Terra G-G2s, 295/70/17
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokev View Post
The SL tires are 'P(assenger)' rated, or the same rating that car tires get...
'LT' stands for 'Light Truck', for good reason.
You can go by those very vague guidelines, or you can run some calculations...

I'm away from my truck, so I had to pull numbers from interwebs. The heaviest listed curb weight for our trucks is 4528 lbs.
The max payload is 1581 lbs. Add those together and get 6109 lbs. Split that between four wheels and get 1527 lbs/wheel.

A SL-rated (112 load index) P-series tire has a load rating of 2469 lbs at 35 psi. A XL-rated (116 load index) P-series tire has a load rating of 2756 lbs at 40 psi. Either one of those way more than covers the theoretical max load of 1627 lbs per wheel for our trucks, especially for what the OP said his intentions were - he's not high-speed desert pre-running or adding air bags and packing a payload-exceeding camper.

As for tire weights, I took a quick look at the Falken AT3W specs, as I'll be getting a set of those soon. The same exact tire sizes, in P-rated versus LT E-rated, adds 6-7 lbs/tire to go to the LT E-rated version. That's a 15% increase, and there is no way in hell that increase doesn't adversely impact gas mileage.

Unless aired down tremendously, E-rated tires suck on rough rocky terrain. Been there, done that.

Sold - 2002 F250 XCLB 7.3L Powerstroke, perfectly modified, but not child seat friendly
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 02:04 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaSteve View Post
You can go by those very vague guidelines, or you can run some calculations...

I'm away from my truck, so I had to pull numbers from interwebs. The heaviest listed curb weight for our trucks is 4528 lbs.
The max payload is 1581 lbs. Add those together and get 6109 lbs. Split that between four wheels and get 1527 lbs/wheel.

A SL-rated (112 load index) P-series tire has a load rating of 2469 lbs at 35 psi. A XL-rated (116 load index) P-series tire has a load rating of 2756 lbs at 40 psi. Either one of those way more than covers the theoretical max load of 1627 lbs per wheel for our trucks, especially for what the OP said his intentions were - he's not high-speed desert pre-running or adding air bags and packing a payload-exceeding camper.

As for tire weights, I took a quick look at the Falken AT3W specs, as I'll be getting a set of those soon. The same exact tire sizes, in P-rated versus LT E-rated, adds 6-7 lbs/tire to go to the LT E-rated version. That's a 15% increase, and there is no way in hell that increase doesn't adversely impact gas mileage.

Unless aired down tremendously, E-rated tires suck on rough rocky terrain. Been there, done that.
I don't want to get into a debate over this, as I've learned long ago that no matter what you write, somebody is gonna insist they know better, and will want to 'debate' it til they convince you. I'm not interested, so I will answer your post once, then let it go.
Firstly, EVERY model has its own weight rating, i.e. two different manufacturer/model 'C' rated tires could vary as much as a couple hundred pounds or more. Manufacturers list these specifics for their individual tires on their websites.
This therefore is the best place to find out the CORRECT INFO on the tire(s) you're interested in.
As far as P-tires on trucks is concerned
The main reason why I stay away from 'P'assenger rated tires on my truck is being designed for passenger cars, they don't have any over-load designed in. For that reason, you need to deduct around 10% of their max rating when using them on SUVs/Vans/TRUCKs.
LT tires DO have over-load(reserve) built into them.
If you drive a pickup and use it as it was designed to be used, then you should use LT tires end of story. Contrary to what you seem to think, that doesn't mean E rated or 10-ply-although the extra '6-7lbs'ea/24-28lbs total added weight certainly doesn't add up to a noticeable loss in mileage . Not with the HD's, and not on my Colorado 2.8L. Both motors have more than enough torque to alleviate the extra 28-whopping-pounds, provided you're not running said tires at uber low pressures. What can alter mileage quite easily, is dumping air pressure.
I run mine around 55psi, and they've never cost me any mileage
As I said in my earlier post, LT's also come in 'C' and 'D' ratings, but in any event, they're designed to be used on trucks, thus carrying and towing extra weight, and some models add an off-road capability as well.
I've spelled it out quite clearly I think, in BOTH of my posts.
I can't make it any more clearer, and I'm not interested in debating the issue.
Good luck to the OP with whatever tires you choose.
i'm mooooovin on

2016 Colorado 2.8L D-max, Crew Cab, Long Bed, Z71, 4WD.
ZONE 5.5" Suspension Lift
Moto Metal 970 17x8.5"
Nitto Terra G-G2s, 295/70/17
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 03:19 AM

I've never had a problem running P rated tires. I'm running Nitto Terra G2's that are P rated. I wanted to get the BFG T/A 2's, but they don't come in P rated, and these Nitto's were TEN lbs lighter per tire. I don't know how much of a difference that makes in mpg's, but less unsprung mass makes a huge difference in handling. I don't tow though, but do run my motorcycle to the track. I feel that the P rated tires are plenty sufficient for my needs.

Last edited by Airwolf79; 01-20-2017 at 01:19 PM.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 07:02 AM

@yokev - we'll agree to disagree. Cheers.
Airwolf79 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode