Anyone here have a BDS lift kit installed? - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

Anyone here have a BDS lift kit installed?

My local Off-Road shop is highly rated, very popular and they do great work. They exclusively are a BDS suspension installer and I discussed a Colorado/Canyon lift with them at their shop. If anyone has had one of these kits installed, I'd like to hear about it. I have read good reviews and seen several videos of these kits and the modification does involve some cutting and trimming from the OEM configuration. If I decide to get a Colorado/Canyon, I'd really like to lift it. The ZR2 will be a great rig but I don't need to do any serious off-roading, a lifted Z-71 or Canyon would be fine. I just love the looks of these trucks when they are lifted, very nice. Looking forward to hearing about BDS suspension.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 11:36 AM

Jettcity: My 2016 Colorado Z71 came with a dealer installed BDS 5.5" lift, the cheaper of the two kits that reuses the factory coil-overs by adding extensions. It is important to note the following notes from BDS: "Stock 17" & 18" wheels can not be reinstalled with the lift kit. Aftermarket 20" wheels with maximum of 5.25" Backspacing are recommended - certain wheel and tire combinations will require weld on steering stops, these are included in the kit." This is because the kit uses new, taller knuckles to preserve the A arm geometry up front. I still have to order my full-size spare and try and sell the old one; the new one will not fit under the back so this is another challenge; finding a place for the spare.

As I bought the truck with the kit installed, I can't comment on the change in ride. The thing is a pickup truck so I expect the suspension at the back to be a little hard when the bed is empty. My truck is really stable at highway speeds and cornering so I'm really happy with the ride. There is cutting involved; take a look at the instruction manual on the BDS website; there is some frame cutting required and some simpler trimming of the bottom front ends of the front wheel wells. The Colorado/Canyon front wheel wells are tight; I put Bushwackers on and the driver's side front tire rubs occasionally on the bottom rear part of the flares. Before the flares were added all was OK.

I hope this helps.

Rick 2016 Colorado Z71 Crew Cab, long bed
BDS 5.5" lift, Fuel Vector 20x9 rims, Toyo Open Country AT II Extreme 305/55R20 tires
Bushwacker pocket fender flares
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

What size wheels and tires do you have, I am looking at possibly getting a lift but I'll need to find the right wheel tire combination or this will not be happening. Obviously I would like to find a combination that will fit without any problems with a BDS kit installation.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 07:06 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jettcity View Post
My local Off-Road shop is highly rated, very popular and they do great work. They exclusively are a BDS suspension installer and I discussed a Colorado/Canyon lift with them at their shop. If anyone has had one of these kits installed, I'd like to hear about it. I have read good reviews and seen several videos of these kits and the modification does involve some cutting and trimming from the OEM configuration. If I decide to get a Colorado/Canyon, I'd really like to lift it. The ZR2 will be a great rig but I don't need to do any serious off-roading, a lifted Z-71 or Canyon would be fine. I just love the looks of these trucks when they are lifted, very nice. Looking forward to hearing about BDS suspension.

There are probably 20+ people on here running this kit (myself included). What exactly is that you want to know? I mean, it's a pretty standard diff-drop/spacer lift kit... and if you're having a shop install it, it should be as simple as using BDS's reference notes for wheel/tire size recommendations, or browsing through the forum to see what other people are running.

Here's a good place to start:

LIFTED Colorado/Canyons

-SPONSORS-
| BAJA DESIGNS |
| BDS-SUSPENSIONS | KILLERWAXX SOCAL |
| LIVERNOIS MOTORSPORTS | RHINO-RACK |

2015 Colorado Z71 4x4
BDS Suspensions 7" lift | 22x12 -44 Grid Off-Road GD-4
325/50/22 Cooper Discoverer STT Pro

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 06:32 PM

Ouch! I just ordered my full size spare; a 20" Fuel Vector (D57920909452), a Toyo AT2 Open Country 305/55R20 and a TPMS sensor; CAD$1073.55 (including taxes) so if going this route or similar, budget for CAD$5300+/- for five new wheels. I also ordered my Wilco Hitchgate Classic, offset, complete with license plate relocation kit, another CAD$1422.37 (including taxes). I do plan to go off road so the full-size spare and somewhere to put it are not an option. I'll post pics!

Rick 2016 Colorado Z71 Crew Cab, long bed
BDS 5.5" lift, Fuel Vector 20x9 rims, Toyo Open Country AT II Extreme 305/55R20 tires
Bushwacker pocket fender flares
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode