Can I make the LED signature lights function as the DRL system? - Page 2 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 227 (permalink) Old 04-20-2015, 07:03 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tharptx View Post
I too expected to have "LED DRLs" for my Canyon. I'd love to find a write-up on how to make these signature LEDs run as the solo DRLs, or just with the DRLs if the first isn't possible.

I've been searching this forum left and right and this seems to be the only thread on this topic. Hard to believe the genius DIYers on this forum haven't tackled this yet (not being sarcastic if it sounds that way). Or has it been done and I'm just missing it somewhere?
Nope. I haven't seen anyone figure it out yet.

Looking at the manual, there is no fuses for DRLs; only the L&R high beams... I suppose if you wanted to you could unplug the ambient light sensor from the wiring harness and trick the truck to thinking that it's dark out all the time.

That wouldn't be my first choice though. Someone else better than me at electrical and lighting might figure this out when more people have Canyons

2015 Canyon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 227 (permalink) Old 04-20-2015, 07:46 PM

I was also fully expecting the LED light strips to be the DRL's and was disappointed to find out that they were not and that there was no way to use them as such. I was also surprised to discover that only one half of the strip lights up. This is more noticeable during the day, because at night the light carries through the whole strip.
Stansuski likes this.
post #23 of 227 (permalink) Old 04-20-2015, 11:30 PM

Garage
GM likes to wire the headlight low beams in series to drop voltage for DRL use. You need to be real careful and fully understand the circuit before trying to tap anything else into it such as the LED strips. They do this with a convoluted array of relays where the low beams are in series with only 1 ground for both bulbs. That effectively splits the available 14 volts to 7 v for each low beam bulb during DRL operation. For full power changeover, the other headlight gets its ground completed by another relay, which now makes them in parallel.

2015 Colorado Z71 | Black | CC | SB | 2wd | 3.6 | Bose | Nav | Tow | Factory Spray On Bedliner | LED Bed Lighting | 30" Rigid LED Lightbar | G4 Fold-a-Cover & Caddy | Dash Cam/Rear Cam | Ready Lift 2" Front with Sway Bar Blocks | Auto Spring Add A Leaf | BFG KO2 265/70 17

post #24 of 227 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagebob View Post
GM likes to wire the headlight low beams in series to drop voltage for DRL use. You need to be real careful and fully understand the circuit before trying to tap anything else into it such as the LED strips. They do this with a convoluted array of relays where the low beams are in series with only 1 ground for both bulbs. That effectively splits the available 14 volts to 7 v for each low beam bulb during DRL operation. For full power changeover, the other headlight gets its ground completed by another relay, which now makes them in parallel.
Does this diagram reflect what you are saying? This diagram is effectively just one relay, so I'm guessing the real circuit is more complicated based on what you said above. Do you have an actual Canyon circuit diagram for reference or are you just speaking from experience?

Does anyone know what voltage the signature LED strips need?
Attached Images
File Type: png DRLcircuit.png (12.9 KB, 144 views)

Last edited by tharptx; 04-21-2015 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Diagram not displaying correctly.
post #25 of 227 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 11:15 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tharptx View Post
Does this diagram reflect what you are saying? This diagram is effectively just one relay, so I'm guessing the real circuit is more complicated based on what you said above. Do you have an actual Canyon circuit diagram for reference or are you just speaking from experience?

Does anyone know what voltage the signature LED strips need?
That is exactly how they work. I was going by memory from my S10 ZR2 wiring. Your diagram shows the same being done with a gang switch instead of a couple of relays. I haven't looked at the Twins headlight diagram. I would assume they would use the BCM internal switching to control all the lighting. Still likely that they are series daytime and parallel nightime, but not with the simple switch arrangement in your diagram. Diagrams are here: GM UPFITTER - Body Builder Manuals Go to "1/T Mid Sized Truck" LED Strips should be 12v. They usually connect enough LED's in series to get a suitable voltage/current drop from 12v to ~ 3v per LED. They may have a driver board that they are mounted on.

2015 Colorado Z71 | Black | CC | SB | 2wd | 3.6 | Bose | Nav | Tow | Factory Spray On Bedliner | LED Bed Lighting | 30" Rigid LED Lightbar | G4 Fold-a-Cover & Caddy | Dash Cam/Rear Cam | Ready Lift 2" Front with Sway Bar Blocks | Auto Spring Add A Leaf | BFG KO2 265/70 17

Last edited by savagebob; 04-21-2015 at 11:19 PM.
post #26 of 227 (permalink) Old 04-25-2015, 07:17 PM

Garage
I love that my Turn signal/parking lights are the DRL's on my "355" !!!
Wish it was the same on my "700" !!!

" Diamond"
2015 Chevrolet Colorado LT , Ext. Cab
Silver Ice Metallic
3.6 V6 DOHC 6 Speed Auto.
17" Blade Silver Metallic Aluminum Wheels
3:42 Gear G80 Auto. Locking Rear with Tow Package
8" Mylink Entertainment Center
GM Performance Exhaust
post #27 of 227 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 12:05 PM

I haven't bought mine yet, but that's what made me really want the canyon over the Colorado. I thought they were LED drls. That's dumb on GMs part.
post #28 of 227 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 01:24 PM

Garage
Any new updates on this? Anyone have any luck with the dealers? I've got my first oil change coming up soon, and will be handing them a list of stuff to look at / fix at the same time (including this).
post #29 of 227 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 01:29 PM

Any chance you can provide the list. Might be some things on there I would consider next time I bring it in.

Mods: hood protector | in-channel visors | tinted windows | LED Headlights | LED interior lights | LED footwell lights | brake controller | painted bow-ties | debadged | bump step | terrain hx steps | painted calipers | painted interior trim | seat covers | Z71 grille | AT3 Falkens
post #30 of 227 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 01:32 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokiri View Post
Any chance you can provide the list. Might be some things on there I would consider next time I bring it in.
1. Seat Recall
2. Brake Recall
3. Airbag wiring Recall? (my truck falls within the build date window, but does not come up by searching my VIN)
4. Squealing brakes
5. Steering Wheel rattle
6. LED DRLs
7. Windshield wiper arm angle (driver's side)
8. Right Rear door harder to close than other three
post #31 of 227 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpfontenot View Post
1. Seat Recall
2. Brake Recall
3. Airbag wiring Recall? (my truck falls within the build date window, but does not come up by searching my VIN)
4. Squealing brakes
5. Steering Wheel rattle
6. LED DRLs
7. Windshield wiper arm angle (driver's side)
8. Right Rear door harder to close than other three
1. I got called in for the seat recall, thankfully everything checked out fine.
4. Also dealt with the squealing brakes for a little while (had truck since December), but can't say I've noticed it any time recently. Had them checked during a routine inspection, and again after having a few close calls and having to put them to the floor. Checked out fine both times.
6. Might look into.

As for the rest guess I've been pretty lucky. One thing I did run into recently though is a small rust spot. Tried microfiber cloth, wax, and my fingernail but no luck. Took it up to the service department and they said it was most likely from transport on the rails. Took around 3-4 hours but couldn't even tell where it was at after they were done. So give a nice close walk over, and make sure that's not something you need to add to the list.

Mods: hood protector | in-channel visors | tinted windows | LED Headlights | LED interior lights | LED footwell lights | brake controller | painted bow-ties | debadged | bump step | terrain hx steps | painted calipers | painted interior trim | seat covers | Z71 grille | AT3 Falkens
post #32 of 227 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 02:52 PM

Garage
Quote:
Any new updates on this? Anyone have any luck with the dealers? I've got my first oil change coming up soon, and will be handing them a list of stuff to look at / fix at the same time (including this).
Quick update:

I sent an email to cac@gmc.com about the issue. They called me back, but I couldn't answer the phone at the time. He left a reference number and his name. I called back, but they wouldn't use the reference number. I explained the issue to the lady that answered, and she proceeded to try and look through the manual for an answer to my issue (not that helpful). After she (shockingly) couldn't find an answer, she told me that my best solution was to take it to a dealer so that they could diagnose the issue.

I'm anticipating a bit of run around on this one...
post #33 of 227 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 02:10 PM

Garage
Quote:
Quick update:

I sent an email to cac@gmc.com about the issue. They called me back, but I couldn't answer the phone at the time. He left a reference number and his name. I called back, but they wouldn't use the reference number. I explained the issue to the lady that answered, and she proceeded to try and look through the manual for an answer to my issue (not that helpful). After she (shockingly) couldn't find an answer, she told me that my best solution was to take it to a dealer so that they could diagnose the issue.

I'm anticipating a bit of run around on this one...
Another quick follow up:

I just got another call from GMC CS, and the rep told me that he got in contact with my dealer about the issue. Apparently the dealer told him that they can reprogram the computer (I'm assuming he meant BCM) to fix the issue.

I'm not overly confident that this is actually going to happen. I explained to the CS rep that this is not an issue with just my truck, but an apparent design change on every Canyon. He didn't know anything about that though. I'll let you know what happens when I bring it in.
Johnnyp23 likes this.
post #34 of 227 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 05:49 PM

It is annoying they don't use the LEDs as DRLs. With the Audi A4 I had before this, I was able to connect to the onboard computers with a cable and change all kinds of stuff....one of them being the DRLs. I was able to change them so they didn't "wink" (i.e. turn off when turn signal was active), change their brightness, etc..
jeter33 and Canyon0816 like this.
post #35 of 227 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 07:16 PM

Send a message via AIM to DuckFarmer
I'm glad I'm not the only one that's noticed this and is annoyed by this. The LEDs are essentially useless, because they only come on when the park lights are on. I would run the park lights when I drive during the day, but I'm not a fan of having the amber turn signal lights on with the LEDs, not to mention the interior dash lights come on when the park lights are on, too. What needs to happen is the LED strips need to come on as DRLs, with the dash lights and amber turn signal lights off. Then have the LEDs off and the amber lights on when the park lights are turned on.

GM really got this all ****** up.

Andy

2015 GMC Canyon Crew Cab Long Box All Terrain 4x4
3.6 V6 | Onyx Black | Leer truck cap | 2" leveling kit | 265/70R17 Falken Wildpeak AT3 all terrains |

Old truck (RIP)
2007 GMC Canyon SLE Crew Cab Z71 4x4
3.7L I5 Auto | Summit White | A.R.E. truck cap | Westin running boards | Air Lift adjustable air springs | General Grabber AT2 All Terrains |
post #36 of 227 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 08:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
Another quick follow up:

I just got another call from GMC CS, and the rep told me that he got in contact with my dealer about the issue. Apparently the dealer told him that they can reprogram the computer (I'm assuming he meant BCM) to fix the issue.

I'm not overly confident that this is actually going to happen. I explained to the CS rep that this is not an issue with just my truck, but an apparent design change on every Canyon. He didn't know anything about that though. I'll let you know what happens when I bring it in.

I just dropped my Canyon off at the dealership to get its first oil change and to have similar items looked at for warranty work. I brought a printout of this post about the LED DRL's to see if they can reprogram them as CS rep stated for you. I will know in a few days if they were successful and will let everyone know....keep fingers crossed it is just a programming step :)

2015 GMC Canyon Ext Cab All Terrain 3.6L V6 Auto
post #37 of 227 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 09:16 PM

Garage
Claybar will take the rail dust rest spots out.

CSG from Minnesota...
post #38 of 227 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 11:29 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenCoColorado View Post
It is annoying they don't use the LEDs as DRLs. With the Audi A4 I had before this, I was able to connect to the onboard computers with a cable and change all kinds of stuff....one of them being the DRLs. I was able to change them so they didn't "wink" (i.e. turn off when turn signal was active), change their brightness, etc..
And did you use the Ross Tech software to do this? GM doesn't provide dealers with selections that don't come standard or as options in the vehicles. You can get BCM re configured to recognize fog lights that you installed, but they can't make LED's operate beyond what the engineers are allowing them to do.

post #39 of 227 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 11:52 PM

I surely hope that GM are paying attention to this site and working on some additions to the twins. This would be GREAT if they could make this happen but I don't think they are listening.
post #40 of 227 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagebob View Post
And did you use the Ross Tech software to do this? GM doesn't provide dealers with selections that don't come standard or as options in the vehicles. You can get BCM re configured to recognize fog lights that you installed, but they can't make LED's operate beyond what the engineers are allowing them to do.
I did. I'm implying that it would be nice if GM had the same capability and the engineers made things possible via selections in the computer modules. The VAG-COM cable is an amazing tool in the VW/Audi world. Changing options, performing maintenance, diagnostic logging, etc..
myvolkie likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode