Can I make the LED signature lights function as the DRL system? - Page 3 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 52Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 228 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 11:56 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenCoColorado View Post
I did. I'm implying that it would be nice if GM had the same capability and the engineers made things possible via selections in the computer modules. The VAG-COM cable is an amazing tool in the VW/Audi world. Changing options, performing maintenance, diagnostic logging, etc..
The Germans are a bit more advanced with their software capabilities. I used to have quite a few conversations via VW/Audi forums with Uwe Ross when he was designing the software. It is one of the bargains of the scan tool industry.

2015 Colorado Z71 | Black | CC | SB | 2wd | 3.6 | Bose | Nav | Tow | Factory Spray On Bedliner | LED Bed Lighting | 30" Rigid LED Lightbar | G4 Fold-a-Cover & Caddy | Dash Cam/Rear Cam | Ready Lift 2" Front with Sway Bar Blocks | Auto Spring Add A Leaf | BFG KO2 265/70 17
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 228 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 09:16 AM

Garage
Canyon LED DRLs

I couldn't find another thread with this particular question. If I missed it, feel free to point me to it. Has anyone looked into making the LED lights on the Canyon come on and function as the DRLs like they do on the Sierra?
ARGMC likes this.
post #43 of 228 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 10:10 AM

Garage

post #44 of 228 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNFurb View Post
I couldn't find another thread with this particular question. If I missed it, feel free to point me to it. Has anyone looked into making the LED lights on the Canyon come on and function as the DRLs like they do on the Sierra?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatRacer View Post
Thanks Rat....

Also - thread title changed to match thread content
TNFurb likes this.
post #45 of 228 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 09:23 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jot1teg View Post
I just dropped my Canyon off at the dealership to get its first oil change and to have similar items looked at for warranty work. I brought a printout of this post about the LED DRL's to see if they can reprogram them as CS rep stated for you. I will know in a few days if they were successful and will let everyone know....keep fingers crossed it is just a programming step :)
Were they able to reprogram them jot1teg?
post #46 of 228 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 10:58 AM

Garage
Unfortunately not at this time. They have submitted the request to GM to see if there is a way to do this, but I am guessing not. I will check when I take it back for the next oil change. Really crappy GM advertised it as such for the 2015 models, but noticed the err of their ways when advertising the LED's as "signature lighting" for the 2016 models.

2015 GMC Canyon Ext Cab All Terrain 3.6L V6 Auto
post #47 of 228 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 10:51 AM
CFI

Would be nice if the fog lights illuminated with the LEDs for DRLs. Anyone rig this?
Egearing likes this.
post #48 of 228 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 09:05 PM

Garage
post #49 of 228 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 06:46 AM

bump

this has been bugging the crap out of me !!! ... has anybody heard/seen anything more on the LED as DRL issue ??? ... this seems like such a no brainer for GMC to address, ridiculous they havent yet somehow/somewhere
post #50 of 228 (permalink) Old 10-09-2016, 11:55 AM

I recently bought a '16 Canyon, and the DRL's issue was one of my first complaints with the truck. I've been looking into this issue, and have found a possible work around, assuming people are still bugged by this? I still need to do some digging, and take some measurements of voltage output, as well as amperage draw, but I want to get an idea of what everyone wants before I dive in. What I'm wondering is this:

Is everyone wanting the DRL's to be just the LED accent lights, or would people still consider having the projectors on, while also having the LED accent lights on? It would basically be the same as night operation, but you could leave the light selector switch in auto all the time.

I don't mean to high jack this thread, I can always start a different one if needed, but I thought this would get out to more people based off subscriptions.

Thanks,
J.D.
post #51 of 228 (permalink) Old 10-09-2016, 01:18 PM

I think most of us were looking to just have the LEDs serve as the DRL with no projectors on.
LBert and fritze18 like this.

2015 Canyon SLT Shortbox, Crew Cab, 4WD, Cyber Gray
DONE: Iron Cross HD steps - Diamondback Cover - 35% tint - OEM Splashguards - Husky Liners - Bedrug Mat -Bully Mesh Exhaust Tip- Stubby Jr - AVS BugflectorII - Eibach front struts set to 2" level - DDM HID 55k - Eagle Eyes LED Taillights - LED Interior & Fog lights
TO DO LIST: Line-X - Trifecta Tune
post #52 of 228 (permalink) Old 10-09-2016, 01:49 PM

Garage
I would be into either, prefer the led's to be DRL but anything different would be nice. It look's so 2000's now. You can drive with the parking lights on but then you miss the auto-on lights. Talk about a fumble. They defiantly dropped the ball there. Especially since in the beginning they advertised LED DRL's running lights.
post #53 of 228 (permalink) Old 10-09-2016, 04:09 PM

I would like the accent lights to be the drls instead of the low beam lights. Has anyone found out if there is a way to make the accent lights brighter?
post #54 of 228 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 09:22 AM

I stared at the schematics in the sticky post and I think I have an idea that might work. If it does work, it should be relatively easy to implement in the form of a small harness that goes in-line with the connectors to the headlights.

First, some theory of operation for how each lamp is currently powered with the switch in the "Auto" position:
Day time - Low beams on ~60%, (low beams are PWM for DRL). Parking lamps off.
Night time - Low beams on 100%. Parking lamps on.

The LED signature strips are tied internally to the amber parking lamp within the headlight. Based on the logic above, the parking lamp signal can be used to swap the DRL signal to the parking lamp using a standard automotive relay.

The low beam power from the truck is diverted to the parking lamp/LED signature in the headlight through the normally closed relay contact leaving the low beams off during the day.
At night, the parking lamp signal is activated along with the low beams and this triggers the relay to switch the low beam power to the actual low beams.
The diode prevents the PWM DRL signal from reaching the relay coil and backfeeding the BCM but allows the parking lamps/LED signatures to function day or night.
The optional capacitor shown is used to boost the PWM DRL signal back to full brightness. This would be the same type of capacitor they sell for the HID relay kits to keep them from buzzing. Without it, the LED signature strips would be reduced brightness. I'm not sure how reduced but they're already pretty dim during the day so it's probably a good idea to add the capacitor.
There's another thread with a mod for the parking/turn signal bulbs that basically involves breaking off the terminals that go to the parking lamp filament so only the LED signatures come on. Combine this with that for a full package.

The headlight harness connectors are available from Mouser electronics, I bought all I needed along with relays and diodes off Amazon but haven't had a chance to build a harness yet. Total parts cost for a pair of harnesses was around $20 but I'm hoping someone with a little more knowledge of the truck's electrical system can verify my logic before I blow up my BCM...
k7tnt, yaryarrr, ARGMC and 1 others like this.

2016 Canyon CC LB SLE AT, Cyber Gray
Eibach Pro Truck Sport RHA shocks leveled at 1.4", Access Vanish tonneau cover, Morimoto 2stroke LED headlights
post #55 of 228 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastrd View Post
I stared at the schematics in the sticky post and I think I have an idea that might work. If it does work, it should be relatively easy to implement in the form of a small harness that goes in-line with the connectors to the headlights.

First, some theory of operation for how each lamp is currently powered with the switch in the "Auto" position:
Day time - Low beams on ~60%, (low beams are PWM for DRL). Parking lamps off.
Night time - Low beams on 100%. Parking lamps on.

The LED signature strips are tied internally to the amber parking lamp within the headlight. Based on the logic above, the parking lamp signal can be used to swap the DRL signal to the parking lamp using a standard automotive relay.

The low beam power from the truck is diverted to the parking lamp/LED signature in the headlight through the normally closed relay contact leaving the low beams off during the day.
At night, the parking lamp signal is activated along with the low beams and this triggers the relay to switch the low beam power to the actual low beams.
The diode prevents the PWM DRL signal from reaching the relay coil and backfeeding the BCM but allows the parking lamps/LED signatures to function day or night.
The optional capacitor shown is used to boost the PWM DRL signal back to full brightness. This would be the same type of capacitor they sell for the HID relay kits to keep them from buzzing. Without it, the LED signature strips would be reduced brightness. I'm not sure how reduced but they're already pretty dim during the day so it's probably a good idea to add the capacitor.
There's another thread with a mod for the parking/turn signal bulbs that basically involves breaking off the terminals that go to the parking lamp filament so only the LED signatures come on. Combine this with that for a full package.

The headlight harness connectors are available from Mouser electronics, I bought all I needed along with relays and diodes off Amazon but haven't had a chance to build a harness yet. Total parts cost for a pair of harnesses was around $20 but I'm hoping someone with a little more knowledge of the truck's electrical system can verify my logic before I blow up my BCM...

Call James @ Supermodulation 732-690-6443

He knows alot about these trucks and he was working on a harness for exactly what your trying to do maybe you guys can exchange notes and make this happen!
k7tnt, fritze18 and yaryarrr like this.
post #56 of 228 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 05:46 PM

any updates guys?

2015 GMC Canyon 4x4 SLT v6
post #57 of 228 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 10:42 PM

Garage
Call Jarod at gen5diy.com they specialize in GM lighting they built me a custom harness to remove the daytime running light function he might be able to do something for you tell him Wes sent you he knows me he used my truck for R&D on the harness.
k7tnt likes this.

2016 black GMC Canyon 2.8 duramax long bed 4x4
Ready lift 2" leveling kit
18x9 black/machined moto metal 970's
275/65/18 nitto terra grappler g2
N-FAB steps
Gen5diy daytime running light disable harness
Morimoto 6500k HIDS 35w ballast canbus harness
Limo tinted
EFI live tuning by Aaron at all In truck performance
TCM tuning by Aaron at all in truck performance
Custom 3" exhaust

More to come soon....
post #58 of 228 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 01:19 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramax_canyon View Post
Call Jarod at gen5diy.com they specialize in GM lighting they built me a custom harness to remove the daytime running light function he might be able to do something for you tell him Wes sent you he knows me he used my truck for R&D on the harness.
what was the cost?

Ordered 09/16/16, Built 10/13/16, 10/19/16 Transit to the Dealership! 10/31/16 at the Dealer. 11/06/16 Home. 4x4 Canyon SLT 2.8L Duramax short box, Bronze Alloy Metallica w/ Cocoa Dune interior.
post #59 of 228 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 08:43 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7tnt View Post
what was the cost?
it was $139.99 the harness looked like it came from the factory everything plugged right in no cutting or splicing only connection I had to make was the power wire to the battery for the relays.
k7tnt likes this.

2016 black GMC Canyon 2.8 duramax long bed 4x4
Ready lift 2" leveling kit
18x9 black/machined moto metal 970's
275/65/18 nitto terra grappler g2
N-FAB steps
Gen5diy daytime running light disable harness
Morimoto 6500k HIDS 35w ballast canbus harness
Limo tinted
EFI live tuning by Aaron at all In truck performance
TCM tuning by Aaron at all in truck performance
Custom 3" exhaust

More to come soon....
post #60 of 228 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramax_canyon View Post
it was $139.99 the harness looked like it came from the factory everything plugged right in no cutting or splicing only connection I had to make was the power wire to the battery for the relays.

Did this just remove the DRL feature or did this work to get the LEDs to come on for DRLs. I have a HID kit and have been manually turning the auto feature off every time I'm in my truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode