Can I make the LED signature lights function as the DRL system? - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 227 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 04:58 AM Thread Starter

Can I make the LED signature lights function as the DRL system?

I have checked the Owners Manual and can't seem to find an answer to my question. I have 2015 Canyon SLT and was wondering if there is a way to have the LED Light Strips above and below headlights on as my Daytime Running Lights (DRLs) instead of the projector beam lights. I personally like the appearance of the LED Light strips when illuminated better than the DRLs. Thanks for any assistance.

2015 GMC Canyon SLT 4WD Short Box Summit White with Cocoa/Dune Leather
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 227 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 05:05 PM

Wondering the same thing. I figured the led's were the drl's. Can't figure it out on mine either.
post #3 of 227 (permalink) Old 11-28-2014, 05:25 AM

Daytime Running
Lamps (DRL)
DRL can make it easier for others to
see the front of the vehicle during
the day. Fully functional DRL are
required on all vehicles first sold in
Canada.
The DRL system comes on when
the following conditions are met:
The ignition is on.
The exterior lamp control is
in AUTO.
The transmission is not in
P (Park).
The light sensor determines it is
daytime.
When the DRL system is on, only
the DRL are on. The taillamps,
sidemarker lamps, instrument panel
lights, and other lamps will not
be on.
When it begins to get dark, the
automatic headlamp system
switches from DRL to the
headlamps.

post #4 of 227 (permalink) Old 11-28-2014, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

I submitted a request for help through the GMC Owners center to see if the BCM or whichever computer controls the DRL could be reprogrammed to work like the one o the full size Sierra. I got a call this morning from a customer assistance representative who stated that there was no way to make the signature lights (LEDs) function as DRLs. I asked her some technical questions and clearly she was not trained to answer my questions. I requested that she forward my request to GM Technical Support so that I could speak with someone who understood the lightning system. I was told my e-mail would be forwarded to GM Technical Support. So I will see if I hear from tech support and what answer I will get from them. I will keep this forum posted as to what I hear back.

2015 GMC Canyon SLT 4WD Short Box Summit White with Cocoa/Dune Leather
post #5 of 227 (permalink) Old 11-29-2014, 10:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN 2015 Canyon View Post
I submitted a request for help through the GMC Owners center to see if the BCM or whichever computer controls the DRL could be reprogrammed to work like the one o the full size Sierra. I got a call this morning from a customer assistance representative who stated that there was no way to make the signature lights (LEDs) function as DRLs. I asked her some technical questions and clearly she was not trained to answer my questions. I requested that she forward my request to GM Technical Support so that I could speak with someone who understood the lightning system. I was told my e-mail would be forwarded to GM Technical Support. So I will see if I hear from tech support and what answer I will get from them. I will keep this forum posted as to what I hear back.
I'm curious to see what you find out. Subscribing

"Ideals are peaceful...History is violent"
2015 Cardinal Red Canyon SLT- All Options + Line-X Spray-In Bed Liner - 3M Full Front/Half Hood Clear Bra - ReTrax Pro Retractable Tonneau Cover - 5" Chrome Assist Steps
post #6 of 227 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 03:09 PM

Just turn the dial to parking lamps whenever you drive. It doesn't turn on the projector headlight. It isn't an automated process but it gets the job done for now.
post #7 of 227 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 04:00 PM
ADMIN

Garage
its not going to be in the owners manual but you'll need to create a bypass harness in the fuse box so that the DRLs are not tied into the low beams.

Supermodulation made a harness for the same thing on the 07-12 355s to have the DRLs as the upper turn signal lights as the 04-06 355s did.

2015 Laser Blue Colorado LT
CC, 4X4, V6, SB

Mods:
LED light bar - 32"
HID headlights
LED fog lights
LED high beams
LED reverse lights
LED license plate lights
LED visor lights
LED dome lights
LED switchback front turn signal lights
LED cargo light turn signal conversion
LED bed lights
LED tail lights
LED sidemarkers
Canyon swapped tail lights
Red painted calipers
Supermod ported throttle body
Silver metallic rally stripes
Super Skidz skid plate
Volant CAI

Have a Colorado but want Canyon tail lights? Or vice versa CLICK HERE

***NOTE***
SITE RULES

post #8 of 227 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 02:15 PM

see I like this idea, as with the turn signal lights staying on too..looks awesome.
post #9 of 227 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN 2015 Canyon View Post
I have checked the Owners Manual and can't seem to find an answer to my question. I have 2015 Canyon SLT and was wondering if there is a way to have the LED Light Strips above and below headlights on as my Daytime Running Lights (DRLs) instead of the projector beam lights. I personally like the appearance of the LED Light strips when illuminated better than the DRLs. Thanks for any assistance.
I LOL when I just read this post. This has bothered me since I took delivery in December. I see GMC vehicles everyday with just the LEDs running. I can't understand why this change occurred. I am glad I am not the only one bothered by this particularly when all of the promotional materials touted the LED head lights and most cars/trucks have LED DRL these days. Why this exception? Don't they meet current standards And if not, why not?

2015 Canyon SLT 4X4 V6, CC, SB.
Bronze Alloy Metallic/Cocoa Dune
Ordered 10/8/14 Picked up 12/22/14
post #10 of 227 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 02:14 PM

Subscribed. I also want to find out if there's a way to make them brighter, I don't understand why they are so much dimmer than all the other GMC vehicles out there. If they were any dimmer then they would pretty much be useless even for aesthetic purposes. :/
post #11 of 227 (permalink) Old 03-21-2015, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manyon View Post
Subscribed. I also want to find out if there's a way to make them brighter, I don't understand why they are so much dimmer than all the other GMC vehicles out there. If they were any dimmer then they would pretty much be useless even for aesthetic purposes. :/
Yep. Essentially worthless. You got it.

2015 Canyon SLT 4X4 V6, CC, SB.
Bronze Alloy Metallic/Cocoa Dune
Ordered 10/8/14 Picked up 12/22/14
post #12 of 227 (permalink) Old 03-28-2015, 04:35 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Payload View Post
I LOL when I just read this post. This has bothered me since I took delivery in December. I see GMC vehicles everyday with just the LEDs running. I can't understand why this change occurred. I am glad I am not the only one bothered by this particularly when all of the promotional materials touted the LED head lights and most cars/trucks have LED DRL these days. Why this exception? Don't they meet current standards And if not, why not?
This has bothered me for a while too. Everything seems to indicate that the signature lighting is the LED daytime running lamps. It's odd and it looks like nobody has yet to figure out a way to switch their function around

2015 Canyon
post #13 of 227 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 11:13 AM

I think we should all pester GMC to deliver what they promised. It's clearly stated on the window stickers, LED Daytime Running Lamps. Since the signature lights are the only led's, then they have to be what was intended. They can most likely fix this with a software update. I have submitted the question on the owners site and will write them as well.

If anyone wants to email them: cac@gmc.com
Jnz and Johnnyp23 like this.

Last edited by Mark Cianciulli; 04-03-2015 at 11:35 AM.
post #14 of 227 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 12:18 PM

Garage
I think the only way around it would be a few Bosch Relays (the proverbial electronic ductape) and a dive into the wire colors from a Chilton's Book. and some whiskey.

http://www.classictruckshop.com/club...h/drvlites.jpg

You would need to have about 2-3 circuits to complete it: Always on, When Driving, (and switching between).

As for making the LED brighter....unless you intend to replace the strip, there is no way to make them brighter.

Last edited by drewabbs; 04-03-2015 at 12:21 PM.
post #15 of 227 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 09:31 PM
Jnz

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Cianciulli View Post
I think we should all pester GMC to deliver what they promised. It's clearly stated on the window stickers, LED Daytime Running Lamps. Since the signature lights are the only led's, then they have to be what was intended. They can most likely fix this with a software update. I have submitted the question on the owners site and will write them as well.

If anyone wants to email them: cac@gmc.com

I have to check my window sticker. I just did a Google search and sure enough, there was a window sticker online that did clearly say "LED daytime running lights." That's clearly not what we got. I'm guessing they intended to do that, but the LED's ultimately ended up not being bright enough to qualify, so they switched it?

2015 Canyon SLT CC SB, Cyber Gray, Bose, Nav., Driver Alert, Line-X Spray-on liner, 3" Assist Steps, GM Splash Guards, LED Interior and Bed Lights, Retrx Pro MX Tonneau Cover
post #16 of 227 (permalink) Old 04-04-2015, 01:47 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnz View Post
I have to check my window sticker. I just did a Google search and sure enough, there was a window sticker online that did clearly say "LED daytime running lights." That's clearly not what we got. I'm guessing they intended to do that, but the LED's ultimately ended up not being bright enough to qualify, so they switched it?

Technically, the DRL and the low beam headlight are the same so when the headlight is on, the LED strips are on as well so this is kind of what we got. I too, would prefer if the LED were on all the time, it is kind of one of the reasons I bought the truck in the first place. I wonder if I took it to the dealership and asked them to code it in if they would do it (if possible) since it is not a safety issue? If anyone finds a solution, please share.

2015 Canyon All Terrain
Onyx Black
All the toys..
post #17 of 227 (permalink) Old 04-05-2015, 12:19 AM
Jnz

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgjax View Post
Technically, the DRL and the low beam headlight are the same so when the headlight is on, the LED strips are on as well so this is kind of what we got. I too, would prefer if the LED were on all the time, it is kind of one of the reasons I bought the truck in the first place. I wonder if I took it to the dealership and asked them to code it in if they would do it (if possible) since it is not a safety issue? If anyone finds a solution, please share.
No, on mine, the DRL's are only the low beams. The LED's do not come on until the full-strength headlights and parking lights come on. I bet the LED's are actually tied into the parking lights, and not the low beams.

I forgot to check my window sticker, though. I have a later build, and I think the window sticker on mine didn't say "LED Daytime Running Lights," which would mean that GM at least corrected the paperwork. (I would rather seen them wire it the way it should've been wired!)

I doubt the dealer would be able to do anything. If my window sticker says LED DRL's, though, I'll have my dealer get GM involved.

2015 Canyon SLT CC SB, Cyber Gray, Bose, Nav., Driver Alert, Line-X Spray-on liner, 3" Assist Steps, GM Splash Guards, LED Interior and Bed Lights, Retrx Pro MX Tonneau Cover
post #18 of 227 (permalink) Old 04-05-2015, 10:33 AM

mine says
- Headlamps, Projector Type with LED Signature
- Daytime Running Lamps

Canyon SLT Crew Cab, Short Box 2WD/4WD
Emerald Green Metallic/Cocoa Dune
Sliding Rear Window, Exterior Package, Spray Liner
GearOn Divider, Audio/Naviagtion/Bose
BAK Revolver X2 Cover, Front Window Llumar Tint
post #19 of 227 (permalink) Old 04-05-2015, 05:37 PM
Jnz

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU Canyon View Post
mine says
- Headlamps, Projector Type with LED Signature
- Daytime Running Lamps
GM must have realized the error at some point and corrected the window sticker to match reality. I didn't notice this omission before taking delivery (it's kind of hard to see the DRL's when you're insider the vehicle). My window sticker says "Headlamps, Projector-Type w/ LED Daytime Running Lamps".

post #20 of 227 (permalink) Old 04-20-2015, 05:55 PM

I too expected to have "LED DRLs" for my Canyon. I'd love to find a write-up on how to make these signature LEDs run as the solo DRLs, or just with the DRLs if the first isn't possible.

I've been searching this forum left and right and this seems to be the only thread on this topic. Hard to believe the genius DIYers on this forum haven't tackled this yet (not being sarcastic if it sounds that way). Or has it been done and I'm just missing it somewhere?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode