Automatic Light Sensor - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

Automatic Light Sensor

Hey has anyone experienced this issue with their automatic light sensor? I'm not talking about the DRL either. It seems no matter how bright it is outside all my normal lights stay on. The lamps on icon is on in the DIC, the instrument panel and infotainment system lights are dimmed. Is that sensor that sensitive? I'm going to make an appointment whenever I get a chance, but wanted to see if this was widespread. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 08:41 PM

Yeah, check it out manually.

A while back somebody complained about a similar scenario (previous model). They eventually followed up with something like

"my wife put something on the dashboard covering the eye".

Can you disable the DRL system on the new truck like you could on the previous truck? If so, disable and see if the lights are still on. I do not know for sure if that will work though...I shut mine off 98% of the time so I can't be sure if they will still turn on with the 'eye' if I've shut down the system.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 08:41 PM

I thought I read in the manual that they come one with the wipers as well, right?

2015 Black Canyon
Crew Cab Short Box All Terrain

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 10:29 PM

Mine r always on ??? Guess this may be something to have them Check when I do the first oil change.tried the flash light , didn't turn it off.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 10:56 PM

Which lights are the DRL lights? Are they headlights again? Or LED's? Running lights?

Others should be able to easily confirm which lights are on during the day in normal conditions.

Sounds like Meg is stating her headlights are always on, likewise the dash lights as well. Under normal DRL conditions only the DRL lights should be illuminated, not the dash lights,correct?
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisz71 View Post
Mine r always on ??? Guess this may be something to have them Check when I do the first oil change.tried the flash light , didn't turn it off.
Your what are always on?
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 10:59 AM

Mine come on at the "right" time.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

Quick update made appointment with dealer to have it looked at. The DRL on the Colorado are headlights but at reduced power. No other lights should be illuminated when they are on according to the owners manual. The issue I have is they (DRL) hardly ever come on seems like sensor thinks it is dark or low light all the time.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegZ71 View Post
Quick update made appointment with dealer to have it looked at. The DRL on the Colorado are headlights but at reduced power. No other lights should be illuminated when they are on according to the owners manual. The issue I have is they (DRL) hardly ever come on seems like sensor thinks it is dark or low light all the time.
And you have confired the eye isn't obstructed?

It should be up on the passenger side of the dashboard (facing up) in the corner near the glass (if you didn't know).
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Canyon View Post

It should be up on the passenger side of the dashboard (facing up) in the corner near the glass (if you didn't know).
The eye on the new twins is centered on the dash.

2015 GMC Canyon SLT, V6 Crew Cab Short Bed - Quicksilver Metallic, Driver Alert package, Navigation, Bose Audio, Trailering Package.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos31820 View Post
The eye on the new twins is centered on the dash.
Awesome. Thanks for the clarification.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 05:46 PM

Quote:
And you have confirmed the eye isn't obstructed?
And the headlamp switch is turned to AUTO ?

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

I sure have, there is nothing on dash to obstruct it. I dropped off at the dealer this mornings and they called me around noon, stating they could not recreate the problem. Of course as,soon as I left the dealer it started again. It was was clear bright sunny day go figure.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHMag View Post
And the headlamp switch is turned to AUTO ?
Yep it in auto. When auto is turned off DRL are off and headlight icon in DIC would not be illuminated.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegZ71 View Post
I sure have, there is nothing on dash to obstruct it. I dropped off at the dealer this mornings and they called me around noon, stating they could not recreate the problem. Of course as,soon as I left the dealer it started again. It was was clear bright sunny day go figure.
Figures.....
Sounds like you do not have any problems recreating the problem on your own. Geesh.
Are you going back to follow up?
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 08:28 PM

I have found parking in the shade will turn on the headlights and darken the backup camera also stopping for a light and being under a tree. I leave my dash lights set to high or turn off auto. Living in the south has me looking for shade anytime I park. I just dim dash lights when the sun goes down for real. Just having fun with tech!
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 02:19 PM

Is the green indicator light on the DIC...looks like a 'light' ...comes on seeming at random...the auto sensor indictor? Can't find that symbol in manual.

2016 Colorado Duramax LT CyberGray Longbox 4WD
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 02:59 PM

Mine are the same. Very frustrating heading west in the morning. The darkened screen on the Nav won't go away! Someone posted a fix on the forum some time ago consisting of putting a switch inline on the sensor. You can control it yourself then. I don't know where that post was, but maybe someone knows and can link?
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 04:13 PM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode